2004 GOP Primaries if Gore won in 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:56:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  2004 GOP Primaries if Gore won in 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 2004 Republican Party presidential primaries
Arizona Sen. John McCain

Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee

fmr. NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani

Virginia Sen. George Allen

fmr. New Jersey Gov Christine Todd Whitman

Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum

Tennessee Senator Bill First

fmr. Michigan Gov. John Engler

Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson

Oklahoma Sen. Don Nickles

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: 2004 GOP Primaries if Gore won in 2000  (Read 1641 times)
Zedonathin2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2022, 12:56:32 AM »

In an alternate timeline where Al Gore won Florida, and therefore the 2000 election, who amongst these candidates would win the GOP Nomination for President in 2004?
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 01:26:56 AM »

I honestly feel like it would've been much like 2008 where McCain gets the nomination because the other candidates split the vote.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 12:19:24 PM »

I think if Gore wins 2000, then its gonna either be McCain or Rudy in 2004. This is assuming that 9/11 and Afghanistan still happens: John McCain as the war hero and Giuliani as the hero of 9/11 are gonna be hard for GOP voters to not be drawn to, and would be strong images to run on in a general election too.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 01:33:23 PM »

I could very easily see a Giuliani/McCain or McCain/Giuliani ticket in this scenario. This is all working off of the assumption that 9/11 still happened.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 03:18:08 PM »

McCain would have won. I think Giuliani had too much baggage to be on a ticket.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »

Whitman is too moderate, barely beat sleaze Jim McGreevey in 1997...George Allen is more of a running mate..I would throw in Colin Powell as well
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 03:22:31 PM »

I could very easily see a Giuliani/McCain or McCain/Giuliani ticket in this scenario. This is all working off of the assumption that 9/11 still happened.

I don't think Guiliani would be a VP nominee because of his views on social issues and ability to overshadow the Presidential nominee. He'd be like Trump and only could be on the top of a ticket.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 03:27:41 PM »

I'd say McCain. However, if Dubya lost a very close one, why wouldn't he try again?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 03:36:11 PM »

Dubya lost a very close one, why wouldn't he try again?
9/11 would result in a desire for a candidate with foreign policy experience and they would want a candidate with no DUIs.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 03:36:29 PM »

McCain or Giuliani for sure.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 03:37:26 PM »

I'd say McCain. However, if Dubya lost a very close one, why wouldn't he try again?

Cause Jeb would be the next Bush up then
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 03:33:59 AM »

I don't think Guiliani would be a VP nominee because of his views on social issues and ability to overshadow the Presidential nominee. He'd be like Trump and only could be on the top of a ticket.
I don't think I disagree.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 12:01:44 PM »

McCain/Allen
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 12:06:58 PM »

Cause Jeb would be the next Bush up then

Well, I think anyone who loses a close presidential election has at least a case to make for a rematch unless they drastically underperformed expectations (like Hillary 2016).
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 01:08:48 PM »

McCain - Would be the most likely due to being 'next in line' (a big advantage for various GOP primary candidates up until Trump). The GOP would also be desperate to win the White House after 12 years and he would be the obviously 'electable' candidate.

Huckabee - Only if he can gain traction. The faltering campaign of Fred Thompson in 2008 is what made him a serious contender that year.

Giuliani - Not likely to get though the primaries, not matter his 'hero' status. Would have to rely on McCain's campaign imploding.

Allen - I can't help but think of him in that category of overrated contenders in the 2000s and 2010s who went nowhere (aside from Allen, there is Warner, Bayh, Pawlenty, Huntsman, Walker etc). May well have dropped out prior to the Iowa caucus.

Whitman - Little chance. Would have been similar to Pataki's 2016 campaign.

Santorum - Would have likely be the choice of the party's right and would have a realistic chance if the party is in a certain mood (as it might have been during a Gore presidency).

Frist - Another Allen type candidate.

Engler - Could have been a dark horse and has the advantage of being from a big competitive state.

Thompson - I think Fred Thompson would have a better chance.

Nickles - Unlikely I would have thought.

However, unless Gore had some kind of major eff up he'd probably win re-election, which might make the 2008 primaries between Romney and Jeb! for the Republicans and Lieberman and Hillary for the Democrats.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 01:59:56 PM »

McCain - Would be the most likely due to being 'next in line' (a big advantage for various GOP primary candidates up until Trump). The GOP would also be desperate to win the White House after 12 years and he would be the obviously 'electable' candidate.

Huckabee - Only if he can gain traction. The faltering campaign of Fred Thompson in 2008 is what made him a serious contender that year.

Giuliani - Not likely to get though the primaries, not matter his 'hero' status. Would have to rely on McCain's campaign imploding.

Allen - I can't help but think of him in that category of overrated contenders in the 2000s and 2010s who went nowhere (aside from Allen, there is Warner, Bayh, Pawlenty, Huntsman, Walker etc). May well have dropped out prior to the Iowa caucus.

Santorum - Would have likely be the choice of the party's right and would have a realistic chance if the party is in a certain mood (as it might have been during a Gore presidency).

Engler - Could have been a dark horse and has the advantage of being from a big competitive state.

However, unless Gore had some kind of major eff up he'd probably win re-election, which might make the 2008 primaries between Romney and Jeb! for the Republicans and Lieberman and Hillary for the Democrats.

9/11 would have damaged Gore.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 03:25:37 PM »

9/11 would have damaged Gore.

How so? I think he would have handled the aftermath with much more competence and not been dragged into a senseless and costly war in Iraq.

There's even some chance 9/11 doesn't happen in this timeline because it's being prevented. There were warning signs in advance and the Bush administration after getting in scaled down the efforts of the Clinton government to hunt Bin Laden.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 09:03:19 PM »

McCain wins, but the paleocon/right-wing populist tendency makes a showing with the three-legged stool failing to win the White House three consecutive times, and they would have a decent casus belli in increased government efforts to address terrorism.
robocop
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 01:31:28 PM »

McCain would be candidate for sure and maybe wins but who would be VP?

I would hunch for Huckabee as he was a big deal back then.

However in this timeline McCain also becomes a one term president and the sequence of events that makes Obama 2008 happen still goes ahead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies