Latvia elects first gay president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:48:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Latvia elects first gay president
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Latvia elects first gay president  (Read 247 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2023, 10:06:15 PM »

More great news on the LGBTQ a progress front from a Baltic nation, this time Latvia, which has elected its first gay president (and hopefully same-sex marriage legalization is quick to come)
https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/latvian-parliament-elects-first-openly-gay-president-baltic-nation-rcna87077

HELSINKI — Latvian lawmakers on Wednesday picked the country’s long-serving popular foreign minister, a strong backer of Ukraine, as its new head of state in a tight vote.

The 100-seat Saeima legislature elected Edgars Rinkēvičs, the country’s top diplomat since 2011, as president to serve for a four-year term. He received 52 votes, one vote more than required to win. Incumbent Egils Levits, Latvia’s head of state since 2019, didn’t seek re-election.

Rinkēvičs, who announced in 2014 that he is “proudly” homosexual, will be the first openly gay president in the Baltic nations
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 07:18:54 AM »

Wonder if this is partly trolling their big neighbour?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »

I am doubtful that Latvia legalizes SSM soon considering that a 2016 Pew survey showed only 16% support by adults in Latvia. Incidentally it's the only country I can think of in Europe where the traditional Protestant church has remained socially conservative to this day, with its Synod voting in 2016 to restrict ordination to men only. Things can change, but all the data I have seen places it pretty far down the list of candidate countries to do so.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 10:39:05 PM »

I am doubtful that Latvia legalizes SSM soon considering that a 2016 Pew survey showed only 16% support by adults in Latvia. Incidentally it's the only country I can think of in Europe where the traditional Protestant church has remained socially conservative to this day, with its Synod voting in 2016 to restrict ordination to men only. Things can change, but all the data I have seen places it pretty far down the list of candidate countries to do so.
Well its neighbor Estonia just legalized SSM.
And with Russia adopting anti-gay rhetoric as a form of Russian nationalism, other countries from Ukraine to Poland to Estonia have begun embracing gay rights/pride.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies