Which of these actions is more white supremacist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:50:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these actions is more white supremacist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these actions is more white supremacist?
Not listening to any rap music

Listening to Kanye West

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Which of these actions is more white supremacist?  (Read 1368 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2022, 11:19:24 PM »

VERY obviously Option 2!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 02:05:04 AM »

Neither of these actions are "white supremacist" by any sensible definition of the term. One could seriously argue that listening to music is inherently apolitical even if the music in question has political content, but here it pretty clearly doesn't.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 02:22:51 AM »

Neither of these actions are "white supremacist" by any sensible definition of the term. One could seriously argue that listening to music is inherently apolitical even if the music in question has political content, but here it pretty clearly doesn't.

Plenty of rap has political content. Not listening to it still isn't "white supremacist", in the same way that it's not antisemitic not to listen to Mahler.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 02:33:46 AM »

Plenty of rap has political content. Not listening to it still isn't "white supremacist", in the same way that it's not antisemitic not to listen to Mahler.
Was buying GTA during the Bush years an activist act designed to highlight the state of America's "inner cities"?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 11:04:27 AM »

Yes but that's apparently a controversial position here with some.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 01:41:25 AM »

It depends on why they don't listen to rap, but neither of these actions are inherently a demonstration of white supremacy.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 01:44:45 AM »

It depends on why they don't listen to rap, but neither of these actions are inherently a demonstration of white supremacy.

I would say that categorically not listening to rap is sometimes-to-often indicative of mild racism (in the way that categorically not listening to country can be indicative of mild classism and categorically not listening to classical music or jazz can be indicative of mild antiintellectualism), but in no case should this be escalated to the point of throwing around words like "supremacist," potent terms that should continue to have real force to them rather than being reduced to verbal gang signs.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »

This brings me to another thing I've been musing lately, while the notion that listening to music or in this case consuming any type of media is inherently apolitical and an effectively morally neutral act has been the consensus of the vast majority of people throughout time and now, in the past it was usually the right who dissented from this, first in the standard case of religious conservatives condemning "immoral" media but also blacklisting individuals who expressed contrary political views, the canceling of the artists then known as the Dixie Chicks is the most notable example, although there's other examples of failed right-wing boycotts of films starring outspoken liberals even though yeah >90% go nowhere.

However in recent years the left has actually seemed to adopt this sort of mindset as well in terms to consuming "problematic" media (see for example how in 2020 some were calling to boycott all cop shows including Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Paw Patrol), and taken a bit of a previously almost unheard of position that not consuming certain media is also inherently problematic, be it not listening to rap music or not watching some indie film made by a queer woman of color...also lately this has kind of been extended by some to not partaking in film genres generally associated with women and/or teenagers like Twilight-style paranormal romances. Another thing that both the left and right have developed is a knee-jerk contrarian streak where if one work gets attacked by the other side they rush to the defense even if it's not something that's attacked for reasons of ideology, see all the conservatives rushing to Kanye West now for being "canceled" even though no conservative would defense his barely coherent anti-Semitic ramblings or how various blue check types come up with takes about how you're inherently problematic and bigoted if you don't like the Disney Star Wars movies or even latest Marvel Cinematic Universe ones as if big budget works from the biggest corporations in media are now somehow things that the left has a moral imperative to defend just because some right-wing trolls attacked them.

Now I know this is the sort of thing where people will usually (correctly) respond that this is really just a Twitter thing that virtually no one in the real world cares about...yes that is totally correct, but it's still a valid observation that this wasn't found even in obscure leftist online circles much until about 7-8 years ago, so it's an interesting new development regardless. I don't expect it to last long though even on Twitter (or whatever replaces it once Elon Musk sets it on fire for good), ideologies based around attacking media consumption and moral panics of the nature never last and never truly win (see the Hayes Code, various 50s ones about TV and literature, the one over music and the PMRC in the 80s, violent video games in the 90s or the aforementioned fact that well over 90% of attempted boycotts go nowhere.)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 02:28:54 PM »

Listening to Kanye West because of what he said is more white supremacist but I agree with Vosem. 
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 09:06:10 PM »

I would say that categorically not listening to rap is sometimes-to-often indicative of mild racism (in the way that categorically not listening to country can be indicative of mild classism and categorically not listening to classical music or jazz can be indicative of mild antiintellectualism), but in no case should this be escalated to the point of throwing around words like "supremacist," potent terms that should continue to have real force to them rather than being reduced to verbal gang signs.

What is not listening to emo or post hardcore sometimes indicative of?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 08:04:47 PM »

Having good taste?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 02:02:15 PM »

Good taste.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »

I honestly find it hard to believe that a substantial number of people consciously don't listen to music that they'd otherwise enjoy simply because of the cultural/racial connotations that come with it. For example, I prefer highly melodic music, which is why I enjoy folk music, classical music, blues, old country, early classic rock, certain pop songs, and a wide number of eclectic genres that have this trait. I simultaneously don't enjoy EDM, rap, screamo emo, heavy metal, or highly experimental jazz because they normally don't have clear melodies. I just don't see a genre's cultural associations being the "but-for" cause of someone disliking it. If you find a song pleasing to the ear, it's hard to resist enjoying it (at the very least, as a guilty pleasure).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »

I honestly find it hard to believe that a substantial number of people consciously don't listen to music that they'd otherwise enjoy simply because of the cultural/racial connotations that come with it. For example, I prefer highly melodic music, which is why I enjoy folk music, classical music, blues, old country, early classic rock, certain pop songs, and a wide number of eclectic genres that have this trait. I simultaneously don't enjoy EDM, rap, screamo emo, heavy metal, or highly experimental jazz because they normally don't have clear melodies. I just don't see a genre's cultural associations being the "but-for" cause of someone disliking it. If you find a song pleasing to the ear, it's hard to resist enjoying it (at the very least, as a guilty pleasure).
I recommended this because I agree with most of it but the bolded part is simply LOL in how wrong it is.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 03:27:30 PM »

I recommended this because I agree with most of it but the bolded part is simply LOL in how wrong it is.

Do you play an instrument, BRTD?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »

Do you play an instrument, BRTD?
No but I have it on word from many that do....such as the people who play emo themselves. Example:

Who the hell would ever say this doesn't include any melody?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 04:51:23 PM »

No but I have it on word from many that do....such as the people who play emo themselves. Example:

Who the hell would ever say this doesn't include any melody?

I'm not going to get into the weeds of music theory with you, because I am not an expert... but there is a somewhat intangible difference between a melody and a riff. (I would also argue that not all melodies are melodic, but that's a matter of taste.) A riff is a simpler, bassier, more repetitious sequence of notes-- typically two to four measures long-- that underpins the song. The video you just posted features a simple riff (two measures long at the beginning) with a man screaming over it. I hope we can both agree that screaming is not melodic.

Riffs are essential to song construction (Led Zeppelin had fantastic riffs in almost every song, even their worst ones), but they don't create melodies until some variation or overlay is introduced.

I'm not a big Guns N Roses fan, but this is a decent song. You have the opening riff with underlying power chords supporting it. It repeats several times with very minor variations. Then the melody kicks in at 0:45 when the singing starts. I bet your horrible emo music could be pretty nice if the singers bothered to, well, sing, but they sadly don't. The video you posted is essentially limited to a basic and not very imaginative riff.

The mark of true creativity (and this goes for any profession, not just music) is the ability to take a central theme and produce variations on it that still feel new. Classical composers were great at this; notice how many different melodies Dvořák can extract from this piece (listen to the beginning and then at 4:14). This is why I also enjoy the work of film composers; they must create individual compositions that evoke emotions that are appropriate for specific scenes, but the pieces as a whole must form some uniform structure.

Regardless of the genre, good composers do not just play the same friggin' two bars over and over and over again. And they definitely don't blow out a lung screaming like a ferret in heat. To some degree, this is still a matter of taste. But it is worth noting that it's possible to faithfully transpose almost any "melodic" piece of music to the piano. The things you can't fully transpose-- rap or screaming emo people-- don't interest me.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 10:19:31 PM »

The bolded is how I feel as well but you've got to remember these people in wokeland have no genuine likes or dislikes and base all their opinions on the identity traits of the individuals involved. So that's why they assume everyone else is doing the same, so if you don't like rap it must be because you don't like black people, exc. Same deal with accusing people who don't like girly pop music of being sexist, ignoring the fact that most of those people don't like, say, Justin Bieber or Justin Timberlake either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies