What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:06:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED)  (Read 17787 times)
RGM2609
« on: December 12, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »

Gavin Newsom - For a Brighter Future

Following Biden's retirement, Gavin Newsom will announce in February the formation of an exploratory committee as well as the publishing of "Changing destinies: California's journey", a tell-all book detailing Newsom's tenure as mayor of San Francisco, as well as Lt. Governor and Governor, with an especially high focus on the push behind-the-scenes for progressive achievements. The last paragraph of the book reads as follows: "While not perfect by any means, California has changed for the better. The state which once elected Ronald Reagan as its Governor is now a beacon of progressivism, a place of hope and optimism. And if California could do it, America too can step up and dare to dream of a brighter future."
The book-signing tour will take place mostly in the early states, and Newsom will also take questions from the voters. He will introduce himself as a progressive fighter and especially focus on inspiring hope for a better, more liberal future, similarly to Obama's 2008 campaign.

Behind the scenes, Newsom will attempt to recruit as many people who worked on the Obama campaigns as possible while still keeping a place for his inner circle in California. He will appeal to donors and activists as an unifying force in the party, who can bring all the factions behind him and deny Harris the nomination. The announcment has been schedueled for the end of April.
RGM2609
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 02:41:57 AM »

Gavin Newsom calls for additonal environmental, health-care action

While still busy touring the early states, Newsom returned to Sacramento in order to hold a press conference in which he called for additional investments in the environment. According to Governor Newsom, while California's environmental actions are of great scope, making the state the greenest in the Union, more must be done to defeat the crisis of global warming, which is why the Governor's office proposes an additional 10 billion dollars for phasing out oil, reducing carbon emissions and investing in renewable energy sources.

He also proposed a resolution declaring once more that health care is a human right in the state of California and promised that in the coming months he will come forward with a plan to grant universal access to health care "in the full sense of the word". Newsom will attempt to promote these efforts in his appearances in the national media and in the early states.
RGM2609
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 02:57:25 AM »

Gavin Newsom condemns occupation of Apache Lake

In one of his appearances on CNN, Gavin Newsom has condemned the occupation of Apache Lake in Arizona, saying that it is beyond clear that violent groups like the Oath Keepers are involved and using lies about the election to recruit more adherents. Newsom had harsh words for what he calls "Republican grifters" and the right wing propaganda for exploiting and lying to some citizens rightfully angry about economical conditions and alienated from Washington.
RGM2609
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 10:21:09 AM »

Gavin Newsom @gavinnewsom

While Kari Lake is a fraud and shouldn't be running for dog catcher, much less the Presidency, it is worth remembering that Pence was Trump's favorite bootlicker for 4 years, 4 years of lies, corruption, endless scandals and division, until it stopped being useful to his political career. America deserves better.
RGM2609
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 03:25:37 AM »

Gavin Newsom: For a Brighter Future

While Gavin Newsom's slogan and campaign theme have already been decided, the electoral strategy was still up for debate. It has been decided that while none of the early states should be neglected, the best chances of defeating Harris come from New Hampshire and Nevada, which is why the Newsom canpaign will focus on getting staff and court the endorsements of Democratic Senators and Representatives in these states. That strategy will change to include Michigan should Governor Whitmer not make it to the February primaries.

The announcement will occur on April 19th in Reno, Nevada, in order to both score points in the early state and so that some people in California who wish to attend can get there easier. The campaign is so far doubling down on Newsom running as a hopeful warrior for liberal ideas, and there will be a quiet gauging of support among California Democratic elected officials as opposed to Vice President Harris, who is also from the state.
RGM2609
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »

While Gavin Newsom has decided that the team which managed his gubernatorial campaigns will feature proeminently in the new organisation, and Newsom will attempt to get as much talent from the California Democrats as possible, recruiting key people from the 2 Obama campaigns and the Biden campaign will also be attempted. Newsom will also try to contact Former President Barack Obama for a conversation in order to get advice from him on the upcoming race, similarly to what many 2020 contenders did.

Immediately after the announcement, Newsom will book an interview with Jake Tapper on CNN and he will also attempt to make an appearance on Fox News in an town hall setting similarly to what Sanders did in 2020. In both of these as well as any other media appearances, Newsom will portray himself as an unabashed liberal, willing to fight for what he believes in and not afraid to defend his principles even in the face of opposition.
RGM2609
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 03:10:34 AM »

Gavin Newsom @gavinnewsom

Even after receiving the message that was soundly delivered by the American people in the Midterms, GOP governors across the country continue to try to restrict the woman's right to choose. If they win in 2024, they'll try to impose these restrictions nationwide! #NotOnOurWatch
RGM2609
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 04:54:18 PM »

Hello Reno!

It's great to be back here in Nevada! A state which represents the diversity, the dynamism, the tolerance which characterizes America. Thank you all so much for being here today with me, as I have a very special announcement to make.

During the last years, we have witnessed the Republicans in Congress and at the state-level wage a war against the fundemental values of America. An awful collection of election-denying, Trump-bootlicking grifters and would-be lobbyists fighting against, for example, food stamps for the poorest Americans in order to cut the taxes of their donors by even more. They passed restrictions against a woman's right to choose, in some cases even in the case of rape and incest, turning a blind eye to the pain and the anger they were causing in society. They nominated kooks, grifters, insurrectionists and violent criminals! And just last year, a certain Governor cruelly lied to migrants and shipped them off thousands of miles away for a political stunt! This is not who we are as Americans!

We have a better vision for our country. A country with affordable, accessible healthcare, a country with the guts to truly fight against climate change, a country which is tolerant and open to immigrants, a country with a strong economy which also doesn't leave the less fortunate behind, a country which takes on systemic racism and provides equal opportunities regardless of sex, race, gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation. A country where everyone would feel safe, respected and with the opportunity to achieve his or her dream. This is what we are fighting for. A brighter future. And make no mistake, it is within our power to build it.

Just take a look at California. The state which once elected Ronald Reagan. The state which as soon as 2010 had a Republican governor. We are shifting to green energy faster than almost anywhere else in the world, we are the first in the Union on gun safety, we are welcoming immigrants, not putting them in cages or shipping them off, we are developing a strong economy with unprecedented opportunities. We are protecting the right to choose, developing universal access to healthcare. We are ensuring the right to vote to all.

This is the future I want for America. And I am willing to fight for it, just like I did as Governor. And I ask you to join me as I am proud to announce that I am running for the Presidency of the United States! The promise of a brighter future is within our power, within our grasp! And we won't leave the job half-done.

Thank you, God Bless you, and God Bless the United States of America!
RGM2609
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 07:46:39 PM »

As previously announced, Gavin Newsom has decided to go on Fox News for a town hall and managed to be booked by the network. Here are some highlights:

Question: One of the biggest controversies of your political career has surrounded your dinner at the exclusive French Riviera restaurant in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, violating your own policies. What do you have to say to Americans who are reluctant to vote for you due to this incident?
Newsom: Look, I have admitted to this in front of the people of my state and I am ready to do this in front of the nation as well: I made a mistake when I went to that dinner. It was an inconsiderate and inappropriate gesture given the context, and I understand why some people were angry at me. I was angry at myself too. But real leadership doesn't mean not making mistakes, it means admitting to them and learning from them. And I won't promise I will be a President who never makes mistakes, but I will promise that I will be honest with you and each day I will be a better leader than I was the day before. However, we ought not to let this one error distract from the larger picture, which is a record of accomplishment. During COVID we followed the science, and thus we had one of the lowest death rates in the nation, over 150 million tests and a very high vaccination rate, all the while protecting our economy, which held stronger than in other states with lax restrictions. I believe that we did the right thing during pandemic, we had the right approach, and when Republicans tried to recall me in large part over this dinner, I could look every Californian in the eye and say: "Yes, I made a mistake that day, but what about every other day?" And the recall was defeated in a landslide.

Question: There have been a lot of concerns about your economic record, given that more Californians are leaving the state than moving in, in large part due to the high taxes and high cost of living. How do you address those concerns?
Newsom: I wonder who exactly stoked these concerns. I wonder, I wonder. Look, I am actually extremely proud of my economic record. In 2021, California had the highest GDP growth in the nation and our economy held up its own during the pandemic despite the public health restrictions. And we did all that while providing quality public services for the people in the state and keeping a strong budgetary surplus. Furthermore, looking at average income, or at GDP-per-capita, California is in the top 10 together with other states governed by Democrats. Do you think it is a coincidence that out of the 10 states with the lowest average income, 8 are governed by Republicans? The Democrats have a record of success on the statewide level that the GOP is trying to distract from with this demonizing of California. Did you know, for example, that unless you are in the top 1%, you would pay more tax in Texas than in California? I am not saying that everything is shiny and bright, we have work to do on the cost of living situation, where things I think will improve  given the measures we've taken and the nationwide reduction of inflation. But overall, California is a story of success against Republican failures with taxes higher than they say, sluggish economy and ineffective public services.

Question: If you are elected President, how would you deal with inflation and the cost-of-living crisis?
Newsom: Look, I think the Biden Administration and the Federal Reserve have finally managed to stop inflation from rising and I believe we will see a continued lowering over the next years. But even so, the cost-of-living crisis will remain an issue for millions of Americans. Which is why as President, I will first of all take action to reintroduce the child tax credit, a wildly successful policy which cut child poverty by unprecedented numbers and has thus already proven its effectiveness. Furthermore, we can further reduce healthcare costs by allowing Medicare to negotiate all drug prices and, very importantly, introducing a public option on the market. We must also bring down the costs of childcare and education. I want to, as we have done in California, create a truly universally accessible childcare system. We must also speed up the transition to clean and renewable forms of energy, which will both help our environment and be cheaper compared to the skyrocketing prices we currently register. Compare that to the Republicans, who have no plan to fight inflation, and are just content that it's not actually them having to deal with it. America can do better.

Question: How has your time as Governor prepared you for the Presidency?
Newsom: I believe that no one can be 100% prepared to be President before they end up being President. But I think that being Governor of California, the largest state in the Union, is about the best experience someone can have. I know what it feels like to have that weight of responsibility on your shoulders, to have to take tough decisions. I was Governor when there were crises we had to handle. During the height of COVID, during wildfires. Let me tell you, no one can lecture me that I don't know what that 3AM phone call is about. I also learned about the importance to always speak your mind instead of filtering it out for political purposes. I was an early advocate for same-sex marriage, for marijuana legalization, for gun safety. At the time, even many Democrats were opposed. Now, these things are all happening across the nation. I can promise you, I will always be an honest President, telling you exactly where my mind is.
RGM2609
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 05:37:16 PM »

Given the electorate which will be voting in the primaries, the Newsom campaign has determined that building strong support within the Latino community is of paramount importance, which is why the first weeks of the campaign will be spent in Nevada, hitting the campaign trail, holding town halls within Latino communities, building the ground game and airing a large number of TV ads in Spanish introducing Gavin Newsom to the electorate. It has also been determined that it is important for Newsom to outflank the other candidates on the issue of immigration, which is why as soon as within a week of the announcement, Newsom held a speech in Las Vegas addressing this very issue. Here are some parts of it:

"We in California have understood from early on that the benefits of immigration far outweigh the downsides. We understood the power of diversity. Which is why we never treated newcomers like political pawns, instead, we were the first state to offer all immigrants healthcare access and we have invested in the situation at the border, offering migrants temporary shelter. In return, our state benefitted, and its strong economy is in part owed to the contributions of migrants to our society.

I want to take this mentality on a national level. We need to approach this issue rationally, and one of my first proposals as President will be a comprehensive immigration reform package. I will propose a path to citizenship for undocumented immigration, together with an improved legal immigration system so that people don't have to choose between entering illegally and waiting years. We also need to revamp our visa system, which, even moreso given Trump's disruptions, is no longer suited for our economical needs. The Republicans won't do this because they want to keep immigration as a culture war issue behind which they hide their failures. Well, I say no more!"
RGM2609
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 03:39:33 AM »

While the public appearances of Governor Newsom are the main focus of the campaign, Newsom's team has decided that given tge current situation in the polls, a behind-the-scenes push to prevent the establishment from consolidating behind Harris is desperately needed. In the following weeks before the first debaye, Newsom will be meeting with as many donors as possible as well as with influential politicians, focusing on those in the congressional leadership, but also with the elders of the party such as the Clintons or former Speaker Nancy Pelosi. While Newsom won't expect endorsements from anyone he meets, he will make the case that his campaign is the best bet for an unified party and a victory in the General Election, and turning the primaries into a coronation for Harris, a flawed candidate who bombed in 2020 and is now the frontrunner because of her office would risk her losing the General Election given her national unpopularity. Newsom will urge them to give every candidate a chance to prove during 2023 who is the most competent and electable before throwing their lot in with someone.
RGM2609
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 03:54:32 AM »

Newsom will also tour the state of New Hampshire, for now engaging in grassroots politics in the state's biggest cities, hoping to make himself more familiar to voters. He will hold a rally at most, and focus more on town halls where he can answer the questions of the voters and get to know their priorities. The campaign will also start the process of creating field offices and getting volunteers to work the state until the primaries. Newsom will also attempt to court the endorsements of Senators Hassan and Shaheen, as well as of Representatives Pappas and Kuster, booking personal meetings with each of them and once again noting the unifying potential of his campaign and his electability in the general election.
RGM2609
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 03:45:44 AM »

Gavin Newsom realizes the importance of denying a certain candidate a monopoly over African Americans, as the exact same error made Sanders lose to Biden in 2020, which is why Gavin Newsom is planning to use a large part of the money raised in the first month (including the almost 3 million dollars raised in the first day) to establish a ground presence in heavily African American communities in Georgia and South Carolina. Newsom will also release introductory ads for those states lavishing him as someone who has been a liberal on both criminal justice and racial justice from the beginning and who in California has fought hard against systemic racism. Behind the scenes, Newsom will attempt to establish contact with figures such as Stacey Abrams, Senator Raphael Warnock and Representative Jim Clyburn, touting his record and promising to appeal extensively to the African American community in the coming months. While he does not necessarily expect endorsements, he hopes to determine them to stay out of the race. Specifically to Clyburn, he will say that while he made the right choice endorsing Biden in 2020, as he was the candidate most likely to win, Harris most certainly is not, and if she is nominated, she will likely lead the party to defeat in face of some hardcore Trumpist.
RGM2609
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 07:17:30 AM »

Following a good fundraising cycle, the Newsom campaign has decided to invest some of the revenue in an ad which will air in Georgia, South Carolina, Nevada, Michigan and New Hampshire, touting Gavin Newsom's progressive record on criminal justice. Here is its content:

"Politicians talk all the time. They flail around Washington, getting nothing done, and making outlandish promises every cycle. Promises they can't keep. But Gavin Newsom isn't like that. He ACTS.

As Governor of the nation's largest state, Gavin has proven that he has what it takes to make the progressive vision a reality. In California, he has placed a moratorium on all executions. He has closed down prisons and put an accent on rehabilitation and the reduction of recidivism. He allowed people who change their ways to clear their criminal records and move forward with their life. And most importantly, in his first year as Governor, he has signed a landmark bill placing clear limits on the police's use of deadly force.

Gavin will get this done as President, reform the broken system and make everyone feel safe in their community. Others TALK, he DOES.

Gavin Newsom - For a Brighter Future"

He will also continue his appearances in early states and in the national media, as well as attend numerous debate preparation sessions with his team, as he feels the debate is his best chance to overcome the noise and present his vision to the American people. Newsom has instructed his campaign to prepare for the campaign's first major rally, which will take place in California, specifically in San Francisco, mobilizing all of his supporters in the Party and putting in every effort to attract a large crowd. The rally will take place in the same day as Vice President Harris makes her visit to California.
RGM2609
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2022, 04:31:34 AM »

Excerpt of Gavin Newsom's speech at San Francisco rally

"Hello, San Francisco!

I am so happy to be in the city where I was born and which I had the great honor to lead! Thank you for coming in such great number!

I am here to tell you that America's great challenges won't await the perfect candidate to appear and solve them! I am here to tell you that in order to build thd brighter future we all want we need to get involved together!

If we want to tackle the global crisis of climate change, we must do it together! If we want to build an economy that works for everyone we must do it together! If we want affordable health care we must do it together! And as many voices as can get involved, the better!

Look, I know that certain candidates don't expect that. They expect a crown to be laid upon their head. But Democrats deserve better than that! They deserve their candidates to actually meet them, talk with them, convince them. Instead of a coronation, the primaries should be a test, so we don't end up in the General Election with someone who can't possibly win! That is what I'm planning to do in the following months!

I won't expect a crown, I will work to earn your trust. And I will continue to bring my voice to the table, and I encourage you to do just the same!

Thank you!"
RGM2609
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 06:34:17 AM »

While his speech at his rally in San Francisco did contain some jabs at the presumed coronation, it also was used by Governor Newsom to announce his housing plan. It was framed by Newsom as an issue of economic security as well as of basic human right for every American to be able to afford a roof above their head. After highlighting the housing package he signed in California, saying that he is a politician who acts and is not afraid to tackle the big problems, he then went into detail presenting a bold nationwide housing plan, which among other things, proposes:

1. Begin a Sustainable Communities Initiative to improve regional planning and the use of land
2. The expansion of the Affordable Housing Tax Credit
3. Work to allow more housing to be built near transit lines
4. Tie federal housing development funds to the local government's efforts to improve housing affordability
5. Expand the National Housing Trust Fund
6. No additional restrictions for borrowers seeking a federal loan for housing

Newsom promises that he will propose legislation accomplishing all of this and more during his first 100 days in office, and once again underlined his record of tackling major issues head-on instead of passing them on to his successors.
RGM2609
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2022, 08:18:27 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2023, 08:34:52 AM by RGM2609 »

Gavin Newsom - Debate answers

Opening statement

"These are crucial moments in the history of our country. It is the moment in which we can affirm with crystal clear clarity what we want to be. Do we want to be a country which takes care of its every citizen, or one which abandons them to their fates? Do we want to be a country which takes up on the challenges facing the modern world with the great American optimism, or one which will run away scared from them, a country which will pretend climate change doesn't exist and will instead fight made-up ghouls? Do we want to be a country which stands together with the Free World, or one which looks up to dictators? A country which respects a woman's right to choose, or one which will send in the Army to prevent abortions, as one candidate grimly promised? A country ready to face the future, or one scared to move forward? Us, Democrats, know our choice. I am standing on this stage tonight because I know I am ready to fight to unite our party around our common vision and soundly defeat whatever book-burning conspiracy theorist the Republicans put forward. And I hope for you to join me as we begin our great next American journey."

Question 1
"I raised my hand because my goal is to provide affordable healthcare to all Americans and put the accent in the system on actual health rather than how can insurance companies make more money, and a single-payer system is the best way to ensure that. Now, that doesn't mean I endorse the specific Medicare-For-All bill, I will release my own plan soon,but I believe that we must not make the mistake we made in 2020. Healthcare is not an issue to divide Democrats, it is an issue to unite Democrats, who all want to reform the broken system, unlike the GOP, which would rather fight for the interest of insurance companies than the people they claim to represent."

Question 2
"The issue of climate change is truly the most important one facing our planet. It is of vital importance to combat this crisis now, or face dire consequences. Whenever I see the wildfires we have to battle in California each year I shudder to think this is the world in which our children and grandchildren might find themselves in, in which floods, wildfires and hurricanes are just regular events. A world of fear. As Governor of California, I led efforts to take decisive action. In my state, we are forging a green future, and our commitment to fighting global warming has been called one of the most ambitious in the world. As President, I will take this mentality nationwide. My first priority will be to declare climate change a national emergency, and require Governmental institutions to treat it as such. I will end federal subsidies for Big Oil and begin a no-tolerance policy to polluters, greatly bolstering the EPA budget to make it more effective in enforcing environmental regulations. We will achieve a Green Transformation of our economy through the modernization of our transportation, energy and water infrastructure, through the transition to electric cars, through expanding and eventually making universal the usage of renewable energy sources, through investing in innovations for a carbon-free future. If I'm elected President, there will be no bigger priority for the United States government than saving our planet. None."

Question 3 -
"In my first 100 days, you can expect to see a President who wasted no time out of the 1461 one has in the office and already started the long work ahead of him carrying forward his promises to the American people. On my first day, I will declare the climate crisis a national emergency and issue Executive Orders meant to tackle pollution and focus the US Government's resources on dealing with this threat. I will also introduce a legislative package meant to accomplish the Green Transformation we desperately need. I will also fight in what will hopefully be a Democratic Senate to once and for all get rid of the filibuster which will allow us to do what the American people expect us to do: pass a comprehensive health care plan to lower costs and ensure everyone has quality care, increase the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour, establish universal background checks and an assault weapons ban, establish a path to citizenship for immigrants. These are just some of the priorities I seek to accomplish within my 1461 days as President."

Question 4 -
"I believe that the answer is clearly Russia. No state has been more aggressive in its attempts to destabilize world peace and been a greater threat to our allies in Europe. I fully support the actions of the Biden Administration and of NATO which have been decisive in helping the brave Ukrainian people in resisting the deranged Russian attack. As President, I will seek to continue our aid efforts and even increase them as possible, should the war still be ongoing at that point, and hopefully the Ukrainians will regain their peace and their homeland as soon as possible. Sadly, many Republicans feel differently. Following the lead of the disgraced former President, many have been vague on the war or even outright supportive of the Russians. It is imperative to keep them out of the White House or the consequences for our country and the world might be devastating."

Question 5 -
"I am running because the American people deserve to hear all of the voices willing to fight for the progressive future we are all envisioning. I believe Democrats want a fair fight rather than a coronation, in which we will have to earn their votes. And I think that, while I respect everyone on this stage, I have an unique record of progressive accomplishment in California which is uniquely adapted to the challenges of our time. But look, I do respect Kamala as an accomplished public servant. I did consider staying out of the race and supporting her. But I couldn't. I couldn't because of Daniel Larsen. In 1999, Daniel was convicted of possession of a concealed weapon after two police officers testified they saw him toss a knife under a nearby car in the parking lot of a bar. Despite there being witnesses able to testify to the contrary, nobody called them in, thus Daniel was convicted to 27-years-to-life in prison. After more than a decade, it was finally revealed that he was wrongfully convicted. However, then-Attorney General Kamala Harris appealed the decision, arguing that the man did not file his paperwork on time. Danny stayed for years more in prison waiting for Kamala's office appeal to be litigated, and it was finally tossed more than 2 years after. And what's even worse, it is not an isolated case. This record is not that of someone ready to unite us, to reform our broken criminal justice system, to unite us. Which is why I couldn't support Kamala."
RGM2609
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 07:07:37 AM »

Gavin Newsom's rebuttal (haven't used it in my main answers because I was the first one)

"Look, Kamala, I won't reply to some of the more...absurd things you have claimed. I would just like to point out that during my Governorship Democrats have held more House seats in California than ever in history. Now, I did endorse you. Because you were the best option on the table. But that doesn't mean that your record is beyond reproach. That doesn't mean you couldn't have done better. You have called yourself California's "top cop". You have said that liberals need to move beyond so-called biases against law enforcement. You have opposed legislation that would have required your office to investigate fatal police shootings. No law asked you to do this. You opposed the statewide usage of body cameras by police officers. No law asked you to do this. You have said you were opposed to the death penalty, then you fought against any effort to abolish it. In 2014, I declared my support for Proposition 47, which has gone a long way in keeping people out of jail, you didn't take a stance on that. In 2010, you withheld evidence about a corrupt technician working for the police, which was characterized by a judge as a violation of constitutional rights. You declined to support cannabis legalization. There are just so many examples, and that record is, unfortunately, not that of someone ready to fight for the values of our party."
RGM2609
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2022, 04:34:38 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2022, 06:53:30 PM by RGM2609 »

"Look, I have a lot of respect for Congresswoman Waters, someone with whom I've worked closely over the years, but allow me to respectfully disagree with her. One of the main reasons because of which I chose to run against Kamala, besides the fact that if nominated she would lose the election, is because she wouldn't fight hard enough for racial justice, against systemic racism. Unlike her, I fought my whole career for communities of color, even when it was unpopular. As President, I will combat inequalities in the economy, education, health care and criminal justice. While I am not African American, I hope to prove to these communities that I will be their strongest ally as President."

These words were said by Governor Newsom upon being asked about Congresswoman Waters's statement. After a debate about which the Newsom campaign felt positive, he quickly decided to focus his attention on New Hampshire and Nevada. He started to heavily court the support of the Culinary Union and of casino workers in Las Vegas as well as Latinos generally through his message on economic equality and immigration. In both states, but especially in New Hampshire he will shift somewhat to the left, hoping to come off as more progressive than Buttigieg but more electable than Harris. He will engage in retail politics all over the state and give interviews in the local media highlighting his progressive views and accomplishments, hoping for some 2020 Sanders/Warren voters to view him as the lesser evil. He will soon release his health care plan in New Hampshire and he will start ad campaigns in both states picturing himself as an "progressive who can win". However, peeling off Buttigieg voters won't be forgotten. Hoping to portray himself as the main anti-Harris alternative following the debate, Newsom will focus a lot on retail politics and appearances highlighting his charisma and unifying potential, as well as emphasize his ability to win and his accomplishments as California Governor.
RGM2609
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 08:53:23 AM »

True to form, Gavin Newsom has come out with a brand new healthcare plan, called "Quality Choices", which follows a broad outline of the "Medicare-For-All" plan while not being as disruptive to the broader healthcare system. The plan will be composed of 2 main components:

1. Open the Medicare system to all those who desire to enter it, the so-called "public option" and automatically enroll all uninsured individuals. The system will broadly look like the one described in the "Medicare-for-All" bill.
2. Allow private insurance companies to continue to operate only in an nationwide Obamacare exchange, with their plans having to comply with the existing requirements.

The Newsom plan will also cap the prices of drugs at the current price in Canada with the companies able to increase their prices afterwards by no more than the inflation rate. The plan will also prohibit insurance companies from increasing premiums by more than the inflation rate and increase the Obamacare subsidies.
RGM2609
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2023, 08:42:57 AM »

Following the Newsom campaign's decision to triage South Carolina and Georgia, all resources have been placed in New Hampshire and Nevada, both of which being states where the campaign sees a clear path to victory, and the Governor criss-crossed both states as much as possible, with time split mostly evenly between them, perhaps with a slight bias towards New Hampshire.

While in Nevada, among other things Governor Newsom presented his plan for the economy, the centerpoint of which being increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour but also increasing the importance of unions and fighting against corporate abuses. Newsom said: "Look, I want to substantively fkscuss these issues in-depth with my fellow Democratic candidates, but that's not possible, because some of us offer nothing but focus-group tested scripts and talking points instead of a real alternative. My fellow candidates, let's leave the consultants and the focus groups and the ego and the need for a coronation behind us and offer our solutions to the people!"

In New Hampshire, when during a town hall in Manchester a voter asked Governor Newsom why to support specifically him out of such a crowded field, he answered: "Look, I believe that the Democratic voters are looking for two things. First of all, someone who is committed to the progressive agenda. And I am that candidate, even moreso I proved it in California. I am committed to giving everyone access to healthcare and fixing the broken system, I am committed to minimum wage increases, to fighting against climate change, to open our doors to immigrants, to increasing gun control. And then, I believe Democrats want someone who can win. Because winning is more important than ever. Just look at these Republicans! Someone with a -20 approval rating isn't winning! I believe I can. I never lost an election, I defeated a desperate Republican attempt to recall me by 20% when they were saying it'll be close. I am ready to take the fight to whatever grifter I have to face in the General Election!"
RGM2609
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2023, 08:46:17 AM »

Today, the Newsom campaign presented a pledge called "No Dark Money", which Governor Newsom has signed and it is open for all Democratic candidates. It promises that the signatory candidates won't take money from:
- Big Oil and Big Pharma
- Lobbyists
- Super PACs
All Democratic candidates are invited to sign it.
RGM2609
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 08:59:34 PM »

Despite the negative reviews of Governor Newsom's debate performance, his campaign felt reasonabily content with what Gavin managed to achieve, which is, as they put it, make the race more of a contest than a coronation. However, they do realize that in order for the Governor to have any chance, he needs to get rid of the "petty" label and create an articulate and positive message. As soon as the debate reviews came in, Governor Newsom and his team have decided that every reference to another candidate should be positive or neutral. Vice President Harris is the exception, but even so any attacks against her will be limited and only made when asked by voters in town halls.

Strategy-wise, the Newsom campaign knows only a few words: New Hampshire, New Hampshire, New Hampshire and Nevada, Nevada, Nevada. Outside of attending duties in California, for example when the Governor signed the Harm Reduction Bill into law, Gavin Newsom will stay laser-focused on these two states.

In New Hampshire, Governor Newsom's team thinks there is an wide open field, given that both Harris and Buttigieg have been declining, which is why heavy resources will be placed into the state. The Governor will be a constant presence and so will his ads. The message will be simple: Governor Newsom is an uniter who has had numerous accomplishments in California and is ready to win and implement the progressive vision nationwide. Affordable healthcare, minimum wage increase and the right to choose are just some highlights. No effort will be spared trying to court the endorsements of the NH Senators, Representatives and friendly state officials and legislators.

In Nevada, the message will be similar, with more of an emphasis on immigration reform, gun control and support for unions. The endorsements of Nevada politicians and the Culinary Union will also be sought. Newsom has declared his support for Senator Gillibrand's Family Bill of Rights and Senator Merkley's DISCLOSE Act, but once again called on his fellow candidates to sign the "No Dark Money" pledge.
RGM2609
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 02:39:41 AM »

"The future we deserve" - ad airing in New Hampshire and Nevada

"Narrator: 20 years ago, the Republicans were fear-mongering against the LGBT community. Denying their right to marry. Denying their right to love.

Gavin Newsom saw that and took decisive action. In first days as Mayor, San Francisco became the first city in the Union to allow same-sex couples to marry. He was told by operatives that "it wasn't the right time", but for Gavin when he can do good, every time is right.

As President, he will do the same. Gavin is ready to fight for a bright future. He will fight for universal healthcare, a $15 minimum wage, the right to choose, the right of workers' to unionize, for lowering the cost of living and for marriage equality. Building the future we deserve: Gavin Newsom for President.

Gavin Newsom: I'm Gavin Newsom and I approve this message."
RGM2609
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 02:47:48 AM »

A new theme will slowly be introduced in Governor Newsom's campaign: electability. While this is also intended as an jab at Vice President Harris, he will do so subtly, by first of all highlighting the awfulness of the Republican candidates, especially that of the frontrunner, Governor DeSantis, and afterwards resorting to claim that he is the best bet to defeat the Republicans, claims propped up by his claimed ability to uniye the party and his resounding victories in California. "We can't nominate someone who can't win, the stakes are just too high" he will tell voters in New Hampshire and Nevada. He also pledged that, should he be nomimated, he will select a woman as his running mate.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies