Who can beat Menendez in a primary? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:39:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who can beat Menendez in a primary? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who can beat Menendez in a primary?  (Read 1880 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 26, 2022, 09:12:40 PM »

Very interesting - I mean, it actually could be possible he'd do that (unironically), but I still find it very unlikely. It's been known to happen that senators who leave office switch to the other senate seat (Goldwater, most prominently), or people who run for a senate seat and then lose run successfully for the state's other senate seat later on - but for an incumbent senator to run for the state's other senate seat, that'd be very unusual indeed (a first?). I would dismiss it completely, and probably still will, but it's not entirely possible if Menendez becomes a bigger embarrassment and Booker wants to prove something.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 09:13:11 PM »

Lol. Though in seriousness, he does have a House seat now, of course, and who knows, he might run for his father's seat when Bob retires.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 12:08:49 AM »

Very interesting - I mean, it actually could be possible he'd do that (unironically), but I still find it very unlikely. It's been known to happen that senators who leave office switch to the other senate seat (Goldwater, most prominently), or people who run for a senate seat and then lose run successfully for the state's other senate seat later on - but for an incumbent senator to run for the state's other senate seat, that'd be very unusual indeed (a first?). I would dismiss it completely, and probably still will, but it's not entirely possible if Menendez becomes a bigger embarrassment and Booker wants to prove something.

Kent Conrad promised in 1986 not to run for re-election if the budget deficit didn't fall, which was moderately stupid on his part. Quentin Burdick, who held the other seat, died, allowing Conrad to run in the special election for the other seat.

Yeah, I remember reading that on Wikipedia fairly recently. I read about it a few years back as well, but I guess I didn't remember when I wrote this post.

Regarding Conrad, though, one wonders where his political career would've gone had Burdick not died at that frankly opportune moment for Conrad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies