Get ready for riots. Macron trying to increase pension age in France (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:36:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Get ready for riots. Macron trying to increase pension age in France (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Get ready for riots. Macron trying to increase pension age in France  (Read 6647 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« on: March 17, 2023, 04:25:04 PM »

I wonder if this is some Macron-LR deal.  LR cannot vote for pension reform but will vote against no-confidence motions. 
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 04:16:55 PM »

Slighty off topic, but I wonder whether Macron would actually lose if the 2022 election was re-run now?

One thing to note is that Macron made this unpopular policy a campaign promise . I actually respect Macron a lot for doing that. The warnings were clearly there, anyone who cared so much about pensions could have voted for icky Le Pen.

I was about to make the same comment.  It seems to me if this pension reform was a deal breaker then the French electorate could have just voted for Le Pen who was clearly against this move.  They did not so it seems to me Macron has a mandate to move forward.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 03:34:58 AM »

If I understand correctly, France's retirement age was 65 before 1983 and only Mitterrand changed it to 60.  So it seems the last 40 years have been mostly about how to reverse this lousy move by Mitterrand step by step.  I am against this entire concept of pensions but if there is going to be one it seems to me retirement age should be linked to life expectancy just like all sorts of various government benefits and tax thresholds should be linked to inflation.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 05:46:24 AM »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-01/fewer-french-support-protests-against-pension-reform-poll-shows

"Fewer French Support Protests Against Pension Reform, Poll Shows"

Total support and sympathy for protest fell from 62 to 57.  Macron's strategy of just stonewalling and waiting this out is working.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies