SB 112-39: Can We Actually Get To Vote Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:04:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 112-39: Can We Actually Get To Vote Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 112-39: Can We Actually Get To Vote Act (Passed)  (Read 734 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2022, 10:28:13 AM »

18 more hours to object to the amendment.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2022, 07:34:44 AM »

Amendment is adopted.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2022, 07:56:46 AM »

I motion for a final vote. 24 hours to object.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2022, 08:32:56 AM »

This bill is something I would really like to see pass this term. Going back to Mr. Reactionary's sound calls on compromise, I am offering another amendment on allowing for shorter voting times with cloture invoked. Hopefully this will prove to be a reasonable arrangement for the majority of us.

Can We Actually Get to Vote? Amendment

Article 2 of the OSPR is amended to the following:

6.) Co-sponsors of legislation under consideration shall have no power to withdraw legislation nor contest withdrawal of legislation by the original sponsor. Any office-holding Senator may assume sponsorship of the legislation within 96 hours after the original sponsor has motioned to withdraw. Once a motion to assume sponsorship has been filed by a Senator, Senators shall have 24 hours to object to this motion. If any Senator objects, the PPT shall open a vote on the motion lasting until a majority has voted for or against the motion but not more than 96 hours all members have declared their vote, or 96 hours have been exceeded. If the motion is rejected, the bill shall be removed from the floor.

Article 6 of the OSPR is amended to the following:

1.) Final Votes and veto overrides votes shall last for a maximum of 4 days (i.e. 96 hours). A final vote may be ended earlier than 96 hours:

a. If the vote has a majority to pass or fail, then the Presiding officer may call 24 hours for Senators to vote or change their votes.

b. If all Senators have voted and the result is unanimous for or against, then the Presiding Officer may end the vote immediately.
if all Senators have voted; or if cloture was invoked, upon which a minimum of 72 hours (including the cloture vote) is allotted.

Actually while we're here, is there a particular reason why cloture gets this treatment? Aside from any of that, cloture votes themselves have already taken 72 hours in the past so tacking that on to the final vote seems odd to me. IDK.

I guess I would like a more detailed explanation for the inclusion of the cloture part.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2022, 08:41:32 AM »

This bill is something I would really like to see pass this term. Going back to Mr. Reactionary's sound calls on compromise, I am offering another amendment on allowing for shorter voting times with cloture invoked. Hopefully this will prove to be a reasonable arrangement for the majority of us.

6.) Co-sponsors of legislation under consideration shall have no power to withdraw legislation nor contest withdrawal of legislation by the original sponsor. Any office-holding Senator may assume sponsorship of the legislation within 96 hours after the original sponsor has motioned to withdraw. Once a motion to assume sponsorship has been filed by a Senator, Senators shall have 24 hours to object to this motion. If any Senator objects, the PPT shall open a vote on the motion lasting until a majority has voted for or against the motion but not more than 96 hours all members have declared their vote, or 96 hours have been exceeded. If the motion is rejected, the bill shall be removed from the floor.

1.) Final Votes and veto overrides votes shall last for a maximum of 4 days (i.e. 96 hours). A final vote may be ended earlier than 96 hours:

a. If the vote has a majority to pass or fail, then the Presiding officer may call 24 hours for Senators to vote or change their votes.

b. If all Senators have voted and the result is unanimous for or against, then the Presiding Officer may end the vote immediately.
if all Senators have voted; or if cloture was invoked, upon which a minimum of 72 hours (including the cloture vote) is allotted.

Actually while we're here, is there a particular reason why cloture gets this treatment? Aside from any of that, cloture votes themselves have already taken 72 hours in the past so tacking that on to the final vote seems odd to me. IDK.

I guess I would like a more detailed explanation for the inclusion of the cloture part.

So the proposed change is that final votes last 96 hours (4 days). The cloture exemption says that if we have to have a cloture vote, instead of 96 hours a final vote only needs to last 72 hours (3 days) the argument being that since we just had a 3 day cloture vote, Senators should be on notice that a final vote could open soon and so that last day is not necessary. Remember a cloture vote is on whether or not we end debate and vote, it is not a vote on the merits of the bill. Basically the cloture exemption reduces stall tactics by a day.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2022, 08:43:23 AM »

So the proposed change is that final votes last 96 hours (4 days). The cloture exemption says that if we have to have a cloture vote, instead of 96 hours a final vote only needs to last 72 hours (3 days) the argument being that since we just had a 3 day cloture vote, Senators should be on notice that a final vote could open soon and so that last day is not necessary. Remember a cloture vote is on whether or not we end debate and vote, it is not a vote on the merits of the bill. Basically the cloture exemption reduces stall tactics by a day.

Right, so "(including the cloture vote)" seems like a strange thing to add in there. Everything else stands without it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2022, 09:33:39 AM »

Right, so "(including the cloture vote)" seems like a strange thing to add in there. Everything else stands without it.

I guess my reading is that the 72 hours references the length the cloture vote must be.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2022, 09:45:22 AM »

I guess my reading is that the 72 hours references the length the cloture vote must be.

Isn't that what the first half of the sentence (referring to the final vote being ended earlier than 96 hours) is for?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2022, 06:04:13 PM »

I motion for a final vote. 24 hours to object.

I will object as I feel that debate hasn't reached a logical conclusion.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2022, 12:26:00 PM »

Withdrawing my objection because there hasn't been any debate in several days
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »

Crap I missed this one. We can handle this with the Referendum Amendment and Military waste bill next week. My appologies.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2022, 09:46:23 PM »

Amendment to clean up the text as the President requested. 24 hours to object.

if all Senators have voted; or if cloture was invoked, upon which and a minimum of 72 hours has passed (including the cloture vote)is allotted.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2022, 09:54:09 PM »

This amendment is friendly.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2022, 10:03:51 PM »

Assuming the amendment is adopted I guess I will also make the final vote motion to proceed to a final vote after the Christmas break. 24 hours to object.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2022, 10:40:40 PM »

Amendment is adopted.

No objections so vote will occur January 2.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2023, 01:09:30 AM »

A final vote is now open lasting 72 hours. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »

Aye
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States