Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:13:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 37
Author Topic: Scandal in the Wind 2023. George Santos gets Sashayed  (Read 37094 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 10, 2023, 05:41:34 PM »

I'm not seeing any way the GOP holds this seat anyway with or without Santos unless a new map is passed and it's converted into an R vote sink.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #576 on: May 10, 2023, 08:22:58 PM »

Well if a special is forced in one way or another,  look for Souzzi to attempt a triumphant return.

Gross. No Republicans pls.

Ah yes, the reliably Conservative Thomas Souzzi. Are we thinking of two completely different people with that name?

The VP of No Labels' group in Congress? The guy who just ran a conservative NY-Gov campaign?

At least have some semblance of what you're talking about before you condescend to people.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #577 on: May 10, 2023, 08:29:06 PM »

Well if a special is forced in one way or another,  look for Souzzi to attempt a triumphant return.

Gross. No Republicans pls.

Ah yes, the reliably Conservative Thomas Souzzi. Are we thinking of two completely different people with that name?

The VP of No Labels' group in Congress? The guy who just ran a conservative NY-Gov campaign?

At least have some semblance of what you're talking about before you condescend to people.

Souzzi would be the most conservative Democrat in the delegation, but he'd still vote to the left of any Republican in the country.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #578 on: May 11, 2023, 08:39:10 AM »

So remember when I said McCarthy wouldn’t be open about his Santos distaste? Well I was wrong

If McCarthy had any backbone, he'd urge Santos to resign and if he refuses, strip from committee assignments and hold a vote to expel him.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #579 on: May 11, 2023, 08:57:17 AM »

Wake me up when the Netflix documentary comes out.

I doubt the man who invented Netflix is in the mood to be making any documentaries about himself right now.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #580 on: May 11, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »

Might be good to just turn this into a NY-3 megathread at this point.

Anna Kaplan in.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #581 on: May 11, 2023, 01:24:33 PM »

Why was Suozzi stupid enough to run for governor with no real shot at the nomination while giving up a swing seat and allowing this moron to be elected. He would have won against Santos, just like in 2020. He might have been the best Democrat in congress, but easily better than this.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #582 on: May 11, 2023, 01:42:43 PM »

Why was Suozzi stupid enough to run for governor with no real shot at the nomination while giving up a swing seat and allowing this moron to be elected. He would have won against Santos, just like in 2020. He might not have been the best Democrat in congress, but easily better than this.

Probably one part ego, one part fear of the perceived national environment, and one pat had done it before and met with similar results but still landed on his feet.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #583 on: May 11, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »

So remember when I said McCarthy wouldn’t be open about his Santos distaste? Well I was wrong

Unsurprising that the first time the Republican Party is acknowledging that laws applies to its members is when it's a gay guy breaking the law
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #584 on: May 11, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »

Why was Suozzi stupid enough to run for governor with no real shot at the nomination while giving up a swing seat and allowing this moron to be elected. He would have won against Santos, just like in 2020. He might have been the best Democrat in congress, but easily better than this.

And I don’t know why Pelosi and the DCCC didn’t try and talk him out of his suicide run for governor.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #585 on: May 11, 2023, 03:13:42 PM »

And I don’t know why Pelosi and the DCCC didn’t try and talk him out of his suicide run for governor.

What makes you think they didn’t?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #586 on: May 11, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »

Unsurprising that the first time the Republican Party is acknowledging that laws applies to its members is when it's a gay guy breaking the law

Ehh if he actually gave a crap about laws applying to its members he would be demanding Santos resign and calling a vote to expel his ass, but he hasn't since all he gives a crap about is his vote.    Instead he is simply stating he wouldn't support his re-election, which is obvious since McCarthy knows Santos doesn't have a shot in hell of winning re-election
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #587 on: May 11, 2023, 08:07:15 PM »

Because unless he is an idiot that’s all it should have taken for him to realize that he couldn’t win the governors race and should have run for re-election.  Also, I think there would have been reports of it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: May 11, 2023, 10:03:32 PM »

Because unless he is an idiot that’s all it should have taken for him to realize that he couldn’t win the governors race and should have run for re-election.  Also, I think there would have been reports of it.

Err…he is an idiot.  This has been very well-documented over the years.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #589 on: May 12, 2023, 09:42:31 AM »

Because unless he is an idiot that’s all it should have taken for him to realize that he couldn’t win the governors race and should have run for re-election.  Also, I think there would have been reports of it.

Err…he is an idiot.  This has been very well-documented over the years.

Yup. Perhaps this opens the chance we get a better Dem from that district either in 2024 or a potential special election in the meantime.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #590 on: May 12, 2023, 10:18:48 AM »

Suozzi always wanted to be governor, he was a suburban Democratic stan for the 2000s when he was Nassau County Exec after decades of GOP rule in Nassau, and he used that to run for governor in 2006, he challenged Eliot Spitzer and lost.

He's like Rob Andrews in NJ, suburban white Dems who don't get traction, Steve Bellone will face that if he runs for higher office

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #591 on: May 12, 2023, 04:30:25 PM »

Prior to being in Congress, Suozzi was the Mayor of Glen Cove and the Nassau County Executive.   He also did make a long shot bid for Governor in 2006, though did not have to give up his seat to do so (he was Nassau County Executive).  Suozzi likely simply would rather be an Executive then some middle of the road person in Congress (especially in the Minority Party), and would rather a shot in the dark chance at Governor
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #592 on: May 12, 2023, 05:23:14 PM »

Narcissism.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #593 on: May 15, 2023, 05:03:12 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2023, 03:16:25 PM by Lincoln General Court Member NewYorkExpress »

Activist and non-profit co-founder Zak Malamad is the fourth candidate to enter the Democratic Primary.

The contest to determine the Democratic nominee in the indicted Republican Rep. George Santos’ seat is getting more crowded by the day.

Zak Malamed, a Democratic Party activist and nonprofit co-founder from Great Neck, New York, announced his bid for New York’s 3rd Congressional District on Monday.

“I really, truly never imagined that the most dishonest MAGA Republican would be representing me in my own congressional district,” Malamed told HuffPost, “And that alone really inspired me and moved me to step up and help and serve.”

“When you see your home or your family or those close to you struggling, you really have two choices,” he added. “You can run away and avoid them, or you can help — and I’m choosing to step up and help and serve in this moment.”

Malamed, 29, is the co-founder and executive director of The Next 50, a group that raises money to elect younger Democrats to public office. Malamed describes himself as a “common sense Democrat,” who identifies with the views of the business-friendly New Democrat Coalition.

Three other candidates have already entered the Democratic primary: Nassau County legislator Josh Lafazan, former state Sen. Anna Kaplan and law professor Will Murphy.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #594 on: May 16, 2023, 03:17:46 PM »

Robert Garcia has introduced a motion to expel Santos.

Rep. Robert Garcia, D-Calif., introduced a resolution on the House floor Tuesday afternoon to expel GOP Rep. George Santos.

"I rise to give notice of my intent to raise a question of the privileges of the House. ... Rep. George Santos be, and hereby is, expelled from the House of Representatives," he said.

House Republicans can schedule this vote within two legislative days, but are likely to table it. It would need two-thirds majority to pass.

WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #595 on: May 16, 2023, 03:26:20 PM »

Regardless of whether George Santos actually gets expelled or resigns, he is most likely not keeping his seat for very long. He only won because of Lee Zeldin's extremely strong performance across New York. In 2024, New York will likely revert back to its typical, hyper-Democratic leanings, which is very bad news for Republicans who won in competitive districts, such as George Santos.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #596 on: May 16, 2023, 07:53:35 PM »

Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2023, 11:23:34 AM »

Shameful.  About a year ago I predicted that he wouldn’t survive a primary challenger but it’s looking increasingly likely that he may win a second term. He has active warrants and on a party-line vote they kept him in. Between him & Gosar threatening AOC last session, they really protect their own.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/16/1176489151/house-democrat-introduces-resolution-to-expel-rep-george-santos-from-congress
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2023, 11:41:01 AM »

Shameful.  About a year ago I predicted that he wouldn’t survive a primary challenger but it’s looking increasingly likely that he may win a second term. He has active warrants and on a party-line vote they kept him in. Between him & Gosar threatening AOC last session, they really protect their own.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/16/1176489151/house-democrat-introduces-resolution-to-expel-rep-george-santos-from-congress

Even if he somehow made it out of the primary he’s DOA in a general.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2023, 12:28:33 PM »

The problem Republicans have is that expelling Santos would trigger a special election that a Democrat would win. If they didn't hold such a narrow majority, I could see him being thrown out.

But Santos will still most likely lose the primary (he's not charismatic enough, despite "owning the libs") and then that Republican will lose to the Democratic candidate, especially if the district is redrawn.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies