What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:01:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED)  (Read 17776 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« on: December 18, 2022, 04:12:11 PM »

JEFF MERKLEY 2024

The Pre-Campaign:

Before officially moving forward with the decision to run for President, Senator Jeff Merkley began getting his name out there. He very openly discussed with staffers that after President Biden's decision to retire, he was very strongly considering it as an option. He knew that in some ways this campaign may feel one cycle too late. He passed up on 2020 when he knew Bernie would take his lane, now AOC would likely do the same. But he felt there was an angle. One that would appeal to a broad coalition of Warren and Sanders progressives looking for an experienced, electable fighter.

But to do this, Americans had to discover who he was. For this reasons, with the new year he began leaking to the rumor mill almost immediately. His efforts to do so had placed him an option in some public polling, but only registering around 1% usually. Still, this was a start. Just having his name in contention was the first step on the path to becoming a major candidate, but he would have to get ahead of the pack to do so. He prepared to reach a national audience on MSNBC primetime Friday night with an appearance on Chris Hayes, for whom he had been a frequent contributor in the past. It was clear to most where this interview was headed.

All In with Chris Hayes, February 3, 2023

Image Credit:https://www.merkley.senate.gov/news/video/senator-merkley-speaks-out-against-chained-cpi

Excerpt from Interview:
Hayes: Next up we've got a longtime friend of the show, he describes himself as a strong progressive and I believe he has some sort of announcement for us, welcome Senator Jeff Merkley!

Merkley: Thank you Chris, great to be here.

Hayes: Now Senator, you've been outspoken on a number of issues, from housing to the climate to filibuster reform, just recently you were one of the only Democrats to vote against ending the rail strike, so I've got to ask what are you going to do about it? Or more pecifically, and the question that's on everyone's mind, are you going to run for President in 2024?

Merkley: Well as you and your viewers know, right now we as Americans face unprecedented challenges to our nation. Our democracy is under assault, the middle class is disappearing, the wealth gap grow more every day. And it's for those reasons that I can say I've decided I will be running for President of the United States and you'll see an official announcement in a few days where I'll lay out more of my plans.

Hayes: Well there you have it folks, ...

Shortly after the interview, Senator Merkley picked up on his momentum from social media buzz by announcing the date of his formal campaign announcement. February 6, at the site of the Bonneville Lock and Dam. He knew his targets in the primary would be Nevada and New Hampshire, so setting this date would give him an entire year to shore up support in these states. The site of the dam would be a reminder to viewers of the New Deal and the principles of progressivism. Press gathered to meet him in eastern Multnomah County. After an Indigenous people's land acknowledgement performed by his staff, he took the stage to the tune of "Roll On Columbia" by Woody Guthrie (which would be his official campaign song).

Wikimedia Commons

Excerpt from Speech:
Thank you everyone for being here.

As we gather here today, we are near the site of the Bonneville Dam and Lock. It was constructed here in the 1930s during the Roosevelt administration, through funding provided by the Public Works Administration. Its construction has created thousands of jobs and provided good clean energy to the people of the Pacific Northwest for decades. It's a powerful reminder of what government can do when it decides to take the tools given to them by the right of the people and provide for the common good. It's what was done and it's what we still can do now.

I've said it before, but we face unprecedented challenges in America today. We are entering into a completely new economic structure, and it's one where working people are increasingly getting left out. The minimum wage hasn't risen in over a decade, a pandemic devastated working families while billionaire profits soared, housing is growing so expensive people can't afford to live in the communities they grew up in, climate disaster poses an existential threat to our planet and one political party threatens to wage war on the democratic structures that built up our great republic.

At times like this it can be easy to become apathetic, to give in to the chaos. But we cannot give in. For everyone whose lives would be devastated by these threats, we cannot give in. We have to remain tough, but optimistic. We need a new generation of happy warriors in this country to fight the battles of today. And we have to remember yet again, what government can do when it's done right.

Ever since I was elected to office, I've worked day in and day out to fight for progress and a better future for the next generation. There have been struggles, but they only make the need for the triumphs that much more important. And because of this experience and because I still believe our country can dream forward, I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States of America.

After the event, "Dream Forward" would be announced as the official slogan of the Merkley 2024 campaign.

The Early Campaign:

Senator Merkley immediately began his campaign by bringing his campaign staff from his successful 2020 re-election back on board. He would use this as a framework to expand his campaign infrastructure from as he began fundraising. Some of his first dollars from his fundraising efforts would go towards digital ads, specifically targeting young voters. He knew this would be the element of the Sander coalition least likely to interested in his campaign, so he would repeatedly emphasize how he was the only Senator to endorse Bernie in 2016.

Merkley also released a set of policy proposals on his website that tracked closely with what he had advocated for in the Senate. He called for cracking down on foreign investors jacking up housing prices as well as investing billions into a Federal Housing Plan. He promised to continue the fight against the filibuster and eliminate it by any means necessary. He also made sure to put front and center his support for the two big-ticket progressive legislative items, the Green New Deal and Medicare For All. On education, he promised to use the power of the department of Education to protect teachers and schools around the country from Republican attempts to shackle educators.

Senator Merkley began to make frequent visits to Nevada and New Hampshire, placing his bets that an upset victory in one of those two early states would give him the momentum needed to propel himself into the top tier of the field. In Nevada he spent an extensive amount of time meeting with union leaders and emphasizing his vote against stopping the rail strike. He framed this as an argument that he was the only candidate unions could trust, contrasting this with the frontrunners Vice President Harris and Secretary Buttigieg's support of the bill.

He would appoint Congresswoman Andrea Salinas as a national co-chair. He consulted with her frequently in the next few months about reaching Latino voters, especially in Nevada. He also met with local chapters of several LGBT advocacy groups, like Stonewall Democrats. There he emphasized his role as Speaker of the House in Oregon in creating housing and workplace protections for LGBT Oregonians as well as his role in helping elect Kate Brown and Tina Kotek, two of the first queer women to become Governors in America.

In the endorsement game, Senator Merkley knew he would get most of Oregon's elected officials. He relied on his connections in the Senate to attempt to convince several progressive minded senators to convince him or at least remain neutral. He contrasted his combination of electoral success and progressive values with his rivals in the primary. In particular he made an appeal to Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Ed Markey and John Fetterman. He also made an effort to achieve the endorsement of Jay Inslee, by repeating his 2020 call for a climate-focused forum. He hoped the endorsement of the Governor would help him lock down Pacific Northwest support and burnish his climate credentials.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 02:31:27 AM »

JEFF MERKLEY 2024

Wikimedia Commons

Summer of Progress

While he had succeeded in putting his name out there and building the groundwork of a progressive support base, Senator Merkley knew he was still an extreme long shot for the nomination. He had to continue to define himself and break out from the image of another boring old white man backbencher who thinks he deserves to be president. The clearest example of success for this was of course, Bernie Sanders. Merkley began eschewing rhetoric closer and closer to the Vermont Senator.

He continued to focus heavily on Nevada. The state's proximity with his base of operations in Oregon allowed for ease of travel, and his strategy revolved around uniting the several different demographics that made up the coalition, giving Bernie his landslide win in the caucus in 2020. His dual appeal to unions and students was relentless, constantly emphasizing his unwavering support for the right to strike, his persistence in fighting back against Trump's inhumane border policies and his close ties to Bernie Sanders. However, he decided with his advisors that he had to unite these ideas under one vision which would truly generate enthusiasm akin to the Sanders campaigns. At an event at the University of Nevada in Reno, he elaborated on his ideals and vision for the country.

Excerpt from Speech:
What does it mean to be a progressive? Practically every member of our party ascribes the title to themselves in some way today. And of course, practically every one of those members will do whatever they can to stand in the way of the vicious, reactionary, anti-democratic assault on the working people of this country by the Republican Party, as they should. Right now the Democratic Party is the only thing that stands between that agenda and our country.

Bu it's not enough to simply say as politicians that's what we're not. If we constantly define ourselves as the opposition to whatever backwards political ideas we're up against, we leave out the room to build back what we're protecting. We have a healthcare system that only serves the executives which control it, we face a climate crisis that poses an existential threat to our planet, wealth inequality continues to soar, mass incarceration and police violence continues to menace minority communities. When we take this all into account we can see that simply existing to stop the right-wing agenda isn't enough to repair the deep structural inequalities in our country.

So let me be clear right now. If you support tackling this issues, if you want to make America a better place for the 99%, you can call yourself a progressive. But do not attempt to take up that mantle if you craft policy with healthcare executives. Do not take up that mantle if you do not believe there are deep structural issues at the core of our criminal justice system. Do not take up that mantle if you do not believe every single human being has the right to a roof to live under. Being a progressive shouldn't be a title you claim, it should be a title you earn. And that's what I hope to do for you in this campaign.

After his speech, Merkley's campaign began branding his efforts in the summer as the "Summer of Progress", hoping to box himself in as the clear choice for Democratic voters identifying themselves as progressives. By calling into question other candidate's progressive credentials, albeit indirectly, Merkley also hopes to garner media attention and insert himself to the front of the policy conversation during the primary.

The Western Strategy

With the withdrawal of Governor Polis, Senator Merkley was left as the lone non-Californian western candidate in the Democratic field. His campaign hoped to seize on this fact by beginning to expand the campaign infrastructure outside of the early states of Nevada and New Hampshire. While those two were by far the most important for the Senator's chances, he could not afford to perhaps have a strong performance in those states and then immediately be met by unfamiliar ground.

He began by touring several of the smaller western states with primaries scheduled for Super Tuesday or the week after. The included Utah, Washington, Colorado, Idaho and North Dakota. He focused primarily on hitting the larger metros in these areas, with occasional visits to rural events in an attempt to gain an early foothold in these regions. In many of the larger cities, particularly Denver, SLC and Seattle, he met with local housing advocacy groups and discussed the crisis of rising prices.

The relative lack of discussion on housing by other candidates was seen as an opening for the Senator. He frequently discussed how it has affected his home city of Portland and how he will act aggressively as President to combat it. He repeatedly emphasized his Federal Housing Plan,  which would provide hundreds billions for construction and renovation of units to tackle rising costs, homelessness and displacement from climate disasters.

A key component of his strategy would also be courting the Native American vote. In many of these western states, their support could be critical in the primaries. After winning her endorsement, Merkley offered Paulette Jordan a place as a nation co-chair to his campaign. In his barnstorming efforts, the Senator met with Native groups as often as possible and listened to their concerns. He promised to take action as President to provide justice to the thousands of missing and murdered Indigenous women and emphasized his record as Senator, in which he had delivered millions in compensation to state tribes for past injustices.

Broadening the Appeal

While many who knew him and his record has respect for the Senator, this was a small fraction of Bernie's support base. Part of his appeal came from his popularity through the internet. While Jeff Merkley could never hope to make himself an icon in the same way Bernie was, he could attempt to take advantage of the numerous new ways of campaigning that have emerged through the web.

In addition to his regular media appearances, Senator Merkley began appearing with online content creators. He appeared on livestreams on The David Pakman Show and The Majority Report with Sam Seder. His campaign's social media managers were also directed to take a conversational tone with large accounts that posed questions or constructive comments to their posts. The Senator made sure to have his people vet any content creators he appeared with, for risk of tying himself unwittingly to past controversial statements. These steps to maintain an online presence could come across as cringeworthy by some, but if successful it would be well worth it to tap into this base os support.

Merkley also continued to court more endorsements from his colleagues in the meantime. With the withdrawal of Polis, he began to meet with Senator Michael Bennet for a potential endorsement. In his meetings he talked up his plans for education, including a teacher's bill of rights to be implemented through the Department of Education, protecting educators from attack or retaliation by conservative advocacy groups. Senator Merkley also focused on growing his New England support, to help gain the support he needs for an upset in New Hampshire. He continued to meet with Senator Warren, imploring her to at least keep her options open as well as consider the similarities in his policy proposals to those in her 2020 campaign, including a wealth tax, Medicare for All, a federal housing plan, among others. He also met with Freshmen Senator Peter Welch of Vermont, emphasizing their shared progressive values and hoping his support would help steer Bernieworld further in his direction.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 02:28:59 AM »

Jeff Merkley Debate Answers:

1. An Opening Statement

First of all, again a thank you to MSNBC and Drexel for hosting this debate and to you Lester, Rachel, Kristen and Jose for moderating. To everyone watching at home, hello! I'm Senator Jeff Merkley from the great state of Oregon. When I was first elected to the Senate, I took down a twelve year Republican incumbent who had won in a landslide previously. No one told me it was going to be easy, in fact many thought at the beginning I had no chance, but I chose to take a stand to represent the progressive values of the people of Oregon and with a lot of hard work, we pulled it off. Ever since then, I've brought that same mentality to the senate, where I've never backed down from standing up for the working people of this country. I'm an independent leader who's fought like hell against the greed of the pharmaceutical industry, the fossil fuel industry, the gun lobby or any other corporate entity who would seek to hurt the lives of everyday working Americans. And I'm running for president because I believe we need to bring that same energy to the White House.

2. Raise your hand if you support the adoption of a single-payer, "Medicare for All" style healthcare system.

Raises hand.

3. The world is faced with the imminent threat of catastrophic climate change. What is your plan to address this, mitigate the effects, and prevent long term damage to the planet?

Right now we as a species face an existential threat unlike any we've ever faced before. It should be clear to everyone the devastating effect climate disasters are having on our country, I've seen it firsthand myself with terrible wildfires in my home state. The time for talk is over. We need a Green New Deal now. That means massive investment in renewable energy public works projects, a carbon tax, regulating fracking and also addressing the deep-rooted issue of environmental waste-dumping in minority communities. Together we can build a greener, better, more equitable future.

4. What could we expect for the first 100 Days of your presidency?

The first thing I would direct my attention to as President is forming a strategy to eliminate the filibuster in the Senate. The filibuster is a tradition of a by-gone era, it's found nowhere in the constitution and was historically a tool used to block civil rights legislations, it's time for it to go. I have great respect for President Biden, but the failure to eliminate the filibuster has kneecapped his agenda. Now, we don't know what the Senate will look like in 2025, but I can promise that I will make every effort to weaken or eliminate this form of legislative sabotage, using the connections I've made with nearly fifteen years' experience in the Senate. In addition to this, I plan to issue a number of executive orders including expanding student loan debt forgiveness and expanding the refugee cap so we can bring in more endangered people, especially our allies at risk in Afghanistan.

5. Who is the United States's greatest geopolitical adversary?

Currently I see that the answer has to be Russia. Putin's invasion of Ukraine is despicable beyond words and arguably constitutes the actions of a madman. In addition this atrocity, his political suppression at home is reprehensible and we have well documented evidence of his attempts to interfere in our democracy. We cannot allow this to stand and this is why I support continuing to supply Ukraine with heavy weaponry and improving our cybersecurity infrastructure to protect our nation from foreign cyber attacks. If we continue to aggressively isolate their nation, we can stop Putin's delusions of conquest right in their tracks.

Personal Question: You were the only U.S. Senator at the time to endorse Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential election, and you've made some lonely votes at many points in the Senate. Could you elaborate on your independent streak?

Look, I think most Americans can agree the Washington consensus is very often not what works best for working people. I've always been someone who's willing to look at any issue without a partisan lens and see what's going to best deliver for the people we're fighting for. As you mentioned, I was the only senator to endorse Berne in the 2016 election because I realized then that we needed someone who represented a shift from the status quo to defeat the Republicans. Even just a few months ago I stood with only three of my other colleagues against a bill that robbed rail workers of their right to strike even as they only demanded just seven days of paid leave. If we accept the opinion of the majority in Washington as the status quo, we doom ourselves to a politics that serves only the rich and powerful. That's exactly what I'm standing up against in this election.

Response to Whitmer-Gillibrand healthcare debate

I remember when I first ran for governor and Senator Gillibrand publicly endorsed me over my two opponents in the primary who supported Medicare for All. But today, as she has on issues ranging from guns to immigration, she reverses her opinion of me for naked political opportunism.

I-if I could just get in here for one second, I'd like to say that I appreciate that Governor Whitmer is being upfront that she opposes Medicare For All. I disagree with her every step of the way, but at least she's honestly representing her position. But when I hear people like Vice President Harris or Governor Newsom claiming they support Medicare For All while hedging on key aspects of the bill we've fought for in the Senate for years, I just wish they would be upfront about it. We need to completely overhaul the healthcare system in this country and we can't afford to offer any concessions to the very companies that have created this unaffordability crisis in the first place. In fact, I believe it was a Koch brothers study that proved our Medicare For All bill would actually save the American people trillions over a decade. I will fight every day as President for this bill, down to the letter.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 08:30:52 PM »

Statement from Jeff Merkley

Throughout my career, I've been unequivocal about reining in the influence of lobbyists, Super PACs and Wall Street in our political process. For far too long the greed of these corporate entities have undermined the needs of the American people from their elected officials. That's why I co-sponsored the DISCLOSE Act, which would allow us to take a peek under the hood of political campaigns and see where the money is really coming from. In addition, this is why I've long stood for an amendment which would undo the disastrous and constitutionally unsound Supreme Court decision of Citizen's United.

I was pleased to see that Governor Newsom is encouraging all of our fellow candidates to reject corporate influence in their campaigns. I'm right there with him, as I've never taken a cent from a Super PAC in any political campaign. I hope my other competitors will join him, but we must also recognize that holding ourselves to a certain morality is not enough. We have to do something to stop the dark corporate money spending that's run amok in recent years. We have to pass the DISCLOSE Act and we need to work towards implementing my colleague Senator Michael Bennet's Democracy for All Amendment. I call on my fellow candidates to support these measures so that we can restore people's trust in the legitimacy of our politics.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 12:52:31 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2023, 01:03:18 PM by FalterinArc »

Statements from Senator Jeff Merkley

Statement on Family Bill of Rights

I'm proud to stand today in support of Senator Gillibrand's bill to help working families. In recent years, especially after the devastating COVID-19 pandemic, have clearly brought to light the dire need for improvements to our childcare system. This bill will do exactly that and more. In addition, we are the only major country in the world to not guarantee paid parental leave. This is simply unacceptable in 2023 and this bill will finally create a national program to address this.

I also appreciate the effort Senator Gillibrand put into this legislation to be conscious of racial bias in our healthcare system. The maternal mortality rate among black women remains staggeringly high in comparison to white women and it's time we had federal legislation that acknowledged this. Needless to say, I will be enthusiastically voting Yes.

Statement on DISCLOSE Act

This is a piece of legislation I've supported and fought for along with my colleagues for over a decade now. Ever since the disastrous Supreme Court decision in Citizen's United, dark money spending has wholeheartedly infiltrated our elections, with the American people being left i the dark. The DISCLOSE Act will finally shine a light on these groups and let the voters know who really is paying for the campaigns they're seeing.

Additionally, this bill will expand the tools in our arsenal to stand up to foreign influence in our election. Already for the upcoming presidential election, we're hearing reports of unprecedented attempts by dictatorial regimes like the Russians or the Saudis to use their money to advertise for candidates to their liking. This is no joke. This is an assault on our democracy. It's time for us to do something on the defensive.

Statement on Stop the Censorship Act

Look, I've never been quiet about the uncomfortable amount of control big tech now holds in our political process. Nor have I hesitated to call out the monopolies beginning to form from these mega-corporations. I'm happy to collaborate with Senator Hawley on these issues if he wishes to. What I will not support however, is an infringement on the ability of private corporations to remove misinformation.

Especially we've seen increasingly in recent years, the disturbing trend of disinformation about our nation's elections being shared through social media, misleading voters and undermining our democracy. Especially with recent reports of increased foreign influence in our ongoing presidential primaries, curtailing companies ability to fight disinformation and bot accounts is the last thing we should do. This is a needless, ill-considered attempt to interfere in the decisions of private companies and I will be voting No on this bill when it comes to the floor.

Statement on Sanders-Tillis bill

I'm extremely pleased to see the success my friend Senator Sanders has had in reaching across the aisle and providing healthcare solutions for our veterans. As many veterans in my state have attested to me, the state of the VA is frankly not working the way it needs to. We've all heard the horror stories of extreme wait lines and inaccessibility to disability care. It's no way to repay the people who put their lives on the lines to protect our nation.

I'll be proud to cast my vote in favor of this agreement and I'm heartened to see that this measure seems set to receive broad support from both parties. I've always said quality healthcare access shouldn't be up for debate in this country and I'll happily support any legislation that will expand that access to as many Americans as possible, especially our veterans.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 01:19:31 PM »

Merkley for President TV Spot "Traincar"
To be aired in Nevada and New Hampshire

Fade in from black. Narrator cuts in.

NARRATOR: Long before he was a candidate for President, Jeff Merkley's family didn't come from much. His grandmother lived in a traincar during the Great Depression.

Wikimedia Commons

NARRATOR: His father overcame tuberculosis and Potter's Disease to work a good union job in a lumber mill. Jeff learned from him the value of hard work and became the first in his family to graduate from college.

merkley.senate.gov

Ever since he got into politics, Jeff hasn't forgotten his family history. He's fought to build an America where anyone can get ahead, regardless of their background. It's why he passed one of the first bans on LGBT workplace discrimination in the country. It's why he voted for Obamacare and continues to fight for universal coverage for all Americans. And it's why he's been consistently been ranked as one of the progressive and productive members of the Senate. If you elect him to the presidency, he'll never stop fighting for your future.

JEFF MERKLEY: I'm Jeff Merkley, and I approve this message.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 02:05:52 PM »

JEFF MERKLEY 2024

Oregon Live

Laser-Focus on New England:

Senator Merkley now believes his best chance to make a splash in the primary is to have a breakout performance in the key state of New Hampshire. His internal polling suggests he has a real chance to lock down many of the older voters who supported Bernie Sanders in the state in 2016 or 2020. Because of this, Senator Merkley will concentrate his campaigning heavily on the Granite State in coming months. He'll be heavily involved in barnstorming the state and meeting with his operatives in the state to discuss strategy.

The image he seeks to cast in the state is one of similar tenacity to Senator Sanders, but less abrasive. He will heavily emphasize his humble background and progressive values without engaging in heavy attacks on his rival candidates. The Senator will also continue to meet with college students, emphasizing his support for student loan cancellation, tuition free public college and Medicare for All. While Congressman Khanna may have more appeal among younger former Sanders supporters, the simple fact is that younger voters still played a crucial role in Sanders' two victories in the state and the Senator must obtain a strong performance with them to have any hope of a noteworthy result.

The Senator will put his record as a grassroots organizer to good use in the state, hoping that the small size of the state will allow his smaller operation to make a real dent. He will begin airing TV ads in the Fall, introducing the state's voters to him and his background. He will also mobilize an online fundraising push for him to be able to flood the airwaves from here to February. He will meet with local media as frequently as possible, hoping to garner endorsements from local papers. He'll also try to lock down the endorsements of as many state legislators who backed Senator Sanders in 2020 as he can. The state's relatively insulated politics, moreover the lagging Harris and Buttigieg campaigns in the state, just may be the opportunity for Senator Merkley to launch himself into a top-tier contender.

Surrogates:

In addition to his campaigning in New Hampshire, Senator Merkley will also attempt to gain a foothold in the neighbouring states to give him a foothold in more of the Super Tuesday states so his campaign doesn't putter out as one state wonder. With the endorsements of Senators Welch and Markey secured, Senator Merkley will appear alongside them as much as possible when touring their respective states.

In seeking out new endorsements, Senator Merkley will attempt to court more local progressives and elected officials to avoid the perception of his campaign being backed entirely by Washington insiders. In Vermont he will meet with Lieutenant Governor David Zuckerman, Former Senate PPT Tim Ashe and State Senator Kesha Ram Hinsdale, both as an attempt to gain their support, but also hoping to box Vermont progressives further in his corner and encourage Senator Sanders to support his candidacy.

In Boston, as Senator Merkley hammers on his campaign theme of housing and presents his plans as a solution to spiraling inaffordability in the city he will meet with Mayor Michelle Wu and court her endorsement. In addition he will meet with former gubernatorial candidate and State Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz. Senator Sanders' relatively weak margin in Suffolk was one of the major factors that led to his upset in the Bay State's 2020 primary and Senator Merkley hopes not to repeat that mistake by locking down prominent city progressives in his corner. Also hoping to bolster his chances in Massachusetts, Senator Merkley will continue his frequent meetings with Senator Elizabeth Warren, thanking her for her support on the DISCLOSE Act and continuing to emphasize their shared values on many of his key campaign issues.

In Maine, a relatively untouched state in the primary so far, Senator Merkley will attempt to court the endorsement of State Senate Majority Leader Troy Jackson. He will emphasize their similar background in logging communities and their status as occasional maverick Democrats who both backed Senator Sanders in 2016. This along with extensive campaigning among students at several Southern Maine colleges, fuels Senator Merkley's hopes that he can gain a foothold throughout the state and perhaps pull off a clean sweep of New England on Super Tuesday.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 09:07:12 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 08:00:24 PM by FalterinArc »

Jeff Merkley Debate Answers:

1. What is your approach to immigration policy. Do you support increasing the cap for asylum seekers and refugees? Do you support more liberal measures like decriminalizing illegal border crossings into the United States?

Some of you may remember that during the Trump administration, I was noted as one of the strongest voices in the Senate against the draconian measures taken against migrant border crossers. When the senate delegation I led was denied entry into a detention center, it was clear then that the government was afraid of showing the conditions they were detaining people in. Now, does that mean I support open borders? Absolutely not, I agree with my friend Bernie Sanders that that is a Koch Brothers proposal. What we need to do is focus on creating the best human conditions possible for the people we intercept at the Southern border, keep families together and focus on expediting immigration cases so that more people are encouraged to come legally. At home I'll work to codify protections for DREAMERs into federal law and I'll take action to rein in the overreach of ICE against undocumented people who have become integrated in their communities.

2. There has been an uptick of crime, especially in urban areas like New York City and Chicago since the COVID-19 pandemic. What measures will you support to bring crime, theft, and gun violence under control?

No one is denying that this is a growing issue recently. I've heard from business owners across my state that they're increasingly concerned about being the victim of property crime. And despite what Conservative media will tell you, no one on this stage supports setting criminals loose after they've committed violent crimes. But we also have to stop letting Republicans define the terms of this debate and try to undo the progress we've made in creating a fairer criminal justice system. Most of the policies localities have enacted in the name of criminal justice reform have not been proven to have an enhancing effect on crime and they shouldn't be made into a scapegoat. As President I'll reach out to law enforcement experts, community leaders, reform advocates and try to bring people together on common sense solutions to bring down crime. There's sensible steps we can take on a federal level, like getting guns off the street, increasing community policing and refocusing police efforts away from non-violent drug crimes and I intend to do exactly that.

3. What measures would you take as President to protect access to abortion for women in states where state governments have taken measures against abortion rights? What about measures for LGBT people?

The social agenda of the Republican Party is tearing apart the fabric of our nation right now and I plan to combat it aggressively. Firstly, I will take whatever action I can to protect abortion on a federal level. We will fight to codify Roe v. Wade and if Republicans control congress and refuse to take up the bill, we'll support whatever compromise we can make to protect women's health. Too many women are at risk in Republican states for us to remain idle on this issue. In addition, I envision a massive undertaking at the federal level to protect LGBT Americans. I've worked for equality my entire career, it's why I passed some of the first anti-discrimination laws in the country as Speaker of the House in Oregon, why I stood with the It Gets Better project to protect queer youth and why I wrote the Equality Act to finally bring the same civil rights protections to LGBT Americans on a federal level. I won't stop until the Equality Act becomes law and I won't allow Republicans to turn the dial back on our society over 100 years.

4. Are you concerned about Saudi interference in American elections? How do you view our relationship with the Kingdom in general, is it time to re-evaluate what has been a longstanding alliance?

Look, I've been sounding the alarm on Saudi Arabia for a long time. It is unconscionable that the United States continues to so closely align with the repressive, murderous, undemocratic kingdom, purely for economic interests. Let me make this clear, Mohammad Bin Salman is a thug. As are the rest of the Saudi royal family. We should've re-evaluated our relationship with them long ago and I'm glad to see that many of my colleagues have decided that they've gone too far this time with their recent electoral interference. A Merkley administration would immediately institute protections for Saudi exiles living in this country who have been persecuted by the Kingdom, declassify all relevant documents relating to the country's involvement in 9/11, freeze all military support, and if the rumors of electoral interference are fully substantiated, expel their diplomats in a manner similar to President Obama's actions against Russia in 2016. We cannot allow ourselves to roll over for this quote-on-quote ally any longer.

5. Raise your hand if you a gun buyback program, voluntary or mandatory. (You may write one sentence)

Raises hand.

Gun violence is one of the worst epidemics our country currently faces and I would absolutely support a voluntary buyback program.

Response to Vice President Harris

Madam Vice President, if we're going to talk about issues of crime, I think it's important we focus on some of the worst criminals in this country, the ones on Wall Street who created the crisis that caused the 2008 recession. And you, as Attorney General, even after your office had found thousands of violations of foreclosure laws by the bank of future Trump Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, you declined to prosecute the case. Mnuchin would then of course then go on to oversee the financial collapse for working Americans during the pandemic. It's clear that part of the reason our country still hasn't created a truly fair economic structure is because the same crooks who have created every economic catastrophe continue to go unpunished. To truly build a progressive future, we need a President who will never back down agains the greed of Wall Street, the big banks or anyone else.

Personal Question: Would you support the imposition of a Wealth Tax, akin to the ones proposed by Senator Warren and Sanders in 2020? What about a financial transaction tax?

Absolutely I would support a wealth tax. For generations now we've seen the divide between the haves and have-nots in this country grow immensely. Worker productivity is up yet wages have stagnated. Billionaire profits soar during a pandemic while working people are left out to dry. We as a nation need to do something to stand up to the greed of the 1% and make sure they pitch in their fair share. I've supported my colleagues you mentioned's proposal for a tax on ultra-millionaires and as President I would pressure Congress to do something to address our monstrous wealth gap.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 09:14:47 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2023, 10:14:22 PM by FalterinArc »

Jeff Merkley statement on withdrawal of Congressman Khanna

I've just received word that my friend Congressman Ro Khanna will be withdrawing from the race for President. I want to congratulate him on a well-run campaign and I want to thank him for being a progressive voice and bringing many important issues to the forefront of the policy debate. I can say myself I've been inspired by the leadership he's taken in congress, whether it comes to standing up for workers in our evolving economy or advocating for a foreign policy grounded in human rights. I am incredibly grateful to have his endorsement and I can guarantee he will have an important voice in my administration.

Jeff Merkley statement on 11/8 Attacks

I am incredibly saddened by today’s horrific events at the Department of Justice. My condolences are with the families of the victims. While the authorities are still investigating the situation, as congress, have to do our part to make sure something like this never happens again. We have to take action against domestic terror threats like these, which have been enflamed by conspiracy theories about our government and election process. Our country's unity, stability and safety depend on it.

The Final Weeks:

Leading up to the beginning of the first primary balloting, Senator Merkley would completely pull all remaining resources from the South Carolina primary. In an email to his campaign volunteers in the state, he would thank them for their efforts on his behalf but emphasize that the campaign's efforts were entirely focused on the states in which they would be most viable. He made a point of noting specifically that "other great progressive candidates, including Vice President Gore" were much better placed to be successful in the state. While this was going on, Senator Merkley would continue with regular visits to New Hampshire and Nevada. In Nevada he would appear with Congressman Khanna as frequently as possible to attempt to fully tap into his former supporters. He would also invest in digital ads targeted towards Khanna's key demographics (Asian Americans, younger voters) where he would appear side by side with the Congressman.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 11:48:44 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2023, 11:51:46 PM by FalterinArc »

The Ace in the Hole

Wikimedia Commons

For the entire campaign so far, Jeff Merkley still had remained relatively anonymous to most voters. His campaign had made extensive efforts to present himself as the standard-bearer for the progressive movement, but to many, he just appeared to another old white man trying to present himself as ahead of the times. He still couldn't truly claim to be the singular voice of the progressive left. That is, unless the progressive left anointed him their voice. Upon the withdrawal of Congressman Khanna, plans were already set into motion for a consolidation of the forces of the Democratic left. Senator Merkley met with his colleagues and carefully decided how to best go about bringing his campaign to the front of the pack.

They ultimately took a page out of President Biden's book. His rally in 2020 days before Super Tuesday in which he secured the voices of all the prominent moderate figures in the party ended up being the knockout blow he needed to eviscerate the competition. Progressives were now going to give the establishment a taste of their own medicine. The goal was also to completely direct media narratives toward their direction and blunt any favorable coverage for Vice President Harris coming off of her South Carolina win. Shortly after their endorsements went live over Twitter. Senator Merkley made the official announcement of the joint rally.

The Event

The stage was set. An auditorium full of students insulated from the cold New Hampshire winter. Many adorned in Merkley 2024 paraphernalia, but also many others sporting merchandise from Bernie and Warren's previous campaigns. This was a good sign. The entire point of the rally was to launch Merkley into the national conversation and introduce him to uninformed former Sanders/Warren supporters. The rally was promoted heavily by the Merkley, Warren and Sanders social media teams and with digital marketing. They needed a huge audience. The order of events had been carefully practiced, as he prepared to take the stage Senator Merkley thought to himself that this was the point of no return for backing out. He had to be in this to win it. As the traditional campaign walk on-music of "Roll On, Columbia" played through the speakers, he took the cue to run up to the stage.

Thank you, thank you! Thank you New Hampshire! I'm so honored to be with you tonight! New Hampshire- right now, you have the chance to make history. This primary is your voice, your crucial voice in what's in store for the future of this country. Right now we have to ask ourselves, what kind of Democratic party do we want in our future? Do we want a Democratic Party that believes healthcare is a right for every single human being? Do we want a Democratic Party that believes we need to restore the American dream of opportunity for all? Do we want a Democratic Party that recognizes that we have to use very tool available to us to fight the existential threat of climate change?

I know I do and I think most of you do too. We deserve a real chance to vote for change in this election. We deserve a chance to vote against the political establishment. We deserve a chance to vote for a progressive future. New Hampshire, this is your chance! In this election, I'm bringing these values, the values I've always fought for, to the forefront of my campaign. I know we can build a future in which we can truly fulfill the promise of America, a land where every citizen is placed on an equal footing. Where we can finally eradicate the stain of poverty from our country. And where we can have a country that works for the people, not the powerful. But if you won't take it from me, maybe you'll want to hear it from someone else.

Merkley gestures to the ramp leading to the stage as Senator Warren walks on. Chants from the crowd of "Dream Big, Fight Hard" They share a hug and he steps aside from the podium for her.

Thank you! It's great to be back in New Hampshire! Listen, I want to talk to you about the Jeff I know. I've served with Jeff in the Senate for over a decade. I've known him for even longer from my days on the Congressional Oversight Panel. From the moment I met him, I could tell Jeff was somebody who cared deeply about protecting this country's working families. When I got to the Senate, Jeff was one of the first people there to come up to me and say "welcome aboard, let's get to work for the people." When I fought to hold the big banks accountable, Jeff stood with me. When I was fighting tooth and nail against the disastrous federal appointments of the Trump administration, Jeff stood with me. And when my friend Ed Markey and I introduced the Green New Deal, Jeff stood with us. Now I'm asking you to stand with Jeff.

Now, some might say that Jeff is too boring to win. I certainly remember some of the same things being said about me! But let me say that the Jeff I know has never backed down from a cause he believed in. Just because he's not looking to pick a fight on Twitter every week doesn't mean he's not going to pick a fight with the corporations stealing from the American people. Jeff is capable, he knows what he's doing, you might even say... he has a plan for that. Audience laughs and claps But most importantly, Jeff knows that the best way to build a progressive future is to build bridges, not burn them. As the old song says, there is no force weaker on Earth than the feeble power of the one. And on that note, I want to introduce to the stage my friend and colleague, Senator Bernie Sanders!

Bernie triumphantly emerges toward the stage. He enthusiastically waves to the crowd as he steps up to the stage. He first gives Merkley a pound hug before making a point of hugging Senator Warren as well.

New Hampshire! New Hampshire, we made history here eight years ago when we shocked the political establishment with our campaign's landslide victory. I'll never forget the generosity of the people of your state. New Hampshire, when you chose to Feel the Bern in 2016, crowd laughs you put our movement on the map. When I first ran for President, it was declared ridiculous! A socialist? For president of the United States!? they said. But in that primary we showed that there are millions of Americans out there who know that the system just isn't working for them.

Since then, we've been able to bring these concerns to the forefront of the political debate. We now have more members of congress than at any point in several decades, in favor of universal healthcare. We now have a growing movement among young people, demanding radical action to address the climate crisis. We've seen dozens of ordinary people be inspired to run for congress and make a difference for our country. We've done all this thanks to you New Hampshire. Now, we are asking for your help again. If the United States of America is to become a country that's moving forward, where all people are equal under the law, we have to elect Jeff Merkley to the United States Senate.

Jeff has been with me from the beginning. In 2016, he was the only Senator to endorse my presidential campaign. He signed onto Medicare for All from the beginning. He was one of the only Democratic members of the Senate, including Senator Warren as well who stood up for the right to strike for our nation's rail workers. He is someone I have always known I could count on to fight for a progressive future.

New Hampshire, I'm asking you to make history again. We did it in 2016, we did in 2020 and we're going to do it again in 2024. People often ask me if I was disappointed that my campaigns were not successful in obtaining the nomination. And of course the answer is yes, somewhat, I was disappointed that our progressive vision for America wasn't going to be realized in those elections. But I was also comforted by the fact that I knew we had set the wheels in motion so that at some point in the near future, we would have a President of the United States on the side of the people. That's why I'm for Jeff in this campaign. Because Jeff understands it's not about him, it's about us. What I fought for and what Senator Warren fought for in our campaigns isn't dead, far from it. It's alive in all of you and I think we're going to show that to the nation on February 6th!

After continuing taking turns at the podium between the three Senators for another half hour, three cleared the stage to create a clear frame for photographers to put the three candidates side-by-side before being played off by Bernie's 2020 campaign song, "Power to the People" by John Lennon. The message was clear, progressives are back, they're united this time and they're coming for the nomination. In the days ahead, the Merkley campaign would make frequent use of excerpts from the rally through social media.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 03:32:03 PM »

Merkley for President TV Spot "Bernie"

MSNBC

To be aired in New Hampshire, Michigan, Vermont, Massachusetts, Maine, Iowa, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado, Utah and California through to Super Tuesday

Fade in from black to Bernie Sanders standing in front of the camera in his office.

Hello. I'm Senator Bernie Sanders.

When I first ran for President, many of the policies I stood for, like Medicare for All or the Green New Deal were seen as radical proposals. But in the years since, with a global pandemic and ongoing climate disasters, the need for radical change to the system has become clear.

And allow me to tell you Jeff Merkley was there fighting with me from the beginning.

Cut to images of Merkley and Sanders working together in the Senate

He was the only Senator to endorse my campaign and I've worked with him countless times to deliver an agenda for the people. Jeff will always stand with unions Images of headlines covering Merkley's vote in favor of the rail workers., the LGBTQ community Images of headlines noting Merkley's writing of the Equality Act+Passage of anti-discrimination laws in Oregon, immigrants Images of Merkley's visit to detention facilities under Trump or anyone else that the Republican party seeks to marginalize. He's not beholden to any special interests Headlines of DISCLOSE Act passage and always fights for what he believes in. I'm proud to say I'll be supporting him for President and I hope you do too.

February 5-6

In the final days before the New Hampshire primary Senator Merkley hit the trail hard with Bernie. After some convincing, the 82 year old Senator agreed to accompany Merkley on a two-day tour of the state, hitting major stops in Nashua, Manchester, Concord and Keene. The objective was clear, every voter in New Hampshire needed to know that Jeff Merkely was the successor to Bernie Sanders. With the centrist wing of the Democratic Party even more divided than in 2020, Merkley's campaign believed achieving even 75% of Bernie's 2020 vote share could be enough to come out victorious in the primary. Bernie will continue to hammer in the main Merkley campaign themes: federal housing, universal healthcare, green new deal and student debt cancellation. He will also take some time on the night of the 5th to conduct an interview with the Conway Daily Sun hoping to earn their endorsement as Bernie did in 2020.

Meanwhile in Nevada, Senator Merkley has decided to take a step back to focus entirely on winning New Hampshire. With the short amount of time between primaries, a large amount of his vote would be banked in already and it was more important in the long run for his campaign that Vice President Harris be dealt a knockout blow than he perform particularly well. In the final days he would focus all spending on online and tv ads on New Hampshire and withdraw his field volunteers from Nevada. In an email to his Nevada volunteers he would emphasize the importance of the final push in New Hampshire and hint that spending too many resources on Nevada could result in pushing all progressive candidates (with a graphic including Governor Newsom's teetering at 16%) below the 15% delegate threshold line.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 01:35:03 AM »

The Big Victory in New Hampshire

After several straight weeks of hitting the trail hard in New Hampshire, the fruits of Senator Merkley's labor would finally be revealed. Going into the night, most in his campaign felt confident they could pull out a victory. At the risk of sounding over-optimistic, their internal numbers painted a very rosy picture of the campaign's recent success. Of course the fact that they were even talking about a win in a early primary state was staggering when considering the state the Senator's campaign was in when he had announced his campaign, exactly one year prior.

If he were to win, he would owe it all to Bernie and Liz. His campaign felt that they had timed the announcement of their endorsements perfectly, as all the national media coverage of the race for the last two days had centered around their progressive unity rally, with nary a mention of Vice President Harris's relatively underwhelming South Carolina win in the headlines. While the Senator couldn't hope to receive the support of 100% of Sanders and Warren 2020 supporters, the fact of the matter was that he had been endorsed by two candidates who had received a combined 35% in the Granite State four years ago.

As the results aired at his campaign HQ, a range of emotions were palpable. From excitement at the early results, to nail-biting anxiety over the unexpected surge from Vice President Gore, to restlessness at the continued inability of the media to call the race, it was a real rollercoaster for the crowd. But, when the call was made, the room erupted. Senator Merkley himself found the moment almost surreal from his private watch room. He however quickly broke out of it and decided to take the stage soon after, allowing time to answer calls from his fellow candidates looking to concede, along with his wife and Bernie to take advantage of the moment and the energy the crowd was bringing. As he took the stage to a play-on by The Strokes, he enthusiastically embraced his wife and gave Bernie a fist bump before being handed the microphone by Julian Casablancas.

Thank you New Hampshire!

First of all I want to thank all my fellow competitors for their calls. They've all conceded gracefully and I congratulate them and their volunteers on running a competitive campaign here in this state. New Hampshire, you've done it again! With one election cycle after the other your state has shown to the Democratic Party what we need to do for this country. You know we need to dream forward and think big when it comes to policy solutions for America today. You know we can't stand down in the face of taking on Wall Street, Big Pharma or fossil fuel lobbyists. You know we need to take radical action to undo the legacy of so-called trickle-down economics. And you've made your voice heard and shown this to nation right here with this victory tonight.

For a second, let's just think about where this campaign began. When I announced my campaign one year ago today, we were polling at one percent on average nationally. We had very little hope of becoming a top-tier contender. I got out there and said what I believed because I thought the voters of the Democratic Party deserved a real progressive choice in this election. And just by doing that, by making the choice to be genuine, to be bold, to dream forward, we've been able to pull together a coalition of people from all over the country, looking for real change. This victory tonight isn't about me, it's all about all of you.

I also of course want to thank my good friend Senator Bernie Sanders. Without Bernie, none of this would be possible. Not just the victory tonight, but the movement we've built to provide healthcare to all, to save our environment, to restore the American dream, it's all of because of you, my friend. And this movement, this movement, this is the movement that's going to carry this campaign to the Democratic nomination and it's the campaign that's going to smash the Republicans in November. crowd cheers. So onto Georgia! and Michigan! and Super Tuesday! Let's do this! Thank you, thank you, thank you New Hampshire!

Moving Forward:

After the victory in New Hampshire, the campaign knew they had to keep up the momentum in some way. While the outright victory in the state was astounding, it somewhat masked the state of the delegate race. Jeff was still behind every serious candidate in the race and he needed to keep up the image of looking like a viable option if he was going to keep up the momentum as a viable contender for the nomination. Also, he was unsure about risking his friend Senator Sanders health more than he had to and decided with Bernie that they would follow his doctor's advice on how frequently it was safe for him to appear on the trail.

As for the upcoming primary in Georgia, the Senator decided to stay above the fray of the Gore-Kamala feud brewing on the trail there. While he no longer had any interest in playing second fiddle to another candidate and propping them up after Governor Newsom's snubbing of his campaign, he also recognized there was nothing to be gained by making a large push into Georgia and potentially not receiving any delegates anyway, at the expense of giving Vice President Harris a performance strong enough to rebound her back into clear frontrunner status.

Instead, Senator Merkley would have prominent Sanders 2020 backer, Atlanta rapper and staunch progressive Killer Mike record a 30 second YouTube ad targeted toward the city encouraging donations and votes for Senator Merkley. While the Senator had invested very little in campaign infrastructure in the state, the hope was that he could have a respectable enough performance to not have any negative ramifications for his performance in Michigan.

Speaking of Michigan, the night after his win in New Hampshire he would immediately make the flight to the state. The state was priority number one for the next two weeks and he would make this clear to his entire campaign team. He hit the trail hard, hoping to get a head start on other candidates more focused on their efforts in Georgia. His strategy was to make a concerted appeal to the kinds of voters who propelled Bernie to victory in the state in 2020.

To do this, he would barnstorm several post-industrial areas and begin emphasizing his record more heavily on trade, particularly how he voted against Trump's USMCA because of the lack of strong labor or environmental protections and its only minor changes to the devastating effects of NAFTA. He would contrast this with Vice President Gore's championing of the agreement, in an attempt to win over older progressives, potentially more drawn to the former Vice President.

He also would make sure to hit Detroit, focusing on emphasizing his federal housing plan as well as his progressive record more generally. He also had secured two key surrogates from the city, 2018 Gubernatorial candidate Abdul El-Sayed and Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib. Appearing with the two would help strengthen his progressive bonafides in the state, especially as Governor Whitmer seemed to have secured almost all of the state party establishment. El-Sayed in particular would hit on many of the issues he criticized Whitmer for in the 2018 primary, including her friendliness with healthcare executives and her willingness to accept dark money.

In the final days before heading down to Georgia to be able to speak with supporters on election night, the Senator would travel to Flint to announce a special endorsement...

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 06:18:33 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2023, 11:15:09 AM by FalterinArc »

Moving Forward (cont.)

By all accounts the campaign was going well. With the continued narrowing of the field Senator Merkley had continued to present himself as the standard-bearer for the progressive cause. With the endorsements rolling in and more and more small donors flocking to his campaign, the momentum was palpable.

The result in Georgia clearly painted this picture for the campaign. In a state where they had invested little resources and time, Senator Merkley had been able to reach over 10% of the vote and win delegates on a congressional district-wide basis. This was far more than they could have ever hoped for in the state months ago, considering Bernie's crushing defeats in the state in both of his campaigns.

Senator Merkley's quick trip down to Georgia to show solidarity with his volunteers on election night ended in a very celebratory mood. Through a combination of factors, they had been able to prove that the Merkley campaign was picking up steam in every corner of the country. But still, they recognized that the fourth place finish may still not look particularly strong to outside observers, so the momentum had to continue.

Big John:

After racking up endorsements from dozens of big progressive names in the last few months, Senator Merkley hoped to space out some of his more nationally prominent supporters for maximum political gain. With his progressive colleagues in the Senate almost completely united behind him now, there was one name he decided would be vital to roll out before Michigan. Someone who had become a national star in his own right by defying the media narrative and obtaining a solid victory in a swing state.

Five days before the Primary, Senator Merkley announced his colleague Senator Fetterman would be joining him for a campaign event in Monroe. While he hailed from two states over, Fetterman had become the face of Democratic revitalization in the Rust Belt. His five point victory in Pennsylvania while running on a strongly progressive platform had caught many pundits off guard and this was exactly the kind of brand Senator Merkley wanted to tie to himself when running his campaign in the Rust Belt states.

Excerpt from Fetterman's speech:
Hello! Hello!

Thank you Michigan! It's great to be here today! Listen yinz- oh forgot, you won't understand that one up here. Fetterman laughs with crowd But I'm here to talk to you today because, even though I'm just two states over, I think we share a lot of the same concerns in this election. Now before I got to the U.S Senate, I was Mayor of what was called a dying steel town. Just like so many communities here in Michigan, we had been left behind by the politicians in Washington.

I got into politics because I wanted to turn things around for my city and with a lot of work, we were able to bring people together and revitalize our local economy. Now, what happened then was that we had the same politicians who created these problems for us come down to our communities like ours and use them as props to get elected. And then continue to do nothing to deliver for us. It's a disgrace!

But I want to tell you today that Jeff Merkley will never see you as a prop. Ever since I met him, I've known Senator Merkley to be someone who fights against the complacency in Washington, whether that be on fighting unfair trade deals, tackling the opioids epidemic or standing up for the union way of life. Jeff has been our guy every step of the way.

And for those who might call him unelectable, I want to remind folks how I was left for dead by many of the pundits. I was told that I had no chance because I had a stroke. I was told my policies were too radical to win in a swing state. But we sure proved them wrong on election day. And Jeff knows how to do the same thing in this election.

Strategy on the Trail:

Senator Merkley would continue to barnstorm Michigan vigorously. A breakout performance in the state, especially rising above third place would be what was needed to shut down any narrative of a Harris-Gore horserace. In contrast with their increasingly nasty feud, Senator Merkley would continue to take the high road and focus on his own accomplishments as much, and his opponents negatives as little as possible.

Senator Fetterman would join him on the trail for a few days continuing his tour of post-industrial areas that propelled Bernie to victory in 2016 and continue to emphasize his pro-worker record, especially his vote against ending the rail strike and his vote against USMCA. He would also continue to heavily emphasize the Bernie endorsement, even if Senator Sanders could not join him on the trail in the days ahead. The campaign would invest a significant amount of funds into mailers and internet ads prominently featuring Merkley and Bernie side by side.

His other surrogates in Michigan (Rashida Tlaib, Abdul El-Sayed, Michael Moore) would continue to hit their respective areas of the state in an attempt to canvas as much ground as possible. He would let his surrogates go a little more negative than he personally was willing to, with Moore in particular comparing his pro-civil liberties record against Kamala Harris's DA record and Vice President Gore's past social conservatism. He would also speak heavily of Senator Merkley's efforts on water conservation and how legislation authored by him came to the aid of Flint during the water crisis.

Outside of Michigan the Merkley campaign would also be prepping for a Super Tuesday battle with surrogates and volunteers being put into overdrive. Senator Merkley planned out his post Michigan schedule carefully to emphasize the most important state targets. Some like California and Texas he had no hope of winning, but were essential that obtain delegate viability to remain contentious, therefore mandating a visit. Others were states where the Senator had a strong chance of coming on top in the contest.

Schedule:

2/28: Los Angeles, CA
2/29: San Diego, CA
3/1: Salt Lake City, UT
3/2: Denver, CO
3/3: Austin, Texas
3/4: Boston, MA
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 09:26:47 PM »

Tipping Points:

Michigan Election Night Reaction:

As the results from Michigan came in, Senator Merkley's campaign team was mildly pleased. 18% was a strong results and always omnipresent in staff discussions was the fact that Senator Merkley was barely cracking 1% in national polls a year ago. But still, there was some disappointment considering the Senator had sunk the entire week's appearances into the state and still only managed to outperform his polling by a few points. While few actually expected it, they hadn't achieved a Sanders 2016 level lightning result.

Still, there was a lot of reason to look optimistic. Governor Whitmer had dominated the competition at the debates and was always going to perform strongly in a state where she enjoyed so much institutional support. And by passing Adams in delegates, they had helped to push back on ay narrative that the Senator was a one-state wonder. As Senator Merkley took the stage, strategy discussions for Super Tuesday continued.

Wow, thank you folks! Thanks you all!

Listen folks, we've achieved a great result here in Michigan tonight! First of all I want to commend Governor Whitmer on her win, I just spoke with her on the phone a few moments ago and congratulated her and her campaign's efforts in the state. She clearly loves Michigan and clearly Michigan loves her back. But I also don't want us to lose sight of what we've achieved here today. We've outperformed our polling and more than doubled our delegate count. Together we've shown this campaign is a viable force everywhere in the country. Every town, county, state, region, no matter what, we're going to get out there and present our message to the American people.

Make no mistake- we are in this race. And we are heading into Super Tuesday strong. So if you want a progressive voice in this election, someone who isn't beholden to special interests, someone who will fight to overhaul our economic system for working people, stick around, keep voting and dream forward! Thank you to all of my supporters here in Michigan, I am unspeakably grateful and now onto Super Tuesday!

Priority #1: Latino Voters

As the Merkley campaign kicked into overdrive ahead of the massive contest coming up on Tuesday, they felt they needed to lock down support in the west. While initially heavily concentrating his campaign efforts there, in recent months Senator Merkley had been more pre-occupied with the contests in New Hampshire and Michigan. But at the end of the day, he had to remember that the areas where Bernie Sanders held up best in 2020 were indeed in the west. The melting pot of Indigenous People, college students, tech workers and importantly, Latinos were key to achieving a strong result in these states.

The campaign staff almost universally agreed that they would have to aggressively target Latino voters in the week ahead. While Newsom had shown some strength among Latinos, it was very possible that many of his former supporters in the community would prefer Merkley to either of the former Vice Presidents. The campaign immediately got to work on implementing a strategy in the next week that could really run up the score with their community.

Immediately Senator Merkley would sit down on a conference call with his campaign co-chair Andrea Salinas (herself the daughter of Mexican immigrants) and former Sanders advisor/author of Tio Bernie Chuck Rocha on the best way forward in the weeks ahead. Several points were agreed on, including an endorsement surge, emphasizing Senator Merkley's history of fighting against the Trump administration's immigration policies, his support for Medicare For All (consistently polling as Latino voters highest issue) and hitting Spanish language media markets hard. They also agreed Merkley's lagging Texas poll numbers had to be reversed immediately. Senator Merkley accordingly cancelled his appearance in Salt Lake City, believing Bernie's strongest 2020 win outside of Vermont would be the place he could most afford to cut back on personal appearances. Rocha would immediately get his contacts in Texas into gear to ramp up the Latino canvassing effort in Texas while Senator Merkley headed to California for an event in which he unveiled a very special endorsement.

Alexandria:

A few hours before his arrival on the ground at LAX, Senator Merkley's campaign announced for his rally in Los Angeles he would be accompanied by a certain congresswoman. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez had proven herself for years now as a consistent voice for young people, Latinos, progressives and anyone outside of the establishment within the Democratic Party. Her trailbazing victory in 2018 was a huge part of what set the progressive movement now fully behind Merkley 2024 in motion.

Her endorsement was exactly what Jeff needed-a young, confident, Latina progressive fully ready to get behind Jeff Merkley. Her endorsement had been extremely advantageous to Bernie in 2020 in helping him ward off the image of "tired old white man" and Senator Merkley hoped she could do exactly the same with him. At the outdoor event, her reception onstage was massive, the rally was the largest Senator Merkley had conducted yet and they made you feel it.

Hello Los Angeles!

It's so great to be back in your city where four years ago I rallied with my friend, mi tio, Bernie Sanders! During that campaign I was so overjoyed to see the outpouring of support from all corners of the Democratic Party for the progressive vision we were offering. I recognized it as the same groundswell of support I received when I challenged a ten term congressman who had left behind the people he represented and won. And although we didn't quite achieve victory that year, progress is a process and since then we've seen so many people be inspired to follow in our footsteps and run on bold, progressive platforms.

And if we are going to continue that movement, we need to elect Jeff Merkley in this primary. He's stood with me and Bernie and all our fellow progressives on more occasions than I can count. Whether it's fighting for the dignity for every single human being to have healthcare, to standing up for undocumented Americans or fighting for a Green New Deal to save our planet, Jeff has always been there fighting with us. He's not a puppet of the establishment, he's only beholden to you.

This primary is the moment where we can make a decision about the future we want for the Democratic Party. Jeff Merkley is the choice for anyone who wants the party to look ahead, to think about our future, the planet's future. And for any concerns about electability, and look I know I'm tired of hearing this complaint, but let me just say, you will not see in any other campaign in this primary the level of enthusiasm for their candidate's platforms and policies. And if you're running and not willing to tackle the issues that concern most voters, that aren't going to generate enthusiasm or turnout, or hope, then there's no room for you to decide which Democrats are and aren't electable.

After the event, AOC would remain with Senator Merkley in California for the next two days as he hit important stops between Los Angeles and San Diego. He didn't have any hope of winning the state, but he could not afford an underwhelming performance with how delegate rich it is. After his tour of SoCal concluded, he would make an appearance in Denver the following day to shore up support in a state whose establishment seemed to be moving toward Whitmer before heading down south to Texas, where he would be making his big push.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 11:25:32 PM »

Lone Star Progressive

After arriving on the ground in Austin, Senator Merkley would be greeted by a delegation led by Chuck Rocha. He had procured everything in his power for Jeff Merkley to make a major push here in the final days before the primary in the state and Jeff wanted him front and center for all of it. Rocha ensured that reporters would be recording his greeting to Senator Merkley as he left the airport in which Rocha, fully outfitted in his traditional cowboy outfit, would exclaim "Bienvenidos, welcome to Texas!" and hand Senator Merkley a cowboy hat for him to wear during his time in the state. Image was key and camping up the state's culture would go a long way to making Jeff look like a relatable affable guy.

His first rally in the state, at the University of Texas would be a powerhouse for his efforts. Austin in a lot of ways embodied the core demographic for Merkley's campaign. It had been a famous progressive bastion in the state for decades and was reputable for its alternative culture. Its high concentration of students and artsy types would be a major boon to the Senator. But it also represented a city in which many were concerned about corporate America infringing on local culture, with more and more tech workers eating up the local economy and rising homelessness. The Senator believed his message of housing and 21st Century progressivism was the perfect blend for the city.

He had obtained the endorsement of Austin Congressman Greg Casar, a noted progressive. He would join Merkley throughout the day for canvassing in East Austin before heading central to the rally at UT. The campaign had secured two very special guests to headline the event, legendary Texas musician Willie Nelson and Chicago Mayor Chuy Garcia. Garcia had announced his support for Merkley's campaign the previous night and had flown down to Texas to join him at this crucial event. As one of the first Mexican-born mayors of a major American city, the campaign hoped that he could speak to the many Mexican-Americans in the state about Merkley's commitment to their community.

Of course, Willie Nelson's appeal in the state hardly even needed to be stated. The 90 year old musician's support for Democratic candidates was believed to have made an impact in past elections and he was more than happy to perform at the Senator's rally.

After finishing his performance of "On the Road Again", Willie introduced to the stage Congressman Casar. After Casar's speech, Mayor Garcia appeared onstage before introducing Senator Merkley himself.

Thank you! Thank you!

Let's hear it for Willie Nelson everyone! Alright! How are we doing Austin? Hahaha. My name is Greg Casar, and I'm probably some of the people here's tonight congressman. In my time in Congress, I've fought constantly for Texas values. Not the values that political pundits and Republicans try to ascribe to this great state, but the values of reward for hard work, of protecting individual liberty for every citizen and of building our communities up, not breaking them down. I know so many people here in this city and this state are tired of people telling us what we are, what we should do, persecuting immigrants and LGBT folks and women's bodies and any other enemy that they come up with.

Well Jeff Merkley is here today because he sees Texas as more than this. He knows we have so many people here who know that to fight back against backwards Republican policies, we need to be bold. We can't afford to argue on their terms when it comes to healthcare or the climate crisis or any other issue. And that's why we're going to vote for Jeff on Tuesday.

Hola Texas!

My name is Chuy Garcia and I'm grateful for the welcome your state and your city have given me. Up in Chicago where I'm Mayor, we see a lot of the same issues that you are experiencing here in Austin. Rising homelessness and housing costs have threatened to make our cities unlivable for the vast majority of people. As Mayor I've made extensive efforts to turn this issue around by investing in our public housing and pursuing smart policies to take care of the homeless safely and humanely. We've seen real results and that's why I want to tell you we need Jeff Merkley as President. His housing bill is sorely needed to tackle this issue from the national level and give our cities the resources we need to remain safe and livable.

But I also want to talk to you tonight as not just a mayor, but also as a Mexican immigrant. When I was a boy my family was granted access to the United States through the Bracero Program, part of the Mexican labor agreement originally secured by President Roosevelt. This was in the days when government was willing to think big and make bold changes to help our economy. It was also when the Government understood sensible ways to reform immigration and allow people to share in the prosperity of this great nation.

Unfortunately, we just don't see this anymore, with Republicans continually shutting the doors to all immigrants. Demeaning them and using a political props in acts of unthinkable cruelty. It's time we elect someone who understands this issue. Jeff Merkley will end the thuggish crackdowns of ICE on our communities and he'll protect DREAMers to the last stand. We've had a lot of false promises from Washington, but I believe in Jeff and I'm hoping you can too.

Wow, thank you Austin!

Thank you all for being here tonight, that includes Congressman Casar, Mayor Garcia and of course, Mr. Willie Nelson. Let's hear it for them! applause Texas, I know many of you feel neglected. You're tired of being written off as a red state, a right wing state. Too many Democrats are prepared to triage our efforts here in the name of other ventures. But I believe in Texas. I see the enthusiasm here tonight and all over this state, there are so many people fighting for change, for a better future and we're going to make it happen.

I want to build an America in which every worker can succeed, whether you're in art or tech or service or manufacturing, you'll all have a place in our economy. And that's a place in which you are ensured basic human dignities; free medical care, affordable housing, reasonable wages. Our movement right now is moving full steam ahead right now and if we keep this momentum, we can take it to the White House. That's what you have the opportunity to do right now Texas.

After the rally, Senator Merkley would spend the next day in San Antonio canvassing more Hispanic communities. He would also meet with former Congressional Candidate Jessica Cisneros and announce her endorsement for his campaign. After an entire day of covering the city, The Senator would depart Texas and head north for a rally in Boston headlined by prominent endorsers like Senators Warren and Markey, Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley and Mayor Michelle Wu. He had done practically everything he could in the Southwest, he now needed to lock down the bay state and prevent the upset Sanders 2020 loss in the state from repeating itself.

Surrogates:

With his inability to hit every state, Senator Merkley would rely heavily on his surrogates to keep his campaign present across Super Tuesday states. His most endorsement-rich states-Vermont and Massachusetts, would be met with campaigning from both of their Senate delegations in addition to some more popular local politicians like Representatives Balint and Pressley and Mayor Wu

Ilhan Omar would make some appearances for the Senator in Minneapolis, emphasizing his support for her in face of racist Republican attacks, Keith Ellison would also tag along. Former Utah gubernatorial candidate Chris Peterson would speak at some Merkley events in Utah to attach a known name. Troy Jackson would also make a heavy effort in Maine, especially in the northern areas near his district where Bernie underperformed in 2020.

Nationwide he would rely on AOC to get the word out through social media, making frequent use of her popular Twitter and Instagram accounts to emphasize the importance of voting for Senator Merkley on Tuesday.

Campaign Ad: "Relentless"
To be aired in all Super Tuesday States, in English and Spanish in CA, UT, CO and TX

Images and footage of actions described, Trump and Stephen Miller in press conferences

NARRATOR: When the Trump administration separated families at the border, tried to ban immigrants based on their religion and started brutal crackdowns against migrant communities things looked dark.

Footage of Jeff Merkley at Southern Border interlaid with headlines

NARRATOR: But Jeff Merkley never backed down. He went to Trump's detention facilities and shown a light on the appalling conditions. He lead the charge to introduce legislation to protect children and prevent raids on schools and churches. Because when Jeff Merkley fights for something, he'll be relentless until he gets it. And he'll do the same thing as President.

Merkley: I'm Jeff Merkley and I approve this message.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 10:25:25 PM »

Jeff Merkley Debate Answers

1. Due to provocations against Taiwan by the People's Republic of China, President Biden has deployed a Carrier Strike Group to American base Yokosuka and American patrols routinely approach Taiwan as a defensive measure. President Biden has also said there would be "extreme consequences" for any attack on Taiwan. Do you support President Biden's actions in this area and would you support a military response in the event of an attack?

I absolutely support what President Biden has done so far to prepare for a potential attack on Taiwan. Look, this is a very volatile situation and if we give China the impression that we're not ready to make them face some consequences for an illegal, inexcusable invasion of a sovereign nation, we could be compromising Taiwanese safety. At the same time, we need to be making every effort to mediate the conflict and prevent war from breaking out. I've been monitoring the situation closely with the intelligence I've received in the Senate and we'll be able to say more confidently in the days ahead where these military actions are headed, but for now we must continue to aid in the Taiwanese defense.

2. Do you support President Biden's partial student loan debt cancellation? Would you push for more broad action in this area as President? How would you deal with the challenge of a Supreme Court hostile to debt cancellation?

I've been outspoken on this issue for a long time. I was supportive of what President Biden did and I'm glad he addressed the issue, but his proposal simply wasn't large enough. Ten thousand dollars is not enough to alleviate the crushing weight that student loan debt, caused by skyrocketing tuition, on the people of this country. So I'm prepared on day one in office to issue an executive order cancelling all student loan debt. Now with regard to the Supreme Court challenge, this is another example of right-wing judicial activism as the Higher Education Act clearly gives the President the power to cancel these debts. We're going to fix this by reforming the Supreme Court and appointing judges who recognize this.

3. Homelessness has been rising in America, and this is no less true in big cities such as Chicago. What would you do to bring homelessness, and rising housing costs in general, under control?

Rising homelessness is perhaps one of the most ignored and misunderstood crises in America today. For too long politicians have enacted policies to counter homelessness that center on punishment for poverty. My housing plan envisions a joint effort between federal, state and local governments to build millions of new mixed income housing units across the country. The evidence shows that when we build more housing, prices come down and so we're going to center that in every part of our housing policy. My plan will give people stuck on the streets opportunities to become housed and will alleviate the burden of rising rents we've seen in so many of our cities.

4. America continues to be vexed by the challenge of failing public schools, the effects of COVID-19 shutdown have made these issues even worse, with massive gaps appearing among the youth and catastrophic shortfalls in reading, math, and other areas. As President, what solutions would you push for in the area of public education?

There's so much we need to do to improve public education in this country. Our schools are the backbone of a healthy society and we need to give them the respect they deserve. One of the first things we need to is stop giving billions in subsidies to charter schools that drain away our education budget. We've seen large amounts of taxpayer money be squandered on lackluster education at unregulated charter schools and with all the struggles our public schools face, it's time for these schools to go. We also need to work with state governments to undo the harmful practices of tying our public school funding to property taxes, keeping wealth centered in wealthy areas. Instead, we can use this money to make a sweeping investment in underfunded schools across the country.

5. Raise your hand if you support continued monetary and weapons aide to Ukraine, as the war now enters its third year.

Raises Hand. We need to continue to do everything we can to resist the Russian invasion and I've consistently supported additional funding in the Senate.

Personal Question: Would you support a reduction in federal defense spending at this time, despite war in Europe and potential conflict in Asia?

What I've always said is that I support reducing federal defense spending because of the enormity of unneeded expenditures. The F-35 program in which the military spend trillions on a fighter that functionally cannot operate in the way it was intended was one of the worst examples of this. We've also seen numerous cases of military aid being provided to countries notorious for human rights abuses, most notably Saudi Arabia. So in this area, we need Congress to get a bit more skeptical of some of the demands made for additional discretionary spending in our budget. That being said, we should not place a strain on our military to the level that it can't confront the assaults on democracy we face worldwide and that's why I've consistently supported providing aid to Ukraine, Taiwan or any other country that stands at conflict with authoritarian world powers.

Rebuttal:

Gore: I’m sorry Vice President Harris but that’s just a different story than what you’ve told us about the case in the past. You have said that the facts and evidence led you not to charge this despite all of its misconduct. Which is it, the Supreme Court or the facts? And when the buck stops with you at the Oval Office are you going to be willing to stand up to corporate America or will you leave it to someone else?

Merkley: If I could just get in here as well David. I completely agree that the Vice President needs to give a better answer to the American people on this. The facts of that matter remain that despite uncovering hundreds of foreclosure violations, the Vice President did not pursue a case against CEO Steve Mnuchin, when she could have even done so independently of the bank itself. Now I can't speak to everything that was going on in her office at the time, but her defense of saying she was unable to go after the banks falls flat when we consider that other state AGs successfully pursued similar cases in which they forced these banks to reach a settlement.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 10:45:29 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2023, 01:21:11 PM by FalterinArc »

Jeff Merkley Super 2-sday Strategy

Coming off some big wins on Super Tuesday, Senator Merkley's campaign was positively optimistic about going forward. They had been able to keep themselves viable in the national delegate race and had been able to replicate most of Senator Sanders state wins from 2020, with the addition of winning Massachusetts. Now looking ahead to the next contests, Senator Merkley faced a fairly favorable map. His campaign believed he was a favorite to win in North Dakota, Idaho, Washington and Hawaii if they properly invested and so his strategy would be centered around these four states.

The night after his Super Tuesday celebration in Boston, the Senator would head straight to Fargo. There, he would make a tour of the city, meeting local small business owners and speaking to voters directly at a town hall. The next day he would head west to meet with Senate Minority Leader Troy Heinert for a rally at the Standing Rock reservation in which Senator Merkley would take the opportunity to hear again directly from indigenous leaders and stress his opposition to the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

On Friday his campaign would head to Idaho in which he would meet again with early endorser Paulette Jordan at a rally in Boise. He would hit hard in this central population area, hoping to run up the margins and prevent a repeat of Bernie's upset 2020 loss in the state. After two days in the state he would again head west to Washington.

Washington would be the crucial test in these primaries, with Merkley needing to stretch his PNW appeal as far as possible. Immediately he would begin by hitting the City of Seattle again, along with key endorsers like Governor Inslee, Congresswoman Jayapal as well as city progressives like Councilwomen Morales and Mosqueda. There he would emphasize his plans for affordable housing, highlighting the spiraling costs in the city. He would also meet with key Seattle progressive papers like The Stranger and The Urbanist to lock down city supporty . Senator Merkley would then spend the following days canvassing Washington more broadly, with key rallies at WWU and Evergreen State College, emphasizing youth turnout.

On social media and on television the Senator's media campaign would primarily consist of heavy blanketing of the Bernie endorsement ad, continuing to get the word out there of the continuity of their campaigns to people unaware. While Hawaii was too far and too costly for a physical appearance, he would spend heavily on ads in the state to counter this. While his campaign would mostly ignore the other two states, Congresswoman Cori Bush would make an appearance in her district speaking in favor of the Senator's campaign. He would also feature the endorsements of Mayor Adams, Senator Gillibrand and Congressman Khanna in online pop-up ads, emphasizing party unity and his mainstream Democratic values.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies