2024 ROC Prez and Legislative elections Jan 13th (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:31:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2024 ROC Prez and Legislative elections Jan 13th (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 ROC Prez and Legislative elections Jan 13th  (Read 29861 times)
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

« on: March 17, 2023, 10:16:17 PM »

In a dovish move, ROC announces the reopening of direct flights with Mainland China which were shut down at the beginning of COVID.  The PRC indicated earlier in 2022 that they were ready for the resumption of direct flights but were turned down by DPP due to their need to set the narrative in the 2022 local elections.  What is interesting is that ROC announced this on the same day Xi was re-elected as PRC Prez for his third term.  This is clearly not a coincidence and along with DPP Prez Tsai telling McCarthy not to visit ROC, it seems that DPP Prez Tsai is focused on her legacy.  It is also likely that in her assessment that rising tensions with PRC might not work to the DPP advantage in 2024 elections unlikely 2020.
From what I understand, although tourism from mainlanders helped Taiwanese economy, average Taiwanese didn't like interacting with mainlander tourists. Is this true?

Maybe a bit when the first large wave of tourists showed up in 2009.  I do not think this is much of a problem these days.  Understand that over 1 million people from ROC work and live (at least part-time) on the Mainland so the level of interactions was quite large, especially since 2009.  I think this is a problem for Mainland tourists in Japan where they are loved for their money but hated for how they behave.  My impression is this has gotten better this past decade but for sure a large number of people in Japan (not associated with the tourist or retail industry of course) would prefer if the Mailand Chinese tourist are not there.

1 million people? do you have the data? I don't think it is such many people work there.
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:14:44 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2023, 10:33:51 PM by Neptunium »

In a dovish move, ROC announces the reopening of direct flights with Mainland China which were shut down at the beginning of COVID.  The PRC indicated earlier in 2022 that they were ready for the resumption of direct flights but were turned down by DPP due to their need to set the narrative in the 2022 local elections.  What is interesting is that ROC announced this on the same day Xi was re-elected as PRC Prez for his third term.  This is clearly not a coincidence and along with DPP Prez Tsai telling McCarthy not to visit ROC, it seems that DPP Prez Tsai is focused on her legacy.  It is also likely that in her assessment that rising tensions with PRC might not work to the DPP advantage in 2024 elections unlikely 2020.
From what I understand, although tourism from mainlanders helped Taiwanese economy, average Taiwanese didn't like interacting with mainlander tourists. Is this true?

Maybe a bit when the first large wave of tourists showed up in 2009.  I do not think this is much of a problem these days.  Understand that over 1 million people from ROC work and live (at least part-time) on the Mainland so the level of interactions was quite large, especially since 2009.  I think this is a problem for Mainland tourists in Japan where they are loved for their money but hated for how they behave.  My impression is this has gotten better this past decade but for sure a large number of people in Japan (not associated with the tourist or retail industry of course) would prefer if the Mailand Chinese tourist are not there.

1 million people? do you have the data? I don't think it is such many people work there.

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2014/11/16/2003604555

"It is estimated that there are more than 1 million Taiwanese living in China. About 210,000 people returned to vote in the 2012 presidential election."

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20210511002936-260409?chdtv

According to census done by China on 2020, there are only about 158k Taiwanese living in China.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies