SB 113-8: Preventing Degeneracy Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:48:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 113-8: Preventing Degeneracy Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: SB 113-8: Preventing Degeneracy Act (Passed)  (Read 2365 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2023, 05:45:22 PM »

I'd be curious to learn why a libertarian voted Aye on such an authoritarian bill.

Because I don't believe government should be involved, but I also believe that in many cases of this bill could be very harmful for others.

Because they were clearly being told to do so.

Uncalled for and untrue. I voted my conscious. I was torn and avidly reading debate on here, but I couldn't get myself to justify voting against this.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2023, 06:00:38 PM »

Uncalled for and untrue. I voted my conscious. I was torn and avidly reading debate on here, but I couldn't get myself to justify voting against this.

I'll take you for your word here and I believe you.

I disagree with the act (or parts of the act to be clear) and i'm disappointed, but I respect the result of the vote.

Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2023, 06:07:13 PM »

I'll take you for your word here and I believe you.

I disagree with the act (or parts of the act to be clear) and i'm disappointed, but I respect the result of the vote.

Thank you. For what it's worth, I didn't fully agree with everything in the bill either, but felt the net good was worth voting for.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not running for re election. If I could give more attention, I would have participated in debate more and likely write an amendment or two.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2023, 02:41:52 PM »

Frankly, my approach to this bill was similar to Enduro, and I had a conversation with Mr. R about some of my concerns about government overreach and my skepticism of the government being able to effectively enforce beyond the "worst of the worst" so to speak. Case in point, the War on Drugs, which I have referenced frequently.

Ultimately, you do have the weigh the balance and I can imagine that for Enduro and Deadprez, they are in a much worse position because if they took the "Laki Doctrine" they would likely be voting No on every last bill or close to it. I leave myself a little bit more flexibility and ultimately I came down on the side of prioritizing the protected in some portions of the bill over some concerns regarding gov't efficacy in other sections, if that makes sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies