California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:57:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 64
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 61917 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2023, 01:10:29 AM »

lmfao
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #276 on: January 31, 2023, 01:42:19 AM »

Who the hell cares about Nina Turner? She’s not relevant anymore.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2023, 02:12:37 AM »

Who the hell cares about Nina Turner? She’s not relevant anymore.

And we are all better for that
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2023, 03:41:31 AM »

I'm trying to figure out why Adam Schiff, turning 64 y.o. in 2024, is going to run for the Senate after he's served 24 years in the House. Does he plan to only serve two terms in the Senate if he wins? Three terms, max?

I genuinely thought he was in his late 40s, he looks pretty good for his age.

He has a vegan diet and is an avid bicyclist.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2023, 09:21:38 AM »

I'm actually really curious to see how Latinos and Asians achieve more political power in NorCal moving forward. A bunch of white, unremarkable Dems are sitting on v diverse seats in the house that will be very competitive when they open up (and tbh would be for a brave progressive of color now): Swalwell, Lofgren, Thompson, Garamendi, and DeSaulnier all come to mind--although the latter two probably have the progressive street cred to quash a challenge. Garamendi has gotta either retire or die soon tho he has been in California politics forever.

In the state legislature, where term limits ensure turnover, you do see this process taking place. Interstate 880, along which the largest part of the Bay Area's Asian population lives, is represented in the Assembly from south to north by Evan Low, Ash Kalra, Alex Lee, Liz Ortega, and Mia Bonta. The Senate delegation is a lot whiter, but it's still a big difference from the way things were when I got into politics fifteen years ago. I think that that'll filter up as people do retire.

As someone who grew up and lives in a mixed Indian/Chinese community, the ethnic breakdown of Asian officeholders is interesting to me. The most nationally prominent Asian politician from the Bay Area is Indian, of course, but aside from Khanna there aren't a lot of notable names that are Indian. (I suppose there's a chance that someday Rishi Kumar's congressional campaigns accomplish something other than providing volunteer experience for local teens looking to burnish their college applications, but I'm not counting on it.) Local government tends to have a lot more Chinese than Indian officeholders. In any case, as of yet neither community of recent immigrants is meaningfully politically organized. (The old Cantonese community of San Francisco is a different story.) If a strong Chinese or Indian political network were to develop, it would have serious consequences in the Bay Area.

Tbh I think this may be why the CA redistricting commission did such odd and ugly lines in the South Bay. When I drew California for my redistricting project (shameless plug for my redistricting project, please tell me how I screwed up), it was really striking the sheer number of districts in the Bay Area which are very diverse and plurality Asian or Latino on total population, but then are plurality white on CVAP, often by a decent amount. If you care about protecting the VRA and expanding minority representation, it begins to feel a little frustrating, but you can't really up those numbers without drawing outright awful districts, as the commission chose to do in the South Bay.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2023, 07:52:09 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why Adam Schiff, turning 64 y.o. in 2024, is going to run for the Senate after he's served 24 years in the House. Does he plan to only serve two terms in the Senate if he wins? Three terms, max?

I genuinely thought he was in his late 40s, he looks pretty good for his age.

He has a vegan diet and is an avid bicyclist.

Atherton Tossup->Safe Schiff
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #281 on: February 02, 2023, 09:02:05 AM »

Pelosi has conditionally endorsed Schiff, baring Feinstein chooses not to run.

Plus a massive number of current and former reps, including a large number of progressives.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2023, 09:10:17 AM »

California politics has become downright feudal in the past decade. Newsom and Schiff’s only appeal is that they’re next in line to the throne.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #283 on: February 02, 2023, 09:40:57 AM »

California politics has become downright feudal in the past decade. Newsom and Schiff’s only appeal is that they’re next in line to the throne.

Schiff made himself a name during the Trump years. That's the main reason he has my firm support.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2023, 09:45:51 AM »

It’s because the mainstream Democratic Party is a feudal organization. Don’t get me wrong - I have and always will unless things change vote Dem. But I know what the party is. It’s the institution original purposed to protect slavery. Now it fulfills the same role for financial capitalism, which for me a working class Californian born without tons of money looks pretty feudal itself.

BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #285 on: February 02, 2023, 10:16:58 AM »

Who the hell are Republicans even going to run? I think this'll end up being a D vs D lockout.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2023, 10:23:27 AM »

Who the hell are Republicans even going to run? I think this'll end up being a D vs D lockout.

The national GOP will just ignore the race (wisely to do), with some random candidates taking votes from each other so that neither will advance to the November election. I think it will be a Schiff vs. Porter showdown.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2023, 12:15:15 PM »

The national GOP will just ignore the race (wisely to do), with some random candidates taking votes from each other so that neither will advance to the November election. I think it will be a Schiff vs. Porter showdown.

The only way Republicans could even have a SLIVER of a chance of making it to the general is if either Garcia or Kim run, and even then I can't guarantee it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2023, 12:22:03 PM »

Schiff isn't gonna win it's gonna be Porter, either way v Feinstein or Schiff in the runoff she Porter is gonna win
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2023, 02:18:49 PM »

Lee has been consistently progressive and anti interventionist and a term or two in the Senate would be a well deserved capstone to her brave career. Hopefully Porter and Schiff tear each other down all campaign and she can unite NorCal, most of the Black vote, and progressives who value substance over soundbytes.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2023, 02:55:35 PM »

Sanders has been privately urging Khanna to jump in, but he's waiting to see what Lee does (presumably meaning Khanna would throw his support behind Lee should she run):

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/california-senate-race-sets-clash-titans-rcna67397
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2023, 02:59:27 PM »

Feinstein still a possibility? Heck, I almost want her to run at this point just to see how she gets embarrassed in a fifth or sixth place finish.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2023, 03:23:47 PM »

Feinstein still a possibility? Heck, I almost want her to run at this point just to see how she gets embarrassed in a fifth or sixth place finish.

Is she even aware of what's happening right now?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2023, 03:30:14 PM »

LoL  Porter and  Feinstein will do very well upstate CA Schiff does well downstate Porter is the fav but Feinstein or Porter can get 46% in primary and 52% in runiff

Porter does well because she has Warren behind her and CA voted for Bernie over Biden in 20 primary alot of Blks and Latinos like Warren, Porter and Bernie, Blks and Females Latinas are definitely voting for Porter the Blks voted for Bernie
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2023, 03:41:08 PM »

Porter v Schiff is Newsom g Elder II Newsom winning upstate Elder winning downstate and Schiff winning downstate that's why he is down 11
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »

If Feinstein runs I think she’ll become the de facto Republican candidate should no big names jump in.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2023, 04:02:03 PM »

If Feinstein runs I think she’ll become the de facto Republican candidate should no big names jump in.

Didn't Republicans hate her with passion for some reason for several years?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2023, 04:05:38 PM »

Didn't Republicans hate her with passion for some reason for several years?

Probably? But between her and Schiff or Porter she’s the most conservative and probably has the least hate among republicans. Porter is despised as a “young” progressive woman and Warren protege, Schiff was the tip of the spear during the trump impeachment so he’s a persona non grata. Feinstein is the least objectionable
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2023, 09:08:14 PM »

Lee has been consistently progressive and anti interventionist and a term or two in the Senate would be a well deserved capstone to her brave career. Hopefully Porter and Schiff tear each other down all campaign and she can unite NorCal, most of the Black vote, and progressives who value substance over soundbytes.

This is what I've been praying for ever since it became clear that none of DiFi, Breed, or Khanna will be getting in, but I'm having doubts for the first time now in light of Pelosi & that humongous list of Schiff/Porter/Lee's colleagues backing Schiff.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2023, 10:52:23 PM »

The Dem candidate process for this is like arranged marriages in Game of Thrones except the goal is to satisfy as many constituent groups as possible. Schiff is from Southern California but grew up in the North, is Jewish, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies