Presidential vote by Ancestry

(1/3) > >>

mileslunn:
Seems amongst white voters, areas with large numbers of people with Finnish, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Slovenian, Welsh, French, Portuguese, and Italian all saw Trump do much better than Romney or McCain.  By contrast it seems in areas with large numbers of English ancestry is where you saw strongest swings away from GOP with many of the areas Trump doing more than 10% worse than Romney having high numbers with English ancestry.  For former I assume higher number blue collar workers while is latter more college educated and well off or just coincidence?  Asides Portuguese, pretty sure Trump won all others while Obama probably won many in first category.  Dutch also saw big swing towards Biden but still Trump won big, just not as big as GOP usually does.  I believe Dutch Reformed are like Mormons; very conservative but felt Trump was immoral whereas it seems with Evangelicals many willing to overlook this in hopes of getting pro-life justices.

Pres Mike:
Trump probably won every european ancestry group. Scotch-Irish was no doubt his best, probably won this group by 80%

I would guess Biden's best white group would have been Norwegian or Swedish in upper midwest.

pbrower2a:
No, east-European Jewish.

Asenath Waite:
Quote from: mileslunn on January 04, 2023, 02:56:46 PM

Seems amongst white voters, areas with large numbers of people with Finnish, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Slovenian, Welsh, French, Portuguese, and Italian all saw Trump do much better than Romney or McCain.  By contrast it seems in areas with large numbers of English ancestry is where you saw strongest swings away from GOP with many of the areas Trump doing more than 10% worse than Romney having high numbers with English ancestry.  For former I assume higher number blue collar workers while is latter more college educated and well off or just coincidence?  Asides Portuguese, pretty sure Trump won all others while Obama probably won many in first category.  Dutch also saw big swing towards Biden but still Trump won big, just not as big as GOP usually does.  I believe Dutch Reformed are like Mormons; very conservative but felt Trump was immoral whereas it seems with Evangelicals many willing to overlook this in hopes of getting pro-life justices.

In regions like New England though a lot of the whites of English descent are working class themselves. They're just more secular then the working class in other parts of the country and more likely to be union members. Ironically sort of an outlier group among the White Working Class as they've trended towards the Democrats over the past generation.

King of Kensington:
Quote from: Pres Mike on January 19, 2023, 10:20:11 PM

I would guess Biden's best white group would have been Norwegian or Swedish in upper midwest.

Trump got 65% of the vote in North Dakota, the most Norwegian American state.

I doubt "German vs Scandinavian" in the Upper Midwest is really detectable anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page