Neutral map series

(1/24) > >>

President Punxsutawney Phil:
Here is TimTurner with yet another map series.

My biggest goals this time are to emphasize county (and municipality) split reduction and compactness. This is similar to past projects, but those were with 2010s allotments and populations, not post-2020 ones. This time around, I will try to reach max neatness and non-partisanness with 2020 populations.
The order in which I do states will be more unpredictable and there will not be the clear east-west pattern I have most often adhered to.

Oregon

It is logical to have all of Eastern Oregon in one seat. If one has to grab more, then Jackson County is the best place to look. It makes sense to then place all of the rest in Southern Oregon with Lane, as much as can be done while also keeping Eugene in one CD. North of OR-04 is the new OR-06, which is extremely swingy and winnable for both parties (just like OR-04). Finally, OR-01 is made more compact with the addition of Tillamook County, and it no longer splits Multnomah. OR-05 moves closer to its pre-2002 form and now Portland is practically unified in one congressional district. OR-05 takes in the leftovers from both Multnomah and the existing OR-01, pushed west as it is both by population growth in Washington County (growing faster than the state), and by its taking of Tillamook.

In a huge D landslide, Ds would have a slim chance at a sweep, but in most iteration of "good D year" they just win all but OR-02. In a good R year, Ds could be limited to 3-3 or even 4R-2D (with Ds only winning OR-01 and OR-03), though Rs winning a House seat with that much of Washington County and Multnomah looks questionable. There are 4 Biden districts and 2 Trump districts.

District number (biggest city): all racial groups at or above 10% (after rounding); 2020 vote (rounded to nearest intreger), 2016/2020 PVI (rounded to nearest intreger)
OR-01 (Hillsboro): 65W, 17H, 11A; 60-37 Biden, D+9
OR-02 (Bend): 75W, 15H; 54-43 Trump; R+9
OR-03 (Portland): 66W, 12H, 11A; 83-15 Biden, D+33
OR-04 (Eugene): 80W; 49-48 Trump, R+4
OR-05 (Gresham): 72W, 14H; 55-42 Biden, D+4
OR-06 (Salem): 73W, 16H; 49-47 Biden, R+2

DRA link

Wisconsin

So I had some difficulty here. I decided I wanted to minimize overall number of splits (both counties and municipalities); draw a CD with Appleton, Fond du Lac, and other areas in between; keep all three WoW counties together; and put Dane in with whatever combo of counties would allow me to draw a whole-county CD. Central WI was tricky; I ended up putting Wausau in with Green Bay and Stevens Point in with La Crosse. I was able to attain four districts outside SE WI that were all compact. Rock-Walworth-Racine-Kenosha-part of Milwaukee, Waukesha-Ozaukee-Washington-part of Milwaukee, and the rest of Milwaukee were three seats that then drew themselves.

The new WI-03 is only very marginally more conservative than its predecessor. It likely is still won by Derrick Van Orden, though the fact the seat is now thrown into Madison's orbit might make it a worse fit for him overall. WI-05 gains high-turnout white liberals, but these places will be repeatedly outvoted. I was able to have only two counties with any splits and there are zero municipal splits within a county (thanks to me using a deviation band of 1%). Only 2 districts voted for Joe Biden, but there are two more districts also winnable for Dems.

WI-01 (Kenosha): 75W, 12H; 51-48 Trump, R+3
WI-02 (Madison): 79W; 67-31 Biden, D+16
WI-03 (La Crosse): 90W; 52-46 Trump, R+5
WI-04 (Milwaukee): 41W, 34B, 19H; 73-25 Biden, D+23
WI-05 (Waukesha): 86W; 57-42 Trump, R+11
WI-06 (Appleton): 85W; 56-42 Trump, R+10
WI-07 (Eau Claire): 90W; 56-42 Trump, R+9
WI-08 (Green Bay): 85W; 58-40 Trump, R+11

DRA link

Maine is so simple I don't even need an image.

ME-01 is composed of Cumberland, York, Oxford, and Androscoggin counties. 89% White; 59-39 Biden, D+7. Biggest city is Portland.

ME-02 is composed of Franklin, Sagadhoc, Somerset, Kennebec, Lincoln, Piscataquis, Waldo, Knox, Arostook, Penobscot, Hancock, and Washington counties. 92% White; 50-48 Trump, R+4. Biggest city is Bangor.

DRA link

New Hampshire is very easy to do and took literally 45 seconds to draw.

NH-01 is composed of Carroll, Belknap, Strafford, and Rockinham counties, as well as Manchester and Pelham in Hillsborough County. 87% White; 51-47 Biden, R+1. Biggest city is Manchester.

NH-02 is composed of all of Hillsborough County less Manchester and Pelham, as well as Merrimack, Chesire, Sullivan, Grafton, and Coos counties. 87% White; 54-44 Biden, D+2. Biggest city is Nashua.

DRA link

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page