Do you say grace before dinner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:38:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you say grace before dinner?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: --
Yes, always

Yes, sometimes

No, but I used to

No, never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Do you say grace before dinner?  (Read 1064 times)
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2022, 04:56:43 PM »

No, and when I’m with other people doing it I just sit or stand quietly.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2022, 07:38:48 PM »

No, but if we did, I’d prefer it to be my late uncle’s favorite version: “In the name of the father, the son, and the Holy Ghost, he who eats the fastest eats the most. Amen, dive in.”
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2022, 07:59:59 PM »

No, but I respect those who do.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2022, 08:00:18 PM »

On Thanksgiving? Always.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2022, 08:30:57 PM »

No but I join in if another does.  I've said it at a holiday meal once or twice.  I think it's a very nice custom for big holiday meals.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2022, 12:46:36 AM »

No, as an Atheist not my bag, regardless of my respect for relatives who chose to observe a Christian or Jewish blessing prior to eating food in a family and friend style setting.

First time I ever saw something like this when I was somewhere around 9-10 yo yrs, and spending a dinner meal (Pasta & Meatballs), visiting a Middle School friend of mine in six grade, who lived not that far (within walking distance).

Recall it was the first time I had ever seen Star Trek (TV series), but it was a bit weird.

Time Travel fast forward decades later, and am visiting my Dad, his 3rd Wife, my youngest sister (from another mother), plus my current wife in SF.

Erica who at that time was living in the City by the Bay, with her BF up in the Marina District...

My sister gives us an awesome tour of the City, took us up to an awesome Italian-American restaurant in North Beach, basically Joe DiMaggio's old stomping ground from way back in the '50s.

https://www.lagazzettaitaliana.com/heritage/9210-little-italy-san-francisco

So we all go into one of the classic neighborhood Italian-American restaurants, and although there weren't many others there at the time, my Dad insisted on "doing grace".

Needless to say, it embarrassed even my younger sister who grew up in a bit of an Evangelical Christian scene, not to mention my wife and the immaculately groomed Italian-American wait-staff at the restaurant.

So just Yesterday on Thankgiving Day thought it might be interesting to toss a curveball for a family dinner up in Portland, Oregon.

As the eldest man in the room, once everyone is seated at a proper dining table, I say "Who will be the first to say grace?".

Needless to say, got tons of immediate weird looks and reactions, since got a bit of a rep of being an Atheist.

Still proposed a motion after which was seconded "round table style", about what are you most thankful for on this Thanksgiving....

Grace not my thing, being thankful is cool, and yeah totally grok how major native nations were destroyed under European colonizers over centuries and decades..

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2022, 05:06:16 AM »

No.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2022, 06:33:06 AM »

I don't remember ever seeing anyone in my family do it and this includes pretty religious people so no. I have seen the ritual on TV too (specifically Blue Bloods, all time bronzist show), I wonder if it is simply less common here even accounting for religiosity. Obviously I have never celebrated Thanksgiving either.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2022, 07:48:33 AM »

I stopped saying grace before dinner a long time ago. My family usually only did it when our grandparents were around anyways.

These days, I only say grace before
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »

No, but I make the sign of the cross.

Family used to say grace at Thanksgiving, but there was never any handholding. Handholding is gay, and I'm NOT gay. I'm not gay.

Handholding is a gesture of agreement.  "One can put a thousand to flight; two can put ten thousand to flight, and a three-fold cord is not easily broken."

Obviously I was making a joke.

I don't care if people hold hands or not. I wasn't raised to pray or say grace after every meal. Poverty taught me to be thankful for everything I get. Regardless of who farmed it, regardless of the poor soul whose meat is delicious and high in protein. Not everyone can be afforded such a bounty, and that is a problem we must solve.

Making the sign of the cross does not eradicate this obviously, but expressions of appreciation are welcomed and encouraged by God and may serve as a catalyst to feed those who are hungry, in accordance with what is commanded of us, as humans are ultimately the hands and feet of Christ.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2022, 11:56:06 AM »

the whole point is “giving thanks”!
I don't need a fake holiday to say thanks to the person hosting and/or preparing the meal or the guests for their company.

Why should I thank randoms who aren't in the room or a space God?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2022, 07:42:42 PM »

We have food supply workers, chefs, or even ourselves or whomever else cooks and prepares our food more to thank than a deity.

In essence, no, I am not remotely religious.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2022, 04:51:14 AM »

Don't you have to all be at the same table (or room) for that? In terms of holiday family gatherings, half the family eats at the dinner table and the other half eats in the living room watching TV.

My answer is no, though I have been at large dinners where someone says a prayer before eating (but that's always been a prayer for someone or some people in particular).
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2022, 05:54:38 PM »

I stopped when I stopped believing. I just want to eat and praying just wastes time
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 04:51:09 PM »

Yes. Before every meal.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »

If we are sitting down as a family at the dinner table, then yes we try to remember to do so. If we put the kids to sleep already and are bringing our dinner in front of the tv, then no.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2022, 06:21:43 PM »

Talking about generally? My wife and I have been trying to pray before our dinner lately.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2022, 06:29:18 PM »

No, never.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2022, 07:59:45 PM »

We use to growing up, my Grandpa was pretty notorious for long-winded prayers before dinner. Especially at big family meals like Thanksgiving or Easter. My Aunt referred to them as a 'Christian Seance' which I always kinda liked the idea of. Tongue
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2022, 10:10:25 AM »

GOD is cause and effect and Death is Nirvana Buddhahood or Reincarnation or judgement day whatever prayer or good causes you put out the better but no you don't have to say grace before Dinner but the more positive causes you put out the better

Just like my Dad had all these girlfriends and no one visited him before he died in a nursing home he could of been salvaged but thats his destiny or sins that made him die at that time just like my mom died at my sister house, it was hospice

Just like you pray to win the lottery or for a job or become a millionaire if you don't do anything to get there it's not gonna happen
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »

We have food supply workers, chefs, or even ourselves or whomever else cooks and prepares our food more to thank than a deity.

In essence, no, I am not remotely religious.

How do you feel about "bless this food, and the hands that prepared it" or its variants?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies