What states are more socially conservative than its voting suggests? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:54:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  What states are more socially conservative than its voting suggests? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states are more socially conservative than its voting suggests?  (Read 1797 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: March 22, 2023, 12:55:47 PM »

Possibly none of them, but the closest thing I think are Hawaii, California, Maryland (& Delaware) and parts of the Deep South.

I've had three friends move out to California from the Midwest, and all three (including two in the Bay Area) said they were shocked how many "conservative" (which should more accurately be rephrased as "kinda seem like they're Republican-ish, given the context of these conversations) they have met.  California is perhaps the poster child for a "Blue State" for many people, but it is massive and diverse.  I think people on political forums often get too caught up in "Leans" and whatnot, but even most Safe D/Safe R states have literally millions of the other party, haha.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 12:59:39 PM »

Hawaii is a lot more socially conservative than people realize.

Hawai'i is peak "socially right, culturally left" as far as US states are concerned.

Yeah, I think this is an important distinction.  While "cultural" and "social" conservatism have blended a lot more now than in the past due to our polarized climate, I would argue that they're still separate distinctions ... at least to me.  New York City is obviously extremely socially liberal overall, but I actually felt like a lot of the people gave off a decently "culturally conservative" vibe, and I have heard people say the same thing after visiting Boston and Philadelphia.  And that makes sense, they're all old, historic, storied cities, and you're going to pick up at least SOMEWHAT of a "traditional outlook" on some things.  I don't even know how I would distinguish the two terms specifically, but they are definitely different.  For example, I feel a lot of Black people in Chicago are fairly culturally conservative (religious, view their neighborhoods/communities in a more traditional manner, etc.) but actually aren't really that "socially conservative" as it pertains to adhering to the GOP platform's stance on "social issues" ... which is pretty much what this term means today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies