What Comes After: A 2024 Game (Signup/Discussion)

(1/86) > >>

KaiserDave:

[1]

Everything was coming up Joe. "Dark Brandon" they were calling him, turning that right-wing insult into a pro-Biden internet meme. Somehow, despite 8% inflation, despite poor approval numbers, despite a supply chain crisis and high gas prices, the Democrats had had the best midterm showing of Joe's political career. Trump's host of hand-picked candidates went down in almost every single race they contested, dozens of Republicans went into election night sure of victory and went to sleep shocked and defeated. The Republicans took the House, by the skin of their teeth, but lost a seat in the Senate, with Raphael Warnock winning his December runoff with relative ease. Trump's haphazard campaign rollout was a quixotic mess, with the former President aging and making wild pronouncements of terminating the constitution online. Now gas prices were going down, and despite Kyrsten Sinema's antics in the U.S. Senate, Biden was more sure of his position than ever.

Despite all this, he wasn't sure whether he could go for another campaign. He sure as heck loved being President, but another two years of campaigning at his age? He wasn't so sure. Another two years of Republicans taking the attack to his son Hunter and vigorous campaigning, more so to show his vitality at his old age. The DNC had arranged an advantageous primary calendar to ward off any challengers but none were expected. Joe was still dithering though. He knew one thing, that if Donald Trump was the Republican nominee, as he expected, he would have to be there to send him packing again, God-willing one final time.

This is why the phone-call he was about to receive was so important. Biden was currently flying high among the clouds, returning from meetings with Albanese, Ardern, and Widodo.

"Sir, it's the Attorney General." National Security Jake Sullivan handed the phone to the President. Biden furrowed his brow and took the phone to hear from Merrick Garland.

"Mr. President, it's my duty to inform you that tomorrow morning the Justice Department will be bringing forth several criminal indictments against Former President Donald J. Trump."

Biden looked out into the high heavens, and listened quietly as the Attorney General listed the details. Wasn't this something else...

BREAKING: Donald J. Trump indicted on 4 counts of Improper retention of national defense information, 3 counts of mishandling & concealment of federal records, 2 counts of obstruction of justice...
CNN, December 12, 2022

Communism has come to America! The Biden regime is trying to send me to prison because I BEAT HIM and I will BEAT HIM again! Disturbing!
@realDonaldTrump, Truth Social, December 12, 2022

I have the best lawyers! I have the best people. If the Biden regime thinks they can send me to prison they have another thing coming! I WANT JUSTICE!
@realDonaldTrump, Truth Social, December 12, 2022

JEWISH PEOPLE are trying to send Donald Trump to prison because he THINKS ON HIS OWN. I might be next..
@kanyewest, Instagram, December 12, 2022

"We need to start killing people, now. If we lose Trump we lose our nation and we lose our race forever."
Nick Fuentes, America First Livestream, December 12, 2022

“The special counsel today, as you’re all already aware, announced the indictment of my predecessor. Obviously, the legal proceedings, the pre-trial matters and then a trial will take some time, and my job, my duty, is to respect the DOJ’s honor, its integrity, its independence, so all I can say is this: in our system of law, every defendant is entitled to a presumption of innocence, every defendant is entitled to due process and a fair trial, to fair representation, and due process working its course. That process is gonna take some time, so let’s be respectful of that; from here on out, all questions you have for me on this should be referred to the special counsel, DoJ, and personal attorneys actually involved on the case.”
Biden in Press Conference, December 12, 2022

Inside the Uber-Professional Team of Lawyers Prosecuting Donald Trump
The New York Times, December 12, 2022

Rumor: Southern District of New York preparing tax-related Trump indictments
Yahoo! News, December 13, 2022

"Hardly appropriate to nominate someone as erratic as Donald Trump for President given the latest information"
Mitch McConnell, per Manu Raju, December 13, 2022

McDaniel OUT: RNC Chairwoman Resigns
The Hill, December 14, 2022

Half of Trump Campaign Leadership Team Calls it Quits
The Huffington Post, December 15, 2022

So many WEAK, PATHETIC people. I am going nowhere!
@realDonaldTrump, Truth Social, December 16, 2022

IT'S OVER! Go AWAY, World says to Trump
Cover of The New York Post, December 17, 2022

James drops BOMB: 6 counts of tax related indictments
Slate, December 19, 2022

New York Attorney General brings forth 6 Tax Fraud Indictments against Trump
CNN, December 19, 2022

"It is over man! Get off the stage!"
Stuart Varney live on FOX, December 19, 2022

TEMPORARILY suspending campaign to fight BULLsh**t Biden regime charges! I will win and I will be President!
@realDonaldTrump, Truth Social, December 20, 2022

Trump Campaign Quietly Closes Up Shop: Most of Staff Quitting
The New York Times, December 21, 2022

"It's a blessed day isn't it folks! Merry Christmas!"
Biden to press gaggle outside of White House, December 22, 2022

REPORT: Biden won't run, health problems and more more Trump
The Hill, December 24, 2022

Nobody wants to be Trump's Lawyer
The Huffington Post, December 26, 2022

"It's important that we never forget who this happened, who caused it, and how we must never let it happen again.
Biden in Presidential Address, 1-Year Anniversary of 1/6 Riot, January 6, 2023

BREAKING: BIDEN OUT OF 2024
CNN, January 8th, 2023

"It's time to pass the torch to the next generation of American leaders...I'm so proud of this team, these last two years, and what we've yet to do."
Biden in White House Press Conference, January 8th, 2023

Biden denies health problems, Hunter Biden laptop as reasons for not running
FOX News, January 8th, 2023

Trump Exit Front and Center in Biden Decision-making: Source
NBC News, January 8th, 2023

"The President will not make any endorsement in the coming Democratic primary."
Karine Jean-Pierre, January 9th, 2023

Harris, Whitmer, Pritzker, and more, top Democrats quickly gearing up to go for 2024
538, January 10th, 2023

Leading Republicans preparing 2024 bids, in defiance of Trump
The New York Times, January 11th, 2023

Welcome to What Comes After! A 2024 Presidential election game. We haven't had a well-run, long version of this in a while, I'm dedicated to change that. I pledge to run this actively and competently, if you pledge your own activity. Together we can all have good fun. I'm aware that getting rid of Trump and Biden is fairly contrived but there's simply no other way of having a fair and fun 2024 bout. All this said, I'm looking forward to this game immensely.

The mechanics of this game will be somewhat similar to my long-ago Congressional game East of the Merrimack with endorsements (not on demand!) and news stories but there will also be further reforms. For this game to be successful I think we need radical changes to what one usually expects from an election game.

I've done this in the past with history games and I'm prepared to do it again. I think the traditional style of posting schedules on your candidates activity has some merit, but I often find that it encourages stagnancy and boredom more than exciting play. Posting how you did a rally in Iowa again and again should not be rewarded, and I don't find its all that fun for the players. That's not to say you can't post schedules if you should wish, but your posts should be based on crafting a message, and marketing that message to voters. I should like to see more well rounded paragraphs on strategy, messaging, and campaign activities. How your campaign is using its resources, how it is trying to reach voters. I find writing on how a campaign is appealing to different party factions or might be using digital ads or local radio to reach a specific subset of voters more interesting than just posting a bullet point list of barnstorming New Hampshire yet again. Posting specific campaign events is fine, but they should show something about your candidate and their campaign that we didn't already know. That said, this game will depend on your creativity and skill. Those whose campaigns craft strong messages and market it in a strong and innovative way will be rewarded. Schedules are fine but they shouldn't be the be all end all and they aren't required.

There will be news stories you are expected to react to, this is not a game where you just post your schedules and the occasional speech in a vacuum, you will need to react to the world around you. Senators will have to take key votes, Governors veto or sign key bills. You will have to stake positions in places other than debates. There will be debates, but I will try to avoid endless back and forth, that soaks up time pointlessly. And if it is not clear, all events up to RL Georgia runoff and Sinema defection are exactly the same as they are in real life. There will be news stories from the rest of the world and in the US. Also remember that Senators and Governors cannot spend all their time on the campaign trail, especially in the early stages.

I am going to provide a list of playable characters on each side of the aisle. For now these are the only available ones. There is a first tier that will be the first to be open and a second tier that will ONLY open if the first tiers are full. I will be granting characters not only on a first come, first serve basis, but I will take your record of gameplay into account. I'm serious about this.

With that all said, here are the rules, more information, and the characters. If you have any questions, post them here.

Rules

1. No Violating the Rules of this Blog

2. No Powergaming, Metagaming, etc.

3. Be polite please :) , rudeness ain't needed. Be considerate and kind towards your fellow players and blog posters.

4. Be reasonable and stick to realism. I will not permit total abrogations of character.

5. If you commit to playing a big role, please stay active, this is how everyone can have fun. Continued inactivity without any message or reasoning will result in NPC-ization of your character. Taking a big character if you know you can't deliver is not very nice. Please be active this goes for everyone.

6. No cheating, I don't know how you would but don't do it

7. Characters will be given out based on first come first serve, but I will take your record of gameplay into account as a serious factor. I will also take certain reservations that I have already been informed of by trusted players. There will be enough for everyone though, don't worry.

8. Have fun!

9. If you have any suggestions, please provide!

Available Characters

Democrats
First Tier
Vice President Kamala Devi Harris: John King Wannabe
Secretary of Transportation Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg: Carolyn
Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker: AFE
Michigan Governor Gretchen Esther Whitmer: Kuumo
California Governor Gavin Christopher Newsom: RGM2609
New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Beesley
California Congressman Ro Khanna: GotFan
New York Senator Kirsten Elizabeth Gillibrand: Jakobisgood
Second Tier
U.S. Senator for Oregon Jeffrey Alan Merkley: FalterinArc
New York City Mayor Eric Leroy Adams: Battista Minola
Colorado Governor Jared Schulz Polis:
North Carolina Governor Roy Asberry Cooper:

Republicans
First Tier
Florida Governor Ronald Dion DeSantis: S019
South Dakota Governor Kristi Lynn Noem: CentristRepublican
U.S. Senator for Missouri Joshua David Hawley: OldKyHome
Former Maryland Governor Lawrence "Larry" Joseph Hogan Jr.: Ishan
Virginia Governor Glenn Allen Youngkin: OBD
Former Vice President Michael Richard Pence: NYE
Political Consultant Roger Jason Stone: Spiral
Florida Congressman Matthew Louis Gaetz: Alcibiades
Businessman Michael James Lindell: Pink Panther
Former Secretary for Health and Human Services Benjamin Solomon Carson Sr.: Donerail
Media Personality Kari Ann Lake: DC
Lin Wood: VirginiaAaron
Second Tier
U.S. Senator for Kentucky Randal Howard Paul:
Former UN Ambassador and South Carolina Governor Nimrata "Nikki" Haley:
U.S. Senator for Florida Richard Lynn Scott:
Former Secretary of State Michael Richard Pompeo:

[1] Wikimedia Commons

S019:
Requesting DeSantis

oldkyhome:
This looks great! I'll take Hawley.