Which State would you rather live in: Michigan or Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:30:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which State would you rather live in: Michigan or Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which State would you rather live in
Michigan

Florida

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: Which State would you rather live in: Michigan or Florida  (Read 2548 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« on: November 28, 2022, 07:58:18 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2022, 08:01:29 PM by Alben Barkley »

You don't get swamp ass in Michigan. Their lakeside beaches are actually much nicer than Florida in the summer due to it not being super f--king hot. They also have actual seasons, underrated scenery in places like the UP as opposed to the tourist traps that make up most of Florida, nicer smarter and less crazy people, better politics, and a better flagship university and college town to go with it. They have an actual, unique and interesting culture, whereas Florida feels like one big Jimmy Buffett/Disney resort. Oh and no gators or sharks in Michigan.

This isn't even a contest.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »

I read somewhere that cold air actually makes you smarter. That's a point in favor of Michigan.

Holy hell, it's actually true. And explains so much...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/warm-weather-makes-it-hard-think-straight/
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 08:44:19 PM »

They have an actual, unique and interesting culture
Moving to grand fucking rapids over Miami because of the "interesting culture" lmfao. DT is correct and only terminally politicsbrained freaks would disagree.

I was thinking much more Detroit than Grand Rapids but way to strawman.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 08:45:20 PM »

Florida (normal)

It's always amusing to watch the Red Atlas' contrived reactions to this hugely successful, dynamic and diverse state.  They hate it so much only because of how it has consistently shifted away from their party for over 20 years now, exposing their "demographics is destiny" hubris. 

This is definitely part of it but I don't think it's all of it. A lot of Atlas posters have always been very performative about how much they hate places with warm weather. I think that this is because they don't go outside.

I love most of the rest of the South and outdoor activities in general (Colorado might well be my favorite state) so try again.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 08:50:11 PM »

I just want to remind you that you live in a state that is so unanimously agreed by everyone to be the worst state in the country that it has its own Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_God_for_Mississippi

Despite your snide remarks, I can assure you that the only reason I dislike Florida is NOT its politics and certainly not the "demographics are destiny" BS; I live in and love Kentucky for God's sake! I have actually spent a lot of time in both states (indeed possibly more in those two states combined than any other combination of states that doesn't include Kentucky) but genuinely just admire the qualities I mention more in Michigan and am unpersuaded by a single one of your so-called counter-arguments. (Such as not caring at all how many snowbirds move from Michigan to Florida.)

And yeah I exaggerate some of my Florida hate for comedic effect. I wouldn't have spent as much time as I have there otherwise! I'd still in all seriousness take it over, say, Ohio, and certainly Mississippi! (Which is like ONLY the worst parts of Florida.) But as a place to actually live, it just strikes me as somewhat soulless and empty (partly for the reasons Torie described), and I'd just get too f--king sick of the goddamn heat too fast. Even Arizona, which I've compared to Florida in other threads, has places in the Northern part of the state with more varied climates where you can escape the heat. Florida is just pure swamp ass.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 10:47:47 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2022, 11:00:43 PM by Alben Barkley »

I think Sam Houston's warning to the secessionists pretty much sums up this thread:

After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives, you may win Southern independence if God be not against you, but I doubt it. I tell you that, while I believe with you in the doctrine of states rights, the North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche; and what I fear is, they will overwhelm the South.

It's why the North won then and always has won, really. I say this as someone raised more culturally Southern than Northern. (And is DEFINITELY a "fiery, impulsive" person.) It's simply undeniable.

The people of the North are constantly underestimated by arrogant Southerners putting down "Yankees." To this very day. This is no less true of Florida vs. Michigan than any other Southern vs. Northern state match-up. But I find at the end of the day, the North almost always wins out in almost every way.

This doesn't mean I don't love the South because I do. Much more than the North on the whole, in fact. I just think it's rather foolish to deny all the advantages the North has over it. Michigan is simply a greater state than Florida, and certainly has been for most of each state's history.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies