FloridaMan shows underage son how to clean AR-15 while drunk, accidentally shoots young daughter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:37:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FloridaMan shows underage son how to clean AR-15 while drunk, accidentally shoots young daughter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FloridaMan shows underage son how to clean AR-15 while drunk, accidentally shoots young daughter  (Read 688 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2022, 01:06:29 AM »

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (WFLA) — A Florida man was charged with child abuse after police said he “irresponsibly handled” an AR-15 rifle and accidentally shot his daughter the day before Thanksgiving.

According to WPTV, Daniel Weber, 35, was on the couch, showing his underage son how to clean his AR-15 rifle when he set it down on a TV tray. Police said the tray tipped over and the gun fired, striking Weber’s young daughter in the hip or lower abdomen area.

WPTV reported the victim needed “extensive care” and was rushed into surgery. She is still recovering in the hospital one week after the shooting.

Weber told detectives that he believed the gun was not loaded at the time. He said he was “experienced at handling firearms” and “handled several different types/calibers of firearms for several years”, according to WPTV.

Weber’s son told police his father drinks daily and had five drinks on the afternoon of the shooting, according to a police report. Weber told police he’d had “about six beers”.

Port St. Lucie police said the gun was “irresponsibly handled” and Weber’s actions were “extremely negligent”. He was charged with aggravated child abuse, using a firearm while under the influence of alcohol, and culpable negligence.

The AR-15 just has so many uses!
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 01:20:00 AM »

Whatever. Wokeism and CRT are the real problems. Little girls getting shot by their drunk father with an assault rifle is just the price of freedom.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 01:22:59 AM »

He is an unfit parent. Both of his children should be permanently taken away from him, and he should go to jail for criminal negligence and child endangerment.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 02:10:14 AM »

Nonetheless, it's impressive that Floridians are learning how to operate complex tools (albeit imperfectly).
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 09:49:10 AM »

Drunks are pathetic.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 09:53:43 AM »

For every “good guy with a gun”, there are about ten of these.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 09:57:00 AM »

Whatever. Wokeism and CRT are the real problems. Little girls getting shot by their drunk father with an assault rifle is just the price of freedom.

Being "pro life" ends at birth, didn't you know?

Kidding aside, obviously a tragedy. Will it change anything? No. RIP to the girl.

She's alive LOL
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 09:58:57 AM »

Kidding aside, obviously a tragedy. Will it change anything? No. RIP to the girl.

She's alive LOL

Oops, I hope she gets well soon. The "shoot" implyed she was killed to me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 09:59:30 AM »

#LockHimUp
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 10:43:58 AM »

Gun rights activists who let this garbage happen are pathetic.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »

The only way this could be more Florida is if there were an alligator involved for some reason.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 12:39:16 PM »

I'm not a gun apologist by any means, but it should be noted that this is an alcohol story more than it is a gun story. This could just as easily have been a headline about a guy having 7 beers and then running over his daughter in a drunk driving incident.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 12:48:34 PM »

At least he was charged and not just let off with a warning.
SInNYC

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 02:15:26 PM »

This was not just any Floriduh man. It was a deputy in the sheriffs office: https://www.whio.com/news/trending/police-off-duty-deputy-accidentally-shot-daughter-with-ar-15-while-drunk/FN7GRB43GRFIBGPPIBP2B4KV54/
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 02:19:33 PM »

Daniel Weber, a deputy with the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office, was home with his family the day before Thanksgiving when he wanted to show his son, who is under 18, how to clean an AR-15 rifle.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 07:41:23 PM »

The only way this could be more Florida is if there were an alligator involved for some reason.

Or drugs like bath salts or meth.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 09:50:11 PM »

I read that as Daniel Webster and I thought it checked out.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 08:08:54 AM »

I'm not a gun apologist by any means, but it should be noted that this is an alcohol story more than it is a gun story. This could just as easily have been a headline about a guy having 7 beers and then running over his daughter in a drunk driving incident.

I have no respect for alcohol, and the people who give up their entire lives to them. He drank 6 beers and decided handling a gun was the wisest choice. This guy is stupid, and should count himself lucky that he didn't kill anyone. Take away his children for their safety, and give him mandatory AA meetings if he wants to see them again. Give him harsh restrictions every time he drinks in the future.

I agree with this guy
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 08:56:17 AM »

I have no respect for alcohol, and the people who give up their entire lives to them. He drank 6 beers and decided handling a gun was the wisest choice. This guy is stupid, and should count himself lucky that he didn't kill anyone. Take away his children for their safety, and give him mandatory AA meetings if he wants to see them again. Give him harsh restrictions every time he drinks in the future.

I agree with this guy

He should also have his right to handle firearms permanently revoked.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »

She's alive LOL

Yeah, "LOL" is totally the apt response here.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 10:47:15 PM »

I agree with this guy

I'm an alcoholic who's been sober, continuously (no breaks for weekends, holidays, etc.) for 39 years next March.  I've worked with people with substance abuse problems in my professional life.

Whenever a person is trying to conceal or minimize the scope of their problems with alcohol, I have found that the discussion almost always gets around to the point where the alcoholic asserts that 'No one's going to tell me what to do!".  There is an innate rebellion on the part of alcoholics that I don't find as obvious in people addicted to illegal drugs.  Perhaps this is because alcohol is not really treated as a drug outside of therapy and counseling.  We do this as a society as a way of having our cake and eating it too, and because we weren't very good in carrying out Prohibition.

I do know that I would not have recovered from alcohol addiction and remained sober had I not been willing to take responsibility for the outcome of my own life.  That willingness includes accepting outside help and advise from others that one may not ordinarily take.  Lots of alcoholics want to stop drinking.  They certainly want to stop racking up consequences.  Lots of alcoholics can say "I want to be sober!'.  Far fewer are willing to say "I'll do anything!".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies