Democrats prepare to boot Iowa from “first in the nation” status
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats prepare to boot Iowa from “first in the nation” status
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Democrats prepare to boot Iowa from “first in the nation” status  (Read 3136 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2022, 04:57:47 PM »

By choosing the states himself, Biden has chosen states that fits demographics well with states he's good in, killing momentum for other challengers, and ensuring the nominee will always be the establishment's favoured candidate.

It's like holding an election but choosing the conditions to run in yourself to favour yourself. Aka smells rigged.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2022, 05:05:13 PM »

I think Michigan is a great choice to go first.

Given how presidential elections are decided, I think the best lineup would be something like MI->NV->NH->SC.  I do think GA makes more sense than SC for the 1st Southern primary, but Dems don't have the power to change that yet. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2022, 05:08:05 PM »

Just like in 2016, the primaries are rigged again.

Or how about progressives appeal to the South and Black voters more....aggressively....
Spectator
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2022, 05:08:19 PM »

By choosing the states himself, Biden has chosen states that fits demographics well with states he's good in, killing momentum for other challengers, and ensuring the nominee will always be the establishment's favoured candidate.

It's like holding an election but choosing the conditions to run in yourself to favour yourself. Aka smells rigged.

Then maybe the progressive activists should tailor their strategy to actually appeal to blacks then? Just a thought.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »

Blacks, esp. older ones are socially conservative because the Republicans have obviously abandoned them and socially conservative blacks have no reason to vote Republican, because the GOP is the party of white people.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2022, 05:12:03 PM »

Blacks, esp. older ones are socially conservative because the Republicans have obviously abandoned them and socially conservative blacks have no reason to vote Republican.

And why are they any less valuable as Democrats than I am as a Republican?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2022, 05:12:52 PM »

Blacks, esp. older ones are socially conservative because the Republicans have obviously abandoned them and socially conservative blacks have no reason to vote Republican.

Because they prevent the Democratic Party from moving left and progressive and thus act as a block on what should be much needed change.

[younger blacks are often very progressive tho, but they're a strong minority]. America is ruled by the old given your president could be your grandpa.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2022, 05:15:25 PM »

Or how about progressives appeal to the South and Black voters more....aggressively....

If an election is rigged in your favour, not an issue

if it is against your favour, red avatars scream murder & fire.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2022, 05:16:18 PM »

If the Dems want Biden to be the candidate, just stop pretending it to be democratic and cancel the primaries entirely. That way, no competition at all and you can focus on what red avatars consider a bigger threat, orange man and desanctimonous
Spectator
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2022, 05:20:15 PM »

Because they prevent the Democratic Party from moving left and progressive and thus act as a block on what should be much needed change.

[younger blacks are often very progressive tho, but they're a strong minority]. America is ruled by the old given your president could be your grandpa.

Seems very anti-demcoratic
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »

Changing a primary agenda to fit better with voter groups you traditionally are strong with isn't democratic. It's what a dictator would do to give the impression an election is democratic because he would be guaranteed to win anyways.

I would do the same thing if i were a dictator. It's textbook dictatorial tactics.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2022, 07:14:10 PM »

…yeah that’s about the sort of nonsense I was expecting. Laki moment.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2022, 08:16:22 PM »

Changing a primary agenda to fit better with voter groups you traditionally are strong with isn't democratic. It's what a dictator would do to give the impression an election is democratic because he would be guaranteed to win anyways.

I would do the same thing if i were a dictator. It's textbook dictatorial tactics.

Primaries aren’t provided for in the Constitution and the parties can structure them however they like.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2022, 08:40:58 PM »

I disagree. Would you like to participate in a quiz against me if i set the rules and determine what the questions would be. This is the political equivalent of that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2022, 08:51:12 PM »

The major problem with multiple movements in this day in age, is rather then find a way to sell your ideas to a group of people, or adapt to meet them where they are, the preference is to either ram it down their throats or find some away around that voting group.

Yet for the progressives, the last successful, progressive economic coalitions had strong support with both blacks and poor whites in the South, while shelving most of the hot button cultural issues. The decline of such, against a backdrop of cultural issues being placed front and center (even if arguably necessary), has been a steady decline in the economic progressiveness of the Democratic Party.

If Progressives are too succeed and take over the Democratic Party from the business types and the upper middle class, a sort new age Jackson/Bryan moment, then strong support with the poorer minorities and working class whites is an unavoidable necessity.

You can make all sorts of justifications why they vote the way they do, but at the end of the day, a way to alter this dynamic needs to be found, or it is the Clinton Democratic Party for eternity because those rich suburbs will never go along with the Sanders wing of the Party.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »

I disagree. Would you like to participate in a quiz against me if i set the rules and determine what the questions would be. This is the political equivalent of that.

It's not like that at all. The proper analogy is a quiz where somebody else sets the rules and questions, but you get to pick the order of the questions (which everyone knows in advance).
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2022, 11:55:09 PM »

Primaries aren’t provided for in the Constitution and the parties can structure them however they like.
As long as the parties don’t have literacy tests for voting in primaries or something like that.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2022, 03:27:49 AM »

This is all political theatre because NH, SC, and GA GOP legislatures aren’t changing their primary dates and they’re won’t be a competitive primary anyway.
Epaminondas

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2022, 04:34:35 AM »

If you won't concede that the Democratic party may alter its primary rules now, with the backing of the popular will and an ageing incumbent president who may not even stand for reëlection, you are effectively advocating setting arbitrary rules from 1972 in stone.

Textbook ultraconservatism.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies