LGC 10.24 — Humans Have Legs Act — FAILED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:50:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 10.24 — Humans Have Legs Act — FAILED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 10.24 — Humans Have Legs Act — FAILED  (Read 522 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2022, 11:08:45 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2022, 03:37:45 PM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

The Humans Have Legs Act

Section I - Title
The bill may be cited as The Humans Have Legs Act

Section II - Establishment of the Freedom of Movement
Lincoln will from now on consider freedom of movement as an essential human right, which essentially means that humans are able to freely move wherever they want to go, with the following exceptions
1. If personal property of one is trespassed, including both personal and government properties.

Section III - Implications
1. Lincoln no longer has the right to extradite people from their territory, incl. non-citizens.
2. Lincoln will commit to making transport or movement of people accessible for all people.
3. Non-citizens from Lincoln (outside Atlasia) no longer need paper work or visa to enter Lincoln territory.
4. Establishing a lockdown in Lincoln - even for safety or health reasons - that violates the human right of freedom of movement will be illegal and considered a crime
5. Lincoln will commit to other regions within Atlasia and other countries following the same guidelines and possibly encouraging constitutional change.

Section IV - Effective Date
This legislation shall take effect on 1 January 2023.

Occupying: Slot 5 of 10
Sponsor: Lakigigar
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »

Extradition by each Region is Constitiutionally required.

https://talkelections.org/AFEWIKI/index.php?title=Fifth_Constitution_(single_page)

Article VII Section 1 Clause 3

A person charged in any Region with treason, felony, or other crime, who shall flee from justice, and be found in another Region, shall on demand of the executive authority of the Region from which they fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the Region having jurisdiction of the crime.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 12:58:10 PM »

We swore an oath to uphold the constitution. Voting for this would be a direct violation of that oath. Would urge the sponsor to withdraw or the Speaker to call a motion to table the bill.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 02:37:34 PM »

Proposed amendment

The Humans Have Legs Act

Section I - Title

Lincoln will from now on consider freedom of movement as an essential human right, which essentially means that humans are able to freely move wherever they want to go, with the following exceptions
1. If personal property of one is trespassed, including both personal and government properties.

1. Lincoln no longer has the right to extradite people from their territory, incl. non-citizens. With an exception for people charged in any region with treason, felony or another crime.
2. Lincoln will commit to making transport or movement of people accessible for all people.
3. Non-citizens from Lincoln (outside Atlasia) no longer need paper work or visa to enter Lincoln territory.
4. Establishing a lockdown in Lincoln - even for safety or health reasons - that violates the human right of freedom of movement will be illegal and considered a crime
5. Lincoln will commit to other regions within Atlasia and other countries following the same guidelines and possibly encouraging constitutional change.

Section IV - Effective Date

I'm more talking of stopping the debate on illegal immigration instead of "protecting criminals".
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 06:37:41 PM »

Generally speaking this can open the same loophole that open borders has. I'm not opposed to the bill in theory, but I'd suggest you add an amendment that prevents businesses from creating a de-facto slave class by paying illegal immigrants pauper wages.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 08:35:04 PM »

Generally speaking this can open the same loophole that open borders has. I'm not opposed to the bill in theory, but I'd suggest you add an amendment that prevents businesses from creating a de-facto slave class by paying illegal immigrants pauper wages.

I agree with you on that, do you have an idea for an amendment that would prevent this loophole?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:44:13 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2022, 08:48:07 PM by Laki »

Proposed amendment

The Humans Have Legs Act

Section I - Title

1. Lincoln no longer has the right to extradite people from their territory, incl. non-citizens. With an exception for people charged in any region with treason, felony or another crime.
3. Non-citizens from Lincoln (outside Atlasia) no longer need paper work or a travel visa to enter Lincoln territory.

Section IV - Right To Work Amendment
1. While this act does establish the freedom of movement, it does not change the current legislation on right to work laws, re-iterating that
a. Non-citizens of Lincoln need to respect current legislation that applies with regards to employment to them.

Section V - Effective Date

I'm not sure if the amendment is necessary, because it might not violate that loophole, since "freedom of movement" does not necessarily mean an individual has the right to do labour (which is an entirely different thing). And while there is no difference between citizens and non-citizens in interpreting "freedom of movement", it does not remove that distinction with regards to following other laws, incl. justice or employment.

In the amendment i made some fixes, incl. removing paper work and referring to "travel visa", while for labour, i assume one needs a work visa or proof that they're allowed to work within Lincoln (or Atlasia).
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 11:08:37 PM »

The Laki amendment is adopted.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 12:13:03 AM »

Motioning for a final vote.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 05:07:16 AM »

A final vote on this bill has been initiated.

Nay
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:28 AM »

Nay
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 08:39:54 AM »

Abstain
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 08:47:33 AM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 03:37:02 PM »

Tiebreaker: Nay

Come on guys, this basically makes covid style lockdowns illegal. While I do not support one now, I'd rather not have my hands tied if the time comes

Also literally open borders, which regardless lf your opinion is a federal issue anyways
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 02:07:11 AM »

Tiebreaker: Nay

Come on guys, this basically makes covid style lockdowns illegal. While I do not support one now, I'd rather not have my hands tied if the time comes

Also literally open borders, which regardless lf your opinion is a federal issue anyways

They should be illegal, to me it's common sense if covid style lockdowns are illegal. I'll re-introduce this legislation next session. I'm willing to deal with the open borders if that's the issue, but i'm a human rights believer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies