2016: President Ted Cruz (R-TX) vs Former President Barack Obama (D-IL)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:15:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: President Ted Cruz (R-TX) vs Former President Barack Obama (D-IL)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016: President Ted Cruz (R-TX) vs Former President Barack Obama (D-IL)  (Read 1472 times)
Medal506
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2023, 12:24:46 AM »

In 2006, Kay Bailey Hutchinson retired and Ted Cruz is elected to the senate. Everything else proceeds to happen the way it did except in 2012, Ted Cruz runs for president and ends up taking all the support Santorum would have gotten so Santorum and Perry both step out of the race before the primaries even start. Both Santorum and Perry endorse Cruz over Romney and Gingrich and Cruz wins Iowa and South Carolina while Romney wins Florida and New Hampshire. It’s a close race between Romney, Cruz and Paul but Gingrich withdraws early on after he loses in South Carolina and endorses Cruz. Cruz eventually wins the nomination and chooses Michelle Bachman as his VP.

Because Ted Cruz never made the infamous 47 percent comment and wasn’t as focused on social issues as Santorum was, he ends up defeating Obama in 2012 in both the PV and the EV. Obama concedes to Cruz but remains in the spot light in democratic circles and runs again in 2016.

In 2016, Obama runs for a third time and Clinton once again challenges him. Sanders also runs but doesn’t come close to Obama and both Clinton and sanders are defeated in the primary. Obama picks Terry McAuliffe to be his VP in 2016 since Joe Biden said he wouldn’t want the position again for family reasons (his son’s death in May 2015).

From 2013-2016 things pan out a little differently. In 2013 the Republicans won both the house and the senate giving them a trifecta government so gun legislation never took off. In 2014, ObamaCare was repealed through a skinny repeal and then it was replaced with a more privatized friendly healthcare plan that allowed for more competition in the market. In 2015, same sex marriage bans were struck down by Obergefell v Hodges and President Cruz did everything to oppose it but ultimately failed.

Who wins and what does the map look like?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 07:31:41 PM »

President Ted Cruz (R-TX) / Vice President Michele Bachmann (R-TN)
Fmr. President Barack Obama (D-IL) / Governor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA) ✓

It would take a little more than that for Cruz to win in 2012 IMO, probably a double dip recession caused by a few different decisions in the European debt crisis or maybe a big terrorist attack.

My guess is that Cruz, like any Republican president elected then or Obama IOTL for that matter, wouldn't have a great time. Democrats could bring back the Bush era playbook over the Snowden leaks, probable intervention in the Middle East (less likely to put boots on the ground in Syria or start a war with Iran than Romney IMO, but there would definitely be elements in his administration pushing for it), and attacks on Obergefell v. Hodges. There would also be backlash to ACA repeal. Obama wouldn't come out of the primary fight with Clinton and Sanders undamaged (McAuliffe- a Clinton ally- as VP seems to suggest some concessions had to be made), but he could win a close one.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 07:21:27 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2023, 07:30:19 PM by Lincoln General Court Member NewYorkExpress »

President Ted Cruz (R-TX) / Vice President Michele Bachmann (R-TN)
Fmr. President Barack Obama (D-IL) / Governor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA) ✓

It would take a little more than that for Cruz to win in 2012 IMO, probably a double dip recession caused by a few different decisions in the European debt crisis or maybe a big terrorist attack.

My guess is that Cruz, like any Republican president elected then or Obama IOTL for that matter, wouldn't have a great time. Democrats could bring back the Bush era playbook over the Snowden leaks, probable intervention in the Middle East (less likely to put boots on the ground in Syria or start a war with Iran than Romney IMO, but there would definitely be elements in his administration pushing for it), and attacks on Obergefell v. Hodges. There would also be backlash to ACA repeal. Obama wouldn't come out of the primary fight with Clinton and Sanders undamaged (McAuliffe- a Clinton ally- as VP seems to suggest some concessions had to be made), but he could win a close one.

In this scenario, I don't think Clinton and Obama run against each other. Obama's young enough, that if he really wanted to run again, he'd likely defer to Clinton here, and run in 2020 if she loses, or 2024 if she wins as either race would be an open-seat race.

Anyways, I think Obama sweeps the Midwest against Cruz, who isn't able to tap into white grievance politics as effectively as Trump did IRL (I imagine the reason Cruz won in this 2012 is a populist Occupy Wall street campaign that drew large amounts of votes from Obama, frankly).

I don't think Clinton would support McAuliffe as VP pick. I think she'd want a woman on the ticket, hence why I'm suggesting Kirsten Gillibrand.

Former President Barack Obama (D-IL)/Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) 52%
President Ted Cruz (R-TX)/Vice President Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) 46.5%
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 08:57:30 PM »

Obama does a Cleveland
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies