DeSantis warns NHL to Remove ‘Discriminatory Prohibitions’ from Minority-Only Hockey Summit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 08:20:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis warns NHL to Remove ‘Discriminatory Prohibitions’ from Minority-Only Hockey Summit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: DeSantis warns NHL to Remove ‘Discriminatory Prohibitions’ from Minority-Only Hockey Summit  (Read 3675 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2023, 12:15:00 PM »

It's also just good business. If a non-sports company realizes its product isn't doing well with black people, so it does market research into why by asking them, it's not "racism" to do that. Well-run companies like expanding their markets and increasing their customers.
Yep, you're absolutely correct.

The NHL in the United States wants to reach the diversity levels that they have in Canada. Whenever I watch NHL games that take place in Canada, I always notice that (most of the time) there's much more non-White people in the stands than at games played in the United States.

Of course, most Canadian NHL fans are White (Canada is majority-White) but there's still a decent percentage of non-White Canadian NHL fans at the games. I will see Asian Canadians, Black Canadians, a few Indigenous Canadians and so on.

Meanwhile, I will rarely see that here in America. The amount of non-White American NHL fans is much more sparse. A lot of the time, some of the non-White fans in attendance will be a celebrity or athlete (usually Black player(s) from the local NBA or NFL team). This disparity is reflected even further because the overwhelmingly majority of non-White NHL players both historically and presently are Canadian.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2023, 12:22:29 PM »

It's also just good business. If a non-sports company realizes its product isn't doing well with black people, so it does market research into why by asking them, it's not "racism" to do that. Well-run companies like expanding their markets and increasing their customers.

The NHL in the United States wants to reach the diversity levels that they have in Canada. Whenever I watch NHL games that take place in Canada, I always notice that (most of the time) there's much more non-White people in the stands than at games played in the United States.

Of course, most Canadian NHL fans are White (Canada is majority-White) but there's still a decent percentage of non-White Canadian NHL fans at the games. I will see Asian Canadians, Black Canadians, a few Indigenous Canadians and so on.

Meanwhile, I will rarely see that here in America. The amount of non-White American NHL fans is much more sparse. A lot of the time, some of the non-White fans in attendance will be a celebrity or athlete (usually Black player(s) from the local NBA or NFL team). This disparity is reflected even further because the overwhelmingly majority of non-White NHL players both historically and presently are Canadian.

Hockey is no where near as fun of a sport to watch as Basketball or Football which is why it’s a far more regional sport .

head pilot of woke air force one
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2023, 12:28:40 PM by the Laramide Erogeny ⛰ (he/him) »

Imagine trying to defend an event that bans white men as not discrimination.

The conversation should really have stopped with this post.

It's a job fair that explicitly bans white men from attending. It's great to have a job fair that encourages marginalized people to join the work force and includes programming for them. Just don't literally stop certain people from entering the premises. Open the doors to everybody and retain the programming that is targeted towards the marginalized groups (a lot of professional conferences have affinity-based mixers) and you'll still get mostly the same effect.

I think it's good to diversity the coaching staff of the NHL (and NFL which I care more about) but going to the mat to defend a job fair that explicitly bans a demographic is creepy and ghoulish.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2023, 12:25:55 PM »

Companies do this when their workforces are overwhelmingly white and male because of who-knows-who and need to make specific outreach to ensure diverse Americans are aware of opportunities that they don't hear about or can't envision themself in. It's not hard to see why hockey would historically be non-diverse.

It seems like DeSantis and anyone cheering this on is upset with non-white Americans having an opportunity to get a job in an industry traditionally hostile to them.

Is hockey less diverse than the NBA or the NFL?

Is this a serious question? You realize in less time than it took you to post this, you could have Googled and found the breakdowns of all 3 leagues?

Share those stats, then.

It fluctuates a bit from year to year, but approximately:

NHL: over 90% white
NBA: around 75% black
NFL: around 70% black
MLB: around 60% white

I can't imagine anyone who watches any of these leagues being surprised by any of the above numbers.

90 is a bigger number than 75, but the point is none of these leagues are "diverse" (outside of possibly baseball, which still gets diversity criticisms about not having "enough" black people despite the large number of Hispanics and Asians) but the NHL is the only one anyone expects to have "diversity" summits. If every sports league is required to be a cross section of the public then why aren't the NFL and NBA having summits to figure out how to get more white or just non black people to play? Or we can just accept that different ethnicities are going to be culturally interested in different sports and call it a day.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 12:43:35 PM »

It's a job fair that explicitly bans white men from attending. It's great to have a job fair that encourages marginalized people to join the work force and includes programming for them. Just don't literally stop certain people from entering the premises. Open the doors to everybody and retain the programming that is targeted towards the marginalized groups (a lot of professional conferences have affinity-based mixers) and you'll still get mostly the same effect.

I think it's good to diversity the coaching staff of the NHL (and NFL which I care more about) but going to the mat to defend a job fair that explicitly bans a demographic is creepy and ghoulish.
White men aren't completely banned as the event also allows people who are LGBT and disabled. There White men who are disabled and White men who are members of the LGBT community. There are White men who are both LGBT and disabled.

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with the event.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2023, 12:49:31 PM »

White men aren't completely banned as the event also allows people who are LGBT and disabled. There White men who are disabled and White men who are members of the LGBT community. There are White men who are both LGBT and disabled.

This is a lol worthy defense
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2023, 12:51:25 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2023, 01:09:52 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

90 is a bigger number than 75, but the point is none of these leagues are "diverse" (outside of possibly baseball, which still gets diversity criticisms about not having "enough" black people despite the large number of Hispanics and Asians) but the NHL is the only one anyone expects to have "diversity" summits. If every sports league is required to be a cross section of the public then why aren't the NFL and NBA having summits to figure out how to get more white or just non black people to play? Or we can just accept that different ethnicities are going to be culturally interested in different sports and call it a day.
The NBA has a steady stream of White European players that have entered the league including 2 of the biggest NBA stars right now (Luka Doncic & Nikola Jokic). The NFL has many non-Black players, if the NFL was over 90% Black, there would definitely be conversations to diversify the league. Anyways, the MLB is the only Big 4 North American sports league to be racially/ethnically diverse.

However, I don't think that anyone is saying that the NHL has to be a "cross section of the public". People are just saying that instead of the NHL being over 90% White, maybe it could be 75-80% instead?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2023, 12:53:09 PM »

This is a lol worthy defense
No, it's not.

Also, I've already said that even if White men are "completely banned" from this event then that means nothing in a sport that is over 90% White men. Also, like I said earlier, until the NHL bans White men from all NHL events, then this is a non-story.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2023, 01:21:22 PM »

The NBA has a steady stream of White European players that have entered the league including 2 of the biggest NBA stars right now (Luka Doncic & Nikola Jokic). The NFL has many non-Black players, if the NFL was over 90% Black, there would definitely be conversations to diversify the league. Anyways, the MLB is the only Big 4 North American sports league to be racially/ethnically diverse.

However, I don't think that anyone is saying that the NHL has to be a "cross section of the public". People are just saying that instead of the NHL being over 90% White, maybe it could be 75-80% instead?

Also, the NHL is emphasizing diversity on its own as a tactic to expand its market. No one is forcing them to do it, so the "why doesn't the NBA do this too?" argument doesn't really mean anything. Maybe the NBA will decide to at some point. Or maybe they're happy with the niche they have.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2023, 01:25:07 PM »

Hockey is no where near as fun of a sport to watch as Basketball or Football which is why it’s a far more regional sport .

Psychologist's fallacy
head pilot of woke air force one
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2023, 01:25:42 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2023, 01:33:45 PM by the Laramide Erogeny ⛰ (he/him) »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

This isn't a meetup or a concert, it's a job fair. It's a way for people to enter the work force, make a job transition into a field they find more fulfilling, and possibly start a career. It's one of the things that has the most consequential material benefits possible in our society.

I take it on faith that there's are racial disparities within hockey as an entire industry, and it's good that the NHL is interested in addressing this. But it's unequivocally bad to shut the door on opportunities (which a job fair is intentionally designed to create) for certain demographics who are themselves seeking jobs.

The insidious thing about this is that it isn't even punishing people who currently occupy jobs or, heaven forbid, the people doing the hiring, but it punishes the people who are on the outside looking in. If I'm a white, 26 year old grocery store clerk who played hockey in high school and is interested in figuring out how to find a farm-league job, I'm not part of the problem and I shouldn't be shut out of a job fair where I get to meet people who can set me up with opportunities and it's disgusting to frame it otherwise. It's totally fair to provide an infrastructure for excluded people to compete against me but to prohibit me from an event designed to help connect people with jobs is exclusionary and anti-liberal.

ETA: even though it's pretty self-evident why the above argument about disabled/lgbt white people is idiotic: if I want to go to a job fair and try to figure out how to land a farm-league job it's nobody's ing business who I have sex with, and it especially shouldn't be a requirement for me to share who I have sex with or if I'm disabled when other people at the fair don't. You really didn't think about this even for a split-second before you posted it. Absolutely disgusting attitude to have.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2023, 01:35:51 PM »

DeSantis is part of the "white people are really oppressed" crowd. Don't forget he diluted the Black vote in Jacksonville to create a new White district.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2023, 02:12:26 PM »

This isn't a meetup or a concert, it's a job fair. It's a way for people to enter the work force, make a job transition into a field they find more fulfilling, and possibly start a career. It's one of the things that has the most consequential material benefits possible in our society.

I take it on faith that there's are racial disparities within hockey as an entire industry, and it's good that the NHL is interested in addressing this. But it's unequivocally bad to shut the door on opportunities (which a job fair is intentionally designed to create) for certain demographics who are themselves seeking jobs.

The insidious thing about this is that it isn't even punishing people who currently occupy jobs or, heaven forbid, the people doing the hiring, but it punishes the people who are on the outside looking in. If I'm a white, 26 year old grocery store clerk who played hockey in high school and is interested in figuring out how to find a farm-league job, I'm not part of the problem and I shouldn't be shut out of a job fair where I get to meet people who can set me up with opportunities and it's disgusting to frame it otherwise. It's totally fair to provide an infrastructure for excluded people to compete against me but to prohibit me from an event designed to help connect people with jobs is exclusionary and anti-liberal.

ETA: even though it's pretty self-evident why the above argument about disabled/lgbt white people is idiotic: if I want to go to a job fair and try to figure out how to land a farm-league job it's nobody's ing business who I have sex with, and it especially shouldn't be a requirement for me to share who I have sex with or if I'm disabled when other people at the fair don't. You really didn't think about this even for a split-second before you posted it. Absolutely disgusting attitude to have.
You can roll your eyes all you want, I don't care.

Unless, the NHL is systematically banning White men from employment (as players, executives, staff and so on), then this is a NON-STORY. Period.

The NHL doesn't need a job fair for White men because White men run the league in every facet. I reiterate that there is nothing wrong with this event.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2023, 02:33:59 PM »

DeSantis is part of the "white people are really oppressed" crowd. Don't forget he diluted the Black vote in Jacksonville to create a new White district.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2023, 02:42:39 PM »

The big news coming from this is that if DeSantis is president, he could use the civil rights act to outlaw the use of affirmative action nationwide.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2023, 02:45:37 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2023, 03:08:23 PM by ProudModerate2 »

When the sport is over 90% White men,  that's not even close to "discrimination".

Also, the NHL isn't banning White men from the sport nor is this event the only event that they host. If the NHL banned White men from all NHL events then maybe your stupid "point" would make some sense.

Agree.
It's an event to show other groups that the NHL has a possible interest in hiring them. The NHL (all the "white guys") probably see it within themselves, that they have "an issue" with too many of their "own kind," and are seeking to diversify their own organization.

I does not mean it will hire them over "white men," nor does it mean that they will not hire or not consider hiring white men at all.
And I would be willing to bet that if a white guy walked-in to this show, they would be fine with it. But this event is specifically advertised to entice/attract the other groups.

Why anyone would throw a fit for such an event is incredible.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2023, 02:48:48 PM »

They know its discrimination.  They just think its good to discriminate against white men.

God you people are insufferable.

They're more concerned with being Message Board Heroes than living in the real world. Obviously if any company wants to expand their market to additional groups of people (whether that's race, gender, age, or whatever), it will involve market research into those particular groups. It's not "discrimination" if that research only focuses on the groups they're trying to attract and doesn't cloud itself by also researching the opinions of the groups they already have.

They could have called it a diversity summit without saying some people are prohibited from attending

Unless I missed it in the story, I did not see that they are "prohibited" from attending.
By the way, the show also invites "military veterans."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2023, 02:53:05 PM »

Where are you seeing that it says it "bans white men from attending."
It says they encourage all military veterans, which may include "white men."
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2023, 02:56:28 PM »

One of the things I really find unsettling about Ron DeSantis is the constant focus on cultural issues - race being one of them, queer people being another.  He seems to be obsessed over these issues, and that could be made out to actually be a weakness.

He's the 2024 frontrunner to be leader of the party, so I'd expect there to be more to him than just "anti-woke".

I haven't heard a single thing about his economic policies.  Running as a populist, but very little about the bread and butter/kitchen table issues... and that's an area to distinguish him from Joe Biden.

Joe is not guaranteed re-election at all (I'd say it's a tossup for 2024), but if Grandpa focuses on the issues that matter to most of MI/PA/WI voters he still has a chance.

Ron comes across as more of a die-hard social conservative activist than as a governor or a head of state.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2023, 03:00:34 PM »

I haven't heard a single thing about his economic policies.  Running as a populist, but very little about the bread and butter/kitchen table issues... and that's an area to distinguish him from Joe Biden.

It is cause the media has not covered them much but DeSantis has done a good deal on economics in the state of Florida.

-  cut taxes for small businesses, and is pushing for family specific tax breaks this upcoming term as well

- has a energy policy which increases production using both renewable and non renewable sources ,

- has streamlined regulatory agencies

- shown that he would take on corporate power as well .

The media just doesn't cover these actions cause it would not get as many ratings as the hot button social issues
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2023, 03:06:36 PM »

Who says they are "shutting the door" on you or other white males.
I'm sure they would have no problem talking to you if you are a 26 year old white grocery store working male.

Like you said it's a job fair. Most of the time, they do not hire people on the spot, in these events. They simply talk to participants and take resumes. They will review all resumes and applications they received via the job fair, and via other methods they have for receiving candidates for hire. And after this event, I assure you that the organization will still have an overwhelming amount of more white male candidates (and their resumes and applications), then all these other groups combined.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2023, 03:10:51 PM »

This is entirely a matter of opinion. Basketball is a lot of fun to watch, but honestly football is a snoozefest, almost as bad as baseball and soccer.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2023, 03:11:52 PM »

This is entirely a matter of opinion. Basketball is a lot of fun to watch, but honestly football is a snoozefest, almost as bad as baseball and soccer.

Sure but that is what the ratings show here.
Freshly-touched grass
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2023, 03:12:26 PM »

The so-called fight against wokeness is just a smoke screen to distract people from the low salaries, if any,  they earn.

Certain folks have been mocked for saying that people are victims of the Matrix, but it is the truth; albeit not quite for the same reasons as those people think they are. I believe most of the people in this thread are living in the Matrix. All the while, DeSantis and his fellow members of the owning class are getting richer by the minute.

I wish every culture war "issue" would just magically disappear, but we can't have nice things and modern politics is so dumbed-down. I feel especially bad for the Zoomers who are being pushed from one extremist, often identity-based, ideology to the next.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2023, 03:17:28 PM »

It is cause the media has not covered them much but DeSantis has done a good deal on economics in the state of Florida.

-  cut taxes for small businesses, and is pushing for family specific tax breaks this upcoming term as well

- has a energy policy which increases production using both renewable and non renewable sources ,

- has streamlined regulatory agencies

- shown that he would take on corporate power as well .

The media just doesn't cover these actions cause it would not get as many ratings as the hot button social issues

The media includes Fox News, and other other right-wing media outlets, who mainly serve to show and educate their predominate white viewers what they want.
So don't forget to blame these right-sided media outlets for pushing their bigoted narrative, over stories dealing with "economics."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies