What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:53:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Gameplay-PAUSED)  (Read 17365 times)
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.48

P P P
« on: December 12, 2022, 12:46:15 PM »

Gillibrand on the Move: Crossing the US

Credit to Twitter, made via Imgur

Gillibrand Speaks at Dartmouth Alumni Dinner (February '23)
Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator from New York, and graduate of Dartmouth College (88') has been in the spotlight recently due to a recent visit to the Granite State where she was the keynote speaker at an alumni event featuring the likes of Senator Tina Smith, Senator John Hoeven, Governor Tom Wolf, and her best friend actress Connie Britton. In her speech, she referenced her time at Dartmouth as one of the leading factors in her decision to make a run for Congress in 2006 and then Senate in 2008. After her speech, she received a standing ovation from the entire crowd, including from Republicans like Senator Rob Portman (and other alumnus).

Gillibrand exited the building to a large gathering of students chanting her name, and some even holding signs saying "Draft Gillibrand 2024" and "Run Kirsten Run!" Reporters questioned her on whether or not her speech and visit to New Hampshire had any implications for her future plans, bu her team declined to comment. However, it is important to note that despite not making a comment, Gillibrand visited the cities of Keene, Manchester, Portsmouth, and Nashua for "town hall" events and local Chamber of Commerce functions. Many have questioned where Gillibrand would go from here as it seemed that the Granite state was very enthusiastic to receive her, many welcoming her with open arms and enthusiastic cheers.

Gillibrand Hits Iowa to Speak With Voters (March '23)

After her hit visits to New Hampshire, Gillibrand visited Iowa during March. She spoke to people in local coffee shops, held town halls, toured family farms, and even spent a day working in a grain factory, learning the ropes of the trade. However, she didn't just barnstorm the state, she also attended other events such as Reba McEntire's Des Moines show, the Eastern Iowa Sportshow, and the Hawkeye Farm Show. Iowans were receptive to her visits and she received much of the same enthusiasm that she did back east in New Hampshire. The Gillibrand team was enthralled by Iowa and their willingness to accept her as their own as many families welcomed her to join them for lunch, dinner, or family functions. Accepting these invitations, she was able to connect with "everyday Americans" and better understand their circumstances, helping in her pursuit of speaking with the state's voters. After a month of heading back and forth between Washington DC and Iowa, she returned back home to New York.

Gillibrand Hires Staff, Reporters Ask Questions (April '23)

After successful trips to Iowa and New Hampshire and touring her home state of New York, Kirsten Gillibrand make some strategic hires to add to her staff. The list included the likes of Rob Flaherty, Katie Petrelius, and Remi Yamamoto - all of which worked as key staffers during the Biden 2020 campaign. These hires left many in the press wondering they had strategic value or were simply for publicity. In response to these questions, her team said:

We've been honored to have Rob, Katie, and Remi join our team over the last month. They bring amazing qualities to the office, and they know how to get their job done. Kirsten has been enthusiastic about their contributions, their commitment, and their charisma. We look forward to making a mark on future events and believe that with this new staff, great things are possible.

Gillibrand Enjoys the Beaches of South Carolina (May '23)

After a busy first part of the year, Kirsten Gillibrand, her staff, and family all visited the Palmetto State to celebrate the start of summer (and to speak with voters). Leaving the much colder northeast, Gillibrand arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in the early part of May. She spent a lot of time at local restaurants holding speaking events and attending house parties along the Carolinian coast. In addition to speaking with others, she and her family spent time at the beach, basking in the sun. On the negative side of things, some paparazzi took photos of Gillibrand in her swimsuit, selling the photos to TMZ and E! news, making for a somewhat embarrassing story as tabloids published the photos with headlines like "Gillibrand: Hottie of the Senate?" and "I Want Gilly: Kirsten Gillibrand Ranked Among Hottest Senators."

Throughout the month of May, Gillibrand make her mark of South Carolina - notably, an important state for the democratic presidential primaries. It's likely that Gillibrand and her team are to make an announcement about her future plans and career as the 2024 elections are a little over a year away. Will she push for President again or will she work to keep her spot in the Senate?
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »

Gillibrand For America: Brave Wins (May '23)

America, today we are embarking on a long, long adventure. We'll have our highs. We'll have our lows. But, we will never give up. We will never quiver at the sight of a challenge or competition. Nothing has ever been easy in my life. From running for Congress in a district where farm animals outnumbered Democrats, to running for Senate against a Corrupt Republican. Nothing has ever been easy, and I don't expect it to be. This race has so many great candidates, but I have something special to offer to the American People. I'm tested. I'm dedicated. I'm prepared. I am Brave. We need a President that is Brave, that won't back down at any point. I will never allow our country to become a laughing stock, as some Republicans like Mike Pence would do. This election, we must do something brave. We're going to take our message across this country. To Iowa, to New Hampshire, to Texas, to California, to Georgia, to Idaho, and everywhere else in this country. Together we will bridge this divide that the Republican Party has crafted, and put the issues that so many Americans hold dear. Medicare for All, Ending Wars, Comprehensive Gun Reform Legislation, and so much more. I hope that you all join me in this race, because this country is brave, always been, so let's elect a President that'll be Brave, together.

News Coverage:

NBC News:
"Over the past 2 months, she has opted for smaller, traditional retail stops, sampling local fare in South Carolina and hosting round tables in New Hampshire on issues like water contamination and public service. There's no doubt that this will shake up the race, potentially in a big way."
CNN:
“We need to remember what it feels like to be brave,” she says. “We launched ourselves into space and landed on the moon. If we can do that, we can definitely achieve universal health care. We can provide paid family leave for all, end gun violence, pass a Green New Deal, get money out of politics and take back our democracy. None of this is impossible. There's no doubt in our minds that Gillibrand will get every other candidate a run for their money. A young woman who's won in Republican areas - this is exactly what Democrats may be looking for."

POLITICO:
"The senator was joined onstage by activists, including Dreamers, migrants brought to the country illegally as children; anti-gun violence advocates; and victims of sexual assault. It was a lineup reminiscent of the Women’s March, a movement that Gillibrand has tapped into for her presidential campaign. This is a big move to make, especially in today's world. It's clear that she's making big strides."
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 10:54:03 PM »

Gillibrand & Hochul Campaign in New England
Accessed via Imgur

Throughout the summer months of June and July, Senator Gillibrand campaigned with New York Governor Kathy Hochul in New York, New Hampshire, and neighboring New England states. The endorsement came in the latter half of March as Hochul saw Gillibrand's campaign gaining traction, especially in their home state of New York. Hochul and Gillibrand have long been allies, both accomplishing a progressive and uplifting agenda both in Albany and in Washington D.C. The two have visited local coffee shops, parades, events, and town halls across the northeastern United States with special visits to crowds of cheering students at universities like Columbia University, Yale University, Hamilton College, Brown University, and even Harvard University. The two have built a name for themselves across the northeast, expanding their name recognition while simultaneously courting the region as Gillibrand's for the taking.

As June and July continue, Gillibrand expects to further cris-cross the United States and push her campaign, a plan which will prove to be somewhat easier due to recent hires by the Gillibrand campaign of experienced and skilled political staff. Although the future is unknown, it's become clear to many that Gillibrand is not to be taken for granted, especially in New England.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 02:12:42 PM »

Gillibrand Receives Boost in Fundraising, Opens Field Offices in Key States
Accessed via Imgur

In the few days and weeks following Senator Gillibrand's presidential campaign announcement, the numbers were flooded. Thousands of people from across the United States had donated to her campaign, pushing the total amount of money raised in the two weeks after her announcement at $405,000. In addition to the money she had left over from her Senate campaign back in 2018, the Senator was confident in her campaign's abilities to put the money to good use.

They opened up field offices in the key states of New Hampshire, Nevada, New York (Albany and Rochester) South Carolina, and Michigan (as well as a campaign headquarters in New York City). Staff was hired, offices were open, and the campaign began in full swing. Gillibrand's ground game focused heavily on voter registration efforts, going door to door, and pushing TV, social media, and radio ads. The Senator has recognized that she isn't as well known as others, but she hasn't let it stop her. She's appeared at all kinds of events across the United States from pig broils in rural Michigan to discussions of political philosophy in the New York City Public Library. Despite the critics' opinions, this strategy has seemed to work. As she continues to criss-cross the United States, the crowd goes larger and louder. More and more people have begun to get a sense of who Kirsten Gillibrand is, and many like what they see: a small town girl who made it big fighting for the working class. This message has been pushed by the candidate and campaign and will, if they get what they want, push her over the finish line in many suburban, rural, and urban working class areas across the United States.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 02:47:20 PM »

Hot Girl Summer: Gillibrand Hits Hard Across the US
All photos accessed via Imgur

The Month of Town Halls: June 2023
Throughout the month of June, Kirsten Gillibrand focused largely on town hall appearances in the states of New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina, and Nevada. These were often hosted by universities in the cities which she visited such as the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, the University of South Carolina, Dartmouth College, and the University of Nevada at Las Vegas. However, some town hall events were hosted at local venues, parks, and even on the water in the case of South Carolina and Michigan. These town halls were attended by dozens, and sometimes even hundreds. The Gillibrand values this small-scale campaigning as they believe it's crucial to building a formidable ground game. They know that their poll numbers are low in most cases, but they're confident that their real show of support is much higher, especially in key states in the northeastern United States. Below is a short excerpt from one of the Senator's town hall events in Portsmouth, New Hampshire:
Audience Member: Hi Senator Gillibrand. I just wanted to start off by saying thank you. Thank you for coming to Portsmouth. We really don't get any visitors outside of election season and have yet to get any visits from any of the other candidates so it really means a lot to me and the citizens of our town that you've come here to talk to us. So, I have a 14 year old daughter who I love with everything in my heart. But, it appears that she's made a lot a few mistakes that may dictate a lot of her life. She overdosed on multiple prescription drugs that she had been prescribed for pain killers. To preface, she had a major back surgery earlier this year. The doctor prescribed us these pills and told us that they weren't addictive, but that's obviously not been the case. I'm scared, Senator. I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my baby girl and I feel like I can't trust anyone anymore, not even my doctor. How are you going to address the drug and opioid epidemic in the United States?

Gillibrand: Wow. *Starts to tear up* Thank you for sharing that with me. Listen, I'm a mother of two wonderful boys who I love dearly, and I couldn't imagine something like that happening to any of them. But, this day in age, this is sadly becoming a more and more common occurrence in neighborhoods, even wealthy ones, throughout the United States. Kids are falling into these traps, taking drugs from people at school, or even being prescribed drugs by "trusted" adults who are supposed to be looking out for them. I've struggled a lot with family strife in my life, and have had some cousins lose their lives to overdoses, I feel your pain, and I don't want your daughter to go down that same path. This is exactly why I am running for President. For too long pharmaceutical companies have had their way with the American medical system and it's gotten extremely out of hand. People are dying. Children are dying. We've got to end it. That's exactly why as President I'm going to institute a "Medicare for All Who Want It" plan to help alleviate the financial burden that healthcare costs have on American families. Additionally, I will create a special council to investigate the foul play of pharmaceutical companies in this country, and we will hold them accountable. We will put price caps on prescription drugs that are necessary to survival like Insulin and EpiPens, and we will invest more into our education system, getting our children in the classroom rather than in the streets. We are going to get justice for you, your daughter, and everyone else in this country that has been a victim of drug abuse. I promise you that I will do everything I can to make this right.

Northeast Tour: July 2023
During the month of July, Kirsten Gillibrand embarked on a tour of the Northeastern United States. Ranging from Rochester to Bangor, her campaign bus criss-crossed the hearth of Republican Motherhood and Puritanism. She visited colleges, museums, cabins, bowling allies, and went for multiple hikes in the one-of-a-kind woods of the American north. Additionally, she once again visited her alma mater, Dartmouth College to speak at an alumni event. Everywhere she went, crowds cheered like they had never done before. The campaign bus was a big hit for a lot of people and showed them that Gillibrand was, at heart, a small town girl trying to make it big. Many of the people in these rural areas connected with her past and put their faith in her to deliver them a brighter future. She hit hard on voter registration efforts and getting people to sign up to volunteer. In the northeast, door knocking is big. After getting over 6,000 people to sign up to door knock, make phone calls, and write letters for her campaign, the team was confident in the ground game they had built. With a large absence from anyone else in the field in these small, rural areas, Gillibrand was ecstatic about her hopes. She appeared with people like Governor Kathy Hochul and Representative Paul Tonko in New York and Vermont, bringing out the Democratic big guns to help cement her as a frontrunner.

Gillibrand in the News: August 2023
In the month of August, Gillibrand took a break from her usual campaign style and opted for big crowds, big events, and big issues. Attending events such as the Planned Parenthood National Conference, Human Rights Campaign Banquet, Working Families' Party Conference, and others like it. These events held a lot of people and were attended by important figures in democratic politics, a demographic Gilibrand would like to court for endorsements and fundraising. She spoke about issues pertaining to women's rights, healthcare, the economy, and her proposed plans like the Internet Bill of Rights, Public Campaign Finance Program, and Maternal/Child Care. She announced plans for free daycare for all children with families making under $150,000 a year, gaining mass applause from the crowd. These speeches made it big in the headlines as she took the field by storm, promising to bring about drastic changes to a system she seems to be failing its people. Organizations like POLITICO, The Daily Kos, NBC, CNN, and ABC featured their own stories about Gillibrand's campaign, its advancements, and the hopeful future that the campaign has. Gillibrand was getting her name out there, and she couldn't have enjoyed it more. Everywhere she went people recognized her, asking for photos or autographs, and sharing their stories with her. She knew that she was on the on and up, and she was ready for more.

Cool for the Summer: September 2023
In the final month of summer, Gillibrand hit the states of Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio hard. Appealing to their urban and suburban populations, she made a play to pick up states during Super Tuesday. Recognizing that these states may not know her as much as others, she launched massive ad campaigns throughout them and other regions in Appalachia. TV ads displaying her accomplishments and plans for the future (especially healthcare plans) swamped the homes of families across these states. With this investment, Gillibrand was confident that she could make a play for these states and take them away from other leaders in the field. She appeared, as usual, at local events in large cities, but she also barnstormed the suburban and rural areas of these states. She connected with farmers, sharing her plans of a more equitable economy which helps those that provide the goods necessary for survival. She promised to help alleviate a lot of the stress caused by trade war, pushing for a stance on fair trade that helps lift up American farmers. She was confident that she had made a name for herself in these lesser-visited states which would hopefully propel her over the finish line. She became known in many areas as "The One Who Won't Leave us Behind" due to her frequent visits to "fly over country." People were intrigued, and she was ready to answer their calls.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 06:10:05 PM »

Gillibrand WaPo Op-Ed: To Keep Our Country Safe, We Need A National Cyber Academy
Accessed via Imgur

Cybersecurity is undoubtedly one of the United States’ most important lines of defense, but too many parts of the government don’t have the reinforcements they need. In one of the most serious examples of danger, Russian hackers in 2019 penetrated SolarWinds software widely used by the U.S. government, and the hack went undetected for months. Networks ranging from the departments of Energy, Treasury and Justice to the National Institutes of Health were exposed to exploitation.

Unfortunately, the government faces a severe shortage of cyber personnel needed to protect ourselves from such adversaries. As of September, more than one-third of public-sector cybersecurity jobs — more than 38,000 — were unfilled. And the tech workforce we do have is quickly aging out: By our calculations, just 7 percent of federal employees in computer science, computer engineering and information technology positions are under 30.

We need to take bold, forward-looking action to build not only a new generation of cybersecurity and technology professionals, but also a new pipeline to cyber and tech careers in government. We need to establish a Cyber Academy.

Working with colleagues on the Senate Armed Services Committee, I recently secured provisions in the National Defense Authorization Act, the annual defense budget bill, that will jump-start our work to do just that. They would create a road map for establishing, building and devising a curriculum for an institution that would staff up the federal cyber workforce and prepare the next generation of civil servants for the vital jobs of the 21st century.

The Cyber Academy we envision would be a state-of-the-art civilian counterpart to West Point, the Air Force Academy and other military academies — a government-funded university dedicated to training cyber and tech professionals for the civil service. It would make the U.S. government a vanguard in digital careers, while providing talented and civic-minded young people with a free postsecondary technological education and a way to serve their country.

Cyber Academy students would earn degrees in fields such as artificial intelligence, software engineering, cybersecurity, robotics and data science. They then would be placed for a prearranged term in corresponding roles in various federal agencies, determined according to the government’s digital and cyber needs and the students’ preferences, and informed by our national security priorities.

These graduates would have important roles beyond defense. They could help us to protect the electric grid and food supply chain, oversee policies about cryptocurrency and develop regulations for complex machinery such as driverless cars and autonomous drones — and that’s just scraping the surface.

The current tech workforce is neither large enough nor diverse enough to meet the nation’s critical needs. There are more than 600,000 open computing jobs in the United States, but just 71,000 computer science students graduated into the workforce in 2020. And the government has to compete for them with private tech giants such as Google and Amazon. The Cyber Academy’s service requirement would help address that uneven playing field and expedite the often slow-moving federal hiring process.

Recruiting for the Cyber Academy would also help us to diversify the field. The more perspectives, languages and skill sets we can bring into government, the more we can out-innovate and outperform our competitors and counter looming technological threats from China and Russia. The Cyber Academy could make this education and these careers accessible to everyone, including nontraditional students and those from underserved communities.

Without an urgent strategic investment in strengthening our federal cyber workforce, we risk ceding global leadership to our competitors and falling behind on our ability to protect and advance our national interests. As it stands, we are not fully prepared to face the challenges and seize the opportunities ahead.

Experts in science, technology and national defense agree: Former Google chief executive Eric Schmidt said last year that establishing a type of cyber academy will help to address the “vast shortage of the talent” the United States needs to keep up “in a world shaped by strategic competition.” Just last month, the Government Accountability Office published a report on the need for a “pipeline of digital staff,” specifically noting that an academy could create a dedicated pool of talent with “proficiency in both digital skills as well [as] understanding the functions of government [required] to meet agencies’ needs.”

In the short term, the steady stream of tech talent from a Cyber Academy would enable the government to address its urgent personnel deficit. In the long term, it would build up a pool of digital and cyber experts, allowing the United States to gain substantial ground in technological innovation and cement our global leadership in the digital age.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 02:54:57 AM »

Gillibrand Unveils Massive Plan for Reforms: Family Bill of Rights
She's Got a Plan for That!
All images accessed via Imgur

We must ease the financial burden on families and help level the playing field for children, no matter who they are or where they live
America can’t succeed unless families do. And our government only works if it works for families — not special interests, corporations, or the very wealthy. But right now, too many families are struggling to make ends meet, and too many children are being held back before they even get to kindergarten.

The resources and care available at the start of a child’s life have a crucial impact on their health, safety, development, and future success — but not every child starts on equal footing. Families and kids face huge disparities in opportunity and resources depending on their income and zip code, and the gap is wider for families of color. That isn’t fair, and it isn’t acceptable.

We need to level the playing field in the first, critical years of a child’s life, and ease the enormous financial burdens that families face when they raise a child.

So today I’m announcing my new economic policy platform, which I would enact in my first 100 days as president: the Family Bill of Rights. It guarantees a set of fundamental rights to give every child the chance to succeed — no matter what block they grow up on.

The Family Bill of Rights would make it easier for everyone to start a family — regardless of your income, race, or gender — and ensure that every child can reach their full potential. We’ll pay for it with a financial transaction tax, which would raise over $777 billion in the next decade.

1. The right to a safe and healthy pregnancy
The U.S. has the highest rate of pregnancy-related deaths in the industrialized world, and black women are 3–4 times more likely to die during or after childbirth than white women. These are largely preventable deaths — they’re generally caused by a lack of supplies, insufficient training, and the institutional racism and bias that put women of color at risk. I’ll make sure states and hospitals are equipped to prevent and respond to pregnancy complications.

And I’ll address the severe shortage of OB-GYNs in rural areas to make it safer to have a child no matter where you live. My plan will be modeled off of former Sen. Heidi Heitkamp’s legislation to study maternal health data from rural communities, develop better training for rural health facilities, and fix the shortage by making it easier and cheaper to train new OB-GYNs.

2. The right to give birth or adopt a child, regardless of income or sexual orientation
Depending on your sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, or income level, conceiving or adopting a child can be hard or out of reach altogether. But having or adopting a child should be a fundamental right if a parent wants one — and there are more than 400,000 children in the foster care system with over 120,000 waiting for a permanent family. If there are families ready and willing to bring a child in need into a loving home, no barrier — whether it’s cost or discrimination — should stand in their way.

I would ensure that taxpayer-funded adoption and child welfare agencies can’t discriminate against foster or adoptive families, whatever their gender or sexual orientation. And I would provide a tax credit to ensure that a family’s ability to adopt and provide a stable home for a child isn’t dependent on their wealth.

Many families, including LGBTQ couples, can’t conceive a baby independently, and fertility treatments are expensive and often out of reach. These services should be accessible and affordable for any family that needs them, so I would also require insurance companies to cover treatments like IVF.

3. The right to a safe and affordable nursery
The costs of raising and safely caring for a newborn can be daunting, and too many families simply can’t afford it. I will launch a new program to provide “baby bundles” for new parents so that all new families, regardless of income, can start off on the right foot with the supplies they need. These bundles will be filled with the most important items for a child’s first month at home, like diapers, swaddle blankets, and onesies, all in a box with a small mattress that can be repurposed as a nursery bed.

Finland has dramatically lowered its rates of infant mortality as a result of its baby bundle program. And here at home, Ohio, Alabama, New Jersey, and Texas all offer a version of the program for new families.

4. The right to personally care for your loved ones while still getting paid, including care for your child in its infancy
Too many people face the impossible choice between earning a paycheck or caring for their family members who need them, whether it’s a newborn baby or an aging parent. It’s past time we create a national paid family and medical leave insurance program, so that everyone can take the time they need to be with their loved ones without having to worry about how they’ll pay the bills.

And I would ensure that every child has the right to health care, by making the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) universal. I would automatically enroll every child in CHIP at birth — with an option for opting out — and give them access to Medicaid’s Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnostic, and Treatment (EPSDT), a comprehensive benefit program that is the best health coverage available for children.

5. The right to affordable child care and early education before kindergarten is available publicly
The first three years of a child’s life are the most crucial for cognitive development, directly informing educational success as they grow up. One of the biggest indicators of that development is the words a child learns by age three — and there is a 30 million word gap between low-income children and children from wealthy families. This is an injustice we can’t accept for any of our kids.

Every child deserves the same opportunities to learn, grow and reach their potential — which is why I would enact universal pre-K and expand the Child and Dependent Care tax credit so that families can afford safe, high-quality child care. My plan would also professionalize at-home and day care, expand access to early education for children with disabilities, and support child care workers.
Why I Fight:
I’m committed to enacting the Family Bill of Rights in my first 100 days as president because at its core, this is an economic issue.

I meet people every day on the campaign trail who tell me their number one concern is how to make ends meet for their family and give their children the best future they can. And I’ve talked to young people who would love to have a family, but they have no idea how they’ll make it work. We should make it easier to raise a family in America, and fighting for families should be the number one concern of the president of the United States, too.

For too long, crucial issues that inform the well-being of whole families and communities — from paid leave to child care to maternal health care — have been dismissed as secondary issues or “women’s issues.” I’ve spent my career fighting for those issues as what they are: front-and-center determinants of our whole country’s economic security, opportunity, and success.

This proposal will help combat some of the most fundamental and persistent inequities facing families in America. It will help tackle the quiet crisis of black maternal mortality so black women aren’t needlessly dying in childbirth. It will guarantee paid family leave for all, including the women of color who make up two-thirds of minimum wage workers in the U.S., many of whom can’t afford to take time off to care for newborn babies or sick children. And it will ensure every child has access to pre-K, so that no one enters kindergarten already behind. The plan doesn’t solve every problem, but makes major strides to level the playing field for every child.

I’m running for president because I want to fight for everyone’s families like I fight for my own, and that’s what this plan is about. Every family in America should be guaranteed these basic, fundamental rights to ensure their children’s health, opportunity, and futures.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 01:43:21 AM »

Gillibrand Debate Responses
Accessed via Imgur

Question 1: Opening Statement
Thank you Lester and Drexel University for hosting us here tonight in beautiful Philadelphia, the home of American freedom. To those of you who don't know me, I'm Kirsten Gillibrand. I'm a mother of two from rural New York who won in a congressional district where the number of cows outnumbered the number of Democrats. I've fought my entire life to build an America where everyone has the ability to succeed and have worked during my time in the Senate to cut middle class Americans in. I'm here tonight to address your concerns, answer how I'll work to drive America forward, and build a nation in which we coexist and build each other up with bridges of hope rather than walls of division. Thank you.

Question 2: Single Payer
* Raises hand.* More and more Americans are having to ration their live saving medicine in order to keep the lights on. We've got to fix it, I'm going to fix it, and we're going to stop the takeover of big pharma and invest back into the American people.

Question 3: Climate Change
Climate change is one of, if not the greatest global issue, that will affect not only us but our future generations. It's detrimental and it has destroyed communities, left people dead, and is even threatening to absorb entire countries in Micronesia. As a Senator, I've introduced legislation to clean up the Hudson River and our Great Lakes, working to keep our waterways pollution free and help protect the diverse environments and ecosystems which thrive. Additionally, I've spearheaded legislation to introduce greater regulations on big polluters, something that the Republicans have done everything in their power to stop. Some candidates on this stage will talk a big talk, but most of them haven't walked the walk. I know, firsthand, the effects that climate change can have on communities because I've seen it. Farms across upstate New York have a greater threat of droughts and wildfires spreading, potentially leading to entire livelihoods being lost. As President, I'll commit to net zero carbon emissions by 2040, will declare climate change a National Emergency on day 1, and enter into more international agreements to stop the effects of climate change globally - including pressuring Russia, China, and India to do the same. We've got to fix this, and I believe that I'm the only one with the guts to do it.

Question 4: First 100 Days
From Day 1, I'm getting straight to work for the American people. Declaring climate change a national emergency, proposing legislation in Congress to protect abortion nationally, create a national Cyber Academy, protect America's fisheries and manufacturing industries, and protecting our communities from gun violence are some of my top priorities for the first 100 days. Many Presidents commit to a lot, yet they don't follow through. To those who have been disappointed by these broken promises, I ask you to look at my record. No matter the political climate, I have gotten things done. I've passed gun and environment protections in Republican senates and have advanced a progressive agenda to uplift communities, especially marginalized communities, across the United States. We're going to get things done in the first 100 days not because we want to, but because we have to, for the sake of our country and for the betterment of our world.

Question 5: Geopolitical Adversary
There is only one answer to this question: China. China has been investing in the Silk Road Initiative and others like it immensely in the past decade, building relationships and bringing countries onto their side by creating infrastructure projects and handing out money. They've tried to destroy our manufacturing and opposed us militarily. China was made powerful by the United States back in the 70s, and it's time that we bring them to heel. As President, I'll work diplomatically to build strategic international relationships to help court nations to our side, building lasting bonds which will work to our benefit. Additionally, I'll put pressure on China to get their hands off of American jobs, bringing them back home and strengthening our economy. Producing more in the United States and inspiring new businesses are one of my top priorities. It's time that we take Silicon Valley nationally and create a greater number of technological hearths and cut more minorities and women in on the ability to start a business and flourish. We're going to put America back on top and show China who's boss.

Personal Question
As a member on the Senate Intelligence & Armed Services Committees, I've got to learn a lot about national security throughout my tenure. We all know that the United States is under constant attack by foreign threats, but there are better ways that we can handle these threats. In this new digital age, cybersecurity efforts can protect our national secrets, plans, identities, and all other important classified information. I've proposed a National Cybersecurity Academy to help educate a new generation of Americans who are ready to help their country protect itself from foreign threats by using technology. I'd also like to quickly thank Vice President Harris for her comments about my plan and I look forward to working with her to implement it when I'm President. Additionally, I've always been clear that I would support any diplomatic action to help keep the United States safe, especially against threats like Russia and China who are looking at any possible opportunity to strike us down. We've got to get stronger, invest back into our country and security, and ensure our nation's safety while building relationships and bonds internationally to connect ourselves to the outside world. We'll strengthen NATO, push for more fairness in the United Nations, and work with our ASEAN and African partners to create a network of safety for nations defending democracy and safeguarding their way of life.

McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 01:56:14 AM »
« Edited: December 30, 2022, 02:10:15 AM by McGovernite »

Gillibrand Ad: Impossible
Aired In: NH, NV, SC, MN, IA, UT, OR, ID, TX, VT, MA, ME, RI

"They want to take away health care from millions of Americans."
"They want to make abortion illegal."
We can't just tune it out, we've got to shut it down.
I won't apologize for only nominating judges who support a women's right to choose.
I don't care if corrupt politicians are scared at my plan to get big money out of politics.
And I'm proud that I supported Medicare for All before it was popular.
I've stood up to the Republicans when they've tried to gut social programs, and I'll do it again.
Nothing is impossible, if we fight for it.
I'm Kirsten Gillibrand, I'm running for President, and I approve this message.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 12:23:29 PM »

Gillibrand Calls on Congress to Vote on Her Family Bill of Rights
Accessed via Imgur

Vice President Harris: The gentlewoman from New York is recognized for 5 minutes.
Gillibrand: Thank you Madam President. Fellow Senators, I stand before you today to inform you of the problems and issues families are facing across this nation. People are dying. Families are being destroyed. Children are left without homes. This is serious stuff. Today I rise to speak about S.B. 185, or the Family Bill of Rights Act. My bill, sponsored by Representative Ro Khanna in the House, will deliver results for American families and safeguard healthcare while ensuring that those who are pregnant will not suffer at the hands of wanting to create a family. Let's go over the key points of this bill:

1. The right to a safe and healthy pregnancy.
2. The right to give birth or adopt a child, regardless of income or sexual orientation
3. The right to a safe and affordable nursery
4. The right to personally care for your loved ones while still getting paid, including care for your child in its infancy
5. The right to affordable child care and early education before kindergarten is available publicly

Senators, when our Founding Fathers crafted the Declaration of Independence they shared their vision for all Americans to have "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Senators, this is not what we see today. People are left on the street, hungry, disheveled, and un-helped. Families are rationing their medicine in order to keep the lights on. Children are becoming more and more likely to fall into the trap of drugs and crime. This is serious stuff, and no one has done a single thing about it. This bill will not only keep the economy going by ensuring families have money to spend and invest back, but it will keep our children safe and in a loving home. Additionally, more and more young women are having to get unsafe abortions because of state restrictions and the federal disregard for women's healthcare. As a woman, and a mother of two: I am fed up. I have gone through the childbirth process, and it isn't easy. Some women would rather not have children, and their reasons are valid. We have no right, as a Government, to question the motives of individuals who make their own healthcare decisions, or to limit their privacy. This bill will further abortion protections, and put women's healthcare on the forefront of the fight for medical justice.

It's for this reason that I call on this Senate to take action. We must pass the Family Bill of Rights. I call on those who are also running a campaign for President to make their stand. Will you stand for justice and safety or will you wage a war against the lives of American women? Make your decision. Senators, we must act. This isn't something that we just want to happen, it's something that we NEED to happen for the future of our country and for the security of our women. Speak out, take a stand, work to pass this bill. I'm here to fight, are you? Thank you Madam Vice President, I yield.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 01:12:07 PM »

Gillibrand Rebuttal to Gov. Whitmer
Accessed via Imgur

Whitmer: "It’s imperative that we pass a public option to help the millions of Americans who live without affordable healthcare. However, those who are satisfied with their current health insurance plans should be given the choice to stay on those plans."

Gillibrand: Lester-Lester, if I could just cut in here for a second. Governor Whitmer, how can you not realize the imminent danger that millions of Americans face when they get injured, have to get medicine, or have a loved one in danger? It has become a national epidemic in which people have to ration their medicine in order to live - how can you defend this? As President, I'll pass Medicare for All, get people the medicine they need, and stop the pharmaceutical companies from taking over our country. I have no times to big pharma, unlike Governor Whitmer, which is why I question her judgement on this issue. I mean, c'mon, we've got to do something. Staying the course will lead to people dying, and I for one, am not on board with that.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 01:01:18 AM »

Gillibrand Rebuttal to Eric Adams
Accessed via Imgur

Mayor Adams: "Climate change is of course a big threat to our future, but one we can address with practical solutions, like the Biden administration has started doing with bills like the IRA. Certainly we need to do more, because lowering pollution and emissions will help everyone, especially people of color and working people: I will crack down on polluters and their political supporters who try to block the EPA from doing its much-needed job, I will invest in efficient public transportation, I will improve our energy grids too."
Gillibrand: Lester, if I can just respond to Mayor Adams really quick. Mr. Mayor, you talk a big talk about climate change and your plans to help address this issue. However, whenever you ran for Mayor of New York back in 2021, you spoke rarely about climate change. New York City is a massive producer of carbon emissions due to the large presence of big business there, our public transportation, and housing. You said nothing about it when you ran, and then when you were elected you made big, bold promises to help solve the issue but refused to fund the city's budget to address it. Promises were made, but they were not kept. People lost their jobs due to your budget, and these initiatives achieved little to no impact, if any. As President, I'll keep my promises and fight to stop climate change, just as I have in the US Senate writing actual legislation WITH funding and getting it done under Republicans and Democrats.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 04:19:06 PM »

Gilly's In It to Win It: Minority Demographics Strategy
Accessed via Imgur

African American Strategy

The Gillibrand campaign recognized, from an early point, that she would have some issues courting African American voters to her side. Considering that candidates like Vice President Harris were in the race and utilizing their backgrounds to their benefit, she knew something more had to be done. Her campaign team decided it would be fit to launch a massive ad campaign on TV, radio, and social media in states with a large minority population and in some minority-majority districts in key states, such as New York's 8th district, South Carolina's 6th district, New York's 9th district (where she received the endorsement of Rep. Yvette Clarke), and Pennsylvania's 3rd district. Appearing with figures such as Rep. Clarke, Actress Connie Britton, and Gov. Kathy Hochul, the three barnstormed the NYC and Philadelphia metro areas. Attending local events, parades, house parties, and eating at soul food restaurants (notably in the neighborhood of Harlem where the Senator took her photo to be hung at the famous Sylvia's Harlem Restaurant. These efforts seemed to be paying off as the campaign noticed an uptick in black enthusiasm and interest when conducting straw polls at the events the Senator attended. Furthermore, Gillibrand is focusing efforts on getting more support from the black community through endorsements and appearing on popular black radio shows like Power105 New York, WUSL Power 99 Philly, and WGCI Chicago. Making these strategic connections, the campaign believed, would greatly help black voters get to better know Sen. Gillibrand and make an informed choice for President, basing it off of policy plans rather than race. Additionally, Gillibrand appeared at multiple events hosted by and for black women groups, where she presented some plans and background while incorporating humor.

Latinx Strategy

Similar to her African American situation, Gillibrand and her campaign recognized early on that she would have to make certain efforts to appeal to Latino/Latinx voters. One of the first things she did to not turn people against her was not refer to the group as Latinx and instead use Latino/a because of the taboo surrounding the word and the general dislike of it in the community (I've only used it in this post because that's what I'm used to and comfortable with). Appearing with Rep. Yvette Clarke and Actress Connie Britton, Gillibrand hit states and cities with large Hispanic populations like New York City, Miami, Tucson, Philadelphia, Boston, and San Antonio. Additionally, she appeared on networks such as Telemundo where she answered interviewer's questions in semi-fluent Spanish, showcasing her trilingual skills. Eating at restaurants like El Charro Cafe, Cosme, and South Philly Barbacoa, she also had her photo taken with the owners and displayed on the wall (with some of the photo's captions saying "Future President Loves Our Food!" She enjoyed subtle endorsements from local business owners and thanked them for their advocacy and continued work to help elect her to the White House. After continuing a similar social media and ad strategy with many of these being in Spanish and Portuguese, the campaign noticed an uptick in support and enthusiasm. The Senator was optimistic about her chances, and to help sure up support she attended multiple events hosted by Latino/a Americans, went on local NYC, Philadelphia, and Tucson radio stations, as well as launched new policy ideas related to Immigration.

Asian Strategy

Sen. Gillibrand committed herself to hitting home on an ethnic and racial group oftentimes overlooked by other candidates: the Asian & Pacific Islander (AAPI) community. As someone who can speak fluent Mandarin due to her studying abroad in China during her time at Dartmouth College, she found it quite easier to connect with many AAPI voters, especially those in metro areas like New York's 6th district, California's 17th district, and Texas' 22nd district. Although she didn't just campaign in these areas with large Asian populations. She appeared on Asian TV and radio networks, speaking in Mandarin, of course. She also appeared with Actress Connie Britton, who also studied abroad in China with Gillibrand, in the New York, Boston, and Philadelphia villages of Chinatown. Addressing these voters in both English and Mandarin, many were drawn to her as she made an active effort to fight for issues important to the AAPI community such as Poverty, Health, and Education. Taking photos and signing autographs with local business owners, elected officials, and regular people on the street, Sen. Gillibrand put herself out there as someone who could be representative of AAPI voters and all Americans as a whole. Perhaps one of the most wholesome moments of her AAPI barnstorm events was when, in Boston, a little girl ran up to the Senator and told her in Mandarin that she loved her. Responding in Mandarin to say the same to the little girl, she jumped into her arms and kissed her on the cheek while hugging her tightly. The campaign used this photo on social media and sent it to the press where Americans basked in her likeability, good vibes, and love for children.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2023, 09:52:19 PM »

Gillibrand Unveils Climate Plan: Most Robust Climate Investment in History

My Plan to Tackle Climate Change

Polar ice and glaciers are melting at a rapid pace. Heavy rains are causing catastrophic flooding in the Midwest, leaving farms submerged and homes and businesses destroyed. Changes in our oceans are disrupting fisheries and killing coral reefs. Droughts and wildfires are threatening communities across the West, and extreme weather is leaving millions of people without homes and causing billions of dollars in damage every year.

We’re already seeing the effects of climate change on communities across our country and the world. Climate change is the most serious threat to humanity today, and we need immediate and bold action to address it before it’s too late.

The scientific community is telling us that we only have a short amount of time to act if we’re going to prevent the most catastrophic and irreversible damage in the future. But President Trump refuses to even acknowledge that human-caused climate change is happening.

Climate action should be this generation’s moonshot. To save our planet, the energy, talents, and commitment of every American will be required, from our farmers and workers to our scientists and entrepreneurs. The next president has to be willing to take bold leaps to lead this effort and stand up to the climate change deniers, polluters, and oil and gas special interests. I will, because we can’t afford not to.

So today, I’m releasing my official climate change plan. As president, I will restore U.S. climate leadership with ambitious and immediate action to enact the Green New Deal, mobilize $10 trillion in public and private funding over the next decade and set us on the course to achieve net-zero carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions. I’ll make climate polluters pay, transform our economy with good-paying green jobs, and protect clean air and clean water as fundamental human rights.

As President Kennedy once said about the moonshot, we should do this not because it is easy, but because it is hard. It will be a measure of our excellence, innovation, and entrepreneurialism as a nation.

We can, and will, rise to meet the biggest challenge of our time. Here’s how a Gillibrand administration will do it:

Get to net-zero carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions and phase out fossil fuels:

With time running out to address climate change, we can’t settle for half-measures. That’s why I was one of the first supporters of the Green New Deal, an ambitious framework to save our planet by investing in infrastructure, creating a green jobs economy, and protecting clean air and water.

As president, I will also work to get us to net-zero carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions — nationwide and across the economy. We must set our ambitions high and aim to achieve net-zero emissions in the next decade, and we will put enforceable standards in place to ensure our whole economy meets net-zero emissions no later than 2050.

In a decade, I’ll strive to get us to 100% clean, renewable, and zero-carbon electricity, and I’ll prioritize transforming our electric grid into a system that’s designed to better handle renewable and distributed energy.

We can tackle a huge percentage of our carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions by focusing on the transportation sector, so as president, I will phase in new vehicle emission standards to require newly manufactured cars and other vehicles to be zero-emission by the end of the next decade. I’ll invest in building out electric vehicle-charging infrastructure to meet the new demand and prioritize transportation funding for high-speed rail, public transit, and bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.

But reducing the consumption of fossil fuels isn’t enough. We have to phase out production — starting now. As president, I will immediately issue an executive order to end all new fossil fuel leases on public lands and the Outer Continental Shelf. I will end all hydraulic fracturing (fracking) on public lands and support restrictions on all fracking in other environmentally sensitive locations and near homes, schools, and agricultural areas. On private lands, I will direct the EPA to set stronger health and safety regulations and close the “Halliburton loophole” that exempts fracking from the Safe Drinking Water Act. I’ll also end fossil fuel exports that are contributing to climate pollution overseas.

I’d make sure the federal government leads by example on this in all areas. I’ll set up a federal “buy clean” standard to reduce our reliance on carbon-intensive products for federal infrastructure projects. And I will require a climate analysis for all new major energy infrastructure projects so that we’re only permitting projects consistent with our net-zero carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions goal.

Our nation’s infrastructure must also be rebuilt to be more resilient to the impacts of climate change. I will direct federal agencies to establish resiliency standards and require that all federally funded infrastructure projects are designed to withstand the impacts of climate change, sea-level rise, and extreme weather. Finally, any major new construction projects should be required to meet efficiency standards — and when we make repairs to buildings that have already been constructed, those retrofits should be energy-efficient, too.

Put a price on carbon and hold polluters accountable:

For far too long, the fossil fuel industry has been allowed to pump greenhouse gases into our atmosphere with little restraint. All the while, they’ve raked in billions in profits — leaving communities across the country to pay for the consequences left behind. That’s why I’m proud to have taken the No Fossil Fuel Money pledge — my campaign does not accept contributions from oil, gas, or coal industries or their executives.

Polluters should be held responsible for the messes they make. So as president, I will create a Climate Change Mitigation Trust Fund, funded by an excise tax on fossil fuel production to generate $100 billion annually for climate mitigation projects. The fossil fuel industry — not taxpayers — will pay for projects to lessen the effects of sea-level rise, extreme weather, and other climate-related disasters.

And I’ll put a meaningful price on carbon — starting at $52 per metric ton — to steer companies away from fossil fuels and toward investment in clean and renewable energy. The revenue generated from this carbon tax, estimated at more than $200 billion annually, will then go directly back into our country’s transition to renewable energy.

American taxpayers shouldn’t be subsidizing an industry built on greed that’s destroying communities’ health and the planet. So I will work with Congress to end federal subsidies, including tax subsidies, for the fossil fuel industry. And I’d implement new tax credits to speed up the deployment of clean and renewable energy and energy storage technologies.

Build a green jobs economy:

Americans have always been innovators, and it’s time to unleash our innovative potential to tackle climate change. I envision a new American industrial age — structured around the green economy and green jobs — that puts working people first, revitalizes our struggling communities, and repairs our infrastructure while reducing our carbon footprint. Building a green economy can create local jobs in every community of the country, confronting the crisis we face with climate change and an economy that has left too many Americans behind.

Even as we phase out fossil fuels and rein in industry greed, we can’t forget the hardworking Americans who depend on those jobs. I will harness the talent of these displaced workers to build a clean energy economy: I will establish a “green jobs recovery fund” to help affected communities build new opportunities. And I will prioritize clean technology jobs as part of a major national investment in communities hit hardest by the decline of the industry — including regions facing persistent poverty, rural areas in population decline, and frontline communities. I will ensure wage and benefit replacements are guaranteed for displaced workers, and make it easier for workers who are near the end of their career to find paths to retirement. We’ll also protect the health care and retirement funds of retired miners and strengthen the Black Lung Disability Trust Fund.

We must make it a priority to ensure green jobs are good jobs. Any federal investment in clean energy job creation will be coupled with strong job standards like prevailing wage and union neutrality protections, as well as use of project labor and community benefit agreements.

This new green economy can be a massive source of opportunity — and we’ll make it available to the people who need it most. We’ll target our hiring preferences to ensure that underrepresented populations and people who face barriers to employment have access to union apprenticeships in high-quality green jobs. And I will create a Conserve America Corps that builds on the legacy of the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps. We should give young people the opportunity to serve in protecting and preserving our land, forests, water, and other critical natural resources, and be rewarded for those efforts with on-the-job skills training and assistance to pay for college, a down payment on a home, or to start a business.

I’ll ensure the clean technologies of this new industrial age are manufactured by American workers, not by China or another competitor. I will establish a “New Frontiers in Clean Energy” cross-government initiative to develop the innovations that have the greatest potential for getting us to net-zero carbon and other greenhouse gas emissions. I’ll require those technologies — anything from high-performance solar cells and technologies to improve energy efficiency in buildings to energy storage and clean carbon-capture technologies — to be made right here in the United States by American workers.

Prioritize rural advancement, frontline communities, and marginalized voices:

Rural America’s farmers, manufacturers, and innovators are absolutely essential to our country confronting climate change. We should empower rural leaders to embrace clean energy as a way to cut costs, create jobs, and steward our natural resources. My plan envisions a rural energy revolution to help our rural communities adapt to and prepare for the effects of climate change, and build a sustainable, green economy.

As president, I’ll invest in rural America to protect the nation’s critical natural resources and support our rural leaders on the frontlines of the fight against climate change. I’ll create a Rural Resiliency Fund to help rural communities make their infrastructure more resilient to the effects of climate change, invest in disaster preparedness, and recover from natural disasters. I will also make resiliency a top priority of USDA research and agricultural support programs, and partner with our land-grant universities and extension service. We will support a transition to diversified, sustainable food systems that makes our farmers more resilient to climate and market forces. Extension networks will help farmers take advantage of new opportunities in clean energy production, including advanced biofuels, and help fishing and forestry communities adopt sustainable practices and build new markets.

During the New Deal, our country made it a priority to bring electricity to every corner of the country. It’s time to modernize that plan. I will invest $100 billion in building a more resilient, efficient, secure energy grid that is essential to clean energy distribution — which will also keep energy local to provide sustainable power to family farms and local businesses. Working with partners like rural electric cooperatives, I will make a major investment to build a smart grid across rural America while also expanding high-speed internet access to provide universal access to the fiber connections this new grid requires.

And while the effects of our changing climate are universal, there is a disparate effect on the quality of life and economic stability in communities of color and low-income communities — which have had the least hand in creating the climate crisis.

You can’t address climate change without a plan seeking climate justice. We must ensure that we prioritize climate investments in communities that have been historically left behind and those at the front lines of climate change and pollution. This means taking action to eliminate the sources of pollution in these communities and prioritize funding for efforts to clean up legacy contamination. It also means ensuring that frontline communities and workers have a seat at the table in developing and implementing our climate policies to ensure that they are fair and equitable.

My administration will respect and uphold the rights of indigenous communities. I will direct federal agencies not to approve major projects that would traverse or disrupt Tribal lands without first seeking and obtaining the informed consent of the affected Tribal governments.

Lead a 21st-century clean energy international “space race”
Climate change cannot be solved by one nation alone: The world must work together to save the planet we all share. America should be leading that effort, not retreating from it.

Scientists have been very clear: We need to globally achieve net-zero emissions by 2050 and keep global temperatures from rising. So I will restore our global leadership on climate change and rejoin the Paris Climate Agreement on day one of my presidency. But I won’t stop there.

When President John F. Kennedy started the space race, he didn’t know if he could get to the moon within ten years. But he did know that by challenging Russia, he would galvanize all Americans to support the mission to get to the moon first. Why not challenge China to a clean energy competition for this generation?

So let’s commit to a 21st-century clean energy “space race,” where we decarbonize our economies through innovation and investment at a scale that rises to meet the global challenge we face. I’ll put the entrepreneurs and innovators of America up against anybody, anywhere, anytime — because I know we’ll win.

Further, as one of the world’s largest emitters of greenhouse gasses, our nation has a responsibility to help developing countries adapt, because they are experiencing some of the most immediate and devastating impacts of climate change. I’ll ensure that we meet our commitments to the Green Climate Fund and other international institutions that fund climate mitigation efforts overseas.

And I’ll guarantee that trade agreements negotiated by my administration include strong climate and environmental provisions, and that the U.S. is leading the world in exporting clean technologies and renewable energy products.

Protect clean air, clean water, and public lands:

The Flint water crisis should have been a nationwide wakeup call on environmental injustice. Millions of Americans lack access to clean water and clean air — and low-income communities and communities of color have borne the brunt of those health and economic disparities.

Clean air and clean water should be a fundamental human right for all Americans — regardless of who they are, where they live, or how much money they make. With Donald Trump in the White House, we’ve seen an unprecedented rollback of environmental protections — a gift to the fossil fuel industry and other big polluters. As president, I’ll restore and strengthen Clean Air Act regulations and reverse the Trump administration’s attacks on the Clean Water Act.

I’ve passed legislation in the Senate to address contamination of PFAS in our drinking water around military bases, an issue I’ve championed for years starting with the drinking water crisis in Hoosick Falls, New York — and as president, I’ll work to remove these chemicals nationwide. I also introduced the Promoting Infrastructure and Protecting the Economy (PIPE) Act to create a $5 billion federal water infrastructure grant program to help communities address urgent water projects. (Read more about my plan to help Flint, Michigan and prevent future water crises here.)

Lastly, I will support full funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund and our nation’s national park maintenance backlog, ensuring families everywhere have access to our nation’s greatest treasures. I’ll protect the integrity of the Antiquities Act by preserving our existing national monuments and protecting additional lands and waters of national significance. And I will protect our public lands from exploitation by banning any new fossil fuel production on public lands and phasing out existing leases.

When I visited Iowa in April, I met Fran and Jason Parr, who showed me around their home to see the devastating flood damage there. Families and farmers have been hit by historic flooding in places along the Missouri and Mississippi rivers this year, while communities like Cedar Rapids know this devastation all too well.

It’s hard to put into words what families like these have experienced: They’ve lost their homes, belongings, crops, and their land has been ruined by river water and sewage. Many will have to start completely over, but they aren’t broken down. Americans are resilient, and we know how to lift each other up and rebuild, even in the worst of times.

This story repeats itself across our country anytime a natural disaster strikes — whether it’s flooding in the Midwest, fires in California, or storms in the South and Puerto Rico. And we know that extreme weather will only increase in frequency and severity as our climate keeps changing. To truly protect our communities, we can’t just stay in the cycle of disaster and recovery — we have to honestly reckon with the challenge we face, and take action with courage and determination.

Climate change is the single greatest threat to humanity we’ve ever faced, but we can’t react with fear — we must be brave. We should set ambitious goals, enact transformative change on our economy, seize the opportunity of new technology, and lead the world in innovation. That’s what America has always done, and I believe we can do it again.

There is no higher-stakes fight than this one. We aren’t just working to protect jobs and communities; we’re called, right now, to save our planet. We can’t afford to delay or take half-steps. Together, we can face this challenge head-on and safeguard the future for the generations to come after us. As president, I’ll get it done.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 12:56:47 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2023, 04:44:19 PM by McGovernite »

Gillibrand Ad: Impossible
Aired in IA, NH, MA, NY

I want to get money out of politics. There's a lot of political corruption and we know that anything we want to accomplish there's always something or someone standing in the way. The corrupt special interests, the greed, the lies.

As soon as you get money out of politics, it changes everything.

I will codify Roe, repeal the Hyde Amendment.

Only appointed judges and justices that believe Roe v. Wade is settled precedent.

I will not only re-engage on the global climate accords, but I will lead the nationwide and global conversation.

When John F. Kennedy said, I want to put a man on the moon, he did not know he could get a man on the moon, in ten years. But he knew it would be a measure of our innovation, our competitiveness.

I will start a green energy race with China. You make it a measure of our success.

I would have a community-based asylum process. We have real immigration judges so that we can have a comprehensive and thoughtful system.

The Family Bill of Rights: The right to a healthy and safe pregnancy. National paid leave, a safe and affordable nursery, give birth or adopt a child. Affordable day care and universal pre-k.

I will make sure if you would like a third gender on any federal license that you may put an X. Guarantee your right to adopt a child. Guarantee your right to IVF treatments. Guarantee your transgender treatments.

Guarantee Medicare for All. Guarantee a single-payer system. I know how to get it done.

Nothing was done after Sandy Hook, after Charleston, after Las Vegas. I will make sure we have universal background checks, ban the large magazines, the assault rifles, the military-style weapons.

I would legalize marijuana, de-criminalize marijuana, and I would de-schedule marijuana.

If you really want to get something done, just tell me it's impossible and I'll get it done.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 02:56:00 AM »

Gillibrand Responds to Mayor Adams' Remarks: Speaking Event
Accessed via Imgur

Gillibrand Campaign Event in Keene, NH
"Folks, I don't know if you've heard, but New York City Mayor Eric Adams has been talking about me recently. *Audience laughs* Although Eric has tried to paint himself as a progressive, it's become clear through his remarks, that he has a fragile masculinity and is willing to make sexist attacks against his opponents in order to advance his own career. He said about me "She talks a lot about everything, but that's all she does, and it's hard to follow what she even has to say." Women in this country fought for centuries for the right to vote, and are still having to fight today for the right to be paid equally, respected, as well as for our own safety. How can Mayor Adams say this? He's painted women as blabbering useless entities. I, for one, refuse to accept this. I demand that Mayor Adams apologize immediatly, not to me but to the women of America. As women, we demand respect. As a candidate for President of the United States, I demand respect! I have fought my way to get here, and I am not going to let someone demean me with sexist and baseless attacks. This is a sad reality as it's one that millions of women in the United States and across the world face today. I'm no stranger to gender-based discrimination, but it's time that we get actual change. As President, I will close the gender pay gap, I will repeal the Hyde Amendment, I will codify Roe, and I will put women's issues at the forefront with the Family Bill of Rights."
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 11:18:27 AM »

Gillibrand Votes

Accessed via Imgur

Gillibrand cast an Aye vote on the following:
- Family Bill of Rights
- DISCLOSE Act
- Veteran's Health Bill

Gillibrand cast a Nay vote on the following:
- Stop the Censorship Act

Statements
Family Bill of Rights
Today I cast my vote to pass the Family Bill of Rights. My bill will rethink the ways we deal with women's healthcare in this country and push issues like these to the forefront of our system. I'm proud to be joined with so many other great Senators and Representatives, like Rep. Khanna who has sponsored this legislation in the House, to help pass this bill and send it to President Biden. I'm confident in its passage and look forward to a brighter, better future for America's women.

DISCLOSE Act
I just spoke to Senator Merkley, and I'm proud to have supported his bill. Bills like these are of great importance to ensuring that we have a fair, equitable, and safe America. I look forward to its passage and working on bills of this caliber in the future.

Veteran's Health Bill
Senator Sanders & Tillis did something truly great here. For too long our veterans have been left behind, and it's time that we stand up for them. The VA needs reform, and this bill will deliver it. I look forward to working on this issue further in the future.

Stop the Censorship Act
Look, the name of this bill may seem enticing to some, but here's the truth: this is a direct attack on American democracy, private business, and the American people. These people are claiming they're being censored and shut down, but in all reality this is not happening. Those who are being de-platformed have a history of domestic terrorism or were engaging in acts of treason like the January 6th riots. I support the 1st amendment and free speech, but I do not support this bill and its infringement on American democracy, business, and people.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 12:17:43 AM »

Gov. Healey backs Gillibrand: "A Fighter for Women"
Accessed via Imgur

I'm here today to endorse a great friend of mine and a fighter for the rights of women, LGBTQ+ Americans, and those who feel that something more can be done by the Government to help the American people. As Governor of Massachusetts over these past two years, we've been able to accomplish a lot in terms of advancing healthcare rights, gun control protections, LGBTQ+ rights, and strengthening our education system. To help take these fights to the national level, I see only one candidate in the field who has the guts to actually get things done that others are scared to do: Kirsten Gillibrand.

Kirsten Gillibrand has been a fighter her entire career. From the fields of upstate New York to the Senate Chamber in Washignton DC, she has done everything she can to help create an American in which everyone has the equal opportunity and ability to build a life for themselves. As President, she'll advance an agenda that strengthens the rights of American citizens, cuts the middle class in by lowering their taxes, and expand social services while working to stop climate change. I look forward to campaigning with her throughout the following months and helping send her to the White House come November of next year.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 01:57:14 AM »

Gillibrand Campaign Ad: Girls Can Do Anything
Aired in IA, NH, NV

Accessed via Imgur

"I'm 9 years old and I want to publish a book I wrote."

"Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman are two of my favorites 'cause they did a lot to try and make the world a better place, and I like documentaries and stuff."

"I know a lot about the people that are going to be and trying to be President, and I'm really excited that we're going to try to have a female President."

"I think it would be really great and it would inspire a lot of other people, and a lot of other girls, to be what they want to be, even if they're a little kid like me."

"Women have equal rights as men."

Kirsten talking to little girl: It says "Be Heard. Your voice matters. Love, Kirsten Gillibrand."

Kirsten: Turn around and say hi to your mom. Say hi to your Mommy.

Parent: The fact that she's shown an interest in coming out and hearing, really anybody speak, but especially a woman that has been so successful and wants to try to make this country a better place, I think is a great example for my daughters.

Other Parent: Kirsten Gillibrand not only inspires me, but she inspires my daughters and little girls across the United States to never stop fighting. I'm a first time voter, and I'm voting for Kirsten Gillibrand.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 10:52:40 PM »

Gillibrand Debate Responses

Accessed via Imgur

Opening Statement:
My name is Kirsten Gillibrand, I’m a candidate for President of the United States, and my story is probably like a lot of your’s. I’m from a rural town, I went to a regular high school with regular people, and I decided that something had to be done in order to change our country. Growing up in the era of Reaganomics, I saw firsthand the negative effects that these disastrous policies had on families. After college, I pursued a career in public serve and eventually ran for House of Representatives and then the U.S. Senate. Over my time in the Congress, I’ve proven that I can get things done under both parties. I won in a district where the number of farm animals outnumbered those of Democrats, and I’ve brought both Republicans and Democrats together to pass legislation that would cause effective and positive change. I’m running for President because I’ve been tested, and I know that I’m ready. As President, I’ll pass the biggest investment in stopping climate change that this world has ever seen, preserving our country for future generations. I’ll enshrine the right to abortion and women’s healthcare in our law, and I’ll pass common sense gun legislation to end the mass shootings going on across our country. I ask that you listen to me tonight and believe in me, our vision, and our future, because as we all know: Brave Wins.

Question 1:
Listen, immigrants built this nation and they continue to do so. From farm workers in California to coal miners in Ohio, immigrants have worked for this nation and built our economy in every single capacity. I stand with immigrants which is exactly why I pushed back against the Trump-era immigration restrictions in the Senate. I worked to enshrine protections for DACA children, I’ve pushed for a path to citizenship, and as President I will further these goals by granting amnesty to all illegal immigrants who came to this country looking for a better life. We all understand that not everyone that comes through our Southern Border has good intentions, which is exactly why I’ll increase the amount of technology and protection that we have at our border in a humane and efficient manner, not a wall that will stop absolutely no one from coming to our country. I recently met with a family in Nevada who talked to me about how they had to come to the U.S. illegally in order to obtain quality healthcare or else their mother, Rosa, would die from cancer. Rosa came to the U.S. and received that treatment. Because of this, she has been able to raise her 3 children and provide a life for them that never would’ve been possible in Mexico. This is the American dream. These are the success stories that I’m here to fight for. If you’re watching, and you have a story like Rosa’s or anyone else who has had to make extreme sacrifices: I am here for you. I will protect you. I will legislate for you. I will fight for you. We will offer asylum to any person who feels that they are in harm’s way and we will make the immigration system work for the people.

Question 2:
Crime is an issue that millions of Americans worry about on a daily basis, and honestly I’m right there with them. We all understand that we need to get dangerous criminals off of our streets, but we need to address the crime epidemic in a smart and efficient way which will protect our people while also following the Constitution. As President, I will legalize marijuana and commute the sentences of everyone who has gone to prison for marijuana consumption - this is Step 1 in creating a fair and equitable society which pushes for real criminals to go to jail rather than regular people. Additionally, I’ll work to end the death penalty and wrongful executions, something which has been needed in this country for centuries. We will further the funding of our FBI and CIA in order to make sure that suspected terrorists are caught in their tracks, never able to hurt our country like they did on 9/11. As President, I’ll nominate judges who have a judicial background and know the law to the greatest extent so that they can make proper and fair judgements. However, we cannot address crime in an unconstitutional and heinous manner like stop and frisk, which unfortunately some of the others on this stage supported. We will keep our country and streets safe and we will push for reform in our prison system, and yes, we will end cash bail.

Question 3:
I am the only candidate on this stage who has released a comprehensive and detailed plan to preserve the right to abortion and women’s healthcare - that should answer a lot of your questions. My Family Bill of Rights, which is up for vote in the Congress at the moment, would be the biggest revamping of individual protections and would save the lives of millions of women in the United States. I have always fought for the right to abortion, I have literally spoken in front of the Supreme Court to defend it. I hammered judges like Brett Kavanaugh on it, and as President I will keep my commitment to the women of this country by upholding their rights. When it comes to LGBTQ+ people, this country has fallen massively behind other developed nations in ensuring their equal protection. Hate crimes still exist and I’m not afraid to say it. As President, I will not dodge media questions and simply offer thoughts and prayers when it comes to tragedies like the one we saw in Orlando, I will fight for justice and won’t stop until we get it. LGBTQ+ and female Americans can trust me, and I’m the only candidate on this stage who has provided real plans to help them.

Question 4:
I have extreme faith in democracy and I rebuke anyone who questions the legitimacy of our elections. We saw our democracy come under attack on January 6th, 2021 and I refuse to allow our nation to fall down that dark path once again. The era of Trump is over, and it’s time that we restore humility and honor to our country. I’ve worked as a poll worker in upstate New York. I know the process, and I know the sacrifices and commitments that our poll workers make in order to help run our democracy. As President, I will further strengthen our electoral process by investing into the FEC, work to upgrade our voting systems, and protect our nation’s democracy. Additionally, I will work to make strategic alliances with countries that are actually interested in working with the United States for positive change. Nations like Saudi Arabia may have oil, but they refuse to acknowledge the rights of women, their law still states homosexuality is illegal, and they have no problem harming Americans or other foreigners. We need to reconsider our relationship and make partnerships, including trade deals, with countries that share our interests and don’t violate human rights.

Question 5:
* Raises hand * The gun violence in our country has left thousands of children dead and as President I will launch a voluntary buyback program to end these heinous attacks.

Question 6:
Listen, I talked about Mr. Adams comments amount to me because, no matter what he wants to say, they were sexist. For centuries in this country and across the world women have been painted in a negative light for doing the same thing that men have done. Want to get paid equally? You’re greedy. Want to speak your mind? You don’t know what you’re talking about, leave it to the men. And I’m sick and tired of it. I have fought night and day during my career for women to be on the frontlines of the fight, and I’m not stopping. Whether Mr. Adams is or is not a sexist is up to him, but I refused to be talked to in a degrading manner as I was, and his comments were sexist. We need a President who will fight for all Americans and that’s what I’m going to do, WITHOUT hurting or invoking hatred against others.

Closing Statement:
I want to thank Jake Tapper and the great state of South Carolina for hosting us tonight. Folks, as Democrats you’ll be making an important decision coming soon about the type of Democratic Party, and presidential candidate, you want. I have spent my life fighting for the rights of American citizens, especially those who have felt that the Government hasn’t worked for them. I have been on the picket line, striking with workers from unions like the Teamsters, SEIU, AFL-CIO, and many more. I have gone to the border and saw firsthand the mismanagement, which is exactly why I’ve worked to fix this crisis in the Senate. I’ve gone on foreign visits and seen the potential that our country has to make lasting, strategic relationships with other countries. I’ve worked as a volunteer to defend Planned Parenthood centers from anti-abortion harassment, and yes, I have worked to cement a women’s right to choose in the U.S. law. I’ve got a record of tested leadership, and I have worked throughout my time in the House and Senate to make an America where everyone has the equal opportunity to succeed, but no one has an unfair disadvantage to fail. As President, I will continue this fight by working with Republicans and Democrats to create a nation that we can all be proud of. I’m a daughter and a granddaughter of Americans who have pulled themselves up from their bootstraps. As your President, I’ll make you proud, and we will show the world that America is not only back, but we are brave. Thank you.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 01:01:36 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 01:58:42 AM by McGovernite »

Gillibrand Hits Hard in the Granite, Other Key Early States: Campaign Schedule

Accessed via Imgur

New England Autumn: October
Senator Gillibrand, in the month of October, launched an autumn tour of New England in the states of Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York City. During this tour, she used her tour bus to criss-cross the region, inviting supporters on, taking children for rides, and being the location of many campaign strategy meetings. Additionally, Gillibrand hit major universities, community centers, recreational areas, and senior living homes during this tour. She spent the majority of her time in New Hampshire during this tour, visiting all 10 counties multiple times. She campaigned with Governor Maura Healey during most of this tour, and privately courted the endorsement of Former Governor John Lynch who would announce his support later in the year. Focusing on her New England outreach, she also launched multiple social media ads, radio ads, and appeared on local news stations answering questions and connecting with broadcasters and voters. Gillibrand has spent the majority of her time in New England during this campaign, earning her the nickname of “New England’s Favorite Daughter” by many community leaders. When asked her opinion on the nickname she said, “New England is the best part of this country, and if that’s what they want to call me, I’ll proudly serve in that capacity, but they will hopefully allow me to serve in another capacity as President!” She hit it off with the crowds, took pictures with babies, high fived teenagers, comforted crying mothers, and made special inroads with the LGBTQ+ community at drag and pride events. Attending functions like Boston LGBTQ+ parades, she made connections and helped push her pro-LGBTQ+ agenda and spoke publicly about her plans to further the rights of LGBTQ+ Americans when it comes to adoption, marriage, and anti-hate crime laws. As she departed New England in late October with an event in Keene, NH she promised to return soon - a vow which was definitely not broken.

Accessed via Imgur

Swinging for Super Tuesday: November
In the month of November Senator Gillibrand took a break from campaigning in the earliest states to hit states like Virginia, Texas, California, Minnesota, Colorado, and North Carolina. The campaign has placed a lot of emphasis in building a nationwide ground game, recruiting high profile endorsers like Rep. Jennifer Wexton in order to appeal to the suburban populations in these states - a demographic which the Gillibrand campaign has hit very hard (especially suburban women). She held town halls, rallies, meet and greets, and attended local festivals to meet with voters and families across the United States. Her main talking points hit on healthcare, abortion rights, gun safety, and climate change - all very important issues in the evergrowing American suburbs. Although Senator Gillibrand largely focused her campaign in a positive light, she did make a few digs at other candidates on important issues, working to move those who were undecided towards her column.

Another issue she hit hard on was that of her Family Bill of Rights. In order to drive home the message of the Senator being an effective legislator, she held rallies across these states to get constituents to pressure their legislators to vote for the bill. In some states like California, upwards of 5,000 people attended these events, mostly held in smaller-sized convention halls and outside parks. The issue of healthcare is extremely important, especially to women and LGBTQ+ Americans, two groups which Gillibrand has consistently courted throughout the course of her campaign. Taking a break from the trail, Gillibrand would attend sporting events in these states and take selfies with anyone that wanted one, earning her a lot of praise online. Additionally, she appeared in the tabloids after taking a picture with Denver Broncos football star Justin Simmons, who later that night tweeted the photo with the caption:

“As a football player, I know how tough it is getting tackled and beat up. A bright side, though, was meeting my future President tonight on the field after our win over the Chargers.”

Accessed via Imgur

The Weather Outside is Frightful: December
In the month of December, Gillibrand split her time between the states of New Hampshire and Massachusetts. During the first half of the month, she campaigned in New Hampshire with Governor Maura Healey and Former Governor John Lynch. Former Governor Lynch endorsed Gillibrand at an event in Nashua, NH within the first few days of December. During his speech, he said the following about the Senator:

“Kirsten Gillibrand has a proven record of fighting for progressive values, bridging the gaps between Americans, and joining together with others to get things done. During my term as Governor, I had the honor of frequently speaking with Senator Gillibrand to coordinate her federal efforts to make states like New Hampshire greater, better, and stronger. Today, I’m proud to endorse Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s candidate for President of the United States. She’s got the record, she’s got the plans, she just needs your vote. I’m asking the great citizens of New Hampshire, and the United States, to trust me and my judgment, just as you did for me the three times that you elected me to represent you as Governor. Kirsten Gillibrand is brave, and she’s what we need to build a country that we can be proud of.”

Touring with Governor Lynch, Senator Gillibrand was welcomed by thousands of people at nearly every event she hosted or attended while in the Granite State. Gillibrand was continuing to further her name recognition and brand in New Hampshire, marking the Northeast as “Gillibrand Territory.” This strategy came after the campaign agreed that investing in South Carolina would be useless to the campaign. They removed all staffers, ads, and offices from the Palmetto State and invested it back into New Hampshire. Senator Gillibrand was on the move, and no one could stop her.

Making strides in appealing to voters, Gillibrand also hit hard on her plan to phase out dangerous and addictive opioids in order to protect New Hampshire families. She appeared with multiple families of victims who had suffered from opioid-related death. Pushing for them to be avenged, the Senator made her policy a key part of her strategy and speeches.

Accessed via Imgur

During the latter half of December, Senator Gillibrand barnstormed the state of Massachusetts. Attending festivals, town halls, rallies, voter registration drives, and knocking doors, the Bay State was becoming accustomed to seeing Kirsten Gillibrand. To help in name recognition efforts, the campaign invested in large highway billboards and signs to reach rural voters. In cities like Boston and Amherst, the campaign opened up campaign offices, pushed TV and radio ads, and had a constant influx of volunteers knocking doors, getting people committed to vote, and meeting with voters (especially union voters). Senator Gillibrand strutted Governor Healey around at every campaign event while in the state. Senator Gilibrand also went on multiple local TV and radio stations to answer questions, push her message, and convince voters to come to her side. She utilized much of her campaign’s talent to build a decisively-amazing ground game which rivaled that of big players like Vice President Harris or Former Vice President Gore. Pushing for her Northeast strategy, the Senator furthered her barnstorm of the Bay State.

Accessed via Imgur

Closing In: January
Throughout the month of January, Gillibrand continued her 10 County Tour of New Hampshire being joined by Governor Maura Healey, Former Governor John Lynch, and local Democratic party leaders, union leaders, and activists. During these events, Gillibrand often barnstormed rural areas by touring farms, meeting farm workers, and speaking about her policy to support Rural America, end the trade wars that are hurting American food production, and push for greater subsidies for farmers. These policies gained a lot of support in rural areas throughout New Hampshire as farmers began attending her rallies in droves, putting up signs on their barns (as pictured below), and inviting the Senator to Farmer’s Market events. In the more suburban areas of New Hampshire, Gillibrand met with school teachers, nurses, office workers, and stay at home moms to talk about her healthcare, abortion, gun safety, and environmental plans. Gillibrand’s campaign is relying heavily on support from suburban and urban areas, especially from women in these areas. As she crossed the state, the campaign built an effective ground game and had a constant flow of supporters, volunteers, and campaign staff knocking on doors, putting up signs at businesses, and getting people committed to vote. Moving into February, Gillibrand wrapped up her bus tour in Nashua, NH where she held an event of almost 4,000 people at a local park. At this speech, she said:

“Over the course of this past month and a half, we have criss-crossed this state. We have met people from towns of 10 to towns of 100,000. It’s been my honor to hear so much about you, your families, and your story. New Hampshire, I know that you are looking for a fighter. Someone who will never compromise their values and will work for people like you who are simply trying to achieve the American Dream. As President, I will fight for progressive, unwavering values which will advance an agenda that actually puts Americans first, makes corporations and the rich pay their fair share, and build a social safety net rivaled only by that of the New Deal. I hope that you’ve gotten to know me as I’ve gotten to know you, and that you will vote for me in a few short days. Let’s do this New Hampshire!”

Accessed via Imgur

The Coming: Early February
In the leadup to the the first primaries, Senator Gillibrand hit the cities of Nashua, Keene, Portsmouth, and Manchester. In these cities, she appeared at multiple speaking events at colleges in order to court greater amounts of youth vote. The Gillibrand campaign’s New Hampshire strategy has said that youth voters are very important to their success in the state which is why the Senator has made such a point of connecting with them, getting them registered, and making the issues of healthcare, abortion, student debt, and environmentalism big points in her campaign for President. In addition to these speaking events, the ground team in these areas knocked over 30,000 doors in a 4-day period and put up signs at polling places across New Hampshire, getting name recognition up. Additionally, the precinct leaders for the campaign have all been meeting over the past week to ensure that everything runs properly and that every single person is being reached out to and that they’re getting as many voters out to vote as needed (including mass bussing efforts to get seniors out to vote). The ground game has been implemented, and now it’s time to be tested. If she can pull off a victory, or even land in the top 5 candidates, the “Gillibrand Experiment” will be a political strategy that candidates will implement for years to come.

Accessed via Imgur
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2023, 01:29:03 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2023, 01:44:16 AM by McGovernite »

Gillibrand Campaign Ad: New Hampshire Fights

Accessed via Imgur

So, do you want a good day care to go to when you turn five?
"Yeah"
And do you want it to be affordable to your mommy and daddy?
"Yeah"

I definitely think that she'll fight for me and my family.

Oh she's beautiful and I love the name. Oh and she likes to be picked up!

"Often, I feel like when we have, quite frankly, old men in office, who have never had to change a diaper, they don't really understand the needs of moms, and especially working moms."

I will go through fire to do what's right. I will bring the country back together again. And I will get things done for the American people.

It's really important that people know that their voice matters.

I'm running because we need equality, good healthcare, ending the opioid epidemic, good schools, and a Government that actually represents the country. We've got to do it, guys.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2023, 01:34:09 AM »

Senator Gillibrand Announces Groundbreaking Fabric Act To Reinvigorate The Garment Industry, Strengthen Garment Workers’ Rights, Drive Wage Growth And Promote Equity
Accessed via Imgur

(FABRIC) Act. Garment workers are a cornerstone of the American economy and, for far too long, have faced unsafe working conditions, wage theft, and piecework pay, which often prioritizes fast fashion over the safety of workers. Supply chain disruptions caused by the pandemic have only exacerbated these ongoing issues, which are disproportionately shouldered by women, people of color, and immigrant workers. Gillibrand’s FABRIC Act would protect nearly 100,000 American garment workers and help revitalize the garment industry in the United States by improving working conditions and reforming the piece-rate pay scale. Women are leaders in the cut-and-sew apparel manufacturing industry, making up 61% of workers, and following heavy job losses for women during the pandemic, we need to invest in them and this crucial industry.

The FABRIC Act proposes to address these issues through five central pillars:

1. Restructuring pay rates and providing minimum wage as a floor with productivity incentives on top.
2. Establishing new liability measures that compel major retailers to become allies in combating workplace violations.
3. Introducing recordkeeping and transparency measures.
4. Incentivizing reshoring.
5. Creating a domestic garment manufacturing grant program aimed at revitalizing the industry.
Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and Cory Booker (D-NJ) are original cosponsors of the FABRIC Act.

What People Said:

“It’s time to take bold action at the federal level to change the fabric of the American garment manufacturing industry. The United States was once home to a booming  apparel manufacturing industry, and it’s time to reexamine how this industry has evolved over the past 50 years and change how we treat our workers,” said Senator Gillibrand. “From designers to managers to workers, women overwhelmingly play a leading role in this important industry. However, garment workers in the United States are often underpaid, overworked, and put in unsafe conditions. Protecting the garment workforce is a sustainability issue and has direct impacts on environmental sustainability, community development, gender equality and economic prosperity. This legislation would thread the needle of protecting workers’ rights, putting an end to abusive pay rates, and ensuring equitable compensation for garment workers, while also making historic investments in domestic garment manufacturing so we can not only make American, but buy American.”

“The FABRIC Act supports growth, training, and reinvestment in our industry. As a domestic manufacturer, it would create vital programs to expand our unionized workforce as well as innovate using advanced machinery to modernize our prestigious trade,” said Gabrielle Ferrara, COO Ferrara Manufacturing.

“I founded my namesake clothing brand over 22 years ago, yet it was only in 2015 that I hit a “change or shut down” moment after realizing the real extent of the industry’s negative impact. We chose to change and began shifting our manufacturing processes, advocating further for racial equity and justice in the industry, began digging into our supply chain and scrutinizing labor practices that existed. The FABRIC ACT is needed to enforce brands’ accountability for the industry’s past, responsibility for its present, and offers proactive measures for its future. Garment workers are the heartbeat of this industry and need our collective support. If you’re a brand still questioning where you stand, I ask you: without garment workers, would you still even be standing?” said Mara Hoffman, Designer.

"Workers United is proud to endorse the FABRIC Act, which establishes important liability requirements to hold fashion brands and retailers accountable for the labor practices of their US contractors.  This provision, and the establishment of a minimum wage floor, will help ensure that jobs in the US garment industry are good jobs with dignity and respect,"  said Edgar Romney, Secretary-Treasurer, Workers United-SEIU.

“The FABRIC Act is so exciting to me as a garment worker because at its heart are protections for workers' hard-earned wages, protections we recently gained in California.  To see these protections go nationwide, and have incentives to encourage manufacturing in the US, would be life-changing for so many workers and the industry as a whole," said Teresa Garcia, member leader of the Garment Worker Center.

“Remake is pleased to endorse the FABRIC Act that assures jobs of dignity for the 95,000 hardworking American garment workers. With a 30% reshoring tax credit and $40MM grant program, the FABRIC Act provides the right incentives to support good manufacturing jobs right here at home. Now’s the time for factories and colleagues from both sides of the aisle to support this timely bill that captures the demand for reshoring to do right by American workers,” said Remake CEO, Ayesha Barenblat.

"The fashion industry is in need of a serious systemic overhaul, and as a brand, it’s our responsibility to help create safe, healthy, and equitable working conditions for the workers throughout our supply chain. We’re energized to see the progress made by landmark legislation like California’s SB62, but there’s much more work to be done. With that, we are proud to support the FABRIC Act and build on these efforts of raising the workplace protection standards at a national level. This bill has the potential to realize ethical working conditions and the wellbeing of garment workers across the U.S., with impacts far beyond," said Carrie Freiman Parry, Reformation's Senior Director of Sustainability.

“We support and fully endorse the FABRIC Act and like California’s recent Garment Worker Protection Act, it has the potential to rectify current loopholes within the fashion industry and positively impact garment workers across the country and redeem the meaning of Made in USA,” said Sanjeev Bahl, Founder and CEO of Saitex.

“Senator Gillibrand’s FABRIC Act will reinvigorate the garment industry in the U.S. by strengthening garment workers’ rights and driving wage growth, while promoting equity. It’s time that industry leaders understand the financial and business risks associated with unsafe working conditions and shoddy labor contracts, as well as rapidly-shifting and widespread cultural values. The benefits of regulation that will reform the piece-rate pay scale and champion workplace well-being amount to customer satisfaction. At the NYFWDC, we recognize that regulation and reform will ultimately lead to a more prosperous and sustainable fashion industry by which skilled workers are treated with dignity, worker retention is achieved through improved conditions, and industry ethics are attuned and align with an increasing consumer demand for justice,” said Ibada Wadud, founding member of the New York Fashion Workforce Development Coalition and Governance Board member.

"Custom Collaborative welcomes this bill as an advancement toward fair labor conditions and compensation in the US fashion industry. Since its inception, our organization has trained no/low income and immigrant women with the skills necessary to achieve economic success in sustainable fashion and beyond. As we assisted on this legislation, we requested that the bill include funding for nonprofits to train people. We hope that this legislation will continue to shape the fashion industry as a healthy and collaborative environment," said Ngozi Okaro, Executive Director & Founder, Custom Collaborative; Founding Member of New York Fashion Workforce Development Coalition.

McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2023, 12:28:53 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2023, 12:35:22 PM by McGovernite »

Gillibrand Ad: Imagine
Aired In: NH, NV, VA, PA, MA

Imagine an America where harmony displaces hate.

That protects our planet.

That provides healthcare for everyone.

An America where all places are safe spaces.

Where morality overrides money.

Power is restored to the people.

Imagine a leader driven by compassion.

Someone that's brave enough to take on the impossible.

Someone who looks beyond herself to do what's best for us.
McGovernite
jakobisgood
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2023, 12:35:01 PM »

Gillibrand Unveils Major Mental Health Plan

My plan to tackle the mental health crisis in America
Transcending race, gender, age, religion, or life experience, mental health is a growing crisis in our country — and it has gone without sufficient attention, care or resources for too long. Antiquated stigma and systemic failures have kept millions of Americans from sharing their suffering with others, forcing them to struggle quietly.

One in five American adults is coping with a mental health condition and the mental health of our youth is in decline. This has debilitating everyday impacts for too many Americans. And with such limited access to mental health services, the untreated mental health problems of today can too often turn into the tragedies of tomorrow.

It’s all too clear that America is facing a mental health crisis, and it demands more than attention from our leaders — we need a real plan.

I’ve spoken to Americans across the country, and I’ve seen that we have to fundamentally change our mental and behavioral health system. This includes developing community-based treatments, expanding delivery systems, and ensuring true parity with insurance coverage for mental health treatment. We must strengthen our nation’s mental and behavioral health safety net by ensuring that policies address the communities most affected and hardest to reach. And we need mental and behavioral health systems that work for everyone.

If we truly believe that health care is a right and not a privilege, then access to quality mental health treatments cannot be up for debate. It’s time for mental health to be taken as seriously as physical health.

I’ve spent my career fighting these important fights and standing up for families just as I would my own. As president, I’ll deliver on this issue.

Here’s how I’ll get it done:
Reform treatments so they can work for everyone
Too many Americans struggle with inefficient and inadequate treatments or delivery systems. As president, I will fundamentally change the way we currently provide mental health treatments, and tailor different treatments to different communities. There isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution for mental health issues, so we should stop treating this issue like a monolith. My administration will invest in and account for different perspectives so that everyone has access to the treatments they need.

1. I will invest in a community-based approach to mental and behavioral health. We need a robust and aggressive expansion of our nation’s Community Health Centers, aimed at delivering high quality, cost-effective mental and behavioral health care. Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics (CCBHCs), which provide a comprehensive range of addiction and mental health services to vulnerable individuals, should be fully funded and supported. Community Health Centers continue to provide innovative, high-value health care and they are primed to deliver it in medically underserved communities across the nation.

Community-based approaches like the peer education model are not only cost-effective, but have also been shown to be more effective at reaching populations who find the information more credible coming from someone with a familiar background and who understands their communities and the issues they face.

2. I will make sure our health care system is responsive to the historical and cultural context that communities bring with them, and confront implicit bias in the medical system. Different communities face different barriers to seeking mental and behavioral health care. I will push providers to develop and promote alternative community-based options for treatment, so that patients are met where they are and with the treatment that works best for their needs, without obstacles or stigma.

Implicit biases in health care, especially mental and behavioral health care, disadvantage already vulnerable people. Health care providers must be trained to look out for and stop the ways in which our system has historically ignored or outright harmed communities and people of color.

I will also make sure our health care system overcomes implicit bias toward individuals facing poverty, sexual minorities, children, mothers (particularly new mothers), the elderly, the overweight, and people with disabilities. Every patient deserves respect from their health care practitioners and that respect must inform a new approach to mental and behavioral health treatment and effective services beyond traditional therapy.

3. We must expand reimbursement for mental health services for non-traditional treatments such as peer-support and alternative therapies. Cultural support can provide a gateway to other support systems. That’s why I will embrace non-traditional treatment and prevention strategies such as the peer education model, which is cost-effective, and connects those seeking treatment with a peer who understands their background and brings with them significant credibility. As president, I will make sure these non-traditional treatments are given proper reimbursement rates as well, so that high costs aren’t barriers to those looking for help.

A perfect example of this within the Latino community is the use of promotoras. Promotoras are generally people from hard-to-reach populations who act as bridges between their community and the complicated world of health care. They learn about health care principles from doctors or non-profit groups, and share their knowledge with their communities. I will make a point to encourage these localized programs and provide them with the support they need to be maintained and expanded.

Personalize the way we deliver mental health care

It’s important to reform our mental health treatments, but that alone isn’t enough to tackle this crisis. As president, I will go further to specifically address the barriers that either make it too hard or outright prevent Americans from accessing the mental health care they need. Every community is different, which is why I will invest in solutions that make health care more accessible for all Americans, regardless of who they are or where they’re from.

1. We need a mental and behavioral health system designed for and informed by young people. The world my sons are growing up in now is so different than the one where I was raised. Young people are more connected and engaged than ever, but that comes with costs. It never once occurred to me growing up that someone with a gun might walk into my school and open fire.

We can’t ignore the ways in which our young people suffer, so as president, I will invest in a trauma-informed mental health system that embraces young people’s preference for peer-based support and support from adults from their own communities with shared experiences. And I will make sure that young adults in low-income communities have the same access to these opportunities.

I will fund and expand School-Based Health Centers (SBHCs), which are important providers of mental health services for young people. SBHCs help children and adolescents nationwide receive primary, preventive, and mental and behavioral health care and health education in a convenient, high-quality, and efficient manner.

I will also pair school-based mental health services with investment and comprehensive school climate reform. School systems can leverage opportunities in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) to hold schools accountable for school climate as a key, non-academic quality indicator. ESSA also offers funding opportunities for low-income schools and schools in need of improvement to leverage resources for support including mental health services.

By changing the way in which we deliver mental health care, we have the opportunity to change norms and beliefs about these types of services for young people who may otherwise not be suited for traditional, institutional care models.

2. I will improve mental and behavioral health care access for rural Americans and improve rural workforce programs and supports such as the National Health Service Corps (NHSC), which places primary health care providers in our nation’s most underserved rural communities.

No one should have to suffer because there just isn’t access to any treatment near them. In America’s rural communities, young people in particular face too many barriers to health care already, and it is unacceptable that so many are being discouraged from receiving treatment because of who they are or what they believe. Our LGBTQ+ youth are so often discouraged from getting treatment or forcefully isolated because of where they live.

Right now, there’s only a small amount of spending for all rural health discretionary programs, but it already plays a critical role in solidifying the fragile health care infrastructure in rural communities. As president, I will continue supporting government policies that improve rural health outcomes and strengthen care delivery.

To provide long-term solutions for the lack of health care access in rural areas, the best thing we can do is invest in future physicians, doctors, therapists, and other mental and behavioral health care providers in rural places. So, I will also support programs that further develop our national health care workforce, such as the Rural Physician Training Grant program, the Targeted Support for Graduate Medical Education program, and Area Health Education Centers, which plays a critical role in addressing the health care workforce shortage. And I’d invest in the Office for Advancement of Telehealth (OAT) to make health care more accessible for all and to give people privacy as they receive treatment.

Require insurance coverage of mental and behavioral health

If we truly believe that mental and behavioral health are just as important as physical health, then our insurance coverage and reimbursements must reflect that. As president, I will ensure true parity implementation with robust oversight and consequential enforcement. Treating mental wellbeing shouldn’t only be something available to the wealthy, but insurance companies’ failure to appropriately cover these treatments acts as a barrier to millions who can’t afford the treatments they need.

1. Create accountability measures for mental and behavioral health care providers. It shouldn’t be difficult for Americans to get coverage for the treatments they need, but that’s what has happened with our current for-profit system. A watchdog would give all Americans access to oversight measures so that insurance companies are held accountable if they fail to provide coverage or reimbursements.

A watchdog program would also educate individuals and families on their legal rights to insurance coverage for mental and behavioral health services, resolve complaints when care is denied, and identify areas where insurers may have an inadequate network of treatment programs and providers.

2. Secure financing methods for mental health service improvements through insurance. If we expand what is covered under our current health care system as a part of a broader overhaul and expansion of our mental health services, overall costs will go down as fewer emergencies arise.

As president, I’ll also invest in areas like community case management, transportation, rehabilitation-recovery services, and job training to make overall and long-standing improvements to our system and create a fully coordinated system.

I’ll also further invest in suicide prevention efforts for young people, with a renewed focus on college campuses and adults 25 and older, and LGBTQ people. LGB kids are almost five times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers, and bullying or abuse of LGBTQ kids is directly and dramatically correlated with self-harm. I will increase funding and access to mental health services for LGBTQ youth, and I will innovate and invest in broad suicide prevention efforts that focus on scaling in small and hard-to-reach communities.

3. Pass Medicare for All and preserve and expand successful mental health programs. One of the best ways for us to ensure that everyone has the coverage for mental and behavioral health care is to provide universal health care. I’ve supported Medicare for all since 2006 because for over a decade I’ve witnessed the worry and fear and impossible choices that come from our for-profit insurance industry. As president, I will pass Medicare for All and I will make sure that everyone has the care they need and the coverage they deserve.

I’ll also start to immediately incorporate a wellness framework into what is considered a “medical necessity” and “health care,” with ample opportunities for state and federal reimbursement. And I’ll preserve and expand existing Medicaid programs, like the Community Mental Health Services Demonstration Program, that improve mental health coverage for low-income adults.

On the campaign trail, I hear a lot about mental wellbeing. I hear it from the grandparents in New Hampshire who have taken their grandchild in now that their daughter passed away from Substance Use Disorder. I hear it from kids scared to go to school in case there’s a mass shooting. I hear it from health care providers in Iowa who don’t have access to the resources they need.

There is not one family in this country that isn’t concerned about mental health to some extent. But for all of these conversations I’ve had, they’re almost always whispered. People are too afraid of the stigma to voice them loudly. As president, I will break down those barriers.

I will make sure everyone across the country knows and sees that mental health care is real health care. I will increase access to care, fight stigma and change the way people perceive mental health care, and then provide resources for communities to invest in solutions that are already working.

Together, we can spark a fundamental shift in our country that will make us all more understanding, compassionate, and healthy in every sense of the word. That’s a world that I want to live in, and as president, I’ll get it done.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies