Neutral map series
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:16:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Neutral map series
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Neutral map series  (Read 2618 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2022, 12:01:06 AM »

Double-checked everything.

Number of seats won by Biden and Trump respectively:
Midwest: (37/54)
Northeast: (55/21)
South: (74/90)
West: (26/26)
Nationwide: (192/191)

Interesting divides here. The entire R margin in the South comes from KY, TN, AL, and MS. One-third of all D seats in the South come from the Mid-Atlantic (VA, MD, DE). Ds taking huge hauls from the NE is really quite something, though not surprising. Ds will easily win big in CA and turn the West into a Dem stronghold. The R strength in the MW is noteworthy; their entire margin comes from IN, MO, KS, and the Dakotas.

The fact Ds are very narrowly leading if CA is not included speaks to how inefficient the Trump coalition is on congressional level.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2022, 12:15:58 AM »

Alabama

75% of the state is covered in whole-county CDs. One of these is the black-plurality AL-07, running almost the entire length of the state. While these are not necessarily compact to a high standard in a general sense, they are compact enough to justify their existence. I tried (and failed) to have no county splits at all. Unfortunately, Jefferson County cannot be paired with any of its neighbors to form a whole-county CD, unlike under 2010 numbers. I divided up the entire area that could not be drawn into whole-county CDs in a way that had compactness in mind and then called it a day. There are five Trump seats and two Biden seats.

AL-01 (Mobile): 63W, 27B; 64-35 Trump, R+16
AL-02 (Auburn): 63W, 28B; 66-33 Trump, R+19
AL-03 (Alabaster): 72W, 20B; 72-27 Trump, R+25
AL-04 (Decatur): 80W; 79-20 Trump, R+32
AL-05 (Huntsville): 69W, 17B; 65-34 Trump, R+19
AL-06 (Birmingham): 50W, 41B; 54-45 Biden, D+2
AL-07 (Montgomery): 47B, 46W; 53-46 Biden, D+2

DRA link

With how Republican Alabama was in 2022, it's not out of the question that both of those seats would have flipped for a 7-0 delegation.  Kay Ivey only lost Jefferson County by three points.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2022, 12:42:13 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2022, 01:02:04 AM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Alabama

75% of the state is covered in whole-county CDs. One of these is the black-plurality AL-07, running almost the entire length of the state. While these are not necessarily compact to a high standard in a general sense, they are compact enough to justify their existence. I tried (and failed) to have no county splits at all. Unfortunately, Jefferson County cannot be paired with any of its neighbors to form a whole-county CD, unlike under 2010 numbers. I divided up the entire area that could not be drawn into whole-county CDs in a way that had compactness in mind and then called it a day. There are five Trump seats and two Biden seats.

AL-01 (Mobile): 63W, 27B; 64-35 Trump, R+16
AL-02 (Auburn): 63W, 28B; 66-33 Trump, R+19
AL-03 (Alabaster): 72W, 20B; 72-27 Trump, R+25
AL-04 (Decatur): 80W; 79-20 Trump, R+32
AL-05 (Huntsville): 69W, 17B; 65-34 Trump, R+19
AL-06 (Birmingham): 50W, 41B; 54-45 Biden, D+2
AL-07 (Montgomery): 47B, 46W; 53-46 Biden, D+2

DRA link

With how Republican Alabama was in 2022, it's not out of the question that both of those seats would have flipped for a 7-0 delegation.  Kay Ivey only lost Jefferson County by three points.
The Walker County portion is about 5% of AL-06. That does not mean Rs could not win the wider CD of course. But its existence means Rs don't *have* to win in Jefferson County to win it, at least in theory. Btw, you prompted me to do some calculations, and I think Ivey won all these districts. She won AL-07 by 11k votes and AL-06 by 5k.

The big problem for Ds is long-term black rural depopulation. I drew AL-07 to avoid R strongholds like Elmore County, but if the D floor becomes low enough, it would be increasingly easy for Rs to win AL-07 despite its high black %. In the long run, rural blacks are leaving AL-07 for AL-06. AL-07 voting for Biden by less than AL-06 is sign of how much demographic change has already taken place. Even in 2009, I think it would be surprising to people that, seeing this map, the Birmingham CD is the best one for Dems - centered as it was on a jurisdiction that voted R for eons until 2008.

I don't think I see a Biden+7 seat voting R in a polarized midterm like 2022, but down the road, it might well be possible. It having Montgomery helps cushion rural depopulation, but does not void the risk entirely. Autauga County and Walker County will be important for R hopes in a close race in AL-07 and AL-06 respectively.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2022, 01:16:37 AM »

This whole thing reminds me of another major thing that you see here.

Yes, there are more Biden seats than Trump seats outside of California, but that also means that many of the Dem seats are more marginal as Dem votes are stretched across more seats. This means that there is a certain point to which they lose a lot of seats, but also, they have something of a cushion if their vote remains high enough. The median seat will probably be Biden+3 or something...marginally more R than the nation as a whole.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2022, 10:34:10 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b9f57cde-a86b-4bd3-bfab-e58ca55ab1c7
This is a CA map I've made. They reflect county nestings I have discovered and the criteria which I have worked with in this broader project.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2022, 05:17:33 PM »

So this is the final map outside of CA, and this is how I think these seats would have voted in 2022.

I went back and forth on AL but ultimately felt that D investment would keep Sewell afloat in AL-07 and Ds would win AL-06 by a few thousand votes.
There would probably be a lot of narrow D holds. On the flipside, in a year with only a bit more of a R-friendly NPV or a lot of D retirements, there could be a big flood of GOP gains.
This would yield 198R-183D outside of CA. If CA's House seats split the same way as OTL, then we would see a 225D-210R House.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2022, 08:46:23 PM »

OR-6 almost certainly flips. A Biden+9 seat in Oregon fell IRL, with Marion going solidly for Republicans and Linn giving North Korea numbers to Chavez-DeRemer, no way a Biden+2 seat doesn't fall in the same environment.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2022, 08:58:09 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2022, 10:06:52 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

California

This will be split up into Northern and Southern California.

I found CA to be a difficult place to make nestings for. A state with 52 congressional districts has only four nestings. I was able to draw two within Modoc, Siskiyou, Del Norte, Shasta, Trinity, Humboldt, Tehama, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties. This creates the second largest congressional district in the state, bordering Nevada. It is polarized between R-voting areas away from the coast, and coastal liberal areas (such as the Emerald Triangle). Humboldt and other coastal areas give Ds outsize margins, allowing them to outvote Republican strongholds in the interior. The rest of the cluster forms a very strongly Democratic CD rooted in the northern parts of the Bay Area.

Lassen, Plumas, Sierra, Butte, Glenn, Nevada, Yuba, Sutter, Colusa, Placer, El Dorado, Yolo, Amador, and Sacramento counties have four CDs between them. I drew the big rural one first, stopping at the Placer County border and then adding as much of Yolo County as possible. The rest of it ended up in the 5th, being placed in a Sacremento County-dominated CA-05. After that, there was a CA-06 drawn for compactness, and the rest was thrown in a CA-04 anchored by Placer County.

In the Bay Area, most of San Francisco lies within CA-11. The rest of the City and County of San Francisco not within CA-11 ends up in Marin-dominated CA-13. San Francisco itself is barely one-seventh of CA-13, but that is enough for it to be the biggest city within its borders, relegating San Mateo city to second place. The portion of San Francisco within CA-13 is Asian enough and large enough to increase the district's Asian plurality eight-fold all by itself.

Across the Bay, CA-07 takes in all of Fairfield and a significant part of Contra Costa. CA-07 is a very diverse district, with no racial group compromising more than 31% of the population and four groups with more than 15% by themselves. There are two districts centered on Alameda County: CA-12 and CA-14. The former is plurality White, the latter is plurality Asian. The former would also be perhaps the most liberal CD in the entire US, not too surprising given it contains Berkeley. Trump got mere single digits here. The numerical tally of Trump votes is so small, Berkeley's total population outnumbers it almost four times over in full.

The leftovers from Alameda were almost entirely from Fremont, a city that is 67% Asian. I sought to avoid having an almost 60% Asian district in southern Alameda and northern Santa Clara counties, so I placed these leftovers with the leftovers from San Mateo instead, and linked the two on land. The rest of Santa Clara was drawn with a Latino seat (and the desire to avoid splitting San Jose in three) in mind. The eventual Latino seat ended up having to reach elsewhere for population, and it took from San Benito to reach quota. This allows for the compact CA-18 to take the shape it does.

Heading into the Central Valley, San Jaoquin anchors CA-09, moving a bit outwards. CA-10, drawn to try to keep it (quasi-)Latino-performing, no longer has all of Stanislaus, losing it to a CA-19 that serves as something of a leftovers district. The smallest district in the Central Valley is CA-20, now taking in the city of Fresno and the places closest to its orbit within Fresno County itself. An additional county split was incurred in the Central Valley for sake of producing Latino seats, though I sought to make every district compact. I used Michigan Rules to guide my county splitting in this area. Compactness has forced the end of Inyo and Mono being paired together.

CA-21 is largely similar to its 2013-2023 iteration, except it has no parts of Tulare, less of Fresno, and more of Kern. Almost three-tenths of its population now lives in Bakerfield itself. Compactness and county split criteria made it hard to draw something significantly more Dem, so this CA-21 stands. Its partisanship is pretty much exactly the same as what it used to be, with it moving a point towards Republicans. The rest of Kern is placed in CA-22 that has about a sixth of the state's land area all to itself. CA-22 is drawn in the specific way that it is in order to create better districts in San Bernardino County. It is very steadfastly conservative.

All in all, Northern California has over half of the state's Trump districts (three out of five). The nestings were beneficial for Democrats as well by trapping a lot of Trump voters in "Jefferson" within Democratic-leaning districts and forcing Dem-favorable decisions in places like the Sacramento area, but the flip side is that Rs have the potential to make gains if their vote becomes more efficient.

CA-01 (Redding): 68W, 18H; 53-45 Biden, D+1
CA-02 (Santa Rosa): 59W, 27H; 77-21 Biden, D+26
CA-03 (Chico): 58W, 25H; 51-46 Biden, EVEN
CA-04 (Roseville): 68W, 14H, 12A; 52-46 Trump, R+6
CA-05 (Sacramento): 31W, 30H, 22A, 15B; 71-27 Biden, D+22
CA-06 (Elk Grove): 48W, 20A, 20H, 10B; 55-42 Biden, D+5
CA-07 (Vallejo): 31W, 31H, 21A, 16B; 71-27 Biden, D+22
CA-08 (Concord): 44W, 25H, 21A; 70-28 Biden, D+19
CA-09 (Stockton): 42H, 27W, 21A; 57-41 Biden, D+7
CA-10 (Modesto): 54H, 32W; 52-46 Biden, D+2
CA-11 (San Francisco): 43W, 35A, 14H; 86-12 Biden, D+38
CA-12 (Oakland): 33W, 25A, 24H, 18B; 89-9 Biden, D+41
CA-13 (San Francisco): 40A, 33W, 22H; 77-21 Biden, D+28
CA-14 (Hayward): 41A, 27W, 24H; 71-27 Biden, D+22
CA-15 (Fremont): 47A, 31W, 19H; 78-20 Biden, D+29
CA-16 (San Jose): 48A, 28W, 20H; 72-26 Biden, D+23
CA-17 (San Jose): 38H, 33A, 25W; 70-28 Biden, D+22
CA-18 (Salinas): 52H, 37W; 73-25 Biden, D+23
CA-19 (Visalia): 49H, 41W; 56-42 Trump, R+9
CA-20 (Fresno): 48H, 29W, 15A; 55-43 Biden, D+4
CA-21 (Bakersfield): 72H, 17W; 54-44 Biden, D+4
CA-22 (Bakersfield): 43W, 42H; 60-38 Trump, R+14
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2022, 09:00:18 PM »

OR-6 almost certainly flips. A Biden+9 seat in Oregon fell IRL, with Marion going solidly for Republicans and Linn giving North Korea numbers to Chavez-DeRemer, no way a Biden+2 seat doesn't fall in the same environment.
Duly noted.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2022, 12:28:58 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2022, 01:12:56 AM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Southern California

Along the coast of Southern California, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties almost were enough for a district, and Ventura County was too much for one district. Since crossing into Monterey or Kern was not an option, the only possibility was taking enough from Ventura to reach quota and then drawing another CD entirely within Ventura. The rest was paired with an LA County-based CD.

A northern LA County CD was drawn mostly identical to the one drawn by the Commission in OTL. I sought to draw 2 compact CDs in the San Fernando Valley, within the constraints of what I already drew. CA-29 serves as a leftover district between multiple minority seats. Declining AA numbers led me to consolidate many more Black areas into one seat. Pains were taken to reduce municipal splits, though quite a few seats cross the borders of city of Los Angeles and that cannot be helped.

Some districts do not have any part of Los Angeles itself. CA-28 splits the city of Glendale with CA-29, taking in as many Asian areas as possible within its vicinity while remaining compact. CA-35, CA-36, and CA-37 are Latino-majority districts anchored in the western portions of LA County. Bellflower is split between CA-35 and CA-37. El Monte is split between CA-36 and CA-37.

County nestings meant no seats crossing the Orange-LA county border. There is, however, one district crossing from San Bernardino. All three districts based in San Bernardino have been drawn to be at least Latino-influenced. One of the three is a swing district. Most of the city of San Bernardino itself is actually within the swing district, one that would be very likely to be R-won in 2022 but nonetheless voted for Biden.

Twelve districts are nested with Riverside, Imperial, San Diego, and Orange counties. In Riverside, like in San Bernardino, there are three Latino districts, though one also takes in all of another county (Imperial). They were drawn with compactness in mind. One of them (CA-39) is about nine or ten times bigger than the other two, combined, in terms of area - a function of it taking in the far less densely populated eastern parts of the county.

In Orange, I originally had a district running from La Habra to Santa Ana, but I revamped the county intensively twice upon final review. In my quest for box-like districts, I settled on an arrangement that largely left Santa Ana and the central Latino district as a last consideration and not a first one. This led to a changed CA-46 that now takes in most of Irvine, being left with nowhere to go. CA-44 is the northern part of the county, CA-45 is a compact Asian Belt district, CA-47 is the coastal OC CD, and CA-46 heads east, all the way to Mission Viejo. Anaheim is split because its municipal borders make it hard to keep whole; Huntington Beach is split because I would rather not split Santa Ana; and Irvine is split to make the coastal OC seat more compact.

Leftovers from Riverside and Orange are combined with a slice of San Diego (county) to form CA-48. This is one of only two Trump districts in Southern California. Its Orange County portion voted for Trump (Trump+3, 20% of the seat), and its Riverside portion is powerfully conservative (Trump+13), enough to make the seat right-leaning, outvoting the San Diego portion. About 45% of CA-48 also lives in this part of it. The San Diego portion voted for Biden by 7 points and is majority-minority, but at just 35% or so of the seat, it can be expected to be outvoted in most environments by more conservative areas within the nearby Inland Empire.

The East County of San Diego is part of CA-49, a district that has some heavily Democratic suburbs of San Diego but remains right-leaning thanks to big R margins in the aforementioned East County. This is the second Trump district entirely within Southern California. It has almost no parts of San Diego itself; the only small slice of the city it has is due to compactness considerations. It is almost majority-minority, but would probably have a rather durable R lean regardless.

Urban Latino areas within San Diego County form the core of CA-50, which has all of Chula Vista, some nearby suburbs, and areas that definitely have never suffered from a sudden dinosaur attack. It is 58% Latino, with no other group reaching 20%. Directly north is CA-51, the only seat essentially entirely within the city of San Diego itself. This district is decidedly white liberal and very safely Democratic. Finally, there is CA-52, which is centered on northern San Diego city and areas directly north. This seat would have been competitive once upon a time, but now it would be pretty liberal, giving Biden over 61% of the two-party vote.

All in all, there are 5 Trump seats and 47 Biden seats, but perhaps up to a dozen of these districts would be competitive, on both sides of the ledger. It seems that a lot of districts nationwide would be competitive here, and CA having more of said districts would be icing on the cake for that. The population distribution being what it is also shines through, because four districts (CA-01, CA-03, CA-19, and CA-22) together have a majority of the state's area but less than 8% of the population.

CA-23 (Santa Maria): 51W, 38H; 61-37 Biden, D+10
CA-24 (Oxnard): 46H, 41W, 10A; 60-38 Biden, D+9
CA-25 (Santa Clarita): 46H, 32W, 12B, 10A; 56-42 Biden, D+5
CA-26 (Los Angeles): 48W, 29H, 17A; 65-33 Biden, D+16
CA-27 (Los Angeles): 60H, 26W, 10A; 72-25 Biden, D+26
CA-28 (Pasadena): 43A, 28H, 25W; 69-29 Biden, D+20
CA-29 (Los Angeles): 62W, 17H, 15A; 73-26 Biden, D+25
CA-30 (Los Angeles): 57H, 20A, 17W; 82-16 Biden, D+35
CA-31 (Los Angeles): 65H, 24B; 86-12 Biden, D+40
CA-32 (Los Angeles): 53W, 20A, 20H; 75-23 Biden, D+25
CA-33 (Los Angeles): 53H, 30B, 11A; 82-16 Biden, D+35
CA-34 (Long Beach): 43H, 28W, 17A, 12B; 68-29 Biden, D+19
CA-35 (East Los Angeles): 88H; 77-21 Biden, D+31
CA-36 (West Covina): 55H, 29A, 13W; 63-35 Biden, D+15
CA-37 (Norwalk): 61H, 20A, 15W; 65-33 Biden, D+15
CA-38 (Ontario): 54H, 23W, 15A; 58-40 Biden, D+8
CA-39 (San Bernardino): 54H, 28W, 13B; 48.9-48.8 Biden, R+2
CA-40 (Fontana): 58H, 22W, 10A, 10B; 59-39 Biden, D+9
CA-41 (Indio): 59H, 32W; 58-40 Biden, D+8
CA-42 (Riverside): 52H, 28W, 12A; 54-44 Biden, D+4
CA-43 (Moreno Valley): 55H, 26W, 12B; 54-44 Biden, D+3
CA-44 (Anaheim): 43H, 33W, 21A; 53-45 Biden, D+2
CA-45 (Garden Grove): 37A, 34H, 26W; 51-47 Biden, D+3
CA-46 (Santa Ana): 43H, 28A, 26W; 61-37 Biden, D+11
CA-47 (Huntington Beach): 60W, 20H, 16A; 51-47 Biden, EVEN
CA-48 (Oceanside): 51W, 29H, 13A; 51-47 Trump, R+6
CA-49 (boomers dying inEscondido): 51W, 32H; 50-48 Trump, R+4
CA-50 (San Diego): 58H, 17A, 17W; 67-31 Biden, D+19
CA-51 (San Diego): 52W, 23H, 17A; 70-28 Biden, D+19
CA-52 (San Diego): 51W, 22A, 22H; 60-38 Biden, D+8

DRA link
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2022, 01:10:42 AM »

Biden/Trump seats per Census Region
Midwest: (37/54)
Northeast: (55/21)
South: (74/90)
West: (73/31)
Nationwide: (239/196)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2022, 03:58:01 PM »

I'm making a ranking of each district by 2020 presidential margin.
This is what I have so far.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »

Update.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2022, 03:55:00 AM »

Roughly 3/4 done. Added the at-large seats too.

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2022, 02:48:12 PM »

At this point, I can essentially confirm PA-02 (91.7-7.7 Biden, D+41) is the most Democratic district in the country, and TX-13 (78.8-19.9 Trump, R+33) is the most Republican. Everything has been inputted in except for CA.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2022, 04:29:47 PM »

Apparently, the whole thing I was doing exceeds the character limit. Ok. I will post two separate lists. One for Biden seats, another for Trump seats. Two separate posts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2022, 04:30:36 PM »

Biden seats

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2022, 04:31:30 PM »

Trump seats

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2022, 06:58:03 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2022, 07:32:54 PM by Southern Delegate and Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

Blank map

My best guess at how these vote in 2022

House result: 225D-210R

States where Ds do better than OTL:
AZ (O'Halleran very narrowly holds on)
CA (Ds net one more seat, though Rs win more Biden districts than OTL)
CO (more marginal seats means more room for Polis and Bennet to lift more Ds into the House)
TX (the R vote in TX is incredibly inefficient, and nesting hurts TX Rs)
GA (lack of a GOP gerrymander=automatic D gains)
OH (nesting of Lorain and Cuyahoga counties nets Ds a seat)
NC (I have the Sandhills seat as Dem here; flip that and they do as good as OTL)
SC (Ds ultimately benefit from compactness and county integrity requirements)
UT (Salt Lake County is no longer cracked, hence a D gain)
FL (Luna probably loses this St. Petersburg seat)
IA (this version of IA-03 probably re-elects Axne)
TN (no Nashville crack=better map for Ds by default)

States where Rs do better than OTL:
OR (lack of a D gerrymander aids Rs significantly)
NM (Herell survives and is basically entirely safe for the decade)
IL (lack of a D gerrymander allows Rs to double their seat tally from OTL)
MI (the lines in the Grand Rapids area are less D favorable, so no D seats there)
CT (CT-05 is significantly more R friendly here)
NJ (the map here is much better for Republicans)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies