DeSantis forced by court to define "woke"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:21:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DeSantis forced by court to define "woke"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DeSantis forced by court to define "woke"  (Read 724 times)
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »

WTF. I love being woke now!

What does “woke” mean?

During the three-day trial this week challenging Gov. Ron DeSantis’ suspension of Hillsborough County State Attorney Andrew Warren, attorneys for Warren were able to put that question to aides for DeSantis, who called Florida the place where “woke goes to die” in his victory speech after being reelected last month.

Jean-Jacques Cabou, Warren’s attorney, noted DeSantis referred to Warren in his announcement of the suspension as a “woke ideologue” who “masqueraded” as a prosecutor. Then he asked some DeSantis officials what “woke” means to them.

Taryn Fenske, DeSantis’ Communications Director said “woke” was a “slang term for activism … progressive activism” and a general belief in systemic injustices in the country.

Ryan Newman, DeSantis’ General Counsel, echoed the part about systemic injustices, specifically regarding the criminal justice system.

“To me it means someone who believes that there are systemic injustices in the criminal justice system and on that basis they can decline to fully enforce and uphold the law,” Newman said.

Asked what “woke” means more generally, Newman said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

Newman added that DeSantis doesn’t believe there are systemic injustices in the U.S. He also emphasized he believed Warren’s “wokeism” led him to sign the pledge not to prosecute abortion crimes, the primary factor that led to his suspension.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/574045-in-andrew-warren-suspension-trial-gov-desantis-officials-answer-what-does-woke-mean/
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 02:11:21 AM »

Yoda
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 02:30:32 AM »

The truly hilarious thing about this is that - besides DeSantis' lawyer giving a 100% accurate definition - is that conservatives/republicans 100% believe this as well, they just believe in other supposed systemic injustices and the need to address them. Like abortion, for example.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 03:00:38 AM »

Shocking absence of Republicans in this thread
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 03:05:59 AM »

The truly hilarious thing about this is that - besides DeSantis' lawyer giving a 100% accurate definition - is that conservatives/republicans 100% believe this as well, they just believe in other supposed systemic injustices and the need to address them. Like abortion, for example.

Republicans believe that straight white Christian men are the ones facing systemic injustices.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 03:48:18 AM »

Republicans believe that straight white Christian men are the ones facing systemic injustices.

Absolutely. That's another example. They believe they are entitled to consequence-free speech, b/c they don't understand the First Amendment. They also believe they are entitled to women, no matter how little they bring to the table or how disgusting they are. Every incel is a republican, even if they don't know it yet.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 10:22:26 AM »

I love how much Republicans love freedom of expression and allowing dissenting viewpoints to flourish.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 10:26:32 AM »

Ah, the lesson of the day. Don't use a term that you are not prepared to define in a way that will not cause one to become embarrassed as to having used the term in the first instance.

Frankly, I am not sure what woke means to be honest, and I don't really trust it. And thus I never use the term.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 10:55:53 AM »

That isnt the way its used really. But that definition itd apply to most everyone except perhaps the rich. Actually that definition would make the word make some kind of sense but then itd also be like calling water wet. In general woke is just the newer term for sjw which is just a way of saying someone on the extreme left who tends to be extra whiny and sensitive.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »

Woke is just the latest word conservatives have co-opted or invented as a pejorative to not give a damn about inequality and mock those who do. I've been told ya'll this. Now you see it right out of their own mouths.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 01:05:28 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2022, 01:27:41 PM by Miscellaneous Top Secret Crumpets »

The first time I heard "woke," it was from someone on the left. It was probably 2014-15ish, and they ended a short speech saying "Let's get woke people!" as a sort of "Woohoo!" My first thought was "Oh, we're doing the whole 'wake up sheeple' thing unironically now?" So, to be fair, I don't think woke is a term made up by the right, and as we see here, it's not like they have a fundamentally different idea of what it means. Heck, going by the "wake up sheeple" comparison, it's not really even an idea that they used in a negative light until the last couple of years. They've just gotten totally high on their own supply and forgot the need to dogwhistle about what exactly they're trying to fight against and don't realize that explaining it thoroughly makes them sound evil.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies