German ancestry is #1, English ancestry is #2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:00:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  German ancestry is #1, English ancestry is #2 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German ancestry is #1, English ancestry is #2  (Read 3389 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: December 17, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »

Substantial proportions in the Appalachians and wherever there was significant Appalachian diaspora later will also have Welsh ancestry: now there's your ultimate forgotten ancestral grouping, later migration to Scranton, PA and some Mormons notwithstanding.

I have significant Welsh ancestry. In fact I'm almost 100% British according to my test results, mix of English, Scottish, and Welsh. (They have updated the results a few times to show Irish or various Scandinavian is also mixed in there a tiny amount, I'm guessing because Vikings in the latter case, but the other three are much larger and constant in every update.) But I didn't even know about the Welsh part prior to taking the DNA test.

I'd be a little careful with those as actual measures; among other things they measure your DNA and not your heritage, so that means you might randomly end up with more or less DNA from different branches. I have two friends who are brothers, both half-Ecuadorian and half white American, and they ended up with pretty different ancestry DNA test results -- one had much more African and European ancestry and one had much more Native American ancestry.

My theory is that one is far more likely for people to tag their English ancestry if it was via New England as opposed to the South.

Stated 'English' ancestry in the US census has for a long time mostly indicated known ancestry from New England, which is why the patterns are interesting even if they don't show what they purport to.

In fairness in the south it's usually been an indicator of "I'm affluent." (thus usually also corresponding to the pattern Torie talked about as far as who has access to genealogy.)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »

Anyway, nearly every White American* has at least some English ancestry

lol no we don't.  That's the most ignorant comment ever.  Not all white Americans are anglosaxons.

Most white Americans aren't WASPs of course, but most white Americans have some English ancestry unless they're part of a highly concentrated and recent diaspora community or some sort of group with heavy endogamy, which tbh is a pretty small percentage of white people. You almost certainly have some English or at least British Isles ancestry unless you fall in that camp!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 08:41:46 PM »

Here's an interesting find.  I thought German would clearly top the ancestry list in every Midwestern metro.  But in Indianapolis, English/American (19%) edges out German (17%).  I guess Indianapolis was always a more "native-born American" city.

Indianapolis also has long been a major outmigration destination for people from Central Appalachia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies