What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:18:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED)  (Read 17692 times)
Kuumo

P P
« on: December 16, 2022, 01:32:14 AM »
« edited: December 16, 2022, 01:49:01 AM by Kuumo »

Governor Whitmer Signs Right-to-Work Repeal

Quote from: Gretchen Whitmer, January 25, 2023
I am proud to sign this bill for the thousands of unionized workers in our state. Their day-and-night sacrifices ensure the smooth functioning of our economy. It's essential that employees are on equal footing to negotiate fair wages and workplace conditions to support their families.

December 2022

The news of President Biden declining to run for re-election surprised Governor Whitmer. His leadership had re-united the party and given the country a much needed recovery from the turbulent Trump years. But now, with the disgraced former President seemingly meeting his final comeuppance, that chapter was coming to a close.

Vice President Harris was the obvious choice for the party's next standard-bearer. Her experience as a state attorney general, U.S. Senator, and now VPOTUS certainly qualified her for the Presidency in terms of experience. But Whitmer had misgivings. She knew that, deserved or not, Harris was deeply unpopular with a large section of the electorate and considered the potential consequences. Even with Trump almost certainly gone, the likely candidates on the other side of the aisle didn't leave much hope for the future in the event of a Harris loss.

Though she had only seriously looked ahead to a second term as governor for the last few years, Whitmer couldn't help but consider another possibility. She would mull it over more and discuss it with Marc over Christmas.

January 2023

While attending to her usual duties as governor, Whitmer worked behind the scenes to gauge support among other state Democratic leaders in Michigan for a potential Presidential run. She agreed with the Democratic state legislative leadership that right-to-work repeal should be the first major bill passed, ensuring organized labor's continued support for the party in Michigan, as well as bringing national attention to the state.

February 2023

Whitmer met with Michigan's U.S. Senators Gary Peters and Debbie Stabenow and local political and community leaders in Detroit. An official Presidential campaign announcement is scheduled for March 6th.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 02:36:49 AM »

Governor Whitmer Announces 2024 Presidential Campaign
Detroit, Michigan
March 6th, 2023

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-business-michigan-gretchen-whitmer-afefc541df8d47d33c8032caf147e066

Thank you, Detroit!

It's been a pleasure serving as your governor. We've enshrined reproductive rights into our state constitution. We've legalized and regulated cannabis. We passed the highest investment in education in state history. We're even well on our way to fixing the damn roads.

You may have guessed why I'm here today. We stand at a crucial time not only for our state but for our entire country. Outside of Michigan, women's right to bodily autonomy remains under attack. Millions of Americans are without affordable health insurance. Climate change poses a serious threat to us all. While the Biden administration has worked to address these issues, there remains much still to be done. In my time as governor of Michigan, I've worked with both parties to tackle these issues and make a tangible difference for the better and will take this mentality to the national stage. That's why I'm running for President of the United States of America.

March 2023

After the governor's official campaign announcement, the Whitmer campaign focused on setting up field offices in the early states of South Carolina, New Hampshire, Nevada, and Michigan. Much of the attention in the first leg of the campaign season will be on the first three states, as she is expected to be heavily favored in the Michigan primary as the recently re-elected governor.

Whitmer flew into Las Vegas for the first stop of her campaign outside of Michigan, holding two town halls and meeting with the Culinary Union. Her campaign believes that the heavily unionized Democratic base in the city provides an opportunity to build support in the state.

April 2023

Despite the strong early advantage for Harris in the South Carolina primary, the Whitmer campaign sees potential in netting delegates and garnering media attention through a second or third-place finish in the nation's first contest. Whitmer met with Jim Clyburn, emphasizing her early support for President Biden, common policy priorities, and record of electability in a pivotal swing state. She also held town halls in Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville to increase her name recognition among South Carolina voters.

Whitmer also visited New Hampshire, visiting each county in the state and highlighting her strong record of support for abortion rights, labor unions, and universal pre-k.

May 2023

To improve her position with young voters, Whitmer hosted town halls at University of Nevada Reno, UNLV, and her alma mater Michigan State. The campaign also increased its presence on social media, including running ads in Spanish, to address Whitmer's anticipated weakness with young and Latino voters.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »

Gretchen Whitmer Debate Answers

https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/221013203401-gretchen-whitmer-debate-101322.jpg?c=original

1. An Opening Statement

Thank you to MSNBC and Drexel University for hosting this debate tonight. I’m Gretchen Whitmer, governor of Michigan and mother of two. We’re at a key moment for our country. With countless issues facing us from rising healthcare costs to crumbling infrastructure to climate change, we need someone in the White House with a proven record of action. In my politically divided state, I’ve won and delivered on my campaign promises even in the toughest of times. I will work my hardest for the American people without getting caught up in political grandstanding. I’ve heard the voices of those who feel left behind, from the inner city of Detroit to the shore of Lake Superior. I’ve been able to work together with anyone willing to listen, from advocacy groups to organized labor, to businesses, to people like you. I’ll answer any questions you have for me tonight about myself and my vision for our future.

2. Raise your hand if you support the adoption of a single-payer, "Medicare for All" style healthcare system.

does not raise hand

It’s imperative that we pass a public option to help the millions of Americans who live without affordable healthcare. However, those who are satisfied with their current health insurance plans should be given the choice to stay on those plans.

3. The world is faced with the imminent threat of catastrophic climate change. This means storms, droughts, and more common freak weather events, rising sea levels, among other negative consequences. What is your plan to address this, mitigate the effects, and prevent long term damage to the planet?

As governor, I’ve worked to address the effects of climate change on my state. I’ve witnessed the effects of it firsthand, with hotter and drier summers and more severe flooding. I understand the urgency of this threat and have taken an active role in combatting it. We Michiganders are proud of our auto industry. During my time as governor, we’ve worked with Ford and other Michigan companies to reduce carbon emissions through producing more electric vehicles, improving public transportation, reducing heating costs, and phasing out coal. My Michigan Healthy Climate Plan outlines a strategy for cutting emissions in half by 2030 and reaching carbon neutrality by 2050. I would pursue similar policies on a federal level to meet the same benchmarks nationally.

4. What could we expect for the first 100 Days of your presidency?

I would lead the country as President the way I’ve served the people of Michigan as governor. Even when Republicans held the legislature, we still passed historic investments in education and infrastructure. I believe that we can make similar progress in Washington by raising the federal minimum wage, passing paid parental leave, investing in green energy, codifying Roe into federal law, and starting work on a public option for health insurance. The day-to-day job of President is difficult and far from glamorous, but my experience in Lansing as both a legislator and executive prepares me for the challenge.

5. Who is the United States's greatest geopolitical adversary?

At the moment, our greatest adversary is clearly Russia, a nuclear power that, after intervening in our country’s elections, is conducting a brutal invasion of Ukraine over its elected government’s intention to pursue closer ties with the West. Thanks to the leadership of President Zelensky and staunch international support for Ukraine, Putin’s offensive has stalled, and the Russian economy has floundered. With continued aid to Ukraine and sanctions on Russia, the Ukrainian people may finally live in peace again.

6. Is the water in Flint drinkable yet and, if not, what is your responsibility, if any?

The lead levels in the water are now below the federally mandated limit. We finished replacing the 30,000 service lines in Flint at the end of last year. In response to this crisis, I worked with the Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy to develop the Michigan Clean Water Plan that invests 500 million dollars into replacing lead service lines, strengthening oversight of water supplies, and targeted infrastructure investments in underserved communities. With Attorney General Nessel, we reached a $600 million settlement for Flint families. While the contaminated water caused irreparable damage to many Flint residents, we’ve done everything we can under my administration to prevent any similar tragedies.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »

Rebuttal to Kirsten Gillibrand

Quote from: Gretchen Whitmer
It’s imperative that we pass a public option to help the millions of Americans who live without affordable healthcare. However, those who are satisfied with their current health insurance plans should be given the choice to stay on those plans.

Quote from: Kirsten Gillibrand
Lester-Lester, if I could just cut in here for a second. Governor Whitmer, how can you not realize the imminent danger that millions of Americans face when they get injured, have to get medicine, or have a loved one in danger? It has become a national epidemic in which people have to ration their medicine in order to live - how can you defend this? As President, I'll pass Medicare for All, get people the medicine they need, and stop the pharmaceutical companies from taking over our country. I have no times to big pharma, unlike Governor Whitmer, which is why I question her judgement on this issue. I mean, c'mon, we've got to do something. Staying the course will lead to people dying, and I for one, am not on board with that.

Senator Gillibrand is misrepresenting my position here; I believe that healthcare is a human right and that anyone who wants the benefits of Medicare should be allowed access to it. I'm also not beholden to the pharmaceutical industry. Healthcare is a personal issue to me. When my mother was dying of cancer, I fought the insurance company to cover her chemotherapy, and I've done my part in expanding access for those most in need. I remember when I first ran for governor and Senator Gillibrand publicly endorsed me over my two opponents in the primary who supported Medicare for All. But today, as she has on issues ranging from guns to immigration, she reverses her opinion of me for naked political opportunism.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 08:43:44 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2023, 09:16:15 PM by Kuumo »

Whitmer Campaign Summer Strategy

With the unexpected entrance of former Vice President Al Gore into the race, the Whitmer campaign no longer saw a path to delegate viability in South Carolina and started diverting resources in the state to Nevada and New Hampshire. A victory in one of these contests is seen as crucial to amassing delegates and building momentum before the must-win Michigan primary. Whitmer's strongest arguments for her candidacy are her progressive record as a swing-state governor and her electability as the only Democratic candidate to have won a recent competitive general election. On the campaign trail, she portrays herself as a pragmatic progressive who can both win and deliver on her promises.

June 2023

The Whitmer campaign sees a path to victory in New Hampshire through the industrial towns, suburbs, and rural areas of the state. Barnstorming communities across the state, from Manchester to Dixville Notch, Whitmer emphasized her views and experience on education, infrastructure, and abortion, hoping to win over many of the moderate Democrats and independents who backed Secretary Buttigieg and Senator Klobuchar in 2020.

July 2023

Governor Whitmer returned to Nevada, hoping to increase her support among unionized workers and nonwhite voters in the state. She met with community leaders and activists in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Paradise, touting her role in the repeal of right-to-work and her work on reducing the rate of unnecessary incarceration in Michigan. More investment was put into organization in Nevada, as the caucus system of the state necessitates strong ground game to have a chance at winning.

August 2023

Whitmer toured New England, starting in Burlington, Vermont, and ending in Bangor, Maine, stopping in Rutland, Worcester, Boston, Nashua, Manchester, Dover, and Portland along the way. As well as continued publicity in New Hampshire, the three surrounding states vote on Super Tuesday and are seen as part of Whitmer's path to the nomination.

September 2023

Whitmer campaigned in Minnesota, another Super Tuesday state seen as favorable due to its proximity and demographic similarity to Michigan, visiting Minneapolis, Rochester, and Duluth. She met with Senator Amy Klobuchar and Governor Tim Walz, seeking their endorsements before flying to Reno for a few events in Washoe County and Carson City.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 01:08:53 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 01:16:48 PM by Kuumo »

https://wwmt.com/resources/media/720d911d-a64d-499f-b28a-3ebdf2301d0c-full36x25_AP22298850800285.jpg?1667975194198

1. What is your approach to immigration policy. Do you support increasing the cap for asylum seekers and refugees? Do you support more liberal measures like decriminalizing illegal border crossings into the United States?

We should increase the refugee cap. Refugees risk their lives and livelihoods to come here, and we have the capacity to support them. They have made America the place it is today, from Jews fleeing Nazi persecution to dissidents escaping the oppressive regimes behind the Iron Curtain. We have a duty to help these people find a new life for themselves. However, I oppose decriminalizing illegal border crossings. These proposals are well-meaning but don’t address the root of the issue. We would have fewer people in the country illegally if it weren’t for our broken immigration system. We have problems with people overstaying their visas or sneaking across the border because of the unnecessarily long and difficult process of getting a green card or becoming a citizen. We need to reform our immigration system to include a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants with a record of employment and without other criminal offenses. That way, ICE could focus on keeping out the violent offenders while the otherwise law-abiding illegal immigrants wouldn’t have to resort to coming in illegally.

2. There has been an uptick in crime, especially in urban areas like New York City and Chicago since the COVID-19 pandemic. What measures will you support to bring crime, theft, and gun violence under control?

One of the biggest problems today is the distrust of law enforcement in many of our most vulnerable communities. Many people I’ve talked to in Michigan feel that they can’t trust their local police departments to keep them safe. We need to provide adequate funding and training for our law enforcement officers. If we can instill mutual trust between police departments and the communities they serve, fewer violent crimes would go unreported, more criminals would be caught, and we would all be safer. Requiring body cams for police officers and recruiting more nonwhite officers in minority communities would be a start. Most of the current policy on illegal drugs also punishes the wrong people, often in racially biased ways. Measures like mandatory minimums increase our incarcerated population but don’t make us safer. Just as I have as governor, I’d cut down on unfair sentencing for nonviolent drug-related offenses. We can also pass some common-sense restrictions for gun purchases. The vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens, but we need federally mandated background checks to keep them out of the hands of criminals and hopefully reduce the tragically high number of firearm-related deaths in this country. With oversight of police departments, sentencing reform, decriminalization of cannabis, and common-sense regulations on guns, we can bring justice to the families and communities hit hard by crime.

3. What measures would you take as President to protect access to abortion for women in states where state governments have taken measures against abortion rights? What about measures for LGBT people?

One of my top priorities as President would be working with Congress to codify Roe into federal law. Tragically, we’ve already seen the consequences of the Dobbs decision, where women in poverty, underaged girls, and victims of sexual assault are forced to give birth against their will. These incidents will continue if the most radical elements of the conservative base have their way. Additionally, conservative activists are working to roll back rights for LGBT Americans. In about half of the country, legislators have been pushing for suppressing knowledge of LGBT issues in public schools. In half of the country, it’s still perfectly legal to fire someone for who they love or how they identify. Hate crimes and violence against LGBT Americans have increased the last few years. Thus, it’s absolutely necessary that we pass the Equality Act that expands the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include protections against discrimination in employment and housing on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

4. Are you concerned about Saudi interference in American elections? How do you view our relationship with the Kingdom in general, is it time to re-evaluate what has been a longstanding alliance?

We definitely need to reconsider our relationship with the Saudis. Though we may have needed their support in the past, this attempted election interference caps off a long series of human rights abuses committed by the regime both domestically and internationally. Moving forward, as we move away from Gulf state-sourced oil, we should think twice before militarily supporting a regime that actively destabilizes neighboring countries, assassinates dissident journalists, and has one of the worst records on women’s, workers’, and gay rights in the world.

5. Raise your hand if you support a gun buyback program, voluntary or mandatory. (You may write one sentence)

raises hand

Yes, I would support a voluntary gun buyback program.

6. Would you sign the PRO Act, which protects collective bargaining on a national level, if elected President?

Definitely. I would sign the PRO Act just as I signed right-to-work repeal in Michigan. Millions of hard-working Americans feel left behind by their employers. The rail strike earlier this year highlights the unsafe working conditions of employees in our most essential industries, in that case a high risk of accidents due to understaffed workplaces and no days of sick leave even at the height of the pandemic. With the PRO Act, they and countless other workers in right-to-work states would be able to get the benefits and protections they need.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 05:12:29 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2023, 05:21:23 PM by Kuumo »

Whitmer Campaign Fall Strategy

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2023/01/01/PLSJ/85881d7a-5a7b-4bd8-b0be-fcf4dfae7834-Whitmer_Inauguration-3.jpg?crop=2399%2C1350%2Cx0%2Cy276&width=1200

The Whitmer campaign took advantage of its momentum following the Philadelphia debate to further strengthen the governor's position in New Hampshire and Nevada. The primary focus was on New Hampshire, where the declining poll numbers of Secretary Buttigieg and the recent endorsement of Senator Klobuchar seemed to validate her plan for winning the state through a coalition of organized labor, suburban women, rural Democrats, and moderate independents. In Nevada, Whitmer doubled down on efforts to increase her support among unionized workers and the black, Latino, and Asian communities in the state. In Michigan, to counter attempts by other candidates to contest the state, Lieutenant Governor Gilchrist and Senator Peters campaigned for Whitmer, with the former focusing on black communities to defend against Vice President Harris's efforts to build inroads. The remaining campaign resources in South Carolina were withdrawn, as the Whitmer campaign sees former Vice President Gore and Mayor Adams as the only viable challengers to Vice President Harris there.

As one of the youngest candidates left in the race, Whitmer reached out to Millennial and Gen Z voters by emphasizing her green energy initiatives as governor and her role in increasing the minimum wage as a state senator and portraying herself as one of a new generation of Democratic leaders.

October 2023

Whitmer went all in on New Hampshire, relentlessly barnstorming the state to reach low-propensity primary voters. Frequently accompanied by Senator Klobuchar and former Representative Carol Shea-Porter, the governor made the case for being the most electable Democratic candidate and an experienced executive and legislator who could get her agenda passed in Washington.

November 2023

Whitmer met individually with leaders of the Culinary Union and with immigrant advocacy groups in Las Vegas. She also met with black, Latino, and Asian community leaders in the area and held a town hall at UNLV before heading north for campaign stops in the rural communities of Pioche, Ely, Elko, and Winnemucca. Her tour of the state ended in Reno with two town halls and more meetings with labor and community leaders.

Statement on 11/8 attacks:

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the five people who died in the line of duty today . . .

We've seen a disturbing number of domestic terrorism incidents recently. I've even had one targeting me. But we can overcome this. The forces of fear will not win.

December 2023

Other than one more weekend of events in New Hampshire, December was largely quiet in terms of travel, with Whitmer focusing on her duties as governor and working with her campaign team in Lansing.

January 2024

Whitmer returned to New Hampshire and campaigned there for a few more weeks before returning to campaign headquarters in Lansing just in time for the South Carolina primary results.

Campaign ad run in the Boston, Las Vegas, and Reno media markets:

Hi, I’m Gretchen Whitmer.

[Whitmer standing in a public park]

Tired of the gridlock and grandstanding in Washington? Had enough of politicians who are all talk and no action?

[U.S. Capitol with overlaid images of Mitch McConnell and Steve Scalise and stock photos of offices and corporate boardrooms]

Growing up in Lansing, Michigan, my parents instilled in me the value of hard work. My first jobs were working in a lumber yard and stocking shelves at Target.

[footage of workers at a lumber yard]

Here in Lansing, I’ve done as much as possible to make life better for everyday Michiganders. From raising the minimum wage, to expanding Medicaid, to fighting for reproductive rights and collective bargaining, to transitioning the economy toward a carbon-neutral future, I’ve worked with people from all walks of life to build a better future. In the White House, I’ll bring that same can-do attitude and do what it takes to tackle the problems America faces today.

[image of Michigan State Capitol followed by footage of Whitmer talking to various people]

I’m Gretchen Whitmer, and I approve this message.

[Whitmer campaign logo on dark background]
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 12:38:44 PM »

The Final Push in New Hampshire and Nevada

After issuing a brief statement following the South Carolina primary congratulating Vice President Harris on her victory and former Vice President Gore on his strong second-place finish, Whitmer focused on holding onto her position in New Hampshire. Late momentum for Senator Merkley and former Vice President Gore made the state a free-for-all between the Democratic candidates. But Whitmer could point to the endorsements of Senator and former governor Maggie Hassan and the traditionally conservative New Hampshire Union Leader as positive signs for her campaign. The withdrawal of Secretary Buttigieg also made it easier for the campaign to tap into his base of support. Whitmer hit the campaign trail in the two days before the primary, appearing frequently with Senator Hassan, former Representative Shea-Porter and former Attorney General Joseph Foster.

Quote from: Maggie Hassan, Manchester, February 4th, 2024
As a state senator, governor, and now U.S. Senator from New Hampshire, I know a leader when I see one. Gretchen Whitmer has worked tirelessly for the people of her state her entire career, and I have the utmost confidence that she'll do the same for the American people as our next President. Give it up for Gretchen!

On February 4th, Whitmer held rallies in the population centers of Nashua, Manchester, and Concord, accompanied by Foster in Nashua and Senator Hassan in all three. On the 5th, she headed north to campaign in Laconia and Berlin and finished the day in Dover and Portsmouth with Carol Shea-Porter. On primary day, Whitmer assisted with directing the GOTV efforts of phonebanking and busing voters to the polls at the state campaign headquarters in Manchester.

In Nevada, the Whitmer campaign's ground game focused on turnout in Las Vegas and Reno, particularly among voters with irregular work shifts such as many casino employees. While Whitmer herself could not visit the state, her surrogates Amy Klobuchar and Tim Ryan campaigned on her behalf in Las Vegas on February 5th. The campaign does not expect to win the Nevada primary, but a solid performance there is seen as necessary to build momentum before the must-win Michigan primary.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 03:53:30 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2023, 04:46:32 PM by Kuumo »

Gretchen Whitmer Campaign Ad #2

[ad shows videos of three voters explaining why they support Gretchen Whitmer for President]

Hi, I'm Jeff, bakery owner and father of three in Derry. I'm a lifelong Republican, but I'm fed up with the division and virtue signaling on both sides of the aisle. From progressives calling for opening the border and defunding the police to conservatives denying election results and trying to cut entitlements, I've had enough of the toxicity of today's politics. There's only one candidate running who's willing to work with anyone and get down to business on the issues that matter. That's Gretchen Whitmer.

I'm Cynthia, public school teacher in Whitefield. I'm voting for Gretchen Whitmer because she's proven her commitment to education through her active role in HB 4411, the largest investment in Michigan public schools in state history. It ensured additional funding for historically neglected districts and expanded access to preschool, special ed, and mental health resources across the state. As a teacher, that means a lot to me.

My name is Keith. I've worked in the steel industry here in Dover for 30 years. I support Governor Whitmer because she's been willing to stand up for people like me, my coworkers, and my family through repealing right-to-work, improving workplace protections, and raising the minimum wage. We need the next President to be someone who listens to the concerns of everyday Americans and does everything she can to help.

I'm Gretchen Whitmer, and I approve this message.

Ad runs in New Hampshire from January 1st to February 6th.

Gretchen Whitmer Campaign Ad #3

[ad shows video of a police officer talking to the camera followed by clips of Gretchen Whitmer meeting with community leaders in the Las Vegas area]

Hi, I'm Diego. I'm a police officer in North Las Vegas. The last couple of years, we've seen a surge in crime in here. It's easy to politicize this. A lot of candidates running for President are doing just that. But the real answer is that we don't need catchy slogans about being tough on crime or abolishing prisons. We need someone who's willing to visit our neighborhoods and get an on-the-ground look at the reasons why our communities have struggled. Out of everyone running, I trust Gretchen Whitmer to reform our justice system, invest in our communities, and keep us safe.

I'm Gretchen Whitmer, and I approve this message.

Ad runs in both English and Spanish in the Las Vegas media market from January 1st to February 6th.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 10:45:48 AM »

The Road Back to Michigan

Thank you. I just got off the phone with Senator Merkley. Even though we didn’t get the result we hoped for tonight, it’s far from over. We’re overperforming in Nevada, and Michigan is just around the corner. We couldn’t have gotten this far without the support of people like you. Let’s do this.
--Gretchen Whitmer, Manchester, NH, February 6th, 2024

Although Whitmer had come up short in New Hampshire, the campaign saw her third-place position in the delegate count and continued strong polling lead in Michigan as reasons to stay in the race. The Georgia primary was not seen as a worthwhile investment as polling showed Whitmer below delegate viability and only Vice President Harris and former Vice President Gore with a chance of winning.

After a brief campaign stop in Maine following the New Hampshire primary, Whitmer focused on maximizing her margin of victory in Michigan. Due to her recent gubernatorial re-election campaign and strong connections in her home state, the campaign refrained from major ad buys, instead focusing on ground game in the state and reserving ad slots in the Super Tuesday states of Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Iowa. The Whitmer campaign aimed to maximize rural turnout and stem bleeding of progressives and black voters to Senator Merkley and Vice President Harris. Arabic-language ads on social media were also released to reach the Arab American community in Dearborn. Whitmer embarked on a quick tour of the state stopping in Marquette, Traverse City, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Saginaw, and Flint and ending in the Detroit metro. At one of her campaign events in Detroit, she appeared with local rapper Gmac Cash, of “Big Gretch” fame, to boost her appeal among his many fans in the area.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2023, 04:04:50 PM by Kuumo »

Whitmer Campaign Post-Michigan Strategy

With favorable polling numbers and the tireless campaigning of Whitmer and her home-state surrogates, the Whitmer campaign felt optimistic about their chances of bouncing back after a dominant victory in Michigan. This left the question of where to go after the primary calendar left Whitmer's home turf.

Based on the results of the first four primaries, Whitmer was believed to have the most support in the Midwest and Northeast. The states of Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, and Iowa were seen as the most winnable contests after Michigan due to their demographics and the support of established political leaders, with Governor Janet Mills, Representative Jared Golden, Representative Stephen Lynch, and former Representatives Cindy Axne, Abby Finkenauer, and Dave Loebsack announcing their endorsements of Whitmer. Much of the campaign's efforts outside of Michigan were on organization in the cities, suburbs, and small towns of these four states.

Governor Whitmer also announced the endorsements of several of Colorado's most prominent Democratic political leaders, with Governor Jared Polis, Senator Michael Bennet, and Representative Ed Perlmutter providing the campaign a significant boost there. While the Whitmer campaign still expects Colorado to back Senator Merkley, a path to victory was seen through the Denver suburbs, the Colorado Springs metro, and ski resort towns in the state.

The campaign also bought ad slots in the media markets of other states that were seen as less winnable but crucial for the delegate count, recognizing that a slightly stronger performance in the Atlanta suburbs could have netted Whitmer a few delegates there. The campaign saw an opening among upper middle class voters in the traditionally conservative suburbs of cities like Dallas, Charlotte, and San Diego that may have been hesitant to support the other major Democratic candidates.

The resource allocation for field organization was as follows:

Tier 1:
Colorado
Iowa
Maine
Massachusetts
Minnesota

Tier 2:
California
Texas
Vermont
Virginia

Tier 3:
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Utah

Tier 4:
Alabama
Arkansas
Tennessee
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 08:20:08 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2023, 09:10:51 PM by Kuumo »

Gretchen Whitmer's Last Rally Before Primary Day
Detroit, Michigan
February 26th, 2024

https://cdn.britannica.com/22/237022-050-65750A04/Michigan-governor-Gretchen-Whitmer-2022.jpg

I got a very special guest here tonight, who invested in our jobs and public schools, set us up for the future with green energy, made being governor look cool, and fixed the damn roads. I'm proud to introduce the one and only Big Gretch!
--Gmac Cash

Thanks, Gmac! *laughs* We've come a long way, folks. Just one year ago, I was still just "that woman in Michigan." Today, no matter what happens tomorrow, we've made a splash across the nation. We've shown that despite the all the monumental challenges facing us, and the toxicity and division so common everywhere, we can still come together and get it done. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without you. I've asked myself many times why I'm doing this. But then I hear from one of the countless people who work hard and play by the rules and still struggle to make ends meet. I've done my best to make our state a better place for everyone. The single mom working three jobs, the father put behind bars as a victim of drug addiction, the people of Flint who lived for years without drinkable water. These people are everywhere, and they need our help.

. . .

So go out and vote, and let's win this thing!

--Gretchen Whitmer
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2023, 07:38:45 PM by Kuumo »

Whitmer Campaign Super Tuesday Schedule

The mood was tense at Whitmer HQ going into the night of the Michigan primary. This night could make or break the campaign. Some of Whitmer's advisors worried that her time had passed with recent movement toward other candidates. But Whitmer herself remained confident in her fellow Michiganders. As the results rolled in, all fears of an upset or razor-thin race were put to rest.

Quote from: Gretchen Whitmer, Lansing, Michigan, February 27th, 2024
Thank you, Michigan!

I am truly humbled tonight. You showed the nation that for all the sound and the fury, for all the unforeseen problems thrown our way, we can still come together and build a better future for all Americans. We're going to take our grit and unbroken spirit across the country and take our movement all the way to the White House!

The decisive victory provided a much-needed boost to the Whitmer campaign. As the donations rolled in after the win, Whitmer hit the trail to spread her message before Super Tuesday. Maine, Minnesota, and Iowa seemed ripe for the picking, while the other contests outside of the Deep South held potential for additional delegates.

February 28th

The day after the Michigan primary, Whitmer flew into Portland, Maine, to solidify her position in a state largely overlooked by the other campaigns. She campaigned with Governor Janet Mills in Portland and with Representative Jared Golden in Lewiston and Bangor.

February 29th

Whitmer held a rally at the University of Minnesota before heading to St. Cloud and Duluth.

March 1st

Whitmer campaigned in St. Paul and Rochester before moving on to Iowa.

March 2nd

In a manner reminiscent of the campaigns of past Democratic Presidential hopefuls, Whitmer hit as many Iowa towns as possible in a day, stopping in Des Moines, Ames, Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and Davenport before flying to Dallas that night.

March 3rd

Unlike in Maine, Minnesota, and Iowa, the Whitmer campaign knew they had no chance of winning Texas. But encouraging polling showing Whitmer just above the delegate viability threshold and the endorsements of Representatives Colin Allred, Sylvia Garcia, and Veronica Escobar made campaigning for the second largest delegate prize of the night a necessity. Events in Colorado Springs and Denver were cancelled to allow for an additional day in Texas.

On March 3rd, Whitmer held rallies with Allred in Dallas and with Garcia in Houston.

March 4th

Whitmer campaigned with Escobar in San Antonio and Austin.

Surrogate schedules

Maine: Golden barnstormed rural northern Maine while Mills focused on getting out the vote in the larger towns on the coast.

Massachusetts: Stephen Lynch campaigned for Whitmer in the Boston area, especially his native South Boston while Representative Bill Keating campaigned in the Cape Cod region.

Virginia: Abigail Spanberger lead GOTV efforts in Richmond and NoVA.

Minnesota: Tim Walz campaigned in his native southern Minnesota, Tina Smith campaigned in the Twin Cities, and Amy Klobuchar campaigned in the rest of the state.

Iowa: Finkenauer, Loebsack, and Axne campaigned in their former congressional districts.

Colorado: Ed Perlmutter campaigned in the Denver suburbs, and Michael Bennet campaigned all over the state to do his best to make up for Whitmer's absence.

Texas: Colin Allred campaigned in Dallas-Fort Worth. Sylvia Garcia and Veronica Escobar lead Hispanic outreach efforts, with Garcia focusing on Houston and Escobar on El Paso and the Rio Grande Valley.

Gretchen Whitmer Campaign Ad #4

Escobar: Hi, I'm Veronica Escobar.

[Veronica Escobar standing near the U.S.-Mexico border in El Paso]

I remember the day four years ago when Gretchen Whitmer and I had the honor of giving the responses to the State of the Union.

[clips of Trump's 2020 State of the Union address, Whitmer's response, and Escobar's response]

In those grim times, we saw that we could make America better.

[images of overcrowded hospitals in 2020]

Though we come from very different places and backgrounds, Gretchen and I share the same values of perseverance, honesty, and compassion.

[cut back to Escobar]

As governor, she has delivered on those values, from making college more affordable, to improving conditions in the workplace, to ensuring a safer future for our children by transitioning Michigan toward a carbon-neutral future.

[clips of Whitmer]

I trust Gretchen Whitmer to protect our workers, fix our healthcare system, reform our immigration laws, and keep politics out of the classroom.

[cut back to Escobar]

Whitmer: I'm Gretchen Whitmer, and I approve this message.

[video of Gretchen Whitmer]

Ad runs in Texas in both English and Spanish.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 02:02:06 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2023, 02:20:34 AM by Kuumo »

Whitmer Campaign Super Tuesday II Schedule

After the big victories in Iowa, Maine, and Minnesota on Super Tuesday, the Whitmer campaign hoped to stay in contention with strong performances in the Midwestern states of Kansas and Missouri.

March 6th-8th: Missouri

The day after Super Tuesday, Whitmer flew into St. Louis as the first stop of her tour, holding a large rally and meeting with community leaders throughout the metro. The next two days were spent in Jefferson City, Columbia, Independence, and Kansas City.

March 9th-10th: Kansas

After finishing her tour of the Kansas City area in Overland Park, Whitmer continued westward, holding events in Lawrence, Topeka, Manhattan, and Wichita. Aware of the drastic cuts to education under former governor Brownback still fresh in the minds of many Kansas Democrats, she took care to mention her record on investment in the public school system as governor of Michigan whenever possible.

March 11th: Washington

On the final day before the election, Whitmer appeared in Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia, emphasizing her record on labor issues and green energy as governor in the hopes of winning enough support in the state to reach delegate viability.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 03:51:07 AM »

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4fKT-HVA4-c/maxresdefault.jpg

1. Due to provocations against Taiwan by the People's Republic of China, President Biden has deployed a Carrier Strike Group to American base Yokosuka and American patrols routinely approach Taiwan as a defensive measure. President Biden has also said there would be "extreme consequences" for any attack on Taiwan. Do you support President Biden's actions in this area and would you support a military response in the event of an attack?

President Biden made the right move. We can't send the message to China that they can get away with invading Taiwan. If the situation escalates, sanctions and additional military actions should certainly be on the table. But I have confidence that the President and the State Department can manage to find a peaceful resolution.

2. Do you support President Biden's partial student loan debt cancellation? Would you push for more broad action in this area as President? How would you deal with the challenge of a Supreme Court hostile to debt cancellation?

Yes, college education is too costly. Our young people shouldn't have to go thousands of dollars in debt to learn necessary skills for their careers. If at all possible, I would extend Biden's debt relief plan to cover all student loans. On the issue of the Supreme Court, I will try my hardest to get debt cancellation codified into federal law by Congress and appoint federal judges more in tune with the will of the people.

3. Homelessness has been rising in America, and this is no less true in big cities such as Chicago. What would you do to bring homelessness, and rising housing costs in general, under control?

We need the federal government to work closely with state and municipal governments to properly address the issue in different cities. In general, we should put more investment into affordable housing and public transportation so that our cities can be livable for anyone who wants to live in them, not just the rich.

4. America continues to be vexed by the challenge of failing public schools, the effects of COVID-19 shutdown have made these issues even worse, with massive gaps appearing among the youth and catastrophic shortfalls in reading, math, and other areas. As President, what solutions would you push for in the area of public education?

I'm no stranger to this issue. The COVID pandemic hit Michigan public schools hard. Far too many districts lacked the resources to continue functioning remotely. So as governor, I worked with educators and legislators to address these shortcomings by passing the largest education investment in state history. And as President, I would pursue similar policies, with targeted grants for struggling districts, improvement in special education and mental health resources, renovation of schoolhouses, and ensuring computer access to every student.

5. Raise your hand if you support continued monetary and weapons aide to Ukraine, as the war now enters its third year.

raises hand

Yes, I fully support continuing our efforts to help the Ukrainian people defend their national sovereignty from those who seek to destroy it.

6. As President would you support abolition or reform of the Senate filibuster to more easily enact Democratic agenda items?

The filibuster is a holdover from another time. A time when both parties could often cooperate in the Senate despite their differences. But today, we have a situation where the filibuster is a barrier to lasting progress. We will never pass a public option, raise the minimum wage, or meaningfully address the threat of climate change while the filibuster remains in place. These are policies supported by a majority of Americans that may never see the light of day because of an outdated procedural rule. With the problems we face today, we need to act now. So as President, I would support efforts by Senate leadership to abolish the filibuster.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 11:34:02 PM »

Gretchen Whitmer Suspends Campaign, Endorses Gore

The day after Super Tuesday II, after much debate with her campaign staff, Governor Whitmer made an important announcement in Lansing:

It's been a long journey. I've had the pleasure of travelling across the country and meeting people from all walks of life.

I'd like to thank all of you for making this campaign possible. Visiting your communities, hearing your stories, this is what keeps me going day to day. I'm also very grateful to my husband Marc and my daughters Sherry and Sydney for keeping me sane. And thanks to Garlan Gilchrist for holding this state together in my absence.
*laughs*

Today, I am suspending my campaign for President of the United States. But the fight is not over. We need a leader ready to face any challenge, who will win in November and step up to govern on day one. I hope you'll join me in supporting Al Gore as the next leader of the free world!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies