Would McCain winning in 2008 have been the most heartbreaking timeline?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:31:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would McCain winning in 2008 have been the most heartbreaking timeline?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ^
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (O/I)

No (D)

No (R)

No (O/I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Would McCain winning in 2008 have been the most heartbreaking timeline?  (Read 1214 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2022, 12:27:53 AM »

Because it would suggest that a black man can’t win.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 12:33:49 AM »

Yes.

It might have led to the collapse of the Democratic base for a few years, because black voters would not turnout anymore.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 12:43:08 AM »

For conservatives yes , since the 10th year itch in 2010 would have been a disaster for the GOP and then in 2012 they almost certainly get bounced from the White House and would be left in their  worst position they have been since 1965.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 12:43:46 AM »

Hillary wins in 2012 in this timeline so far from it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 12:58:26 AM »

And comes in with the largest House Majority the Democrats have had since 1979 and largest Senate majority since 1965. Plus democrats get a huge advantage in the 2011 redistricting cycle so they probably can lock in their majorities for a while .

It would be a catastrophe for conservatives though
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 01:12:07 AM »

And comes in with the largest House Majority the Democrats have had since 1979 and largest Senate majority since 1965. Plus democrats get a huge advantage in the 2011 redistricting cycle so they probably can lock in their majorities for a while .

Yeah... I would most definitely prefer all that + Hillary in office + McCain of all people being the Republican caretaker for 4 years over what we got.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 02:13:54 AM »

It depends on one of the following:

A. He instigates/starts another war which ends up being more devastating than Iraq, potentially nuclear
B. McCain dies in office and Palin turns out to be a bad leader

But at least our Constitution would remain intact and our values wouldn't be tampered with so it could certainly be worse.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 12:07:41 PM »

No. Trump winning in 2020 or even Romney winning in 2012 would've been heartbreaking.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 02:13:51 PM »

Only if Hillary was the opponent, as it'd stop the glass ceiling and the black man was already out, leading to lots of backlash and blame.

Not to mention Hillary had more guts than Obama.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 11:56:50 PM »

Yeah... I would most definitely prefer all that + Hillary in office + McCain of all people being the Republican caretaker for 4 years over what we got.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 12:27:38 AM »

The problem with this scenario is it brings up the question under what scenario can a Democrat win? 2008 was probably the worst fundamentals for a Republican Administration since the Great Depression. Like seriously look at the economic situation, the foreign situation with the Iraq War and outgoing administration's popularity...and the Democrats couldn't even win the White House under that? That's a sure fire recipe for Democratic nihilism.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 01:07:53 AM »

Not at all. McCain is easily the least-bad R nominee since Bush 1, and perhaps even since Eisenhower. Not to mention the 2010s would be completely averted.

I still prefer the outcome we got, but it wouldn't have been heartbreaking. 2016 was heartbreaking.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 01:21:36 AM »

The problem with this scenario is it brings up the question under what scenario can a Democrat win? 2008 was probably the worst fundamentals for a Republican Administration since the Great Depression. Like seriously look at the economic situation, the foreign situation with the Iraq War and outgoing administration's popularity...and the Democrats couldn't even win the White House under that? That's a sure fire recipe for Democratic nihilism.

Lehman gets delayed by a year could be a scenario and McCain barely scraps it out with this map

Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 01:39:06 AM »

Yeah, certainly not. The way I see it, the malaise of three terms of direly unpopular Republican leadership would turn 2010 into an absolute horror show for them, and in 2012 someone to Obama's left - Sanders being a very strong possibility - runs, buries McCain, and ushers in progressivism as the new norm.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 01:48:26 AM »

Yeah, certainly not. The way I see it, the malaise of three terms of direly unpopular Republican leadership would turn 2010 into an absolute horror show for them, and in 2012 someone to Obama's left - Sanders being a very strong possibility - runs, buries McCain, and ushers in progressivism as the new norm.

Hillary would beat Bernie in the 2012 Dem primaries after the progressive candidate lost in 2008 and then would win big.

TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 11:40:03 AM »

Lehman gets delayed by a year could be a scenario and McCain barely scraps it out with this map

Bush's approval ratings were really bad even before Lehman. I always thought no recession PLUS getting bin Laden in September or October might've led to a narrow Republican win in 2008.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 11:43:52 AM »

True.......2008 was a sure Democratic win.......if the Dems were divided by the Clinton/Obama rancor and such.....2012 would have Dean or someone as the nominee....someone who purges the Clintons out of the party for good....
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 12:32:27 PM »

Bush's approval ratings were really bad even before Lehman. I always thought no recession PLUS getting bin Laden in September or October might've led to a narrow Republican win in 2008.

John Edwards would lose even with the crash
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:21 PM »

A black candidate would come along eventually. I doubt that the country would just be permanently too racist to elect a black candidate in this timeline, and there are plenty of other reasons McCain could've won.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 09:42:46 PM »

Someone was saying something?

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 11:01:34 AM »

I presume that is a hypothetical map, but of what exactly?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 11:46:04 AM »

I presume that is a hypothetical map, but of what exactly?

2010 Senate Elections if McCain wins in 2008.
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 01:09:47 PM »

Not at all, as long as McCain stays healthy and doesn't pass during the presidency, as Palin I think would be a disaster. I think McCain winning means we could potentially see something done on cap and trade or immigration reform without the obstructionist mentality the GOP members of Congress had during the Obama presidency. He's sympathetic to campaign finance reform, against torture, and doesn't want to go after entitlements to the same extent that the more conservative members of the GOP caucus do. I think domestically, he wouldn't be that far away from Obama, and would be more productive in certain areas (immigration, climate, etc), less productive in others (healthcare reform would be the big one). Foreign policy, he'd probably not have the Iran deal, nor would he have opened relations with Cuba. He wouldn't have began withdrawal from Iraq either. However, I do think something like the Paris Accords, TPP, etc would still be negotiated; McCain wasn't as hostile to internationalism as the Bush administration was.

Assuming McCain doesn't die in office, I think he'd have a pretty good shot in 2012 against Clinton if the economy starts recovering. I also think that this timeline averts Trump running (at least, as a Republican).
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2022, 01:11:36 PM »

McCain winning might have spared America the racial and social divisiveness over the past few years...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »

Yeah, I don't think "can America elect a black guy" will be the first question most people will ask.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies