What states are more socially conservative than its voting suggests? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  What states are more socially conservative than its voting suggests? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states are more socially conservative than its voting suggests?  (Read 1793 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« on: March 22, 2023, 01:23:48 PM »

Possibly none of them, but the closest thing I think are Hawaii, California, Maryland (& Delaware) and parts of the Deep South.

I've had three friends move out to California from the Midwest, and all three (including two in the Bay Area) said they were shocked how many "conservative" (which should more accurately be rephrased as "kinda seem like they're Republican-ish, given the context of these conversations) they have met.  California is perhaps the poster child for a "Blue State" for many people, but it is massive and diverse.  I think people on political forums often get too caught up in "Leans" and whatnot, but even most Safe D/Safe R states have literally millions of the other party, haha.

One of the distinctive things about California is that places here that look Republican often vote Democratic. I think something similar could apply to people: Californians who give off conservative vibes often vote Democratic in spite of that. You see this in an electorate that in recent years has rejected affirmative action and death penalty abolition despite being one of the safest Democratic states in the nation.

Obviously California also just has more Republicans than any other state in the country (although Texas and Florida were close in 2020).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies