ME-Senate 2024: Return of the King?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:15:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME-Senate 2024: Return of the King?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: ME-Senate 2024: Return of the King?  (Read 3025 times)
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »
« edited: March 18, 2024, 12:11:21 PM by Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins »

Discuss the Maine senate race here.

Angus King said he will decide early next year whether to run for reelection.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/05/senate-dems-reelection-00060062

Jared Golden seems the obvious choice to run to replace him should he would retire and he would likely win by a large margin. Similarly I expect King should he run to win rather comfortably.

Another democrat may have more of a race of their hands.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 02:43:11 PM »

Jared Golden seems the obvious choice to run to replace him should he would retire and he would likely win by a large margin. Similarly I expect King should he run to win rather comfortably.

Why any Democrat would vote for a DINO like Jared Golden in a statewide Democratic primary in Maine is a mystery.  No surprise that Republicans are already trying gaslight us into thinking that we need him to win statewide in Maine.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 02:46:46 PM »

Why any Democrat would vote for a DINO like Jared Golden in a statewide Democratic primary in Maine is a mystery.  No surprise that Republicans are already trying gaslight us into thinking that we need him to win statewide in Maine.
This plus it would be very dumb to put his house seat at risk
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 02:47:40 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2022, 02:54:42 PM by KaiserDave »

King basically said in 2018 it was his last race. I doubt he goes for it again. Edit: After reading the article it seems that 2018-2022 has made him more optimistic, which I don't blame him for. Maybe he will run...

If he does, I welcome it. He's a good man with a good voting record, his Instagram is run by him and is very pleasant. FF! Maine is such a nice state.

If he doesn't, then the obvious choice (as it should have been for 2020) is Troy Jackson! A tremendous guy. A logger from Fort Kent in the far, far northern reaches of Maine on the Canadian border who endorsed Bernie twice and takes up hard fights for the workers. Would love to see him in the U.S. Senate and would have loved even more to see a delegation with him and Angus King both from 2021 to 2025.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 02:51:13 PM »

King basically said in 2018 it was his last race. I doubt he goes for it again.

If he does, I welcome it. He's a good man with a good voting record, his Instagram is run by him and is very pleasant. FF! Maine is such a nice state.

If he doesn't, then the obvious choice (as it should have been for 2020) is Troy Jackson! A tremendous guy. A logger from Fort Kent in the far, far northern reaches of Maine on the Canadian border who endorsed Bernie twice and takes up hard fights for the workers. Would love to see him in the U.S. Senate and would have loved even more to see a delegation with him and Angus King both from 2021 to 2025.

Yeah, Troy Jackson would be a solid choice. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 02:52:46 PM »

All our incumbents are safe except for Manchin and we can target FL with DEMINGS or Graham
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 02:57:19 PM »

I will tolerate literally anyone other than Jared Golden. Chellie or Hannah Pingree are my first choices.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »

King basically said in 2018 it was his last race. I doubt he goes for it again. Edit: After reading the article it seems that 2018-2022 has made him more optimistic, which I don't blame him for. Maybe he will run...

Troy Jackson is amazing and would be a tremendous Senator! We don't need another Manchin. Golden can keep his schtick in the House where he's one of 435, but he'd do too much damage in the Senate.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 03:06:50 PM »

I think Golden would be a great nominee.  He's a centrist yes, but Maine is a centrist state (Who's the other Senator from Maine again?).  Golden knows how to win elections, and he'd be a reliable vote for all the important stuff in the Senate.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 03:08:20 PM »

Why any Democrat would vote for a DINO like Jared Golden in a statewide Democratic primary in Maine is a mystery.  No surprise that Republicans are already trying gaslight us into thinking that we need him to win statewide in Maine.

I think Golden would be a great nominee.  He's a centrist yes, but Maine is a centrist state (Who's the other Senator from Maine again?).  Golden knows how to win elections, and he'd be a reliable vote for all the important stuff in the Senate.

Roll Eyes

This man was also supposedly a reliable vote:

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 03:11:37 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2022, 03:14:55 PM by The Address That Must Not be Named »

Why any Democrat would vote for a DINO like Jared Golden in a statewide Democratic primary in Maine is a mystery.  No surprise that Republicans are already trying gaslight us into thinking that we need him to win statewide in Maine.

I think Golden would be a great nominee.  He's a centrist yes, but Maine is a centrist state (Who's the other Senator from Maine again?).  Golden knows how to win elections, and he'd be a reliable vote for all the important stuff in the Senate.

Golden is not a centrist.  He’s a right-wing DINO in the Sinemanchin mold.  Maine is a no worse than center-left state.  Tolerating Golden b/c he’s holding down a Trumpy seat is one thing.  Running him for Senate in Maine would be beyond unjustifiable.  
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 03:12:36 PM »

Golden is definitely heterodox, I wouldn't call him a Manchin, definitely not a Sinema, far from a Gottheimer, but he has made some problems. I think he's a lot less right wing than people are saying though. But he's not my choice either.

For those who think he's the only guy who can win, or that he is uniquely strong, any argument for Jared Golden is easily met or exceeded by Troy Jackson.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 03:13:43 PM »

Golden is definitely heterodox, I wouldn't call him a Manchin, definitely not a Sinema, far from a Gottheimer, but he has made some problems. He's not my choice either.

For those who think he's the only guy who can win, or that he is uniquely strong, any argument for Jared Golden is easily met or exceeded by Troy Jackson.

Actually, I’d argue he’s well to the right of Gottheimer Tongue
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2022, 03:13:46 PM »

Golden is NOT running!

On the Democratic side, there would be big dominoes to fall. Some speculated U.S. Rep. Jared Golden of the 2nd District would be a good candidate, even though he told the Bangor Daily News in a recent interview that he is not thinking about any run for Senate in 2024.

bangordailynews.com/2020/11/16/politics/daily-brief/angus-king-appointment-rumor-sparks-too-early-talk-of-maines-political-realignment/

That is not a denial, and means nothing with King's decision not made yet.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 03:18:01 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2022, 03:26:24 PM by KaiserDave »

Golden is definitely heterodox, I wouldn't call him a Manchin, definitely not a Sinema, far from a Gottheimer, but he has made some problems. He's not my choice either.

Well I wasn't really measuring them on a left-right scale so much as they are very different politicians with very different priorities. Gottheimer is basically a socially liberal center-rightist who just cares about dumping money on his North Jersey already affluent constituents. Golden is a northern Maine populist who combines an enthusiasm for government intervention (protectionism, his strong support for prescription drug reform) with being a deficit hawk and pro-gun. He's also taken some unique positions like being in favor of prisoner voting. Very very different (they also take diametrically opposite positions on SALT). I don't like Golden that much but he's a unique character, and I'd take him over Gottheimer, probably over Sinema too. I also do not want him in the Senate, especially when Troy Jackson is right there.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 03:23:44 PM »

LOL at calling Golden a DINO. He voted to impeach Trump twice despite representing the reddest seat in the House for Dems (before Peltola came along), and voted for the IRA. He’s idiosyncratic and knows how to take strategic votes against his party when it doesn’t matter. Very much like Susan Collins in that regard.

In any event, Troy Jackson would be a solid choice in 2024 or 2026. I think only Golden or Jackson would stand any chance at all of beating Collins in 2024. No one from ME-01 can win against her.
Dani Rose
danixander92
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 03:30:58 PM »

For what it's worth, I think Golden would move left as soon as he didn't have to exclusively represent the deepest, reddest, most middle of nowhere parts of Maine. With that said, I think Jackson is still roundly the better choice.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »

I have a hunch that Golden would move significantly left in the Senate knowing that he doesn't have to win ME-02 outright anymore, just get a decent showing to be guaranteed victory in any environment. Not my first choice though, we have safer options. However, I will say that I think whoever we run should really be from ME-02.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »

What makes people think Troy Jackson is a particularly strong candidate?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 03:47:01 PM »

For starters, he holds a Trump +11 state senate seat that it looks like Jared Golden even lost this year.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »

Depends on the issue. So was Kirsten Gillibrand too until she ran for senate. My problem with golden isn’t that he’s a “moderate,” it’s that he’s whoever the focus groups/consultants tell him he needs to be. But I also assume that means he would shift appropriately left to win this seat. Forgot about Jackson tho, he’s my #1 and should def be golden’s replacement if he runs
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 03:52:43 PM »

1. Just won a LePage+12 seat by 5 in an age with historically low ticket splitting against a pretty credible opponent 2. From ME-02; preventing Collins-style domination of that area is key for consistent D victories on the state level

EDIT: Also, re: Golden, I learned recently that he ruled out running for Senate at least in 2024; I think he may take a break from politics then to focus on his family. He may mount a comeback bid when Collins decides to retire
Spectator
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 03:57:22 PM »

1. Just won a LePage+12 seat by 5 in an age with historically low ticket splitting against a pretty credible opponent 2. From ME-02; preventing Collins-style domination of that area is key for consistent D victories on the state level

EDIT: Also, re: Golden, I learned recently that he ruled out running for Senate at least in 2024; I think he may take a break from politics then to focus on his family. He may mount a comeback bid when Collins decides to retire

He did win the highly coveted 3rd term which is significant for retirement benefits from Congress, so that is something to watch. But he is also married to a Democrat politician too, so they may also be true believers in that Golden is needed to stay in the House as one of the only Dems that can win that seat.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »

MY QUEEN IS ALIVE

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 04:37:48 PM »

LOL at calling Golden a DINO. He voted to impeach Trump twice despite representing the reddest seat in the House for Dems (before Peltola came along), and voted for the IRA. He’s idiosyncratic and knows how to take strategic votes against his party when it doesn’t matter. Very much like Susan Collins in that regard.

In any event, Troy Jackson would be a solid choice in 2024 or 2026. I think only Golden or Jackson would stand any chance at all of beating Collins in 2024. No one from ME-01 can win against her.

So we run a generic Dem in 2024 and Troy Jackson in 2026 against Collins.  Problem solved Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies