Is it possible DeSantis doesn't run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:47:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it possible DeSantis doesn't run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it possible DeSantis doesn't run?  (Read 646 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:56:06 AM »

Do you think DeSantis somehow doesn't end up running? Or is there any reason to believe he won't and essentially leave it to Trump because of a strategic miscalculation that it's long term better for him to have Trump losing to Biden?

Or are we're already at a point where his entrance is a question of time?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 11:03:20 AM »

I think it's possible he concludes: 1.) he can't beat Trump in a primary or 2.) even if he does, he's smart enough to foresee Trump as vindictive enough to torpedo his chances in the general election.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »

Certainly.  He has a young family and a wife who recently had cancer.  But if he ever wants to be president, playing the wait-and-see game is not a good bet.  He's most likely old news by 2028 (just ask Presidents Christie and Huckabee!)   
Spectator
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 11:50:17 AM »

Certainly.  He has a young family and a wife who recently had cancer.  But if he ever wants to be president, playing the wait-and-see game is not a good bet.  He's most likely old news by 2028 (just ask Presidents Christie and Huckabee!)   

Yeah, it’s 2024 or never. Just look at Cruz. His one shot to win was 2016, and now he’s a National laughing stock if he ever ran again.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »

It's possible, but I think if he's going to do it, this is the time. 6 years from now, he will be out of office for 2 years and probably out of the national spotlight, unless he runs for Senator, but I don't think we will unseat Rubio or Scott.

I think either way, if he defeats Trump in a primary, Trump will try to sabotage DeSantis's chances. Trump probably won't run as an independent because a lot of states have a sore loser rule, but he could recruit and endorse a third party candidate.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 02:06:32 PM »

DeSantis is resourceful enough to find some dirt on Trump, blackmail the bum! That's the only language he understands! Have a 3rd party approach Trump, "We have some nasty sh*t on you, it would be a shame if the feds were to get it! & we'll make sure that everyone knows they have this dirt too, so Don you will have a lot of problems of your own! To worry about me!"
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 02:08:22 PM »

Of course it's possible, but assuming nothing weird happens to him or his family then I'd be surprised if he didn't run. This is his only chance and the Republican Party (not necessarily its voters) is desperate for him to do so.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 03:28:24 PM »

I honestly think Atlas massively overestimates how big of a deal this is. I honestly don’t think it’s going to significantly hurt his chances if he’s been an ex-Governor for 2 years.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »

Yeah, it’s 2024 or never. Just look at Cruz. His one shot to win was 2016, and now he’s a National laughing stock if he ever ran again.

Well, I could see him get another try in 2028 if he either comes very close at the nomination (and Trump subsequently losing) or DeSantis narrowly losing to Biden and overperforming expectations. However, both would require him to at least run in 2024. If he sits the election out, there's a high probability you're correct.
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 04:14:34 PM »

Let’s draw the Reagan comparison just for kicks and grins. Served 2 full terms ran for president lost in primary. Ran again 4 years later and won.

I’m not entirely convinced he’s old news if he comes up short in 2024, or even doesn’t run. He might very well sit it out in the assumption things largely improve and a Republican can’t win anyway in 2024 and let trump fall in his own sword.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 06:07:55 AM »

DeSantis still has over 90M CoH in his Bank Account! Of Course he is going to run!
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 09:00:49 AM »

It is possible, yes, but there is certainly a constituency for him.  He is one of the few "most electable" candidates in recent years that actually generates enthusiasm with his party's base.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »

Let’s draw the Reagan comparison just for kicks and grins. Served 2 full terms ran for president lost in primary. Ran again 4 years later and won.

I’m not entirely convinced he’s old news if he comes up short in 2024, or even doesn’t run. He might very well sit it out in the assumption things largely improve and a Republican can’t win anyway in 2024 and let trump fall in his own sword.

Reagan had the ability to drive a narrative by his campaigning skills though while DeSantis clearly drives it through his actions while in power .

So once he is out of power in 2027, the question becomes could he drive a narrative . Also the Republican Party was in horrific shape from 1974-1980 so it wasn’t as if Reagan had much competition either .
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 01:34:32 PM »

It's 2024 or never for DeSantis.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 01:50:02 PM »

Well, I could see him get another try in 2028 if he either comes very close at the nomination (and Trump subsequently losing) or DeSantis narrowly losing to Biden and overperforming expectations. However, both would require him to at least run in 2024. If he sits the election out, there's a high probability you're correct.

If DeSantis loses in 2024, he's finished in Presidential politics. At best he'd go the way of Romney and get elected to the Senate if/when Rubio or Scott call it quits.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 02:28:59 PM »

I actually think that as long as he managed to hold his own in the primaries with Trump later going on to lose the general, he could still remain relevant for 2028 by claiming runner up status. Especially considering the GOP's old tradition of nominating the second choice finisher from the previous primary.

Otherwise, I agree that waiting until 2028 runs the risk of him being old news by then.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 02:38:06 PM »

Certainly.  He has a young family and a wife who recently had cancer.  But if he ever wants to be president, playing the wait-and-see game is not a good bet.  He's most likely old news by 2028 (just ask Presidents Christie and Huckabee!)    

If DeSantis loses in 2024, he's finished in Presidential politics. At best he'd go the way of Romney and get elected to the Senate if/when Rubio or Scott call it quits.

Even if he starts as underdog in the summer of 2024 and just narrowly falls short? Even Al Gore would have been the nominee in 2004 again, if he wanted to.

Or wouldn't Republican voters forgive him losing to Biden?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 03:02:24 PM »

I honestly think Atlas massively overestimates how big of a deal this is. I honestly don’t think it’s going to significantly hurt his chances if he’s been an ex-Governor for 2 years.
Yep, this is just another instance of Atlas conventional wisdom that isn’t actually based in reality
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 04:21:20 PM »

Yes, but anything can happen
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »

Certainly.  He has a young family and a wife who recently had cancer.  But if he ever wants to be president, playing the wait-and-see game is not a good bet.  He's most likely old news by 2028 (just ask Presidents Christie and Huckabee!)    

Even if he starts as underdog in the summer of 2024 and just narrowly falls short? Even Al Gore would have been the nominee in 2004 again, if he wanted to.

Or wouldn't Republican voters forgive him losing to Biden?

I doubt it. If they didn't forgive Romney for losing to Obama (and this was before Romney became a thorn in Trump's a*s as a Senator), then I doubt they'd forgive DeSantis.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2022, 12:59:17 PM »

At this point I think it'd be really shocking if he didn't. When consideringing the midterms and Trump's post-midterm behavior, it's very obvious to me and to everyone else that he is crazier than he has ever been and that America has less patience for it than it did in the past. It's also clear that Trump is surrounding himself with more and more unhinged people. If Trump wins, expect the most insane term ever, filled with no one but D-list celebrities and neo-nazis. There won't be a single adult in the room and it'll result in a damn-near annihilation of the GOP down-ballot in the long run and ruin whatever hope they might still have of building a coalition that can outlive the boomers.

DeSantis seems for the moment to be the only person who can prevent this from happening, so I think they're going to do everything in their power to make sure that he runs and runs alone without interference from washed-up GOP competitors that will split the vote like they did in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies