Who was the most overrated Republican of the 2022 cycle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 12:55:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who was the most overrated Republican of the 2022 cycle?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who was the most overrated Republican candidate in 2022?
Adam Laxalt

Blake Masters

Don Bolduc

Mehmet Oz

Herschel Walker

Lee Zeldin

Tudor Dixon

Joe O'Dea

Kari Lake

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Who was the most overrated Republican of the 2022 cycle?  (Read 2009 times)
EJ24
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2022, 05:45:09 PM »

?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »

WI: Tiffany Smiley, though of these, Kari Lake.
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 05:48:14 PM »

Easily Adam Laxalt since he was seen as the "strongest" GOP challenger by and large. But that was only a product of the others being that much worse rather than any strengths of his own. Laxalt was a nepotistic election denier without any real strengths of his own. He nearly lost in the red wave of 2014 in Nevada when about every other Republican was winning by double digits. Dude was not strong. He just looked a little more normal compared to the disaster artists that were Oz, Walker, Masters, and Bolduc.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 05:50:49 PM »

Easily Adam Laxalt since he was seen as the "strongest" GOP challenger by and large. But that was only a product of the others being that much worse rather than any strengths of his own. Laxalt was a nepotistic election denier without any real strengths of his own. He nearly lost in the red wave of 2014 in Nevada when about every other Republican was winning by double digits. Dude was not strong. He just looked a little more normal compared to the disaster artists that were Oz, Walker, Masters, and Bolduc.

I also think a lot of people on this forum (myself included) should learn a valuable lesson after this year: early voting data means jack squat. People here had Cortez-Masto DOA based on that. Go back and take a look at the posts.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 06:02:03 PM »

Allan Fung, who gave us this gem:

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 06:02:28 PM »

Oz was predicted by most people to win by a few points and he lost by 5, even though he was known to be a terrible candidate he was still overrated. Bolduc and Masters were also overestimated but both were generally expected to lose. Lake and Laxalt barely lost so the prospect of them winning wasn't crazy in hindsight.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 09:26:54 PM »

I also think a lot of people on this forum (myself included) should learn a valuable lesson after this year: early voting data means jack squat. People here had Cortez-Masto DOA based on that. Go back and take a look at the posts.

Ralston, the guy who actually knows how to interpret Nevada EV data, said that it would be extremely close, which is why he gave more of a vibes-based prediction (which ended up being correct).
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 11:09:39 PM »

Out of this list, I don't see how the answer is anyone except Adam Laxalt or maaaaaybe Kari Lake.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 11:40:32 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2022, 11:43:44 PM by KaiserDave »

Totally agreed with this, had Oz, Walker, Masters, and Bolduc not been in the picture we'd be discussing how horrible of a candidate Laxalt was, and he definitely was. An empty suit coasting entirely on a family name with terrible political instincts.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 06:47:40 AM »

Walker
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 12:56:14 PM »

Laxalt, but there were people saying Kari Lake and even Masters were #goodcandidates before November.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 01:04:05 PM »

Yeah, Kari Lake probably from the list. Adam Laxalt and Oz close second.

Smiley and O'Dea would be ones not from the list. Most of the nonpartisan polling said Smiley would get 42% and she got.. 42.7%.

O'Dea flopped harder than Trump.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 01:43:51 PM »

By the pundits, Lake.

By Atlas, Laxalt.

By myself, honestly probably Oz.
Miked0920
Rookie
United States
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 01:57:05 PM »

Id say Adam Laxalt was the most overrated GOP candidate. He was running in a dead-even swing state against a Vulnerable and Generic Democrat in Catherine Cortez Masto. Although Laxalt already had been damaged due to losing the 2018 Nevada Governor race to Steve Sisolak.

Tiffany Smiley and Joe O'Dea in Washington and Colorado respectively, were pretty overrated as well. I never fully bought the hype of those candidates from some Republicans. Washington is just about too blue period to elect a Republican nowadays, and Colorado is fairly democratic and mostly gone for the GOP and both a statewide and especially federal level.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 02:18:18 PM »

Lake, Laxalt.
UncleSam

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 02:22:34 PM »

By the pundits, Lake.

By Atlas, Laxalt.

By myself, honestly probably Oz.
This. I definitely thought Oz was going to do better than his polling and instead he did worse. I never bought the Atlas Laxalt hype, and the Lake hype in the media was just weird.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 07:24:38 PM »

The fact that anyone thought O'Dea would even come close was always blatantly laughable
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 07:27:49 PM »

Lake, Laxalt, O'Dea, and Smiley.

It's hard to pick among those four.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 09:17:56 AM »

The fact that anyone thought O'Dea would even come close was always blatantly laughable

Agreed, though I don't think anyone saw the Bennett +15 win incoming. That was pretty shocking. Made O'Dea look like even more of a joke that he barely outperformed Ganahl
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2022, 06:57:07 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2022, 07:00:32 PM by Interlocutor »

I went with O'Dea, who was propped up almost like a 'new way' for Colorado Republicans and yet likely never had a remote chance of winning.

At least Laxalt came very close to winning. O'Dea ended up underperforming the GOP candidates in Washington and New York
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2022, 02:29:54 PM »

Agreed, though I don't think anyone saw the Bennett +15 win incoming. That was pretty shocking. Made O'Dea look like even more of a joke that he barely outperformed Ganahl

I thought he was going to outperform Biden but I'm also the single most insufferable Bennet hack on the planet
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »

Laxalt (or possibly Lake) was the one whose chances of winning were most overrated in retrospect, but the one whose overall amorphous "quality" was the most overrated was clearly O'Dea. I would say Smiley, but nobody seemed to rate her so much as they underrated Murray.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2022, 03:25:59 PM »

WI: Tiffany Smiley, though of these, Kari Lake.

Pretty much this.

Smiley was probably an attempt by mostly right-wing pollsters to force the narrative of a competitive race which totally evaporated on election day.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »

Laxalt. Smiley in close second place.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 03:29:56 PM »

Laxalt still came very close to unseating CCM. At the same time, the mere fact that anyone thought Masters could possibly win made him "overrated."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies