How did Trump do so well in NH in 2016 considering NH consisntely rejects MAGA at federal level?

<< < (3/3)

TheElectoralBoobyPrize:
Quote from: Cyrusman on March 14, 2023, 06:08:47 PM

Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on February 02, 2023, 06:50:30 PM

Everyone's saying Hillary so I'll say something different: Trump had an appeal in the state (and in other New England states) in 2016 that he just wouldn't have afterwards.

What appeal did he have in New England in 2016 that would quickly fade?

As he had only been a candidate at this point and never held office, he was still seen as a moderate on policy, even if his persona wasn't.

Interlocutor is just not there yet:
The same reasons he did well in MN despite performing worse than Romney and Dubya

100% pro-life no matter what:
Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on March 14, 2023, 08:59:01 PM

Everyone's saying Hillary so I'll say something different: Trump had an appeal in the state (and in other New England states) in 2016 that he just wouldn't have afterwards.

As he had only been a candidate at this point and never held office, he was still seen as a moderate on policy, even if his persona wasn't.

And, I think his brash style and persona was probably less jarring in the Northeast than other parts of the country because it's more culturally/stereotypically common there.

DaleCooper:
Trump tricked a lot of people (including people who chose to vote third-party instead of for Clinton) into thinking that he wasn't a typical fringe rightwing Republican. Once he was president for a while everyone with a brain realized that wasn't true.

FEMA Camp Administrator:
Quote from: TheElectoralBoobyPrize on March 14, 2023, 08:59:01 PM

Lest we forget, the Northeastern primaries were effectively a two-man race between Trump and Kasich--that Trump won.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page