SB 113-3: Game Moderator Candidates Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:11:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 113-3: Game Moderator Candidates Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 113-3: Game Moderator Candidates Act (Passed)  (Read 733 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2023, 10:04:57 AM »
« edited: February 01, 2023, 12:09:47 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

GAME MODERATOR CANDIDATES ACT

1. The Game Engine Restructuring and GM Team Creation Act shall be amended as follows:

Section 3: Game Moderation Team

i. The president shall appoint three (3) members of the game moderation team (henceforth referred to as "the GM team") with the advice and consent of the Senate.

ii. The GM team shall have power, except where limited elsewhere by this legislation:

(a) to simulate the effect of domestic and foreign legislation of the government of Atlasia and of the several regions;
(b) to simulate the actions of non-playable entities;
(c) to simulate domestic and global events;
(d) to be the final arbiter in all questions of the reality of events which occur during their tenure;
(e) to be the final arbiter on the reality of the status quo with respect domestic and global conditions.

iii. The word of the GM team, once spoken, is Canon, and may not be revoked by their successor.

iv. Members of the GM team may be removed from office according to the same provisions set in place for the impeachment of executive officers.

v. A majority of members of the GM team may not hold any other elected or appointed office in either the Federal or Regional Governments.

2. This act shall take effect immediately.

Sponsor: Laki
Debate on this bill is now open.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »

This is a minor tweak to allow members of the GM team serve in Regional governments.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 11:25:59 PM »

Also waiting for Laki to show up here but my main thought is that the GM does in fact still write about regional governments and that clause was added in the first place to prevent exactly this kind of appearance of conflict of interest. Unless we want to do away with the whole thing, but that would need a different set of questions in itself.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 01:04:19 AM »

I share concerns about the conflict of interest potential here.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 01:43:40 AM »

Also waiting for Laki to show up here but my main thought is that the GM does in fact still write about regional governments and that clause was added in the first place to prevent exactly this kind of appearance of conflict of interest. Unless we want to do away with the whole thing, but that would need a different set of questions in itself.

Personally, as a member of the GM Team, I'd prefer either this approach, or outright prohibiting members of the team from serving in any position other than being part of the GM Team.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 01:47:46 AM »

I'm not sure if I can offer an amendment since I'm not a Senator, so if someone would be willing to cosponsor, that would be great.

1. The Game Engine Restructuring and GM Team Creation Act shall be amended as follows:

i. The president shall appoint three (3) members of the game moderation team (henceforth referred to as "the GM team") with the advice and consent of the Senate.

ii. The GM team shall have power, except where limited elsewhere by this legislation:

(a) to simulate the effect of domestic and foreign legislation of the government of Atlasia and of the several regions;
(d) to be the final arbiter in all questions of the reality of events which occur during their tenure;
(e) to be the final arbiter on the reality of the status quo with respect domestic and global conditions.

iii. The word of the GM team, once spoken, is Canon, and may not be revoked by their successor.

iv. Members of the GM team may be removed from office according to the same provisions set in place for the impeachment of executive officers.

v. A majority of Members of the GM team may not hold any other elected or appointed office in either the Federal or Regional Governments.

2. This act shall take effect immediately on the first election following this bill's passage.

Sponsor: Laki
Debate on this bill is now open.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 01:48:12 AM »

yeah, the only reason a member could also be an elected official was less because of me and more because I assumed there would be cases where 3 willing non-elected citizens could not be found. Expanding it any further is likely to result in issues.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 04:16:49 AM »

The reason why I propose this is because I believe regional governments are good for "testing the waters" and allow for more experimenting as a way to learn the ropes of the game. In recent times, we've had struggles populating the Lincoln General Court, populating Fremont (there is only a parliament of three people now), etc. . I think it would beneficial for the game if we allow outside of the one GM that can run federally, other GM's to run for regional office, that often struggle more with activity. It would also make the function of GM more attractive to others if in the future someone would lose its interest in the function. A GM always need to have integrity, even if they don't hold function, given we have seen in the past that the job can be abused even if they hold no elective office. And while in elective office a GM is able to give feedback from her/his/their perspective of view.

yeah, the only reason a member could also be an elected official was less because of me and more because I assumed there would be cases where 3 willing non-elected citizens could not be found. Expanding it any further is likely to result in issues.

It is not proposed to expand federally to avoid conflict of interest.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 07:36:09 AM »

Maybe a GM team member who's also a member of a regional legislature or a Governor should just recuse themselves and not write stories relating to their own region.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 11:02:10 PM »

LT's suggestion seems like a good compromise here.

In the event that we get three GMs from the same region we can kiss stories about Lincoln or wherever goodbye for a short while, I guess, but as it happens when I made the current appointment everyone came from a different region and in the ideal case that would be respected by future presidents.

Not a big fan of restricting the candidate pool even further for the same reason as WB.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 01:47:09 PM »

I agree with LT's suggestion.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 08:02:28 AM »

Maybe a GM team member who's also a member of a regional legislature or a Governor should just recuse themselves and not write stories relating to their own region.

Is that an amendment proposal?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 01:32:45 PM »

I'd be open to a resign-to-run law for members of the GM Team going forward instead.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 11:10:38 PM »

I'd be open to a resign-to-run law for members of the GM Team going forward instead.

"Resign upon taking an elected office" is already what we have though, functionally? In the sense that if a majority of the team holds elected office after one of them assumes office, one of them has to resign.

"Resign if a bid for elected office is declared" is something different and would produce far too much turnover for the GM team to work properly. WB runs for something every cycle.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2023, 11:30:05 PM »

"Resign upon taking an elected office" is already what we have though, functionally? In the sense that if a majority of the team holds elected office after one of them assumes office, one of them has to resign.

"Resign if a bid for elected office is declared" is something different and would produce far too much turnover for the GM team to work properly. WB runs for something every cycle.

We have to be practical and realistic. While I certainly understand the concern at play here, and in the past would have certainly lined up on the side of avoiding any and all conflicts of interests, we need to be mindful of the present difficulties facing the game and thus by extension the present priorities that would stem from such.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »

Proposed amendment. 24 hours for objectios.

v. A majority of members of the GM team may not hold any other elected or appointed office in either the Federal or Regional Governments. If any member of the GM team holds a Regional Office, such member shall abstain from participating in any GM activities exclusively impacting or affecting the Region in which they serve.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2023, 11:20:56 PM »

I approve of the amendment.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »

Amendment is adopted.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 07:58:12 AM »

I move for a final vote. 24 hours to object.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2023, 08:34:31 AM »

A final vote is now open on this bill lasting until noon eastern on Wednesday (100 hours). Please vote, aye, nay, or abstain.

v. A majority of members of the GM team may not hold any other elected or appointed office in either the Federal or Regional Governments. If any member of the GM team holds a Regional Office, such member shall abstain from participating in any GM activities exclusively impacting or affecting the Region in which they serve.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 08:54:21 AM »

Aye
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 09:06:56 AM »

Aye
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 09:20:21 AM »

with all respect to my other gm team members I still feel a bit uncomfortable having multiple officeholders on the team. Nay.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 09:35:47 AM »

Aye
PragmaticPopulist