Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:42:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 37
Author Topic: Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed  (Read 37082 times)
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: May 20, 2023, 07:15:31 AM »

He should not resign.  He should stay in office and continue to vote the Republican agenda.  He owes that much to the voters that elected him, and the people that actively supported his campaign. 

Is the indictment legitimate?  Everyone believes the worst of pols when they're indicted, but Harold Ford, Sr. (D-TN) was under indictment for years.  There is no reason for Santos to resign, and the moral outrage over him is generated entirely by Democrats looking to take the House back by attrition, while stopping the investigations into Biden.  Santos's vote in Congress is what matters.  His vote has the same impact as the vote of a paragon of virtue and is more constructive, from my point of view, than the vote of a personally virtuous Democrat who will support policies I generally oppose.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2023, 07:34:15 AM »

He should not resign.  He should stay in office and continue to vote the Republican agenda.  He owes that much to the voters that elected him, and the people that actively supported his campaign. 

Is the indictment legitimate?  Everyone believes the worst of pols when they're indicted, but Harold Ford, Sr. (D-TN) was under indictment for years.  There is no reason for Santos to resign, and the moral outrage over him is generated entirely by Democrats looking to take the House back by attrition, while stopping the investigations into Biden.  Santos's vote in Congress is what matters.  His vote has the same impact as the vote of a paragon of virtue and is more constructive, from my point of view, than the vote of a personally virtuous Democrat who will support policies I generally oppose.

Well, no, the moral outrage is due to the fact that Santos is a blatant fraud, serial liar, and apparent criminal, who should never have been allowed within a mile of Congress.

But there is precedent for members under indictment to remain in office until the charges are resolved, so I agree that it's reasonable to wait for the judicial process play out.  Will you agree that if/when Santos is convicted, THEN he must resign or be expelled?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2023, 02:17:01 PM »

Santos has a new campaign treasurer-himself.

Rep. George Santos has named himself the treasurer of his campaign committee, marking the latest twist in a monthslong saga over puzzling filings his campaign has made with federal regulators.

The new filing, made late Friday afternoon with the Federal Election Commission, comes a little more than a week after federal prosecutors unveiled a 13-count criminal indictment, charging the New York Republican with wire fraud, fraudulently obtaining Covid-19 unemployment benefits and lying about his personal finances on forms he submitted to the US House of Representatives as a candidate. He has denied wrongdoing and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Santos defended the move Saturday, saying it was to “ensure compliance.”

“My intent is to operate above reproach,” the freshman lawmakers said on Twitter. “We will continue to build our campaign around professionals with subject matter expertise.”

He added that FEC records will be updated to reflect the change.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2023, 02:40:34 PM »

Santos has a new campaign treasurer-himself.

Rep. George Santos has named himself the treasurer of his campaign committee, marking the latest twist in a monthslong saga over puzzling filings his campaign has made with federal regulators.

The new filing, made late Friday afternoon with the Federal Election Commission, comes a little more than a week after federal prosecutors unveiled a 13-count criminal indictment, charging the New York Republican with wire fraud, fraudulently obtaining Covid-19 unemployment benefits and lying about his personal finances on forms he submitted to the US House of Representatives as a candidate. He has denied wrongdoing and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Santos defended the move Saturday, saying it was to “ensure compliance.”

“My intent is to operate above reproach,” the freshman lawmakers said on Twitter. “We will continue to build our campaign around professionals with subject matter expertise.”

He added that FEC records will be updated to reflect the change.

Is that legal? It doesn’t feel legal
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »

He should not resign.  He should stay in office and continue to vote the Republican agenda.  He owes that much to the voters that elected him, and the people that actively supported his campaign.  

Is the indictment legitimate?  Everyone believes the worst of pols when they're indicted, but Harold Ford, Sr. (D-TN) was under indictment for years.  There is no reason for Santos to resign, and the moral outrage over him is generated entirely by Democrats looking to take the House back by attrition, while stopping the investigations into Biden.  Santos's vote in Congress is what matters.  His vote has the same impact as the vote of a paragon of virtue and is more constructive, from my point of view, than the vote of a personally virtuous Democrat who will support policies I generally oppose.

So you’re saying Republicans should treat voting the party line as their thirty pieces of silver?    
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2023, 05:59:49 PM »

He should not resign.  He should stay in office and continue to vote the Republican agenda.  He owes that much to the voters that elected him, and the people that actively supported his campaign.  

Is the indictment legitimate?  Everyone believes the worst of pols when they're indicted, but Harold Ford, Sr. (D-TN) was under indictment for years.  There is no reason for Santos to resign, and the moral outrage over him is generated entirely by Democrats looking to take the House back by attrition, while stopping the investigations into Biden.  Santos's vote in Congress is what matters.  His vote has the same impact as the vote of a paragon of virtue and is more constructive, from my point of view, than the vote of a personally virtuous Democrat who will support policies I generally oppose.

So you’re saying Republicans should treat voting the party line as their thirty pieces of silver?    

I'm saying that Santos is a duly elected member of Congress.  He will vote for policies I generally support.  His Democratic replacement will not.  If the House wishes to expel a member they can try, but I would not support it unless he were convicted of a felony.

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #606 on: May 21, 2023, 06:09:19 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #607 on: June 05, 2023, 06:19:46 PM »

Any guesses on who it was?

From later in the tweet thread, the House Ethics Committee has also asked Santos who posted his bond, and he won't tell them.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #608 on: June 06, 2023, 11:47:36 AM »

Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #609 on: September 05, 2023, 09:45:50 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #610 on: September 05, 2023, 09:51:07 AM »

So he's finally on his way out?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #611 on: September 05, 2023, 10:34:23 AM »

It's all finally coming together.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #612 on: September 05, 2023, 10:48:15 AM »

Shouln’t Santos just try to run out the clock to the end of 2024 so he can complete his term.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #613 on: September 05, 2023, 11:48:33 AM »

Shouln’t Santos just try to run out the clock to the end of 2024 so he can complete his term.

I mean, I imagine he’s far more concerned with staying out of prison or at least doing as little time as possible than he is with NY-3 staying in Republican hands
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #614 on: September 05, 2023, 12:02:58 PM »

I mean, I imagine he’s far more concerned with staying out of prison or at least doing as little time as possible than he is with NY-3 staying in Republican hands

I’ll believe Santos is gone when I see it. He’s too shameless to resign voluntarily and criminal cases like this take time to reach a conclusion.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #615 on: September 05, 2023, 12:41:23 PM »

I’ll believe Santos is gone when I see it. He’s too shameless to resign voluntarily and criminal cases like this take time to reach a conclusion.

It has nothing to do with shame.  Part of any plea deal is going to be that he immediately resigns; that’s just how this stuff works.  That’s really the only leverage he has here.  You’re looking at this as though his priority is helping Republicans keep NY-3 and that is fundamentally wrong.  At this point, his first, second, and third priority is to avoid going to prison or failing that, to go to prison for as little time as possible.  No one in his current situation is going to care whether NY-3 flips or not.  
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #616 on: September 05, 2023, 12:52:45 PM »

It has nothing to do with shame.  Part of any plea deal is going to be that he immediately resigns; that’s just how this stuff works.  That’s really the only leverage he has here.  You’re looking at this as though his priority is helping Republicans keep NY-3 and that is fundamentally wrong.  At this point, his first, second, and third priority is to avoid going to prison or failing that, to go to prison for as little time as possible.  No one in his current situation is going to care whether NY-3 flips or not.  

I think he tries his hardest to stall the proceedings so he doesn’t have to resign any time soon. I mean the Chris Collins case took over a year before he resigned.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #617 on: September 05, 2023, 01:20:29 PM »

I think he tries his hardest to stall the proceedings so he doesn’t have to resign any time soon. I mean the Chris Collins case took over a year before he resigned.

I don't think you're quite grasping the tradeoff for Santos.  There's a real cost to him for delaying.  If he takes the hypothetical plea deal, he gets a lighter punishment -- possibly no jail time at all -- but in return, he must resign in the very near future.  If he tries to stall and keeps pushing things out, then the government will likely withdraw the plea deal, and then he's facing trial, conviction, and a longer sentence.  Santos obviously knows what he's actually guilty of, and has a good idea how likely it is that he'll be convicted. 

The tradeoff is staying another year-plus in Congress (no more than that, as he will surely lose reelection) at the cost of a possibly long prison sentence vs a short one or none at all.  Which would you choose?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2023, 01:37:06 PM »

I don't think you're quite grasping the tradeoff for Santos.  There's a real cost to him for delaying.  If he takes the hypothetical plea deal, he gets a lighter punishment -- possibly no jail time at all -- but in return, he must resign in the very near future.  If he tries to stall and keeps pushing things out, then the government will likely withdraw the plea deal, and then he's facing trial, conviction, and a longer sentence.  Santos obviously knows what he's actually guilty of, and has a good idea how likely it is that he'll be convicted. 

The tradeoff is staying another year-plus in Congress (no more than that, as he will surely lose reelection) at the cost of a possibly long prison sentence vs a short one or none at all.  Which would you choose?

I think it’s in the party’s best interest to keep him around so that the seat doesn’t flip back to the Democrats in the special.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »

I think it’s in the party’s best interest to keep him around so that the seat doesn’t flip back to the Democrats in the special.

I really doubt that Santos will put the party's interests ahead of his own.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2023, 02:50:11 PM »

I really doubt that Santos will put the party's interests ahead of his own.

That is true. They’ll be rid of him after 2024 so at most they have another year and a half left to deal with him. Republicans’ main interest is to prevent a special election so that Democrats don’t get an incumbency advantage going into 2024 rather than just being a competitive open seat.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #621 on: September 05, 2023, 03:29:01 PM »

It’s not up to the Republican Party.  It’s up to Santos and right now I guarantee you he doesn’t give a flip about anything but what’s in his best interest.  It is in his best interest to resign soon and plead out rather than drag this out.  The Republican Party’s interests or what gives it the best chance of holding NY-3 are both completely irrelevant.  With all due respect, to suggest otherwise is simply wishcasting.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #622 on: September 05, 2023, 03:36:54 PM »

It’s not up to the Republican Party.  It’s up to Santos and right now I guarantee you he doesn’t give a flip about anything but what’s in his best interest.  It is in his best interest to resign soon and plead out rather than drag this out.  The Republican Party’s interests or what gives it the best chance of holding NY-3 are both completely irrelevant.  With all due respect, to suggest otherwise is simply wishcasting.

How would you rate the chances a Democrat wins back the seat before November 2024?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #623 on: September 05, 2023, 03:38:33 PM »

I don't think you're quite grasping the tradeoff for Santos.  There's a real cost to him for delaying.  If he takes the hypothetical plea deal, he gets a lighter punishment -- possibly no jail time at all -- but in return, he must resign in the very near future.  If he tries to stall and keeps pushing things out, then the government will likely withdraw the plea deal, and then he's facing trial, conviction, and a longer sentence.  Santos obviously knows what he's actually guilty of, and has a good idea how likely it is that he'll be convicted.  

The tradeoff is staying another year-plus in Congress (no more than that, as he will surely lose reelection) at the cost of a possibly long prison sentence vs a short one or none at all.  Which would you choose?

It’s not up to the Republican Party.  It’s up to Santos and right now I guarantee you he doesn’t give a flip about anything but what’s in his best interest.  It is in his best interest to resign soon and plead out rather than drag this out.  The Republican Party’s interests or what gives it the best chance of holding NY-3 are both completely irrelevant.  With all due respect, to suggest otherwise is simply wishcasting.

How would you rate the chances a Democrat wins back the seat before November 2024?

Almost certain in a special, barring a disaster nominee for the Democrats and a perfect Republican nominee. It's less likely the Democrats will pick the seat up (or hold it, assuming they win the special) in the 2024 general with Santos gone. His resignation helps them in that regard.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #624 on: September 05, 2023, 03:42:37 PM »

I don't think you're quite grasping the tradeoff for Santos.  There's a real cost to him for delaying.  If he takes the hypothetical plea deal, he gets a lighter punishment -- possibly no jail time at all -- but in return, he must resign in the very near future.  If he tries to stall and keeps pushing things out, then the government will likely withdraw the plea deal, and then he's facing trial, conviction, and a longer sentence.  Santos obviously knows what he's actually guilty of, and has a good idea how likely it is that he'll be convicted.  

The tradeoff is staying another year-plus in Congress (no more than that, as he will surely lose reelection) at the cost of a possibly long prison sentence vs a short one or none at all.  Which would you choose?

It’s not up to the Republican Party.  It’s up to Santos and right now I guarantee you he doesn’t give a flip about anything but what’s in his best interest.  It is in his best interest to resign soon and plead out rather than drag this out.  The Republican Party’s interests or what gives it the best chance of holding NY-3 are both completely irrelevant.  With all due respect, to suggest otherwise is simply wishcasting.

Almost certain in a special, barring a disaster nominee for the Democrats and a perfect Republican nominee. It's less likely the Democrats will pick the seat up (or hold it, assuming they win the special) in the 2024 general with Santos gone. His resignation helps them in that regard.

Helps who?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies