Echelon primary polls shows Trump dominating among Young Republicans and DeSantis with older
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:29:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Echelon primary polls shows Trump dominating among Young Republicans and DeSantis with older
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Echelon primary polls shows Trump dominating among Young Republicans and DeSantis with older  (Read 771 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2022, 02:38:49 AM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 03:09:02 AM »

Not at all surprising given most of the young Republicans that I know.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 04:09:09 AM »

Not at all surprising given most of the young Republicans that I know.

Sucks how Younger voters seem more radical than older voters regardless of what party they are in
Spectator
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »

I don’t know why this is a shocker. I know I go over the top with the “GOP/conservative media has no appeal to anyone under 50 outside the ‘school shooter demographic’” thing but it’s not exactly disjointed from reality. The only politically engaged people I typically see among young Republicans is the Kyle Rittenhouse fanboys.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 11:43:58 AM »

DeSantis is much more anti gay than Trump, which is probably also a factor as most under 30s, even most under 30 Republicans, have at least one non straight friend.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 11:49:34 AM »

DeSantis is much more anti gay than Trump, which is probably also a factor as most under 30s, even most under 30 Republicans, have at least one non straight friend.

There are rumors that DeSantis is bisexual/gay, so that may be in line with the Aaron Schock type of overcompensating.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »

There are rumors that DeSantis is bisexual/gay, so that may be in line with the Aaron Schock type of overcompensating.

Don't tell Lindsay Graham...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 12:53:56 PM »

What are these rumors based on?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 03:09:17 AM »

What are these rumors based on?

I'm curious as well. I've never heard gay rumors surrounding DeSantis. Did you mix him up with Rubio? Plenty there.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 03:48:42 AM »

If you are obsessed with what other people do in their bedrooms, you probably have some sexual skeletons in your closet. This has been known for ages. I've lost count of all the bigoted conservative politicians who turned out to be not exactly straight themselves.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 03:49:55 AM »

If you are obsessed with what other people do in their bedrooms, you probably have some sexual skeletons in your closet. This has been known for ages. I've lost count of all the bigoted conservative politicians who turned out to be not exactly straight themselves.

Based on some of the rumors that have circulated so far, I think it's more likely that DeSantis is guilty of statutory rape than being a closeted gay man.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 04:03:30 AM »

Based on some of the rumors that have circulated so far, I think it's more likely that DeSantis is guilty of statutory rape than being a closeted gay man.
Well, he certainly gives out strong "creep" vibes.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 06:55:36 AM »

This is more believable than him being gay
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 02:50:05 PM »

I don't think that has much to do with it. I think younger voters are less informed and are probably less likely to have heard of DeSantis, and young Republicans tend to care more about owning the libs and other empty crap than the policy positions that conservatives like. Seriously, look at successful conservative media aimed at people under the age of about 45 and all of it (yes, 100% of it) revolves around looking at crazy liberals and talking about how offended they are. So they're going to pick the candidate that they feel offends liberals the most. Their support of DeSantis may change once the liberal propaganda machine starts demonizing him more and we start seeing pundits crying about how mean DeSantis is.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 02:59:51 PM »

Huh, fascinating. Would imply really different patterns (not just voting patterns, but probably also really different turnout patterns) relative to the 2016 primary, and perhaps other GOP primaries before that. Might be part of why pollsters are coming up with such ridiculously divergent numbers here.

...dunno that I've heard either of these things. I want to say that one of the advantages of running a large-state Governor like DeSantis would be that he comes pre-vetted, since you'd guess there would've been large oppo-gathering operations during his campaigns and governorship, but then again given that nobody managed to find out during the campaign that Andrew Gillum did meth orgies perhaps you wouldn't expect that to be the case.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »

...dunno that I've heard either of these things. I want to say that one of the advantages of running a large-state Governor like DeSantis would be that he comes pre-vetted, since you'd guess there would've been large oppo-gathering operations during his campaigns and governorship, but then again given that nobody managed to find out during the campaign that Andrew Gillum did meth orgies perhaps you wouldn't expect that to be the case.

And you'd think that Hershel Walker's scandals would have come up during vetting, or Brett Kavanaugh, or Cal Cunningham, etc... Maybe the people who vet candidates are just bad at their jobs?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 06:06:00 PM »

And you'd think that Hershel Walker's scandals would have come up during vetting, or Brett Kavanaugh, or Cal Cunningham, etc... Maybe the people who vet candidates are just bad at their jobs?

All of these scandals came up during campaigns (a Supreme Court confirmation process being kinda like a campaign) -- DeSantis has had two campaigns in an enormous state, the first of which was extremely competitive and the second of which, while less so, still received substantial national attention.

(This sort of logic isn't absolute -- Gillum's scandal never came up during his campaign. But I think DeSantis would be less likely than almost any other Republican to have something come up unexpectedly, bar people from larger states or who have already run serious presidential campaigns, like Abbott/Cruz/Rubio. On the Democratic side, I would say that this sort of thing is probably one of Newsom's strengths -- while he's not scandal-free I think it's relatively unlikely there's stuff about him we don't know, relative to someone from a smaller state or with a shorter political biography.)
sg0508
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »

Fractured party = defeats in the future.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 08:31:56 PM »

This is an old pattern, but it really does not seem to have held in the 21st century. (In fact, in the years when both parties have had open primaries -- 2000, 2008, and 2016 -- it is distinctly the party with the more rancorous and negative process which has won: Republicans in 2000, Democrats in 2008, and Republicans again in 2016.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 02:44:03 AM »

This is an old pattern, but it really does not seem to have held in the 21st century. (In fact, in the years when both parties have had open primaries -- 2000, 2008, and 2016 -- it is distinctly the party with the more rancorous and negative process which has won: Republicans in 2000, Democrats in 2008, and Republicans again in 2016.)

The Democrats aren’t going to have an open primary though, so that’s not really a relevant factor here.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 02:57:47 AM »

The Democrats aren’t going to have an open primary though, so that’s not really a relevant factor here.

There also is the 2020 Democrats which for a while was very rancorous and some of the debates descended into chaos
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 04:11:55 AM »

This feels less like "Republicans under 50 are deranged MAGA-heads" and more "Republicans under 50 aren't thinking about the 2024 primary and don't follow GOP media enough to know/care about non-Trump candidates"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies