Gerrymandering the States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:18:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Gerrymandering the States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gerrymandering the States  (Read 18904 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: July 06, 2004, 03:50:25 PM »

If you could redraw the map of the United States today and change all the states bounderies, would you?  How would you do it.  I'll provide some answers when I get back from class.

ex. attaching Michigan's upper penisula to Wisconsin.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 03:52:31 PM »

You can create totally new states and there don't even have to be 50 of them, but no more than 70 and no less than 30.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 03:54:26 PM »

I can't wait to see some of the maps.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 02:49:19 AM »

Well, this doesn't really have to be for partisan gain.  The angle I am looking more at is "what areas of the country really belong together and should be combined and which areas don't have anything in common and thus should be seperated.

1) First this I would do is take Western PA (west of the Susquahana) and combine it with Northern West Virginia and then ad on Eastern Ohio.  

2) What remains of West Virgina woudl then be split between Virginia and Kentucky.  

3) Take Northern Ohio (along the coast to about 30 miles in) including Cleveland and combine it with South East Michigan Including Detriot.  

4) Then take what remains of Ohio (the Cinncinatti and Columbus areas) and combine them with Southern Indiana.

5) Create a semi circle that startes in along the northern boarder of Illinois (about 60 miles inland from Lake Michigan) and go in a semi-circle (south) until you hit the northern boarder of Indiana.  The circle should include Chicago and all it's suburbs (but not Rockford) and South Bend.  Make this a state.

6) I would split California into three seperate states roughly in thirds.  The Northern section would be combined with Oregon.  

7)The coastal areas (except San Diego) would be combined into one state (this line would follow roughly US-101 and extend inland about 100 miles and would include Los Angeles and San Francisco).  

Cool The third state would consist of the Central Valley, the Desert and San Diego and would include Sacramento and Bakersfield.

9) Idaho would be dismantled.  The northern section would be granted to Washington and the Southern part to Utah.

10) What remained of Michigan (except the Northern Penisula) would be combined with what remained of Northern Indiana.

11) The UP of Michgan would go to Wisconsin.

I'm not finished, yet, but this is just to give an idea.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 02:59:10 AM »

Let's say that, for the purpose of the excercise, the goal is to create states that make more geographic and cultural sense than the ones we have now.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »

Okay, off the top off my head:
1 Reunite East and West Massachusetts! (49 states)
2 Unite New Hampshire and Vermont (48)
3 Long Island Statehood Now! (49)
4 THe remainder of New York City, as well as Westchester and Rockland Counties, is fused with North Jersey as New York State (50)
5 Upstate New York renamed, say, Iroquoia (still 50)
6 Not sure what I'll do with South Jersey yet...
7 When Michigan State was created, it did not include the UP, which was only added when Wisconsin Territory was organized (I think. The exact timeline may be wrong, but it was something like that.) Upper Michigan might easily have become a state of its own, in which case it would probably have more inhabitants, better infrastructure etc now. I'll hereby make it one, to be named Chippewa. (51)
8 Nebraska expanded to the boundaries of Douglas's NE Territory (49)
9 Ah yes, of course: South Jersey merged with Delaware and the Eastern Shore (48)
10 DC merged with Maryland (still 48)
11 Virginia reunited (46 - this includes Kentucky)
12 Carolinas united (44 - this includes Tennessee)
13 East and West Florida split (45). West Florida returned to former size (Coastal strips of Alabama and Mississippi and "Florida Parishes" of Louisiana added)
14 Eastern Oklahoma remains Indian Territory (still 45)
15 Texas split in five, based on Dallas, Houston, Austin/San Antonio, the Rio Grande Valley and the Panhandle (49)
16 Wyoming fused with Montana (48)
17 Idaho is a fantasy word and will be renamed. (still 48)
18 Taylor's greater New Mexico of NM, AZ, CO and UT. (45)
19 Like Idaho, Washington will be renamed. (still 45)
20 California split in two. (46)
21 Alaska never purchased. (45)
22 Hawaii never annexed. (44)

Obviously, the point was not a partisan one...It's more an alternative version of what might have happened that is at points purposefully unrealistic but is not supposed to beimpossible.

Good job, you kinda went to the past though.  I was sorta talking about modern times.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 08:10:15 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2004, 08:11:16 PM by Vice President Supersoulty »

For the PA posters: I get the SE corner and west of the Susquehanna as separate entitites. Geographically, Reading and Allentown fit with Philly, Wilmington and South Jersey. What about Scranton? Is it more like central PA or central NY ( Altoona or Elmira ?)

Hard to say, I've never really been there myself for any long period of time.  Just an educated quess, I would have to say that it is probably more like Altoona, old manufacturing town, but probably are very culturally similar to Elmira.  Their accent and dialect is definatly more New Yorkish than Pittsburghese.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »

Well, there suggestion for the state of "Allegheny" looks almost exactly like my suggestion for a similar state.  I don't know about some of these though, and the names kinda suck.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies