A charming piece of the old internet (dolekemp96) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:58:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  A charming piece of the old internet (dolekemp96) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A charming piece of the old internet (dolekemp96)  (Read 4235 times)
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« on: January 09, 2023, 08:29:59 AM »

I was mucking around in a rabbit hole and found this absolute gem, the Bob Dole and Jack Kemp 1996 campaign website!
http://www.dolekemp96.org/main.htm
It is cool to see its still around. I'll try to find more old websites like this one.
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 12:09:00 PM »

Great find.

Quote from: Bob Dole
Bob Dole is concerned about children accessing unsuitable material when using the Internet. But strict censorship of the Internet is not the answer. Bob Dole believes that parents should take responsibility for the material that their children view, and he wants to encourage technology which allows those decisions to be made within each home.

Throughout his Senate career, Bob Dole has fought to protect the Constitutional liberty of Americans:
- Bob Dole is a supporter of the Pro-CODE bill that limits the federal government's control of encryption and user keys. It permits the export of software that includes encryption if the software is easily available in this country.

- Bob Dole strongly supports the observations made in the recent National Research Council report that widespread use of encryption to promote information security outweighs the difficulties encrypted communications place on law enforcement. Economic espionage from foreign countries and companies is a serious threat, and Bob Dole believes Americans should have the right to guard themselves using encryption.

- Bob Dole supported the Senate hearings on Internet copyright laws. The hearings provided suggestions from information creators, Internet and on-line service providers, librarians and Internet users on developing compromises that balance the rights and needs of all participants.

- Bob Dole fought for provisions in the Telecommunications Act of 1996 that encourage parents to take responsibility for the Internet material which their children view.

Genuinely forward-thinking stuff on tech in here.

I have nostalgia for this time of optimism around the internet. He's also very right that mandating backdoors on personal security only guarantees that everyone's info is less safe, not just terrorists/Russian spies/Chinese intel.

If only the GOP party could return to that stance.

I agree though I do wonder how much of this is actually Dole, he was in his 70s at this time so I don't know how much he knew about the internet but it would be really nice if this was 100% him.

The GOP taking these stances would be very nice, I don't know if the Democrats have these stances but I sincerely doubt i.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies