Was Florida going Republican in any matchup in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:20:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Was Florida going Republican in any matchup in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Florida going Republican in any matchup in 2020?  (Read 1544 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: December 12, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »

Was Florida always going Republican in 2020, regardless of the matchup? I'm not even specifically thinking about Trump or even a Republican incumbent, just more general whether Florida trended too much right that no Democrat - even a relatively popular incumbent - couldn't have won it? Of course the margin was "only" four points then, but looking at 2022, I wonder whether 2020 was ever possible?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 04:33:09 PM »

I think so, especially with the migration a lot of people made to Florida during the pandemic to escape restrictions in other states. Florida was the poster child of a place where you can go where you won't need to wear a mask and where businesses wouldn't need to abide by capacity limits.

Somehow I feel like this a contradiction, especially when people say Trump either lost the 2020 election as whole because of Covid or was further jeopardized by his handling of the pandemic, while it helped him to win Florida. Or were Covid measures just unpopular in Florida for all the time? Usually you would have expected the opposite because the elderly were much more threatened by the virus at a time there was no vaccine available.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies