"Harvard medical school course claims infants can belong to a 'gender and sexual minority'"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:14:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Harvard medical school course claims infants can belong to a 'gender and sexual minority'"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Harvard medical school course claims infants can belong to a 'gender and sexual minority'"  (Read 1063 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2023, 11:16:00 PM »

Peak Atlas threaf.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2023, 11:29:42 PM »

Not sure why I want to share this with you sickos but one of my cousins is a "hermaphrodite". By this I mean that she was born with some male sex organs (I do not know the details). Notice I refer to her as a woman because that's what she is, how she was raised etc.

Probably the best argument against weird biological sex reasoning is that sometimes it doesn't work that way. Clearly how someone like this identifies will be 100% socially constructed because, well, due to some mutation, they face some limitations and oddities in life. People who want a clear demarcation from biology won't get it in 100% of cases because nature doesn't actually work that way...

Hermaphrodites are completely unrelated to transgender people. There is no equivalency to be drawn between them, and the issues they face are entirely different.

What biological sex is my cousin based on her genitals then, genius?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2023, 12:26:12 AM »

Well, I can say I've been attracted to girls for as far back as my memory goes, and at least according to my parents, it was clear that I "liked" that first girl I remember having a crush on when I was just 10 months old. So, this really doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me unless you want to try to claim that same-sex attraction somehow develops fundamentally differently than opposite-sex attraction.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2023, 02:09:16 AM »

Not sure why I want to share this with you sickos but one of my cousins is a "hermaphrodite". By this I mean that she was born with some male sex organs (I do not know the details). Notice I refer to her as a woman because that's what she is, how she was raised etc.

Probably the best argument against weird biological sex reasoning is that sometimes it doesn't work that way. Clearly how someone like this identifies will be 100% socially constructed because, well, due to some mutation, they face some limitations and oddities in life. People who want a clear demarcation from biology won't get it in 100% of cases because nature doesn't actually work that way...

Hermaphrodites are completely unrelated to transgender people. There is no equivalency to be drawn between them, and the issues they face are entirely different.

What biological sex is my cousin based on her genitals then, genius?

Your cousin is intersex. Why do you think this would be controversial? I'm legitimately confused.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2023, 02:27:39 AM »

Your cousin is intersex. Why do you think this would be controversial? I'm legitimately confused.

I believe their point was just to say it's not a fair claim to say "infants cannot be a gender minority" when clearly intersex people are that type of minority and that is how certain people are born. They are not the same as trans people, of course, but they are two types of gender minorities, and I believe that's the only point trying to be made here.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2023, 02:36:44 AM »

There is debate on whether or not sexuality is innate, nature vs. nurture etc, which I find fascinating personally. I remember seeing a study that while they were able to find certain genes that tended to exist in homosexual people it was far from as consistent as was originally thought. I don't know that in the current climate this type of thing is particularly...great to research, but I find that sad because, rather selfishly, I'd love to know what "made me the way I am" you know? I have no qualms about it being innate or not, because if I chose this, well I don't remember doing that and I'm not bothered by the outcome so it's a non issue. I know it could be deemed "offensive" though which is unfortunate as well. I'm not sure if a similar thing has come up in trans issues, but assuming these are innate things then, well, yes, I guess infants do belong to those minorities technically, but we of course have no way of knowing this at all until they're much older. So it's, again, a non-issue. That's not really an outlandish comment to make, even though I don't think this was in any way what the actual course was trying to state, as was pointed out by people before.

I will also say I remember having "gay interests" from a very, very young age, before I understood really what anything meant other than "I like this boy why do I want to kiss him?" but managed to repress that until puberty. So who knows!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2023, 07:08:52 AM »

This thread should have ended at post six, where Illiniwek admitted he hadn't read the article.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2023, 07:10:09 AM »

This thread should have ended at post six, where Illiniwek admitted he hadn't read the article.

Atlas gonna Atlas.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2023, 11:31:12 AM »

Atlas gonna Atlas.

Listen, I had read other articles about this story from sources like Daily Mail, Fox News, etc. I did not want to cite those as sources, so I found the most neutral source I could find. I read that article in large part, but did not see that final paragraph that was separated from the rest of the text by an ad. I thought I had read the entire article. I apologize that I didn't see the final paragraph, and I apologize for starting the thread.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2023, 04:46:11 PM »

I believe their point was just to say it's not a fair claim to say "infants cannot be a gender minority" when clearly intersex people are that type of minority and that is how certain people are born. They are not the same as trans people, of course, but they are two types of gender minorities, and I believe that's the only point trying to be made here.

Transphobes do this thing where they say things that clearly imply that intersex people are bad and/or should be ignored, and then when you call them out on it, they scream, "How dare you try to rope intersex people into your evil transgender cult!"
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2023, 05:00:01 PM »

No one is "obsessed" with talking about intersex people. Everyone accepts the biological reality of their situation and their rights should not be up for debate.
This is demonstrably false?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies