Get ready for riots. Macron trying to increase pension age in France (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:48:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Get ready for riots. Macron trying to increase pension age in France (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Get ready for riots. Macron trying to increase pension age in France  (Read 6630 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 12, 2023, 08:03:26 AM »

It doesn't make sense when we're going to need to begin creating UBI's as a kind of "any age pension" sooner than later.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 09:59:16 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 11:47:56 PM by Blue3 »

If you think wages should be raised to account for inflation, you must also think that the retirement age must be raised to account for longer lifespans.
Nope. Because automation is happening, longer lives doesn't mean healthy longer lives, and if we can afford to make it easier for people to save up for an earlier break from work then we should.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 03:53:37 AM »

Slighty off topic, but I wonder whether Macron would actually lose if the 2022 election was re-run now?

One thing to note is that Macron made this unpopular policy a campaign promise . I actually respect Macron a lot for doing that. The warnings were clearly there, anyone who cared so much about pensions could have voted for icky Le Pen.

I was about to make the same comment.  It seems to me if this pension reform was a deal breaker then the French electorate could have just voted for Le Pen who was clearly against this move.  They did not so it seems to me Macron has a mandate to move forward.
Just because they viewed Le Pen is worse than pension reform, doesn't mean they voted for pension reform, nevermind Macron having a "mandate" for pension reform.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies