Will Democrats win the Georgia Governorship in 2026?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:26:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Democrats win the Georgia Governorship in 2026?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will Democrats win the Georgia Governorship in 2026?  (Read 3161 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2023, 10:54:14 PM »

If Trump is president, then probably so but I think Republicans would win an open contest during a Biden midterm. 
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2023, 11:43:37 PM »

Probably down to the environment, and if Rs nominate a competent candidate.

The Dem sweep of the 2021 runoffs was a combination of it being the peak of the post-2020 ballot harvesting fearmongering (which I'm certain hurt turnout), plus Loeffler's big insider trading scandal. In 2022, the issue for Rs was that Walker was a horrible candidate.

This is doubtful given that Perdue lost by a similar margin. In fact, the 2021 runoffs arguably foreshadowed the historic Republican national underperformance in the November 2022 elections.

As for the question, it’s very possible even in a R-friendly environment. At this point, I don’t think there are many Republicans in GA who could win a primary and also avoid a runoff (-> automatic D advantage) in the GE.

I think this is going to be a huge problem Rs will need to address going forwards; in many states I think the current R incumbents might be the only "non-Trumpy" R who has the ability to win a primary in normal circumstances. Once they're term-limited or just retire, the GOP will have a harder time winning elections.

A lot can change by 2026 though and maybe the Republican primary voters begin to see that some of these people they're nominating keep losing GEs, and will choose more palatable folks.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 05:25:01 AM »

It feels like it will be an Arizona 2022 repeat.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2023, 06:09:26 AM »

The Dem sweep of the 2021 runoffs was a combination of it being the peak of the post-2020 ballot harvesting fearmongering (which I'm certain hurt turnout), plus Loeffler's big insider trading scandal. In 2022, the issue for Rs was that Walker was a horrible candidate.

This is doubtful given that Perdue lost by a similar margin. In fact, the 2021 runoffs arguably foreshadowed the historic Republican national underperformance in the November 2022 elections.

As for the question, it’s very possible even in a R-friendly environment. At this point, I don’t think there are many Republicans in GA who could win a primary and also avoid a runoff (-> automatic D advantage) in the GE.

I think this is going to be a huge problem Rs will need to address going forwards; in many states I think the current R incumbents might be the only "non-Trumpy" R who has the ability to win a primary in normal circumstances. Once they're term-limited or just retire, the GOP will have a harder time winning elections.

A lot can change by 2026 though and maybe the Republican primary voters begin to see that some of these people they're nominating keep losing GEs, and will choose more palatable folks.

I do think there’s a lot of truth to that in that incumbent “non-Trumpy” officeholders fended off Trump kamikazeists, but I’m doubtful that, for example, Brad Raffensperger would win a primary for Governor. There’s a difference between renominating him for Secretary of State versus nominating him in an open seat race for Governor. The Fulton County indictment would probably destroy his chances for a primary run for Governor in 2026.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2023, 06:52:05 AM »

Not Stacey Abrams, probably. She's done.

Ego and fame got in her head. Should have stayed low.

Can't be Stacey Evans either because black people won't turn out.

Jon Ossoff, if he is tired of DC.

A young handsome governor is what Democrats need heading into the 2030s.
Heavily depends on the R nominee. Raffensperger would be favored to win, just like Kemp.
I think Burt Jones, the next Lt. Gov, will almost certainly be the nominee. He's supported by all wings of the party and even got an endorsement from Kwanza Hall.

How did he manage to do this? He's an election denier.

Hall being a sour loser after Charlie Bailey beat him in the primary.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »

The environment is still changing there. It would have to be a perfect storm of Biden winning, a recession happening after the election, Republicans running a good candidate and Democrats running a poor candidate to make the race Lean R. Then again, things will have go the other way by the same amount for the Democrat to have an advantage.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2023, 02:44:53 PM »

I will also point out that Democrats largely successfully turned Kemp into an "election denier" before it was cool (i.e., pre-insurrection.)  He still went on to be reelected in a better-than-expected environment for Democrats.  I think partisan turnover among White suburbrons is always slower at the state/local level, and this may again be enough to save the GA-GOP in 2026. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »

I will also point out that Democrats largely successfully turned Kemp into an "election denier" before it was cool (i.e., pre-insurrection.)  He still went on to be reelected in a better-than-expected environment for Democrats.  I think partisan turnover among White suburbrons is always slower at the state/local level, and this may again be enough to save the GA-GOP in 2026. 

Abrams was the election denier
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2023, 04:14:05 PM »

I disagree with this interpretation. By the time 2022 rolled around, Kemp was not seen as an election denier or Trump supporter. If anything, swing voters probably viewed him as moderate because of Trump's opposition to him.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2023, 05:07:52 PM »

Now you're dreaming.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2023, 06:57:32 PM »

What about Michelle Nunn or Jason Carter, or are they done for good?

Michelle Nunn ran for the Senate in 2014 and Jason Carter ran for Governor

They both lost but didn't they do better than they were expected to?  They both received around 45% of the vote in a tough midterm.
MuskieMoment
Rookie
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2023, 12:10:12 PM »

How are we feeling about Jason Carter? He did respectably in 2014 given that he was running against an incumbent in a terrible environment for Democrats
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2023, 01:00:00 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2023, 01:44:59 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

Not against Raff, that's for sure, especially in a Biden six year itch midterm(which I don't think will be as rosy as the last one). But the row offices could be interesting
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2023, 01:30:15 PM »

Heavily depends on the R nominee. Raffensperger would be favored to win, just like Kemp.
. Possibly, but for obvious reasons he will have significant problems in the primary
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2023, 01:31:24 PM »

I think Burt Jones, the next Lt. Gov, will almost certainly be the nominee. He's supported by all wings of the party and even got an endorsement from Kwanza Hall.

How did he manage to do this? He's an election denier.

I believe you just answered your own question.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2023, 01:32:28 PM »

What about Keisha Lance Bottoms?

I also think Lucy McBath would be a good choice.

State voters tend to hate their resident big city, and be suspicious of pols from there. Folks like Ed Rendell are very much the exception to the rule.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2023, 01:36:38 PM »

What about Michelle Nunn or Jason Carter, or are they done for good?

Michelle Nunn ran for the Senate in 2014 and Jason Carter ran for Governor

They both lost but didn't they do better than they were expected to?  They both received around 45% of the vote in a tough midterm.

Both are considered ancient history
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »

Jason Esteves for the Dems?  Not really sure who they'd go with here...
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »

I'll say this : they have to be black.

Stacey would run again but it would be Lean-R imo

Ossoff is white and could win, though I think he wants to stay in the Senate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2023, 06:41:09 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2023, 06:46:35 PM by Хahar 🤔 »

Jason Esteves for the Dems?  Not really sure who they'd go with here...

There's no shortage of ambitious Democrats in Georgia. I don't pay attention like I used to, but my pick is still Jen Jordan. She would have had a higher profile if she had won her race last year, but she couldn't help being dragged down by the top of the ticket. Josh McLaurin (my former state representative in Sandy Springs) is another Democrat I'd expect to pursue statewide office, although I don't know that it would be the governorship.

It is obviously not going to be Keisha Lance Bottoms, who is very clearly not interested in electoral politics and would be obliterated if she were to run in a statewide general election anyway. Georgia Democrats don't nominate Atlanta municipal politicians, and for good reason.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2023, 09:07:28 AM »

Still sticking to my prediction that barring another realignment, the D pick up Georgia in 2026 if Biden loses.
MuskieMoment
Rookie
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2023, 09:32:06 AM »

How are peeps feeling about Jason Carter? He didn’t do badly running in 2014 against an incumbent during the buzzsaw that was the 2014 midterms.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies