When should the military draft be used?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  When should the military draft be used?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Always, even in peacetime

Always during any and all wartimes

During wartimes above a certain level of importance

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: When should the military draft be used?  (Read 2206 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »

Option 4
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 06:18:54 PM »

Option 3 :

It should be used only for wars such as big as WW2 , civil wars and if you are being invaded
LBJer
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 07:44:51 PM »

I didn't vote because none of the options corresponds to my view.  The U.S. has never had a requirement for universal military service (unlike countries like Israel and South Korea), and I see no reason to institute it.  Both the current policy--an all-volunteer force--and the system used from 1940 to 1973, where some people were drafted every year (in both wartime and peacetime) in accordance with the needs of the moment, seem reasonable.  If both systems were judged to work more or less equally well, I would support keeping the all-volunteer force.  If reinstating conscription would allow the military to stay in much better shape than it currently is, I would support doing so, although I would say that women as well as men should be drafted. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 09:20:50 PM »

When we are attacked by a foreign military power on our own soil -and here I am referring exclusively to nation-states.  

While the death toll was comparable to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 did not require the reinstatement of the draft.  If they had been perpetrated by a nation-state instead of a non-state terrorist group however, my answer would have been very different.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 12:05:06 AM »

Maybe I could get behind it in some kind of extreme situation in a tiny country where they were being invaded and needed "all hands on deck". No reason a huge country like here needs to do it. It is obviously a massive human rights violation in any case.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 12:07:05 AM »

Only if we truly have no other options, but I don't think we'll ever reach that point due to the size of our active personnel and because the nature of the way modern wars are won has changed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 12:12:12 AM »

never

If a country in the US's position (huge population, excellent geographic location, etc) can't survive with the manpower that would volunteer to defend it, then it doesn't deserve to continue on.

Maybe the answer is different for small countries in precarious positions, but my answer is going to be "never" except maybe in the most extreme of circumstances.  If your country is worth defending, it should have plenty of people willing to kill and die for it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 08:04:09 AM »

I used to be option 4, but I would go with option 3 now. Being a citizen of a country carries with it a responsibility to that country, and this is an idea that is sadly forgotten these days. Reminding people of that responsibility would help ameliorate a lot of the political problems facing America these days. I digress though.
somerandomth
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 09:01:10 AM »

Hopefully never, but only realistically under extreme circumstances
LBJer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 12:58:11 AM »

I find it rather bizarre that on Atlas there's a lot more support for Donald Trump than for a military draft.  This just makes no sense whatsoever.  You can make a reasonable moral/philosophical argument for a draft.  You cannot make one for supporting Trump. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 02:22:44 AM »

I find it rather bizarre that on Atlas there's a lot more support for Donald Trump than for a military draft.  This just makes no sense whatsoever.  You can make a reasonable moral/philosophical argument for a draft.  You cannot make one for supporting Trump. 

95% of the Atlas community are 18-25 year old men, which is the exact group of people who are eligible to be drafted, so it doesn't really surprise me at all.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 04:10:42 AM »

I find it rather bizarre that on Atlas there's a lot more support for Donald Trump than for a military draft.  This just makes no sense whatsoever.  You can make a reasonable moral/philosophical argument for a draft.  You cannot make one for supporting Trump.  

Number 3 has a lot more support than Trump does here and number 3 is basically the status quo anyway.

The fundamental thing is we don't need a draft given how much the nature of warfare has changed including conventional wars. The US already has by far the strongest air force in the world which means we have the power to stop any major land invasion without really even using any ground troops to begin with given a nation cant invade another nation if the other side has control of the skies. We also have the world's strongest Navy so we should have the ability to stop sea invasions as well.

So why would we even need a draft now days as the fact is the nature of warfare has changed a lot.
oldkyhome
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 10:28:51 AM »

So long as the US is capable of MAD, probably never, but if we were to be attacked by another nation and nuclear war was avoidable, then yes, we should have a draft.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 07:05:32 PM »

Not sure there's really any moral argument for why forced labor is okay. As I noted in my post you sometimes have to do morally wrong things to survive in extreme situations but that's not a moral argument.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 07:07:40 PM »

95% of the Atlas community are 18-25 year old men, which is the exact group of people who are eligible to be drafted, so it doesn't really surprise me at all.

In almost every other circumstance if the group being harmed by a policy is against it that's used as an argument for why it's bad. Unless the group being hurt is young men in which case that's why you should support it, because **** them, amiright.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2022, 09:40:23 PM »

Basically only in a World War situation where you are facing an existential threat to the country coming from an enemy that is either directly attacking or is likely to directly attack the homeland if they're allowed to proceed. There really is no scenario like that in the modern day due to nukes existing.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 11:03:22 PM »

When the survival of our people is at stake
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 03:04:31 PM »

In almost every other circumstance if the group being harmed by a policy is against it that's used as an argument for why it's bad. Unless the group being hurt is young men in which case that's why you should support it, because **** them, amiright.

... You know that I'm a 24-year-old man, right?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 03:23:31 PM »

The US is so large it doesn't ever need a draft. Most countries that have conscription have understandable reasons.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2022, 11:02:24 PM »

imo if it ever got to the point that the military draft even should be used, we would all be WOVLERINES at that point anyway
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 04:25:44 PM »

When the homeland is under invasion, or under immediate credible threat of such.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 01:05:39 AM »

Always. Keeps young people healthy and drug free for 12 months.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 01:49:00 AM »

Never. There is no circumstance in which I would die "for my country".
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2023, 11:55:53 AM »

Tell that to the face of a Armed Forces vet and see how you will end up.
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2023, 12:18:43 PM »

Tell that to the face of a Armed Forces vet and see how you will end up.

I would be long gone before they'd get a chance to. I would not do it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies