German ancestry is #1, English ancestry is #2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:33:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  German ancestry is #1, English ancestry is #2 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German ancestry is #1, English ancestry is #2  (Read 3423 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: December 17, 2022, 01:20:37 PM »

As I understand it, ACS only lets respondents list one or two ancestries for these surveys.

I wonder whether the changes over time for German, English, Irish etc numbers may just be people list a different answer or combination of answers for the survey.

As intermarriages continue most white Americans are a collection of ancestries. For instance I have Italian, Irish, Scottish, English and German ancestries. I have an Italian last name and feel most attached to my Italian roots, but by percentages I'm more Irish than anything. If I had to pick just one ancestry I don't know which I would pick, and I could see my answer changing over the years.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 05:55:12 PM »

While most Southern whites are primarily of English descent, I've heard that the more educated ones specifically identify as "English" while less educated ones identify "American".

For instance, Williamson County, TN is by far the most college-educated county in the state and also the only one where a plurality of residents specifically identify as English as opposed to American. Is there something distinct about the ancestry of people living in that particular county? I don't think so.

It's just one data point, but it's something to consider.
Possibly correlated with Episcopalian. There may be an Episcopal church in large Southern cities and not in more rural areas.

The correlation with Episcopalians is true in smaller towns in the South, but in the Northern cities that isn't the case, as Episcopalian congregations are increasingly made up of converts from other denominations (Catholic, Evangelical, etc.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies