Whoopi says having abortions is a painful and tough thing that Republicans don't get
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:08:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Whoopi says having abortions is a painful and tough thing that Republicans don't get
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Whoopi says having abortions is a painful and tough thing that Republicans don't get  (Read 2095 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2022, 01:01:57 PM »

Whoopi says that it's so hard, so, so hard.

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2022, 01:11:42 PM »

She's right.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 01:14:45 PM »

I 100% agree. I always say that if you are going to start the conversation by saying women are "killing babies" then there is no conversation and can never be until people start treating women with the dignity and respect they deserve as human beings faced with a difficult decision to make.

I'm going to post this in the SCOTUS Overturns Roe Megathread to keep all the info in one place.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 04:43:54 PM »

Yes, and?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 05:47:45 PM »

In a majority of cases, she is right. Doesn't change the fact that the fetus is a living human being that the state has a vested interest in protecting.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »

This isn't the own you think it is.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2022, 06:45:34 PM »

You're anti-abortion?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 06:48:53 PM »

No, Bronz is.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 06:51:43 PM »

But why do you believe this was an attempted own in the first place? Though his comment in the OP seems a bit sarcastic, it's very possible he's just putting out a piece of news. He hasn't explicitly shown any disagreement with Goldberg or commented negatively about what she said, has he?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2022, 06:54:14 PM »

People who carry out Capital Punishment endure much of the same angst.  It's hard to do.  Many correctional officers aren't up to that assignment, and others are affected to where they need counseling.

I point this out suggest that just because a decision is difficult and angst-ridden doesn't make all options morally correct.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 07:39:05 PM »

I'm pro-choice, but my read on it was that bronz posted this as a way to mock the idea that it's tough for women getting abortions.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2022, 07:48:04 PM »

But why do you believe this was an attempted own in the first place? Though his comment in the OP seems a bit sarcastic, it's very possible he's just putting out a piece of news. He hasn't explicitly shown any disagreement with Goldberg or commented negatively about what she said, has he?

I think you're overcomplicating it. Bronz's comment in the OP seems sarcastic because he is being sarcastic. He's anti-choice, and thinks that Goldberg's comments are worth derision.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 08:47:11 PM »

Your attempt to post this as some kind of "gotcha" has proven her right.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 09:03:34 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2022, 01:39:00 AM by Joe Republic »

So many social conservatives seem to think that the typical woman going in for an abortion will stroll in with her caramel macchiato, eight months pregnant, redo her nails and send a couple memes to her besties group chat while in the waiting room, and then flash her loyalty card when it's time to check out.  What Whoopi is saying here is just plain fact, and I don't know why anyone seems to think otherwise.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 11:05:01 PM »

Where did I say I was? I am not. I am pro-choice.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 11:10:22 PM »

1. I'm not a Republican.
2. I am pro-choice.
3. I'm posting this because it's still relevant. It's not a gotcha. I am pro-choice.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 11:25:06 PM »

1. I'm not a Republican.
2. I am pro-choice.
3. I'm posting this because it's still relevant. It's not a gotcha. I am pro-choice.

Good to hear! But this:

Came off to me as extremely sarcastic, just FYI. Judging from others' reactions, it did to them as well.

LBJer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 01:00:10 AM »

In a majority of cases, she is right. Doesn't change the fact that the fetus is a living human being that the state has a vested interest in protecting.

Even if that is true (and I don't agree that it is), "vested interests" of the state don't necessarily override individual rights and freedoms.  The state has a "vested interest" in reducing serious crime. That doesn't give it the right to tell defendants that they can't have lawyers since defense attorneys stand in the way of the state's efforts to reduce crime by making it harder for prosecutors to convict.  
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2022, 01:14:39 AM »

Joe Republic is right about how social conservatives stereotype women who get abortions.  Also, social conservatives seem to think that these women just enjoy casual sex and think “if I get pregnant, I’ll just get an abortion!  No big deal.  It will be so fun!”

The reality is women often need abortions to prevent dangerous, sometimes life-threatening, health situations.  They still tend to feel bad.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2022, 08:36:50 AM »

So? Whatever your opinion on abortion, nobody will deny it is a hard and painful decision to make.
LBJer
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »

The very expression "pregnancy scare" implies that if the woman turns out to be pregnant, there are no good options.  If she was thinking "Oh, if I really am pregnant, I'll just get an abortion, no problem," there wouldn't be any reason to be "scared" to being with.  She may well HAVE decided that she'll get an abortion if that happens, but that's because she sees abortion as the least bad option, not something that would be good or enjoyable. 
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2022, 03:06:27 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2022, 03:10:01 PM by TPIG »

Any abortion is always a tragedy. Among those who actually get abortions, virtually no one quickly and callously decides to end the life of a child in the womb. Pro-lifers mustn't ignore the weight of these situations and not merely condemn abortion but vocally support alternatives to it along with policies that would help prevent women from being in these situations in the first place.

At the same time, there is a contingent on the left whose rhetoric on this issue isn't merely of "tragic circumstances" and "the toughest decision of someone's life" but more "a fetus is nothing more than a parasite" and "abortion is an powerful expression of freedom". You can see why it can be easy to type-cast the pro-choice crowd as the pro-abortion crowd.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2022, 03:10:02 PM »

Hot take: if the fetus is already dead or is guaranteed to be dead before birth, and the life of the mother is at risk, it isn't a tragedy.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2022, 03:37:33 PM »

Hot take: if the fetus is already dead or is guaranteed to be dead before birth, and the life of the mother is at risk, it isn't a tragedy.

Is that first situation even to be considered abortion? Considering that abortion is the pre-mature termination of a pregnancy, and pregnancy is "the condition between conception (fertilization of an egg by a sperm) and birth, during which the fertilized egg develops in the uterus." - https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/pregnancy

Nothing's developing if the baby is already dead...

But yeah ok, considering the other cases, I guess we'll say "Any abortion which takes the life of a baby that would otherwise live is always a tragedy" - AKA what virtually everyone is referring to when talking about abortion.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies