Stop taking the Trump bait
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:14:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Stop taking the Trump bait
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stop taking the Trump bait  (Read 560 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2022, 12:40:21 AM »

A significantly bad decision in the Trump 2020 campaign was the supposed focus on certain candidates on the Democratic party’s left with no chance to become the nominee. First it was the hyperfixation on Warren, then to a more subdued extent on Sanders even after South Carolina. There was no way in hell any of those two would have won, especially Sanders, yet the Trump campaign still focused on Sanders way past his prime instead of attacking Biden

Today, with Trump a political nonfactor and even voters who vote Republican souring on him, Democrats are continuing to talk about Trump. While Trump did dampen down Republicans in many races on the state level in the midterms, there was also the fact that the Republican party faced immense backlash for Roe’s repeal and that the party has yet to recover from 2020–so that excuse cannot be made.

Now, it is even less excusable with DeSantis a clear favorite and the fact that the Trump cult has all but been taken down many pegs. I fail to see Democrats being able to successfully tie DeSantis to Trump even with the absolute certainty Trump will endorse DeSantis, as he doesn’t carry himself around as a MAGA Republican yet is skilled in getting their support and helping Republicans do well with turning out conservative minorities who don’t vote.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 01:33:49 AM »

I believe that "begging the question" is the term for what's happening in this thread.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 03:57:24 AM »

lol before any of that he tried to bribe Zelenskyy to make up a Biden scandal.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 08:50:49 AM »

2O24 IT COME'S DOWN TO ONE MAN...The only one who can fixing it its DAVE PORT NOY
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 10:13:44 AM »

I reject the premise that DeSantis is a “clear favorite.” I would honestly love to never think about Donald Trump again, but when, from my standpoint, he’s the most likely person to be the Republican nominee and the second most likely person is a Trump wannabe and Trumpist in all but name, my hands are kind of tied.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 06:21:54 PM »

Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 07:34:54 PM »

I reject the premise that DeSantis is a “clear favorite.” I would honestly love to never think about Donald Trump again, but when, from my standpoint, he’s the most likely person to be the Republican nominee and the second most likely person is a Trump wannabe and Trumpist in all but name, my hands are kind of tied.

Donald Trump is not the most likely person to be the Republican nominee.
Donald Trump keeps losing support which is all his fault.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 08:53:00 PM »

Donald Trump is not the most likely person to be the Republican nominee.
Donald Trump keeps losing support which is all his fault.

Citation needed
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 03:41:31 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2022, 04:05:32 PM by BlueSwan »

I do agree that focusing too much on Trump, who is probably unlikely to be the nominee, is counterproductive.

I disagree that the Trump campaign 2020 was focused on Sanders. Warren, yes. Sanders, no. They were much more focused on Biden, but had problems doing it succesfully.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »

As others have said here, I don't think there's enough to say DeSantis is a "clear favorite" or anything close to it even this far out. Primaries tend to be more volatile, he hasn't declared anything yet, and we don't know how exactly he'll define himself.

I do think you make a good point though about focusing too much on Trump; I honestly think that's why Dems really suffered down ballot in 2020, with Rs especially at more local levels tending to outperform Trump regardless of whether or not they were "more moderate". At the same time, Rs were very good at blanketing the Democratic Party as a threat to safety and freedom and stuff.

In 2022, we saw the reverse, where Rs focused a bit too heavily on Biden whereas Dems were very effective about painting the Rs as a whole as problematic.

Especially given the brutal Senate map that's up, Dems really need to make sure they attack nit just the nominee but the party as a whole, cause even just a slight Dem underperformance of Pres partisanship in key Senate races could be very costly.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies