Will the right turn on Elon Musk?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:29:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the right turn on Elon Musk?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the right turn on Elon Musk?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Will the right turn on Elon Musk?  (Read 712 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »

I think that once it becomes blatantly obvious that he's not running Twitter as a "free speech platform" but simply arbitrarily banning people on whatever his whims are and isn't some bold whistleblower but is only promoting right-wing clickbait stories for the purpose of clickbait and generating Twitter activity they'll drop him like a hot potato. Just wait until some high profile right-winger is (re-)banned after pissing him off or he starts pushing some anti-Trump clickbait story for the same reason.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 01:31:02 PM »

I think that once it becomes blatantly obvious that he's not running Twitter as a "free speech platform" but simply arbitrarily banning people on whatever his whims are and isn't some bold whistleblower but is only promoting right-wing clickbait stories for the purpose of clickbait and generating Twitter activity they'll drop him like a hot potato. Just wait until some high profile right-winger is (re-)banned after pissing him off or he starts pushing some anti-Trump clickbait story for the same reason.

That's what they want though. The right wing are notoriously censorious.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 01:33:02 PM »

If Elon gets desperate enough to get advertisers back then he will start banning rightwing trolls again, and then the right will turn on him.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 02:17:27 PM »

They're already starting to.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 03:20:09 PM »

That's what they want though. The right wing are notoriously censorious.

Yeah they already got mad at him for keeping Alex Jones banned.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 05:37:28 PM »

Yes they will turn on him. I don't think Musk is a match for Republican idealism. Musk is like Trump I believe...out for Musk. That will turn off a lot of people except those who think like Musk. I'm guessing deplorables and such groups.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 11:15:46 PM »

Yes they will turn on him. I don't think Musk is a match for Republican idealism. Musk is like Trump I believe...out for Musk. That will turn off a lot of people except those who think like Musk. I'm guessing deplorables and such groups.

Literally the only reason they like him in the first place is because the left hates him now.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 11:25:35 AM »

Having one of your guys own one of the top communications platforms, giving him the ability to manipulate what people see and what information they share, is a pretty big get.  But the right is going to screw it up, because Elon will eventually have to do some censorship and moderation to get advertisers back on the platform, otherwise it will just be a huge money pit.  Nobody really cares about Kanye, but the first time he bans some conservative provocateur or back-bencher state rep, the right will explode in outrage.
Waldo

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 11:48:40 AM »

Who exactly has been banned since Musk took over?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 11:51:46 AM »

Kanye, Alex Jones has been denied being back on, anarchist collective Crimethinc and a bunch of random tankies (well deserved bans though, don't get me wrong.)
Waldo

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 12:10:32 PM »

Kanye, Alex Jones has been denied being back on, anarchist collective Crimethinc and a bunch of random tankies (well deserved bans though, don't get me wrong.)

Oh. I honestly had no idea. I'm against banning as a general rule, but it's certainly taken a big step in the right direction.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 12:26:09 PM »

I'm not seeing.  Any hard and fast examples of big names on the right doing so?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 03:56:11 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2022, 04:05:15 PM by I will not be your victim, I will not bathe in your flames »

...and it's happening:

(Plenty of others)

For the unfamiliar Jackson Hinkle is a Putin apologist podcaster who claims to be a leftist but is like Jimmie Dore in that his following is almost exclusively right-wing now and he basically endorsed the Republicans this year.

Examples:

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 04:16:05 PM »

Those don't seem like high powered defections, BRTD.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies