Republican Senators Propose Overhaul of the Federal Reserve
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:37:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Republican Senators Propose Overhaul of the Federal Reserve
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican Senators Propose Overhaul of the Federal Reserve  (Read 1654 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2022, 12:32:31 PM »

Or to be more specific, its twelve regional banks, which they would like to shrink to five, and to treat the heads of those regional banks like any other presidential nominee in an effort to depoliticize the institution:

Republican senators propose overhaul of Federal Reserve amid concerns about politics

Seven Republican U.S. senators on Wednesday announced a new bill aimed at reshaping the Federal Reserve's 12 regional banks, amid concerns that those institutions have become too political.

In a news release from outgoing Senator Pat Toomey, the legislators said they are calling for regional Fed bank presidents to be presidentially nominated and confirmed by the Senate, matching the requirements to become a member of the central bank's Board of Governors.

Among its provisions, the bill would also shrink the 12 regional Fed banks to five. "This will enable more effective congressional oversight and ensure that all presidents of Fed regional banks have permanent seats on the Federal Open Market Committee," the news release said.

Regional Fed leaders contribute to monetary policy debates, gather local economic intelligence and vote on interest rate decisions on a rotating basis.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 03:39:53 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2022, 12:34:35 PM by Del Tachi »

Without looking these should be the five cities:  Buffalo, Montgomery, Toledo, Cheyenne and Medford.  
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 09:52:41 PM »

Seems reasonable, it's long overdue for an overhaul of some kind.

What are the con's?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 11:58:40 PM »

Sounds good, I actually sent a letter to Toomey after my concerns about the racial disparity study done by the SF fed.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 08:23:52 PM »

Sounds good, I actually sent a letter to Toomey after my concerns about the racial disparity study done by the SF fed.

OK, racist enabler.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 01:13:21 PM »

To make them less political... increase Congressional oversight and make them all Presidentially appointed? Sounds like they want to make the Fed more political.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 01:20:06 PM »

Seems reasonable, it's long overdue for an overhaul of some kind.

What are the con's?

Requiring Senate confirmation makes it more political, not less. Surely the last few years have made this clear.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »

To make them less political... increase Congressional oversight and make them all Presidentially appointed? Sounds like they want to make the Fed more political.

The Fed is already political by funding garbage diversity studies with no basis on econometrics. Toomey in general has been quite good on the issue of the federal reserve and he opposed a few of Trump's picks for being too political. I would at least consider this bill.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 10:33:30 AM »

The Fed is already political by funding garbage diversity studies with no basis on econometrics. Toomey in general has been quite good on the issue of the federal reserve and he opposed a few of Trump's picks for being too political. I would at least consider this bill.

Ignoring diversity issues is just as political as focusing on them.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 11:09:07 AM »

Ignoring diversity issues is just as political as focusing on them.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=427709.0

Again this specific study was so bad because it doesn't use any logic at all. It assumes the economy is of infinite wealth. We might as well say GDP would triple of everyone earned as much as an Indian American.

Overall this study was a breaking point for me on the issue of DEI. I saw how badly it has affected and corrupted our institutions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies