"Swamp Yankees"

(1/1)

TransfemmeGoreVidal:
In a recent thread the topic of "swamp yankees" came up, which is basically a term for poorer white protestant New Englanders and how they trended more Democratic in the modern era, beginning perhaps with Clinton and maybe to a lesser degree with LBJ and Humphrey. It got me thinking, historically how have their voting patterns differed from wealthier WASPs?

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee:
Quote from: Asenath Waite on November 20, 2022, 07:47:51 PM

In a recent thread the topic of "swamp yankees" came up, which is basically a term for poorer white protestant New Englanders and how they trended more Democratic in the modern era, beginning perhaps with Clinton and maybe to a lesser degree with LBJ and Humphrey. It got me thinking, historically how have their voting patterns differed from wealthier WASPs?

I have typically not even used the word Yankee inclusively to describe WASPs, partially because when I think of former group, I don't think of rich people on Cape Cod or the UES, I think of Protestant farmers in rural Vermont or Maine.

If you go back to the Civil War period, the former group would have been the first to join the Republicans, while the later would have been more keen to stick with the Whigs, leave politics, become Democrats or come around to the GOP late.

If you go back further the former group would skew Jeffersonian, while the latter skews Federalist.

Blow by blow, the passion dies:
Quote from: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee on November 20, 2022, 11:05:46 PM

I have typically not even used the word Yankee inclusively to describe WASPs, partially because when I think of former group, I don't think of rich people on Cape Cod or the UES, I think of Protestant farmers in rural Vermont or Maine.

If you go back to the Civil War period, the former group would have been the first to join the Republicans, while the later would have been more keen to stick with the Whigs, leave politics, become Democrats or come around to the GOP late.

If you go back further the former group would skew Jeffersonian, while the latter skews Federalist.

I use Yankee to refer to US citizens, regardless of region

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee:
Quote from: LeonelBrizola on November 21, 2022, 05:40:07 PM

Quote from: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee on November 20, 2022, 11:05:46 PM

I use Yankee to refer to US citizens, regardless of region

Foreigners: Yankee = All US Citizens
Southerners: All Northerners (usually with an expletive in front of it)

Actual definition (that used by Kevin Phillips) is a White Protestant of mostly or all English ancestry whose ancestors first settled in New England and whose descendants spread across the Northern United States, with particular concentrations in Upstate New York, Northern Pennsylvania, central Michigan, Northern Indiana, Northeast Ohio, Central Ohio, Southeast Ohio, Northern Illinois, The Willamette Valley in Oregon, Kansas, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index